Sixers 101
Years ago

Sixers 16/17

Out of the finals, time to look to next year. Gibbo and Ebe appear gone, our defence the biggest issue IMO. Re signing randle a key to not only on court hopes, but continuing to build support levels and more sell out games next season.

I think we have a core to build upon, Gibbo leaving should free up some money. I'd love for us to start with this sort of line up next year:

Import (Ibekwe, gladness, ChJ type)/ Hodgson
DJ/ Petrie
Creek/ walker
Aussie SG (Madgen)/ teys
Randle/ sobey

Or

Jervis/ Hodgson
DJ/ Petrie
Creek/ walker
Import SG/ teys
Randle/ sobey

Surely, with the Sixers budget those lineups are achievable.

Topic #38979 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

First thing is first, lock Ebi Ere up long term, he has been very consistent this season!

But in all seriousness, the import combo they put around DJ will go a long way to the teams future success. DJ has been off all season, not sure why, but if they can get decent production from him again and truly rely on him, Adelaide could throw a potential 3 head monster at teams, unlike this season just having Randle. The glue parts are all pretty good pieces imo that we already have,

Reply #577624 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Need some bigs...desperately, and no more mosquito fleet types.

DJ and Petrie aren't at a championship winning level.

Reply #577626 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Definitely need an athletic 4 or 5. Petrie is ready for a bench role and DJ needs to get his score first mentality back. An import that comes to mind for me is Jordan Mickey, plays for Bostons D-League team. Incredible shot blocker and rebounder decent midrange game and can put it on the floor. Hes only 6"7 - 6"8 but that's good size for an NBL PF.

The 3 import rule will most likely go ahead ( I have a good source, I can't divulge) so I think another import PG/SG like Jermaine Beal. Another ball handler and scoring option is also vital and is also expect a Brad Newley homecoming with some help from old mate LK

Reply #577627 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Johnson / Hodgson
Mickey* / Petrie
Newley / Creek
Import* / Sobey
Randle* / Teys

Reply #577628 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The two areas where the Sixers consistency lack are:
1. Big man department. We need a centre who eats his t-bone raw and when hit with an axe handle, just laughs and uses the splinters he pulls out of his body for tooth picks.
2. Three point shooter. Year after year, the Sixers are bottom of the 3PA ladder. It's like the Sixers are not allowed to shoot 3's.

Reply #577629 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Nine news understands Melbourne's offer to Randle is more than the sixers can pay. ( While money doesn't talk, it swears)

Reply #577630 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

bloody Melbourne.

Reply #577631 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they can retain Randle I'd just replace Gibson with an import 2-3 who can defend at a high level and hit from the perimeter. Then sign a solid back-up PG who can defend and swing to SG like Rhys Carter.

Have Randle and the second import fit and firing from pre-season and 14 wins probably turn into 17 or 18.

Johnson/Hodgson
Petrie/Walker
Creek/rookie
Import 2-3/Sobey
Randle/Carter

Reply #577632 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Randle is worth the value of two players. Even if it means buying a crappy cheapy for another player, the impetus Randle brings - give him all of Gibbo's money

Reply #577633 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

I suspect that the best games that Gibbson will play next season will be the ones against the Adelaide.

Really we were the Adelaide 21's this season , no "3"s and down a productive and reliable 5 man.

Reply #577636 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

I'de be more than happy to keep Ebi if we have Randle. Ebi started the season in poor physical condition and was a poor choice for this season but since xmas has pretty well earned his place in the side. I imagine he is not expensive and if fit would be consistent. He does not lack effort and has experience.

I dont know what the Sixers budget will be but I expect it might be no better than this season where we still had 7 spare points to play with and might have had a 10 point player in place of one of our 3's if the money had been there.

The possibility of three imports might not be a good thing for clubs who have a low budget.

On the other hand if we have Randle and a winning culture from the start the crowds will be big.

Some Titanic business decisions to be considered.

Randle if available will have other NBL offers and Ebi will not have a problem getting a berth off someones bench.

Reply #577644 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

See if Newley is ready to come home.

Reply #577647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First thing is get DJ some help ! Get a PG not a SG, keep Randle for that. Put Peach on the bench and recruit a younger version from College. Someone with some vision as Petrie has lost his and despite his fair statline there is no collection of all the backdoors he has left open. Give Teys and Creek more minutes for god sake, please !!!!

Reply #577648 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Players who wont be at Sixers next year

Ebi Ere
Adam Gibson-Brisbane
Brendon Teys-Brisbane

Petrie start on bench with Walker
Retain Randle(sixers need to stitch deal up before finals finished)
198cm player who can play inside out-Torrey Craig type
Aussie SG ,i be getting Madgen in Sixers uniform.

Reply #577649 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

AyJay he lacks too much to truly consider rewarding him with another stint surely!? He played 2 exceptional games, and 2 other good ones and then was utter shite. If he isn't making shots, he offers little else. Gets blown past time after time on defense, sorry but its been one season too long already. Randle is the key signing, and get someone besides Wright to pick the other import, a Torrey Craig type who at minimal is athletic is the key imo.

Reply #577651 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Teys is on a 3 year deal

Reply #577652 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Surely Adelaide wouldn't let Teys leave/cut his contract up. With a full preseason, I cant see Sobey in front of Teys for minutes next season. Hard working unselfish players that wear many hats aren't that easy to come by.

Reply #577655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys has an out clause depending on who the coach would be so in theory could exercise that.

Regardless if he doesn't want to be here anymore it's not like the Sixers would force him to stay and see out the remaining 2 years.

You would think Ere, Gibson & possibly Walker would be punted.

Reply #577661 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The out clause surprisingly (based on whats happened with his playing time this sseason), was to do with Joey Wright potentially leaving. Wright stays so technically Teys has to as well, but Id be pissed about playing for a guy who had me in the dog house all season.

Reply #577663 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

Kobe24

My comments on Ebi are based on the assumption that yet again the sixers will be hamstrung on a budget and if Randle is signed they will no way be able to afford a Torrey Craig type unless its someone that's a young unproven risk.

If we have a decent budget I completely agree with you.

I think its all about the ownership group and whether they make a business decision to invest in a team that will bring in the crowd and return prifitable $.

Possibly if cash strapped it might be cheaper to bring in the talent part way through the season after the cash is flowing as has happened in the past.

Todays game will be interesting if Gibbo and Peach don't play. Lets see how Ebi goes when his load is increased but with Randle still in.

I'm not actually particularly a fan of Ebi, just sick of the long string of budget imports that just don't work and in conjunction with the big R and in fit condition, he just could be an affordable player and asset off the bench.

If we can afford a better 70 point team next season its all moot.

Go Sixers its all about pride in Perth so entertain us please.

Reply #577668 | Report this post

AyJay  
Years ago

We need to keep Teys, he is such a good utility.

He definitely needs more court time though,to get him back in top form and rediscover his offensive game some.

He's a good team man, inexpensive and low points.

Reply #577674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers need some heart and toughness.

Reply #577676 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Sincere Condolences to the 6's & their fans. I would rather see the 6's in the finals than just about any other team, certainly more than NZ. Baaaa...

From the limited amount I have seen, surely locking-in Randle has to be the priority. Not only a very effective offensive PG, but seems to fit Joey's preferred style of play.

Not sold on Ere. I think you need more from an import. (I know that teams, including Adelaide last season, can do ok with only one import, but this current squad just doesn't have that firepower.)
I gather he's meant to be a swingman type, my personally I feel you may be better off using that 2nd import slot to bolster you front court.

Really no sure about Gibson. To me, watching only a few of your games, its not really clear what his role is. It seems that for the past two seasons you've basically 2 PGs? That works fine when a lot of guards are basically combo types, but I think if you've got somebody like Randle, you might as maximise his use.

I understand that Petrie is an integral part of your team, and IIRC he re-signed for another couple of seasons, but I question how much longer he can hold down a starting spot in the current line-up. I think DJ is ok, but needs more support up front.

Reply #577740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of forum complaints about DJ, although he is similar to Kickert last year as a stretch 4 pretending to be a 5.

Put Kickert next to a banger/paint protector 5 and he looks great. I'm sure DJ will do the same.

I'm a Joey fan although I'm not sure he has put his 2 best Australian players in Gibbo and DJ in positions to succeed.

Reply #577750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz agree with much of what you say, DJ needsnto be the 4 with support and Hodgson not there yet. Gibbo needs to play point, Peach past in and should be a bencher. Teys underused, and yes Joey loves the little shooters but last 3 years going to season end or in playoffs always, always wants them to go the final quarter and each one of them, Ervs, Wilson and Randle have been made by the opposition and coach and doubled on the dribble or the triple teamed on the shot and turned it over. Same thing, watch the games, it's so predictable. Joey needs to change it up and protect the rim as well, lose too much defensively and not worth the trade off in this leagues new direction. Sorry to see Gibbo go. Creek is my MVP this year and it is also about his spark for the team and club not just his own performance.

Reply #577760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz agree with much of what you say, DJ needsnto be the 4 with support and Hodgson not there yet. Gibbo needs to play point, Peach past in and should be a bencher. Teys underused, and yes Joey loves the little shooters but last 3 years going to season end or in playoffs always, always wants them to go the final quarter and each one of them, Ervs, Wilson and Randle have been made by the opposition and coach and doubled on the dribble or the triple teamed on the shot and turned it over. Same thing, watch the games, it's so predictable. Joey needs to change it up and protect the rim as well, lose too much defensively and not worth the trade off in this leagues new direction. Sorry to see Gibbo go. Creek is my MVP this year and it is also about his spark for the team and club not just his own performance.

Reply #577763 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

Here is my team:

C Gladness/Johnson
PF Petrie/Walker
SF Creek/Teys
SG Madgen/Sobey
PG Randle/Weeks

Need a C who can guard 5's and is primarily a great help defender. Gladness is perfect and I feel his shot blocking ability would be great with Randle to get him off to the races. Gladness eliminates need for Hodgson who for me did not make much of an impact all season.

If Madgen is unavailable Newley or maybe even Worthington and move Teys to SG. We need a reliable second scoring option to take some scoring pressure off Randle.

Would love to pick up Jarrod Weeks, the kid is a real talent but doubt Illawarra let him go!

Reply #577770 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

From the sounds of it Walker isn't coming back, which is a shame. I thought he was solid.
Apparently Newley has another year on his contract OS, so scratch him.
I guess it depends on budget for next year but with Randle a priority, the 2-guard needs to be defensively minded. Not sure Madgen fits that mould (could be wrong, not actually sure if he's any good on D).
They really to need a defensive big-man too, a Gladness type.

Reply #577774 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I believe this is the contract situation.

Free agents:

Randle
Ere
Gibson
Walker

Creek - Player option for next season

Under contract:

Johnson - 2 years left
Petrie - 2 years
Teys - 2 years
Sobey - 2 years
Hodgson - 1 year

Reply #577779 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think DJ is ok in the 5 spot, but I think you need to back him with a big (imported) genuine scoring PF, plus a SF who can also rebound.

Like any team, it depends on whose available, who stays, and who is going to step up.
Can Creek hold down a starting spot at SF?

Assuming Randle can be re-signed and that's a big if, and lets say for the sake of argument that the 3-imports rule gets up (and you have the cash, and you have the points, etc)
My suggestion would be to make Randle your designated PG, get yourselves a "Lisch type" SG, and a big scoring PF, with Petrie moving to the bench to give you some depth.

Reply #577813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Creek seemed to do well late in the season especially. Got to the line, made free-throws, etc. Hopefully he stays.

DJ needs the defensive foil. Difference between him and Kickert seems to be that Kickert is more deadly from range and a bit smarter with his offensive moves.

Reply #577830 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

There are a lot of good Aussie players finishing college this year so I hope they go hard after some of them.

Majok Deng, Peter Hooley and David Humphries are from SA. Jois and Drmic would also be awesome gets.
Jois may be too good for the NBL and go to Europe but it can't hurt chasing him.

Randle - Sobey
Drmic or Hooley - Teys
Creek - Petrie
Johnson - Deng
Import - Hodgson

If they can afford him Madgen would be great as they desperately need another shooter.

Reply #577831 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Creek needs to be around atleast one more season, I watch his game style and think he is so close to being great, just needs to develop a jump shot that defences respect. He got to the line quite a bit towards the end of the season, but I remember him missing a ton of free throws, cant be a liability with him going to the line.

Reply #577855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Season +/- for Adelaide from the Wildcats-Sixers thread:

Final totals for the season...
Creek +53
Randle +47
Johnson +32
Teys +7
Sobey +3
Johns +3
Petrie 0
Larkins -3
McNeail -6
Hodgson -7
Carlin -14
Ere -16
Walker -41
Gibson -80
Not very attractive for Walker.

Reply #577876 | Report this post

Creek could be a captain of the club if he sticks around long term. For the last couple of seasons his good form = 15ppg and he's consistent at that when fit which is great. Great energy guy too off the bench. Give him more minutes and i don't reckon he'd have any trouble bringing his numbers up. Should be allowed to shoot the 3 ball more often because he goes at a good clip when he lets them go, and that'll open more lanes for his slashing to the hoop.

For 3 balls i'd probably rather Creek shoot for my life than DJ. Yet DJ jacks them up all the time. Sure, he can be streaky, but he can also be awful.

Really hope we can lure Randle back somehow. I'll be pissed if he stays in the NBL but goes elsewhere, amazing talent and brings bucketloads of intangibles like his community work, social media presence, sponsorship opportunities etc.

Reply #577909 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Does the NBA have paternity leave? :-)

"Brad" coming home? I can hope.

I've wondered about Hooley especially with Gibson leaving. A two spot position behind Teys may work.

Will Creek return? he might get more opportunities with Brisbane coming in (not suggesting at Brisbane, Coenraad is a lock right?). Is Waxy gone? he was useful off the bench and particularly on the boards. I would hope one would stay at Adelaide but both might jump.

Wookiee, what is Brandt's situation? I could see him in a Sixers singlet as starting centre and push DJ to the 4 spot (Peach off the bench).

The Sixers will need a gun swingman to complement Randle (if he returns). That is easier said than done. Does the NBA have paternity leave? (yep I'm still hoping)

Reply #577932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like many of the suggestions on here

I like the OP line up suggestions, its basically the way i would go.

It sounds like the nbl may be allowing 3 imports next year, so it gives us a bit of flexibility in recruiting, id go after Aussies first, if we miss our targets then grab imports

I love the suggestion of a Brandt or Jervis at C

I also would target a Madgen, Drmic type SF

I would basically replace Gibson and Ere with one of the above C's and SG's

If we cant get those Aussies then plug in imports of similar mould.

If we manage to get atleast one of the Aussies above replace Walker with a import of Torrey Craig mould to split minutes with Creek at sf and play some sg. If we need to use one of the import spots id see if we can get BJ Anthony back in Walkers spot, he was awesome pre injury a couple of seasons back for the 36ers, and shouldnt be hugely costly

So that would give us something like

All this is assuming marquee guys like Ingles and Newley are unavailable, if they are slot them instead of a import

Brandt (or Jervis or import)/Hodgson
Johnson/Petrie
Creek/cheaper Import (or BJ Anthony)
Madgen (or Drmic or Import)/Teys
Randle or new import/Sobey

Cant really go wrong no matter where we need to use the imports, as long as the imports are all decent value for money

This line up would give us more size and toughness around the basket and a better sg option than what Gibbo and Ere have provided this year, so should be a upgrade and contender for the playoffs.

Reply #577973 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd try and instill my faith in Hodgson and try and start him and have Petrie coming off the bench for him.

DJ as power forward (always put him back to Centre if match ups allow) and Anthony coming off the bench.

Gun import that can shoot the lights out like a Scott Christopherson type but much better (no Frye type) and a college kid

I'd start Creek or Teys at shooting guard and split the minutes between them.

Randle and The ever awesome Nathan Sobey.

That lineup could crash and burn but I expected this current season for them to finish bottom and yet they didn't and the development of their players surprised me and I think Hodgson could be terrific... One last thing, Burston could be a free agent and they could do worse than him in the team.

Reply #578022 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Gun import that can shoot the lights out like a Scott Christopherson

Reply #578023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher may be available

Reply #578047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free up Gibbo's 200K

Reply #578053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's latest says that they will want to keep Walker, but Melbourne is keen to get him back. Ere unlikely. Gibson likely gone. I think those were the three bottom in +/- funnily enough.

Rest are more or less contracted, plus Randle in negotiations.

Randle/?
Madgen/Sobey
Creek/Teys
?/Petrie
Johnson/Hodgson

Maybe try for Madgen so as to keep the import spot free in the paint?

I like him, but I'm not sure if Newley would be good enough to justify his cost. He might as well stay put and keep making money.

Reply #578074 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I know he's a local, but is Madgen a viable option? (Ie, out of contract, willing to return to Oz, affordable for 36ers)

This is what 36ers need to do:

Step 1
Throw money at Randle

Step 2
??

Step 3
Win Championship

Reply #578075 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Tom, I would be absolutely ecstatic if the Celtics let Jordan Mickey come to the Sixers for a season! Not holding my breath though, I think Mickey would be on the end of Boston's bench right now if they weren't so overloaded with forwards!

Reply #578085 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Adelaide could do worse than a backcourt of Stephen Holt and Ben Madgen. Would be good to lock Ben into a 3-year deal and try to make him a long-term 36er.

Johnson/Hodgson
Import 3-4/Petrie
Creek/rookie
Madgen/Sobey
Holt/Carter

Reply #578117 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I liked Carter in Adelaide, his defence is good and when he's knocking down those threes geez Adelaide looked almost unbeatable.

Reply #578119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ty Wesley is one guy the 6ers should look.

Reply #578121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the thinking on here, hopefully the club is on a similar page, judging from botis report they seem to be trying to keep everyone we all want them to.

I like Pauls suggestion of Holt if Randle doesnt stay, would anyone take Holt over Randle??

With 3 imports and an aisan player rule coming in, isnt Holt of some Aisan heritage?? i think i read that somewhere , could be wrong so we could grab him plus 3 imports potentially if points cap permits?

I doubt Melbourne would let him go though, especially if he can play as a local, unless they steal Randle or something and cant afford him.

Reply #578150 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah I'm suggesting Holt if they can't sign Randle, obviously! Holt has some Filipino heritage.

Reply #578167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i got that Holt was the back up,

I was genuinely interested if anyone would take Holt, he is very good, probably a better shooter, bigger, possibly cheaper than Randle too.

If Holt has Filipino herritage thats a factor that could make him more attractive than randle to some too, as he could possibly play as a local if the aisian marquee player rule goes through.

Id take Randle as he has been here, a massive crowd fav, we won more than we loss, leading scorer and among leading assists, probably an individual better talent, but wouldnt be shocked if some like Holt more.

I see Randle as like a mini Farley

Holt is like a Brett Maher,

Both are awesome, but people with have different preferences.

Reply #578183 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Holt is a 2 man, would anyone be interested in having him not be the 36ers primary ball handler?

As for my comment above about Scott Christopherson, total joke but if you can find a Kevin Brooks type that can hit clutch threes then get him

Reply #578200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holt has been pretty good as a starting point guard for Melbourne.

Reply #578202 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Interesting that Melbourne seem to be preparing to make changes to a team that may well scrape through for the title already.

I think they see Walker helping them on the boards.

That's why Adelaide should keep him. Rebounding ! Who cares what the +/- rubbish says. He made such a difference in that area.

Reply #578462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754