Tom
Years ago

My Idea For NBL Free Agency

Today's NBL clubs don't really have players that fans can familiarise with and get a connection with. Back in the day every club had a star player as the face of the franchise. Adelaide had Brett Maher and was everyone's favourite but since him we haven't had a guy like that.

Jerome Randle has the potential to be that guy. The fans here love him and he seems to love it too. However the club might not be able to compete with offers from overseas or bigger clubs to retain him and unfortunately for everyone he leaves. What if each club designates a player that the NBL pays a percentage of his salary to help players become household names in their markets which would further boost the popularity of the NBL.

In return, the club who recieves the financial help agrees to push marketing campaigns to get the brand of the player out there. I feel this rule would boost the popularity and attendance of clubs especially regional ones. I'm sure Townsville fans would come out to see their headline superstar player who they have a connection with then a bunch of talented yet inexperienced players who would probably be end of the bench guys for most clubs.

What are your thoughts?

Topic #38983 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The NBL has how much money available for this?

Reply #577780 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Have you been under a rock for the last 12 months mate?

Reply #577781 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Is the sun a rock?

Reply #577782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #577788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you fucking high? Why should anyone prop up a club who has no money. A club who can't afford to pay its players has no place in the competition

Reply #577808 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What has that got to do with free agency???

What you're referring to is a "Marquee Player," a scheme the NBL already has in place.
The current scheme is not bad in that it allows rich clubs to splurge, then pay a tax which in effect subsidises the rest of the league.

To alter the existing flow of money between the NBL and the clubs, requires an increased revenue stream (using LK's capital injection would only be a short-term fix.)

Maybe the NBL could negotiate with Foxtel, to kick-in extra cash for headline players they believe would generate more revenue...
I'm not sure it really works though?

Reply #577810 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What you're referring to is a "Marquee Player," a scheme the NBL already has in place.
What the OP is referring to is the exact opposite of the marquee player rule.

Reply #577814 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ah koberulz, still looking for the other half of your brain?

What the OP is referring to is the very definition of a "Marquee Player."

Marquee: Leading; pre-eminent: a marquee player
[With allusion to the practice of billing the name of an entertainer on the canopy over the entrance to a theatre]

However what the OP is proposing is that Marquee players be subsidised by the league.
As I said, the CURRENT scheme does not work that way, but it works well in that it allows wealthy clubs to pay overs then pay the tax back to the NBL.
As I said, to alter the flow of funds as the OP proposes would require a new (or expanded) revenue source. The NBL can't just conjure up extra money, there would need to be a way to use those players to generate extra revenue.

Reply #577816 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ah koberulz, still looking for the other half of your brain?

What the OP is referring to is the very definition of a "Marquee Player."

Correct. Now, if your post had said:

What you're referring to is a "Marquee Player," and the NBL has a completely different scheme in place for those that doesn't achieve what you're trying to achieve at all, and could in fact exacerbate the problem to which this is a proposed solution.

Then I would not have disagreed with you (although I would have questioned your sudden grasp of English that seems well beyond your usual capabilities). But that's not what you said at all.

Reply #577817 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

The current marquee rule still requires the team to pay the player fully just outside the cap. What the OP is saying is that a team nominates a player for the NBL to pay instead of the club. Saying "marquee" just confused you Dazz

Reply #577939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Tom your Sixers need to attract more revenue through sponsorship or investment to hold onto top players. You quote overseas as threat, more like Melb Utd who are already sniffing around at Randle.

League HQ exists to adminster the league not to wipe the Sixers' bum for them when they aren't able to be competitive.

Reply #577941 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Regardless of what the OP is saying, I think we all should be questioning if teams are marketing their players enough and reaping the financial benefits like they were back in the day.

The Wildcats have a decent profile in Perth but I still see more Andrew Vlahov 'Kingsize big and tall' adverts than any of the current Wildcats (besides one for kids drowning) so my question is why is this the case?

If there is a player more loved in the NBL community than Damien Martin then I'd be surprised and yet he's hardly got himself plastered on Telly all the time.

Wildcats players have their own individual sponsors on their warm up kit and when they sub in that company in mentioned but we could still see far more.

Just one last thing, I think Brian Conklin would have been the ideal player to market up there in Townsville with his workmanlike attitude and MVP award and then they got rid of him... Had the OP had his way with the league then I think it would have egg on its face with how he performed and then left this season... Samhain seems like a great personality though

Reply #578019 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754