Isaac
Years ago

Asian players not imports, what do you think?

Andrew Vlahov is proposing that players from China and elsewhere in Asia be able to play in the NBL with an import-exempt status, to encourage more involvement between Australia and opportunities in Asia.

What do you think?

I believe that some European leagues have actually tightened up their rulings. For example, I think in Italy, where previously a team was permitted two imports (non-Europeans) and the rest European players, they are now allowed two imports (European or otherwise) and the rest Italian players.

In the case of the NBL and Asia, I suppose it's a trade off between increased exposure and a reduction in opportunities for local talent.

Topic #3899 | Report this topic

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

i dont see why the import ruling should be any different from New Zealand players than Asian players. They are both our close neighbours, but not from our country.

(i don't know what the NZ ruling is, can anyone enlighten me?)

Reply #45496 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I don't agree unless China or any other Asian country have a team in the Australian NBL. This is where it differs with New Zealand. When you have a team in the same league, I think players should be able to move around in the various teams without an import status, ie an Australian playing in an NBL team based in China and vice versa. With Asia's population and potential to produce many top players, the Australian teams could be overrun by Asian players, not only limiting opportunities for Australians but making it less appealing for the Australian fans as they would feel that they are not supporting an Australian team. We love our 2 imports that we are able to have, but the majority of the team being Australian makes it "our" team.

Reply #45498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about one per team? So, two imports, and an Asian or NZ import?

Vlahov does mention that this move could be enacted with a view to wider league that includes Asian teams which would be interesting.

Reply #45500 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

In Deutschland the League has a lot of young players that are from other countries and after watching their U/21 team play against die Turkei I think it hurts their development.

Reply #45503 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Andrew V may be doing a smart thing here in taking on a couple of their players to help generate more interest in the L.

Can only be a good thing and i agree maybe 1 for each team!

Reply #45514 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

This is a great avenue for the league to recover financially.

As for limiting opportunities, the cream will always rise to the top. Meaning that if players are good enough they will get minutes regardless of who is in the league.

Teams will be able to attract further sponsors dollars when they are being seen by millions in Asia.

Sure you could sponsor a football team here to be viewed by a few million or you could sponsor us and or new forward xiu ping woo who's home town has a population of 50 million.

Why is such a big deal made out of Yao Ming? The exposure he gives the NBA to 1 billion people.

Same can happen here.

Reply #45518 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think a good opportunity for the NBL with additional exposure. A limit of one asian player per team would need to be enforced as an influx could hurt local talent being developed.

Maybe another avenue could be also be added is that each NBL club adopts an Asian club, sort of like a "sister city/club" proposal.

Reply #45533 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

Why not recruit Asian players for the State League?
The league isn't as tough as the NBL so they would be able to contribute more.

It would be great to have the games televised back to Asia, imagine the Forrestville Vs Woodville Granny being played to a TV audience of a billion people!

Sturt could subsidise their Asian import with a couple of hours work at the Imperial Room.

Reply #45549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asian market is so large, that not exploring it is a Waste.

Reply #45594 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Maybe something might come from the Woodville tour of Singapore later this year?

Reply #45595 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Northener - considering Tracey York is the development coach (or manager??)of the Sinagpore Basketball...well I would think that there could be some links being forged there.

Reply #45625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea.

Maybe some restrictions should be in place though like -

Limit of two imports and limit of two asian players BUT if you have the full amount you must also have four U23 australians on your roster of 12 to balance it out.

The potential injection of dollars from asia is just what the NBL needs, even if this rule is in place for a 3 year period until two or three asian teams can be put together to run in the NBL in their own right.

Reply #45854 | Report this post

Jumper78  
Years ago

I think the NBL should look at starting an Asian Superleague with other asian countries, Eg SIngapore, Malaysia, Philippines China, etc.
Could easily have a ten team comp, sponsorship would be easier to find for teams cos companies would be getting International exposer to millions.
Basketball is huge in Asia. Im in the Philippines at the moment and basketball is like 10 times bigger than AFL is in Australia. Its Crazy.
Major potential for success with a league like this.
All thats needed is someone like Packer to get behind it like he did with World Series Cricket in the 70's

Reply #45860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754