Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Sixers, Feb 12

This game is basically do or die for Season 2015 for the brave 36ers. Once again the old warhorses of the competition slog it out in Wollongong in a battle that will decide the final 4. The Sixers can't rely on the good old Bluegummers south of the River Murray to do our dirty work for us. There’s nothing Kiwis love better than roasted roo, preferably well done and that game in Auckland should be a classic. Sixers fans have to assume New Zealand will break United.

Jerome Randle is back, and that can only mean one thing. It’s SHOWTIME!

Let's face it, this game will be intense, tighter than Clive Palmer's skivvy, hotter than Wendy Botha in a wetsuit, and more physical than a bikie gang's initiation ceremony. I wouldn't put it past the refs to do a John Howard and slip on some kevlar, or at least make sure their shirts are beer resistant.

The equation for the Sixers is easier than Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. Win, win, win.

The Hawks have booked their Golden Ticket, the Sixers just need to book theirs with a win. Lets go Sixers!

Sixers by 3.......in OT

Topic #38964 | Report this topic

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Just hope the refs don't decide who makes the top 4, let them play hardball!

Reply #577223 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice intro' Jack, yes it is showtime, just the platform the 6'ers like to perform on.

Usually!

The key will be Randle, his fitness will be tested early, if he survives the game the 6'ers are a chance, if his injury is not 100%, POW you guys are out...

Reply #577248 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Yes the key is Randle.

We really need him to play a "captains game" and set up some assists to get Gibbo and Ere alight and DJ sighted in before he risks his knee too much. Five or six first quarter assists would be great.

I believe he has the talent and the grit to really turn it on at will but if he sets up the team first we have a great chance.

Joey's tactics were exposed r18, NZ was train wreck and he didn't fully adjust for Cairns in as much as he didn't set anything up for Ebi early and we need him to fire again.

If Joey gets it Wright we have a chance for two road wins regardless of conspiracies.

Go Sixers

Reply #577257 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You'd think Illawarra would manage minutes for Lisch and Ogilvy tonight, so that may help Adelaide out a bit.

Reply #577260 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So you are suggesting, subtly, that the Hawks are not that fussed if they drop this game Paul?

Reply #577261 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'll leave that to you!!

But given Lisch and Ogilvy have played over 1500 minutes combined this season I think they would be silly not to give them a bit of rest now that a playoff berth is secure, especially as some of the players they'll go up against in a week's time will have had that opportunity.

Reply #577264 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Hawks will win this.

DJ, Gibbo, Teys, Petrie & Sobey to do nothing.

Hopefully Randle can light it up to keep things interesting.

#hardball

Reply #577265 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I think it makes sense, other teams appear to be resting players and preparing for finals, but no coach wants his players or his team taking the foot of the pedal and lose momentum now, so to speak.

Reply #577266 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The other theory might be that the three top teams may rather Adelaide in fourth spot ahead of New Zealand???

Reply #577267 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

@Paul

Joey could assist that decision making by matching their aggressive defense and pushing the boundary there.

Reply #577268 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I wont say it any more after this, but that first play from Ebi Ere sums his season up perfectly absolutely forced crap. Meanwhile when did Kevin White go and get all loco, Randle has owned him every game.

Reply #577367 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Way to use your heads there boys, Joey really has these guys playing smart basketball in a very important game. Guess Joey always makes the finals though, so its all good right... poor effort, game effectively catchup the rest of the way.

Reply #577369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ogilvy is dirty

Reply #577370 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I dont think so, Ebi flopped. Was not much in that at all.

Reply #577375 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

No, Ogilvy threw him to the ground.

Were there 3 unsportsmanlike fouls called on that?

Reply #577380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petrie has always been a thug.

Reply #577381 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah something like that, but wasnt much in it really imo. If we had kept our cool, wouldve been 2 and possession our way. Oh well. The tone has been set now.

Reply #577383 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Since when do unsportsmanlike fouls cancel each other out? I thought that was only on double fouls. Can anyone confirm???

Reply #577384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are the Hawks trying or Sixers suck _that_ much?

Reply #577387 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Can we get rid of " For you kids at home watch this" off the Fox team!
Sick of his talking down attitude as if only he knows about basketball.

Reply #577388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who

Reply #577389 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

So why is everyone booing Randle? I started watching at 2nd Qtr

Reply #577394 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers suck that much, playing with passengers its ugly to watch. Creek is killing the team and himself without having a jump shot. Forces the dribble into the keyway which is always crowded. Joey looks out of ideas, not surprised, not a tactical type. Also Thunder Jam agree, Rosen is painful, and does NOT stop talking!

Reply #577395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50-35 already LOL SIXERS LOL

Reply #577396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just overheard some of the Breakers say "choice bro didn't think it would be this easy to sneak into the playoffs"

Reply #577399 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Daniel "Soft" Johnson

Reply #577400 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

How does Johnson let White win that loose ball. Disgusting lack of effort.

Reply #577401 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Since when do unsportsmanlike fouls cancel each other out? I thought that was only on double fouls."

Since always. You can't give both teams possession.

Reply #577410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Since when do unsportsmanlike fouls cancel each other out? I thought that was only on double fouls."

Since always. You can't give both teams possession.

Reply #577411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can the 36ers play that bad and they were really horrible, yet be down 6!?

Reply #577413 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We're shooting 18/34. That's how.

Reply #577414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

down 8 due to buzzer beater but yeah no idea

Reply #577415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make that 8, just showed the 36ers how to set up an inbounds play.

Reply #577416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After White made a 3 in the first quarter there was an incident and during that incident Randle came in in sighted and shoved White in the back for no reason. USF.

Reply #577417 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

If we go down by 2 points, that end of half turnover will bite.

Reply #577420 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Big opening quarter from the Hawks, I guess that dispels any doubt that they came to play.

How is Randle holding up? Why has Gibson gone MIA?

Reply #577424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like penalties cancel out
USF on Olgivy 2 shots and side ball
USF on Randle 2 shots and side ball

Cancel each other out. ergo you are left with the USF On peach which gave AJ 2 shots and Hawks the side ball

Reply #577425 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Excellent cameo from Teys, changed Adelaide's intensity on D and got them back in the game.

Reply #577427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the plot thickens.

Reply #577428 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Petrie keeping you guys in it...

Reply #577434 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The sooner Gibson is in Brisbane the better

Reply #577435 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

But, it job st doesn't look like the 6'ers are on tonight!

Reply #577436 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...just...

Reply #577437 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Paul your right about Teys, but good luck seeing him again. For some reason he is in the dog house.

Reply #577438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers don't deserve finals. We want quality teams in the dance Mel, Per, Ill & NZ.

Reply #577439 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

When Ebi misses, what other basketball thing does he offer? Serious question. Poor recruiting and poor close out games against the Crocs Taipans to name a few have bitten the Adelaide 36ers. The finals will be damn exciting though, I'm actually hoping for a United Hawks shootout.

Reply #577446 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Weeks > Randle

Tonight!

Reply #577447 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Our defence has been disgusting. We don't deserve to play finals defending like this and we won't be. Absolutely pathetic.

Reply #577448 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I haven't been following the conspiracy theories but which team was supposed to throw this game tonight? Illawarra with Weeks and White doing much of the scoring but somehow the 36ers still manage to be behind.

Reply #577449 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

The half man showing he is all show and no substance, 5ft 5 that can't play defence and is a bloody hog, goes to water when it gets physical

Reply #577451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even with Adelaide losing tonight, they would have still had a small chance of making the finals if they hadn't managed to blow their 15 point cushion over the Breakers in the head to head.

Without having seen that last game against the Breakers did it appear as though the 36ers were doing anything late in the game to manage the margin rather than try to score quickly and win?

Reply #577452 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

A tech foul? No! Didn't think they still existed.

Even more of a joke randomly deciding to whistle it for something as minor as that - even though they've let all kinds go during the season including swearing at referees, taunting viciously etc.

Reply #577453 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

6ers are a rubbish outfit

Reply #577454 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Geez these last few minutes has been amateur hour. Absolute bush league.

Reply #577455 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

embarrassing end to our season. Perth will win by 30 on sunday

Reply #577456 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah that was a horrible way to go out. Play a lick of D and we are in it, that said the Hawks just have so much shooting. Hope they go on to win it this year.

Reply #577458 | Report this post

Slick  
Years ago

How goods that three year deal for Joey looking, he can recruit a few more midgets

Reply #577459 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just my opinion but why anyone would actively go after Gibson as a starting PG (i.e Brisbane) is beyond me. Massively overrated and wouldn't have him as a top 12/13 PG in the league!

Reply #577460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Embarrassing how Nbl fouls at the end, any more than 6 points just don't bother

Reply #577461 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Its looking horrible, all he does is whinge and moan. He isnt great. Has regressed since that first season, and doesnt seem to be able to motivate the guys to perform. The game was lost in the first 50seconds, down 7 of stupidity on the road.

Reply #577462 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not happy, 6ers!

Reply #577465 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

3 more years, then ill be happy haha Going to be a ripping finals series, the teams that made it were always the going to make for the best matchups, especially now the Breakers have clearly got some great counselling sessions in and are on the same page again!

Reply #577469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible way to go out but this was never a playoff calibre team until Randle came along. He almost single-handedly got us into the playoffs.

Just too many passengers. All we've got offensively is Randle and occasionally DJ when he's not sooking and Petrie's the only guy that plays defence.

If I were Joey I would make a statement and not even play Gibbo in Perth. Highest paid player on the team and he checked out on us months ago. Piss off to Brisbane. You can take Ebi & Walker with you too.

Reply #577471 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul your right about Teys, but good luck seeing him again. For some reason he is in the dog house."

Yep, I don't know the background but it seems like a huge mistake not playing him much this season. He was a great foil alongside Ervin and Wilson and would have been next to Randle too.

You don't find high IQ, selfless guys who defend at a high level lying around and Adelaide wasted one this year (unless there was an injury or something we don't know about, but he seemed good to go when put in).

Reply #577474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats why Randall is not in the NBA....Has zero defensive capability.

Reply #577475 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Joey fell in love with Sobey and when Teys did have an injury early on that was that, he got pushed out of the rotation. Problem was, Sobey was terrible and out of control, so just another weird thing that has happened in Adelaide this season.

Reply #577479 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sobey had his place, but offers something completely different to Teys. When Randle was out, they desperately needed Brendan's smarts.

Reply #577480 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So much for my conspiracy theory.

Bevo and his Hawks have integrity.

Good luck vs Perth. Kill em

Reply #577481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A big bonus for finishing third for Illawarra is having homecourt advantage if NZ beat Melbourne in the SFs.

They'd be licking their lips at that prospect after the regular season, although I think the Breakers will be a conpletely different proposition in the playoffs.

The first time they played the Hawks they were without Webster, Vukona and Pledger, and then the next three were pretty soon after Webster's personal issues all blew up and NZ were reeling.

Would be an entertaining GF but I bet the NBL is hoping for Melbourne v Perth with big crowds and Australian TV audiences.

Reply #577482 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

* Sorry, Pledger played a few minutes in that first game against the Hawks.

Reply #577483 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I would've thought the Hawks would be more concerned with getting through the semi finals.

It's a wide open race. Best season in years and I'm thinking both semi finals go to a deciding game.

Reply #577486 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hope so. Re getting through the SFs, if you know Bevo at all he would be supremely confident they can beat Perth.

Reply #577487 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well that was disappointing, not just for the 6's but this "epic" final round has really fizzled.

I can only hope that both Martin & Randle are fighting fit for Sunday, Best Defensive player versus Best Offensive, could be an epic duel.
Not much else to get excited about.

Reply #577488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It's a wide open race. Best season in years and I'm thinking both semi finals go to a deciding game."

I've always thought 2001 was the NBL's best season on court - close to highest-ever level of talent, high-scoring, unpredictable, lots of good teams and playoffs that all went the distance. So far this season has ticked four of those five boxes.

Reply #577493 | Report this post

Flea  
Years ago

Sixers +/- for tonight...

Teys +15
Sobey +7
Walker +3
Hodgson +2
Creek -5
Johnson -9
Gibson -12
Ere -16
Petrie -20
Randle -20

For the season so far...
Creek +65
Randle +53
Johnson +50
Teys +11
Sobey +7
Johns +3
Petrie -2
Larkins -3
Hodgson -4
Ere -5
McNeail -6
Carlin -14
Walker -38
Gibson -62

Reply #577497 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Rhys Martin (born 13 February 1986) QLD junior
Adam Gibson (born 30 October 1986) TAS junior

really from this seaon , and even just this game
who would you pick first to be your starting point gurd in the NBL ?

Reply #577499 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Point Guard :(

Reply #577500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well they will both be in Brisbane next year so Lemanis can answer your question then ;)

Reply #577501 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Junk outfit.

I've said it all season long.
It's a damn midget brigade with no game and the bigs are rubbish.

If Randle wasn't on the roster this season, 6ers had the spoon and you blokes would be screaming for Joeys head.

Reply #577509 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You know they had an import before Randle, right?

Reply #577511 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Yeah we know you've been saying it all season long. We've had to read it time after time after time after time after time after time.

Nah, hasn't been annoying in the slightest.

Reply #577512 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

So it's not a midget brigade?

DJ and Petrie have performed at a high level?

Reply #577514 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Hawks won a game lost the finals just then.

They don't have the depth to go against Perth in the bigs department. Floppage would be licking his lips after watching this game tonight. OJ can't help himself, so a cheap foul with Sean followed by another crap tangle up with Jessie and Hawks are done.

A team that has picked itself up and won championships in the past 5 seasons you don't just let back into the finals if you are in a place to stop it.

Reply #577516 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

FM see where you're coming from, but dont think Perth have the scorers to go with the Hawks to be honest. They have no go to scorers, and if they come out even remotely flat like thet have been of late, Hawks could snacth game one.

Reply #577519 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

So disappointed with the Sixers missing the major round but also looking forward to the finals as all four teams are good enough to win Johnny.

There hasn't been this much intrigue for many years such has been the quality of the competition.

Reply #577520 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

I'd say the Sixers were desperate to some extent, but put that energy and focus to bad use (fighting and physicality), rather than playing the game possession by possession.

Reply #577523 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Ultimately we've got the 4 best teams in the playoffs. Disappointing for the Sixers but should be a great finals series

Reply #577524 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"FM see where you're coming from, but dont think Perth have the scorers to go with the Hawks to be honest."

I think that's where so much comes down to rebounding. If Perth dominate the o-boards the tempo goes in their favour and their quantity of scoring chances can overcome the Hawks' quality.

Reply #577528 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Touch the rim, my thoughts excatly, knew from that incident early they were feeling vulnerable.

Reply #577529 | Report this post

I'm pretty sure the Wildcats have outscored the Hawks four times already this season...

Reply #577532 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Didn't Perth own the Hawks 4-0 including 2 thrashings? I think that's proof in its own to say they have the scorers to match the Hawks.

Reply #577533 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol. Correct.

Brains optional on this thread.

Reply #577534 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"OJ can't help himself, so a cheap foul with Sean followed by another crap tangle up with Jessie and Hawks are done."

So true, even at a rate of 2 to one, 8 fouls spread on Floppsy Mk1, Flopsy Mk2, knight and Big J affects the cats very little, but give 4 on OJ and its dunk city inside for the Cats.

Reply #577538 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah I understand all the Perth winning 4-0 stuff, but the playoffs are different and IMO the Hawks are potentiually peaking at the right time. Pertth fans relax, no need to defend against my thoughts to the full extent. I just think this is a different game now, and the Hawks offence will overcome the Perth grind it out style.

Reply #577540 | Report this post

The Perth wins over the Hawks are also three of their four highest scores for the season. I think the "grind it out" prediction came up before all four of those games too.

Reply #577543 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well then that's well observed of you to remember if so. Think Penney was missing in one of those games but regardless I'm basing my opinion on a hunch and guy feeing that the Hawks are ready to be ruthless offensively and hard to stop.

Reply #577545 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah it's rebounding where the Cats have it over the Hawks.

Control possession and you control the game.

Ogilvy has to play out of his skin and be at his absolute best. Protecting the rim, contesting every board battle and keeping his team competitive in the rebound count. And of course being a target down low.

If he's near his best- which unfortunately he wasn't in the regular season vs Perth- then the Hawks still have a good chance of the upset

Reply #577553 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Why would it be an upset? They have two mvps plus an also Martin and co that a great role player's if Illawarra had hca would it be a upset if perth won? I. Think the winner of this semi win it all. Both teams have champions on their team.

Reply #577555 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Cats are the Hawks bogey team, it doesn't matter on how much talent the Hawks have they just seem to match up really well with them. Same goes with Crocs being the bogey team for Perth this season. Its going to be a massive task for Hawks to win in Perth where they haven't won for many years. But hey it is the finals and it's been a year of weird results.

Reply #577556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another insipid Sixers performance. Good riddance.

Reply #577679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754