Jack Toft
Years ago

Wildcats v Sixers, Feb 14

It's Valentines Day and that means there's love in the air. The big question being, who will be silly enough to propose to his girlfriend in front of all the Wildcat fans at half time? Being the era of PC, it could be a girl asking her girlfriend.

I'ld like to be excited about this game, but this is the classic dead rubber with nothing to play for and everything to lose. I'm about as excited as being the shopping bag holder on a trip to the local Westfield with a bunch of Kardashians.

The TV news reported Gibbo signing up on a $200K/yr contract with Brisbane next year. It seems him and Peach are in doubt for this game, oh well, better send over some development players to cover them.

Perth with everything to lose in this game, but will they be ruled by the heads, or some other appendage? They won't want an injury going into finals, especially Prather or Beal. They would be stupid if their starting 5 played much more than about 10 to 15 minutes

I'm going to call this the Valentine's Day Massacre.

Topic #38978 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Mosquito fleet will lose.

Interesting to see what the crowd is....and if Perth give them value for money. I sure hope so.

Same in Melbourne today. Full house, sold out weeks ago. I hope they get value for money.

Reply #577641 | Report this post

This game gonna be boring.

Reply #577645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pathetic that Gibbo and possibly Peach are being rested when this is the last game of the season for them anyway.

Reply #577658 | Report this post

shin_splints  
Years ago

As a 36er fan living in Perth, today will be my only chance to see them live this season. I realize that this game means nothing, but I will be pissed if the game resembles a training session.

All clubs cannot lose sight that there are still fans paying shit loads (especially in Perth) to see a game, plus the quality of the product broadcast live on FOXTEL.

Reply #577659 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Actually i think the quality of the games this round has been the highest all year. Most gamea resemble glorified pick up games allowing high scoring, some nice dunks, some big individiaul performances (30 pt games) and a very good OT game.

The games have been less meaningless.

But i think the quality has made up for it.

Reply #577667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF Gibson $200K/year after being a passenger all of this season? Wow massively overpaid.

Reply #577671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite the playoff seedings being set the ladder can still finish differently.

Perth win vs Adelaide = Mel & Per tied on 18-10 meaning Per finish 1st due to superior pts %.

Perth lose vs Adelaide = Per & Ill tied on 17-11 meaning Ill finish 2nd due to suprior pts %.

Remember the ladder final positions are based on overall record not head to head. Head to head/mini league is only used for playoff seedings.

Of course none of this matters re: playoff seedings as those were set in stone on Friday.

Reply #577690 | Report this post

Jackson G  
Years ago

Wow.. glad I didn't watch the NZ Melb game... score looks like they're resting for the meaningful games..

Reply #577699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers why is your FB site dead. Nothing about the game today. Do you want some loyalty or have you just shut down ?

Reply #577701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers FB flopped at the money end of the season just as the team did.

Reply #577703 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

They posted a pic from the lockeroom on FB..

Reply #577707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey over Teys !!!! WTF JOEY !!!!

Reply #577708 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, 6ers a bit sloppy early.

Sobey with a big jam!!

Reply #577709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stunned that Perth would go full strength with all the injury worries into a meaningless game!

Reply #577710 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Petrie with some muscle....LOL

About time. Enjoyable game early!

Reply #577711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol 7 fouls to 0

Reply #577712 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I never liked Sobey.....UNTIL NOW!!!

Hire is a flog!

Reply #577714 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hire bumps people all the time and throws them over the court. Happens to him once and he loses his mind. Can't handle a dose of his own medicine.

Reply #577715 | Report this post

Chop006  
Years ago

Sobey has some fire

Reply #577716 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Sobey is in beast mode!

Reply #577717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take that WTF back .. Sixers attitude is fun to watch. Perth floppers at it again. They get their feet under the opposition and in their cylinder so only way is down. If the refs looked at the feet they would see it's a tactic and a foul or flop should be called every single time. Go Sixers havemsome fun with and DJ, Randle and Gibbo get thise stats racked up !

Reply #577718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Beal will be given the boot at seasons end. Same with Jawai.

Reply #577719 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

6ers to shit to make playoffs so they go out to injure Perth players. Go back to your dump of a city so the good teams can play.

Reply #577720 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow.

1. Redhage just bowled Creek over..full on push.

2. That was hardly a leg lock. Hardly anything.

Reply #577721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God I Hate Redhage. Shoves Creek to the ground and Creek straightens his ankle still inbalanced on his but and gets the unsportsmanlike. WTF REFS !

Reply #577722 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Did Joey bench Gibbo? Good on him!

Reply #577724 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

What is anon on about regarding ladder and seedings?

Reply #577725 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, the ladder was settled on Friday night when we lost to Illawarra.

Reply #577726 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Sizes fans can complain all they won't. You are in the playoffs this year but no new to get all emotional. Take a chill pill.

Reply #577727 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

You ARENT. In the playoffs

Reply #577728 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Want a mulligan on that post Wildcats80?

Reply #577729 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

6ers only 4 attempted 3s for the half!
Lol

Reply #577730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timberball not happy Adelaide is giving back what they have dished out for years.. Poor little Pettles those Perth fans.. Feeling so sorry for you all... NNNOOOTTTT...Go hard Sixers..

Reply #577731 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

And I thought this game would be a run of the mill snoozefest.
This is fun

Reply #577732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the Perth fans get their own site... maybe your sugardaddy can buy you one.... My daddys richer than yours... No my daddy is... Meanwhile we keep playing under points and cap and tonight push you hard, doing it for the underdogs.

Reply #577733 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Same rules for us, people just want to play in Perth for the for the crowd and city. It's ok though, one day a key player might want to play in your shed in front of the 4 people who's Centrelink payments are high enough to afford a ticket...or can you trade in food stamps now? To be honest I just thought they'd give them away to make it seem full

Reply #577734 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ lol

Entertaining on court and the forum!

Reply #577735 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Joey should have benched Gibson 25 games ago.

Reply #577736 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

DJ is a pile of poo

Reply #577737 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Randle is putting up too many shots. Perth look home here.

Reply #577738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the points difference for perth from the 1st half's and second half's? Almost every game this season it seems they dominate games after the first half's

Reply #577739 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wow, D Martin just pulled Teys pants down on that play.

Reply #577741 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

36ers have no answer for Greg Hire :p

Reply #577742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought they might come out and make a statement tonight.

Reply #577744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are dead rubber NBL games more entertaining when the ones with everyone on the line? lmao NBL styles

Reply #577745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"than the ones" it should read

Reply #577746 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LOL @ Randle coming back in garbage time once Martin was out

Reply #577747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everything on the line

Reply #577748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers get smashed.... again.

Reply #577751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth finish top of ladder with 105.53% points percentage vs 101.80% Melb Utd. But for playoff seed you split a tie with head to head only and it went 3-1 to Melbourne.

Should have not tanked vs Kings!

Reply #577752 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wonder what Jawai's +/- was today

Reply #577753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in calories?

Reply #577755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in daily calorie intake?

Reply #577756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rundle the chucker

Reply #577757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest crowd of season for Perth with 12139 according to wildcats facebook. Utd had 10200 as well to tie their best for season with the Boxing Day open air game. NBL where the biggest crowds come in dead rubbers LOL

Reply #577758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't tell the Perth fans about taking and missing out on 1st spot.

Reply #577759 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Perth finish top of ladder with 105.53% points percentage vs 101.80% Melb Utd. But for playoff seed you split a tie with head to head only and it went 3-1 to Melbourne."

Continuing to insist this is true doesn't make it so.

Reply #577761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always been that way.

Overall ladder in a tie is based on points percentage if tied.

Only head to head/mini league is used to split teams for PLAYOFF SEEDING purposes.

For a NBL nerd you really don't know your stuff.

Check the media guides.

Reply #577764 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Or, you know, everyone else is right and you're the only one who is wrong. That's the more likely explanation.

Reply #577766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Splits are only used for playoff seedings, not general ladder position.

Overall ladder is between all eight teams so whoever has higher points % is top.

You can't split two teams in isolation and then apply it to the whole table.

Reply #577767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyway at the end of the day Wildcats who like to go on about their winning culture and "Wildcats basketball" (whatever that means) threw away home court advantage in a game against the cellar dwellers they could have easily won.

Reply #577768 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Except that United would've turned up to play and gotten a win.

Reply #577771 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Splits are only used for playoff seedings, not general ladder position.

No.

Overall ladder is between all eight teams so whoever has higher points % is top.

No.

You can't split two teams in isolation and then apply it to the whole table.

What on earth does that even mean?

Reply #577772 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Should have not tanked vs Kings!"
Minor Premiership.....so near, yet so far...

Reply #577773 | Report this post

Flea  
Years ago

6ers +/- for tonight...

Petrie +2
Hodgson -3
Walker -3
Sobey -4
Teys -7
Ere -11
Creek -12
Gibson -18
Johnson -18

Final totals for the season...
Creek +53
Randle +47
Johnson +32
Teys +7
Sobey +3
Johns +3
Petrie 0
Larkins -3
McNeail -6
Hodgson -7
Carlin -14
Ere -16
Walker -41
Gibson -80

Will try to put together some 5 man unit results in the next few days.

Reply #577778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ is beating the United and Perth is beating the Hawks. We will have a GF series of two dirty physical teams beating eachother up to the death.

Reply #577786 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

"The TV news reported Gibbo signing up on a $200K/yr contract with Brisbane next year".

Hey Jack

Assuming he doesn't plan to work any harder than this season, it must be spot in the Brisbane Public Service!

Reply #577789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch it all at a sports bar near you. Will be hard to tell the diff between MMA and NBL though.

Reply #577790 | Report this post

MACDUB is one of those guys who predicts or posts what he wishes may happen, or has happened. No matter how much you hate the Wildcats, Creek deliberately locked legs with Redhage. It was the most obvious call of the season.

Reply #577792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't agree, he was shoved, deopped to the floor, his left ankle was rotated so he simply straightened it. And Redhage continued to put in the act. what else was Creek supposed to do sitting on his butt with his legs in the air.

Reply #577797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damos defene was 1st class. The guy is a defensive monster.

Reply #577799 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ever since Randle engaged beast mode in this league I've been looking forward to seeing how he went against Damo. Was worth the wait.
Don't know if it was on the tv telecast but in his brief trophy acceptance speech Damo singled the ant man as an extra tough cover.

Reply #577800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough cover or not damo took him to school

Reply #577802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That leg lock happened right in front of me and it looked blatant as anything I've seen live. Haven't watched the replay yet but from what I saw, creek deliberately tried to trip up redhage and got caught out

Reply #577806 | Report this post

Na, the refs need to show some leeway to players rotating their ankles. If your ankles aren't straightened immediately then who knows what might happen.

Reply #577812 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's an interesting application of game-theory...

Cat's took a calculated risk not flying 3 sore players to Sydney. Had we not done that, and won, then we have to assume that MU don't rest their players, and presumably they manage to win at least one game against NZ, so would have made no difference.

Conceptually, Perth may have been "top of the table" for an instant, but really not since the season finished with their victory.
At that point the rules regarding FINAL placings come into effect. Not that the rules refer to final placings NOT just the play-offs, so the final placings have MU on top.

At the end of the day, the Cats banked too heavily on their "easy run home." They gave up sloppy wins on the road, and when it comes right down to it, the game they NEEDED to win was their final home game against MU. THAT was the play-off for first spot, and MU won.

Reply #577815 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's always been that way.

Overall ladder in a tie is based on points percentage if tied.

Only head to head/mini league is used to split teams for PLAYOFF SEEDING purposes.

For a NBL nerd you really don't know your stuff.

Check the media guides.

Just to make sure I was being entirely fair, I followed your suggestion and looked at the most recent media guide I had access to, 2013.

Ready to concede yet?

Reply #577818 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Oh FFS:

61. NBL Ladder

61.1. Placings on the NBL Ladder during the Season

The positions on the ladder during the regular season shall be determined by the ratio of games won over games played.

Should two or more teams be tied with the same winning percentage during the regular season they shall be ranked by the number produced by dividing total points scored against into total points scored for.

Final Placings at the End of the Home and Away Season

Positions on the ladder will be determined by the ratio of games won over games played.

Should two or more teams be tied on game winning
percentage at the conclusion of the home and away fixture, final placings shall be determined by the win/loss ratio in only those games played between the tied teams.

Should there still remain a
tie; rankings shall be determined by the difference between the total points scored for and against each team in only those games played between the tied teams.

If teams still remain tied, rankings shall be determined by the points for over the points against percentages for the entire season

Reply #577819 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I have no idea where you're quoting from, but it still agrees with me, so I'm not sure what the point even is.

Reply #577821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The poor injured Damo flew to Sydney. Clearly very beat up and in need of a rest like the other 2. Hope he enjoys his new kix

Reply #577826 | Report this post

Damo tweaked his ankle in the Sydney game in Perth, and hobbled off at one point, but not until he has chased down a loose ball and cut his knee.

Considering his career form with injury, particularly coming back to early or taking the risk to play but then making the injury worse, then it made sense to rest him.

Reply #577829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Resting him by flying all the way to Sydney and back is a joke.

Reply #577841 | Report this post

He was rested by not playing. Why is it "a joke"? What difference does it make whether he joined the team or not?

Reply #577843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he is genuinely injured the last thing he needs to be doing is flying across australia twice. But you wouldn't understand that.

Reply #577851 | Report this post

The decision to rest him was probably more precautionary than anything. I don't think flying would have mattered that much in his case.

The other injuries obviously made those players less suitable for flying.

Why do you have such an issue with him travelling?

Reply #577852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a supposed ankle injury. If true he shouldn't be flying.

Reply #577853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's an interesting application of game-theory..."

Nice analysis of the final week Dazz. Present it to the Wildcats organisation and they would be scratching their heads over the concept of game theory. :P

Reply #577956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754