Dazz
Years ago

Australian Dolla Beal?

How does this work?
Will he only score 71% of the points when he is Australian?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/perth-wildcats-coach-trevor-gleeson-extension/7167370

2014 grand final MVP Jermaine Beal is also eligible for Australian citizenship and may re-sign as local for the Wildcats next season.

I like Beal, I think he's a big-game player and has carried us many times. I have always hoped that he would stick around...
But how does he qualify after just three seasons?

Topic #38991 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd considering Lisch was around longer his first stint and is married to an Aussie now yet Immigration are being difficult.

Maybe Wildcats have a contact within Immigration now to get it fast tracked. How about letting BA to get Lisch as a Boomer. You know, help your country out.

Reply #577961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

letting BA know*

Reply #577963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian Dolla Beal featured Queen Elizabeth II wearing Garter robes on the obverse with the Australian coat of arms. This portrait was based on a photo taken by Douglas Glass. The reverse of the note features Aboriginal contemporary art, created by David Malangi. The artwork depicts the "mortuary feast" of one of the artist's creation ancestors, Gunmirringu, the great ancestral hunter. The Manharrngu people attribute this story as the origin of their mortuary rites. The note was issued from its introduction in 1966 until its replacement by the one dollar coin in 1984.

Reply #577964 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lisch spent two years in Europe, Beal's been here the whole time. That might be the difference.

Reply #577969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but Lisch put a ring on it.

Reply #577971 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Lisch spent two years in Europe, Beal's been here the whole time. That might be the difference.

Marrying an Aussie as Lisch has done, is nolonger a easy path to citizenship. However part of the requirement is demonstrating a continued attachment to Australia. That part IS easy for Lisch as his wife and child are Australian.
Harder for guys that travel to play, without a link to Australia. Beal has played a handful of games in Puerto Rico and Saudi Arabia during his time with the Cats...

Anyone know where his partner and child are from.
I had only heard that they had been together for a while, so I assumed not Australian, but who knows.

Part of the issue, could be that the first step in the lengthy process of naturalisation is permanent residency. Imports can play here under a visa, without ever applying for permanent residency. Maybe Dolla was smart and got in early?

Reply #577975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure but Lisch has had a continuous link to Australia due to his partner being from Sydney. He began the relationship with her during his stint in Perth as she was a WNBL player. So his link has been continous due to her but not according to immigration expert koberulz. Is there anything that kid doesn't think he knows.

As Lemanis alluded to on a Fox broadcast is the Immigration Department will cater to fast tracking other athletes from other sports but not for basketball. Basically you need a contact from within or no help. Perhaps Wildcats have got one now.

Reply #577979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes leaving the country from time to time doesn't help you gain aussie citizenship that quickly. Not sure of the length of exit times applicable currently.

Reply #577983 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

Wow would be great for the league if he does. I've heard there going hard after Ennis as well. Will be very good next season if all plays out.

Reply #577984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis is interest is both ways. The only problem is (very good problem indeed) Perth has Prather already and believe he is a monster waiting to happen and is not close to reaching his potential.

Reply #577985 | Report this post

#979 why don't you tell us how the immigration process works then? In particular, explain how physically not being in the country is not something that Immigration doesn't consider.

Reply #577994 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The first step in the process is Permanent Residence.
But players can play here under a visa, so when or if they have applied for or received residence could well vary dramatically.

Once you have residency, you must demonstrate a continued connection with Australia. That CAN be demonstrated by having a house and/or family, not withstanding that they may travel.
So if two NBL imports leave Australia to play in Puerto Rico, one leaves his wife & child at home in Australia, and the other's wife & child are in (say) the USA, then the 1st would still demonstrate a connection to Australia, the 2nd wouldn't.

Now how that applies to Lisch and Beal, I have no clue.
With Beal, it may be that he wasn't gone long, literally only played a handful of games in PR, and I think some play-offs is SA.

With Lisch, purely speculating, but maybe he already has dual-citizenship (USA & Italy) and maybe somehow that makes it more difficult?

Reply #578000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz knows obviously.

Reply #578003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Beal isn't a permanent resident yet. Way to early to be talking naturalisation.

Reply #578004 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So his link has been continous due to her but not according to immigration expert koberulz. Is there anything that kid doesn't think he knows.
If my post doesn't look like a guess to you, you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Reply #578005 | Report this post

Cmon koberulz, everyone knows that to get citizenship to another country you just need a link. You know, a link?

Reply #578006 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, I must say I'm surprised, but then we are only going off that one article...
I have no idea of the residency status of any import, but how do we know Beal doesn't have is?

The other issue may be taxation?
Now, Residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency, you can easily be one without the other. (I was resident in Indonesia for Tax Purposes despite only being there on a work permit.)

However similar concepts such as family & domicile do enter in to it. I don't know if the ATO looks at your residency status, but if you're earning big bucks in Europe, you probably don't want to be deemed a resident of Australia for Tax Purposes.

Reply #578010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you knew anything about most of the game SC you wouldn't need a link.
Dazz has already stated most of the applicable rules and permanent residency is the first. Clearly he hasn't got that and aussie citizenship is a long way after that.
Perth fans creaming their jeans for no reason.

Reply #578012 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Clearly he hasn't got that

[citation needed]

Reply #578015 | Report this post

#012 is that stupid he can't recognise when someone is taking the piss out of him.

Reply #578017 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Beal played in Saudi Arabia!?!?

Reply #578030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A sport like tennis uses the economic benefit of getting a new Aussie in the women's draw after only living in Melbourne for 3 years (she was on tour so really bout 3 months in total!)...hell she ain't even married an Aussie!!

These bball guys don't add that value to the country and we have alit of talent in the sport so it's a harder case to get it rushed thru for say Olympics or worlds unlike tennis Australua recently did!

If we were talking A top 10 NBA talent it might be a different storey!

Reply #578034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't want Beal to stick around even if he can play as a local. He is still rated as a 10 point player and unless they do away with the stupid points system... We can get a better player and better fit elsewhere.

Reply #578039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a 10 point player as an import or not.

Reply #578040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Dazz Lisch's girlfiend could have owned a house continously here before their move to Europe. That's the link. At least one person gets it.

Reply #578102 | Report this post

Step 2. Ensure you meet the residence requirement

The residence requirement is based on the time you have lived in Australia and the time you have spent outside Australia.
You must:
have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and;

not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

Reply #578122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Step 1. Quickly Google a complex topic, copy and paste a paragraph or two and continue to act arrogant as all hell.

Reply #578125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying > ????? > Beal naturalising

Reply #578126 | Report this post

I googled the relevant section about how leaving the country can impede someone getting their citizenship, which was what the discussion is about. Not my fault if you have such an issue with that. Maybe try understanding what people are saying in the first place before shooting off your mouth.

Reply #578129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep choosing to ignore details. He has an Aussie girlfiend who may be his de facto as Dazz mentioned family come into it as well. It is a complex issue but keep copy and pasting if you want to.

The main issue in this thread however was the perplexing story about Beal being naturalised soon. Head scrather that one.

Reply #578131 | Report this post

I'd copy and paste the answer to that too but it doesn't seem you'd be capable of grasping it. Why don't you try and find your own solutions to this "perplexing" story? It seems pretty straightforward to me. One guy satisfies the criteria, the other doesn't.

Reply #578136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three seasons (and leaving AU in off season) > Four year requirement

someone is applying mathemagics here

Or how about you explain how three is greater than four.

Reply #578138 | Report this post

Do your own research.

Reply #578140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SC laying down the law again. Great that he googled it and found part of the rules.

Reply #578144 | Report this post

Not only did I google it, I understood it. Meanwhile, we have an anon or two not understanding anything but getting shitty at those that do.

Reply #578146 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, really don't see how Beal would meet the 4-year requirement, even if he had done everything else right on the money.

Lisch however might be excused the time he spent away because of his Australian family. I would not be surprised to see Lisch naturalise sometime in the next year or so.

Perhaps Beal applied when he first visited Australia?
I THINK his college team may have visited at one time?
LOL
Or maybe Dr Jack is going to adopt him?

Reply #578176 | Report this post

I'd copy and paste what I found today about the four year thing but I'd hate to be considered arrogant.

Reply #578178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is possible to get citizenship without being here four years, there are certainly precedents.

Reply #578181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOw about he gets permanency 1st

Reply #578182 | Report this post

If he has a Distinguished Talent visa, he is a permanent resident.

Reply #578184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Did you google that?

Reply #578185 | Report this post

Very arrogantly!

Reply #578187 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

One thing I will say is this. I have previously worked for firms who were also migration agents (mostly "business") and I have also known a couple of people who applied personally. I have also worked for companies that absolutely rorted the 457 Visa system.
I believe they have tidied it up some, but it used to be there were so many different classes of visa, and different programs, it was a minefield. If you have an agent that knows what they are doing, they can make a way "appear" through the layers of red-tape.
NOTHING surprises me.

I remember watching a "Current Affairs" type show a few years back about a migrant family from the UK. They decided they would like to come to Australia, but apparently hubby's skill (he was some sort of tradie) was not "in demand" in Australia. So they asked what was. Some bureaucrat somewhere had done their projections (probably based on falling apprenticeships) and determined that in the near future Hair-Dressers would be in demand. So the mum, who admitted to never even cutting her kids hair, went to her local tech and did a 6-week course, produced her certificate, and the whole family got accelerated migration under the skills-shortage program.

I also remember when my brother died. His wife had a friend visiting from o/s who "fell in love" with her brother.
Just so happened by brother's best mate worked for immigration. He fell so bad for the family that he granted this friend permanent residency.
At the end of the day, a clerk somewhere makes a decision and stamps a form. Unsuccessful applicants can appeal up the wazoo, but who's going to appeal a successful application?

Local employees complained to Immigration about being replaced with unqualified migrants under the 457 rort, and we got nowhere.

Reply #578194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if we have Beal, Prather and Ennis next year maybe Beal will come off the bench given his versatility to play both guard spots.

We would close with a lineup of Martin, Beal, Prather, Ennis and Knight/Jarvis.

Reply #578197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he can high jump, pole vault, play tennis or weight lift he would have been an Aussie two years ago!

Reply #578217 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Love that line up #578187 to bad that's probably approx 58 points on 6 players. 12 points for a bench of any kind...not likely. Wagstaff will be 6/7 depending on loyalty discount, Hire will be 4/5, Kenny a 6 coz he got plenty of game time, fill it out with 3 Development Players... We are set if they raise the Cap to 100

Reply #578231 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

That made for an entertaining read, well played guys.

Reply #578262 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

"Some bureaucrat somewhere had done their projections (probably based on falling apprenticeships) and determined that in the near future Hair-Dressers would be in demand."

I believe that decision about the shortage of hairdressers came about after the minister concerned was shown a photo of David Barlow.

Reply #578269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth can somehow get a lineup of Martin-Beal-Prather-Ennis and Knight next season then why even bother having a comp? That team would destroy every team infront of them!.

Reply #578379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire is not going to be a Cat next season. He ill be a Hawk. Bevo has a great relationship with him and he is the perfect rebounding workhorse type that they need.

Reply #578380 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

ROFL.
Unfortunately in Basketball you are only allowed 5 players on the court at any one time. You can't just say "oh we need rebounds" and stick on a "rebounding workhorse."

Reply #578383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they could scrap the points cap next season? To see a lineup like that would be worth it and could take the league to the next level

Reply #578388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754