Isaac
Years ago

United vs Breakers pre-series thread

Should United be scared of NZ's recent form improvements or will home-court advantage be enough to get them through?

Topic #38987 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

This is a 50-50 series in my mind. There is no clear favourite.

NZ were my championship tip as soon as it was confirmed that Webster would return. Their run of poor form coincided with the cricket season and I wasn't watching a lot of NBL during late Dec and Jan, so I'm unsure what went wrong there.

But from what I have seen, and on paper they don't have any obvious weaknesses to speak of. Mcdonald doesn't appear to really be up to NBL standard but as long as Jackson stays out of foul trouble that's not a huge issue. If I'm Vickerman I'm giving Cedric 3minutes rest in the middle of each half in the playoffs and that's it.

I'm really looking forward to the Webster vs Goulding match up. Webster has taken his game to a new level this season and Goulding has been United's best player.

I think this will go to 3 games and I'll predict that United wins game 3 by 5 points in a classic.

Reply #577878 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Breakers in the finals are scary. They seem to go super sayian this time of the year. Last year they crushed the 36ers who were in white hot form and then took out the minor premiers in 2 games. im tipping Breakers to get this series in 2.

Reply #577880 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I find this one hard to pick, with the form of both teams being a bit tough to get a good handle on for me, but I do think that whoever wins it probably goes on to win the title.

NZ look like they have managed to switch their form back on just in time for when it matters, but will it be enough to overcome Melbourne's home court and home league executive director advantages?

Reply #577881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THIS AINT 50-50 This is the Breakers who know ho to play physical playoffs ball shuting down the jump shot happy United down and overpowering them to victory.

Playoffs are a different beast and the bigger stronger teams allways thrive. After Perth no team is bigger and stronger then the Breakers.

Reply #577885 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I'm still having nightmares of what NZ did last playoffs from seemingly know here. Expect them to win this series potentially in 2, defence wins games come playoff time more times then not.

Reply #577887 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Looks like NZ have stayed in Melbourne which makes sense.

Reply #577896 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Melbourne locked the breakers in by going to NZ undermanned. That says two things, Melbourne are dumb plus Melbourne thinks the breakers are the easy beats.

Won't that just fuel the Mika into another finals taking series.

When you try and cheat your way into the matchup you want, you normally get burnt. Aussies tanking got them nowhere, didn't even get to play USA.

Breakers in 2 games

Reply #577910 | Report this post

"Melbourne locked the breakers in by going to NZ undermanned. That says two things, Melbourne are dumb plus Melbourne thinks the breakers are the easy beats."

No, it says that Melbourne wanted to rest their key players once they had top stop sewn up.

Reply #577911 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

This will be a dog fight. It is bound to be scrappy. Score in the seventies with the team that delivers in the clutch prevailing.
Melbourne should exploit the on ball, especially with Charles. He is absolutely hopeless.
Breakers will hope CJ continues his newly discovered 3 ball and Webster rediscovers his early season form.
A lot will depend on Kicket inside and out, and the beanpole United have. If we can contain them, United will rely on Goulding and the PG to score.I think we have a chance if we are in the game with 2 to go.

Reply #577914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semi series winner market Melb $1.45 NZ $2.45 at TAB odds were put up. Put your money where your mouth is NZ likers.

Reply #577933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1.55 Melb to win series not $1.45 that should read, NZ @ $2.45

Reply #577934 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

So there's a game on tonight and this is the only thread related to it, and not generating much discussion.

Does anyone care?

Reply #578454 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Need to share this forum out more on SM to bball buds..

Reply #578458 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754