Ricky
Years ago

NBL All-Star Game Revival

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/02/16/nbl-needs-reintroduce-stars-game/

Thoughts? Been talked about before here.

Personally I liked the North vs South in the 1990's. Had so many stars back in those days though.

Surely they'll revive it very soon plus a three point comp and skills comp would make it more entertaining and worthwhile. Forget about dunk comp.

Topic #38998 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't care if they don't bother. Spend the money on something else.

Reply #578105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North v South was the best for inter NBL rivalry. Boomers vs NBL was pretty good too but most Boomers aren't in the NBL now so you can't really do that. Anything else was trash.

Reply #578106 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Bring it up to Brisbane next year to get the NBL hype going.

Reply #578107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The writer's whole premise is based on how successful the NBA ASG was. Yeah because that is going to help the NBL ASG... lol

Reply #578108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd put $$$ on the author never seeing a NBL ASG.

Reply #578109 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't watch the NBA All-Star Game, let alone NBL. Forget about it.

What they should do though, is look at a Champions League/Asian Cup type of thing that works very well in Soccer and could work well for basketball.

Reply #578113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET there is a FIBA Asia Champions League each and every year.

Problem is Australia & NZ are in Oceania.

Reply #578116 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

All star games are trash. Asian champions league it up.

Reply #578118 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.com/news/fiba-asia-central-board-finalises-2016-calendar-sets-road-map-for-national-federations-leading-up-to-region-s

Interesting

Reply #578120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why interesting? Top Asian clubs have played a tournament against each other for the last 35 years.

The key is BA getting AUS into Asia like FFA did in the football. Oceania is a barren wasteland.

Reply #578123 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's interesting because I didn't know it existed. I agree, I think it would be great for the NBL teams to compete in this Champions League. There's a real opportunity here IMO.

On a different but related matter to FIBA Oceania, As of 2021 FIBA Oceania will be FIBA Asia-Pacific and it will no longer have Australia vs NZ for olympic/world cup spots.

Reply #578130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey KET that is great news. So from 2021 one federation means NBL champion plays in Asia club Champions League. Great news, NBL team will win it each year!

Reply #578132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will FIBA Asia-Pacific be one federation or two separate ones only joined for the purposes of qualification to major tournaments? If the latter it would suck as there is little to no point in having an Oceanian federation with only two strong nations.

Reply #578134 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"Top Asian clubs"

- and both those teams have done very well in those competitions.

Reply #578135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at the lineups the Chinese and other East Asian countries don't bother entering their champion and most of the teams are from the Middle East and it is a short tournament. Nowhere near an organised Champions League style home and away system.

But if AU/NZ are in Asia could be worth getting CN & PH etc. interested again and create an enhanced comp.

Reply #578137 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I wouldn't watch an NBA All Star game any more but would watch an NBL one if one of my teams players were in it.

Used to love seeing Grace / Crawford / Vlahov / Fisher in the old ones.

I'm sure the game and activities will pay for itself, especially if it's in Perth or Melb.

Knowing LK and JL, they'll no doubt take some things away from the NBA All Star Weekend they were supposedly at.

We can't keep on saying "Nah, won't work" "Forget it" etc

We need to find a way TO make it work, just like LK has made a way to make this season work.

Admittedly it might not be next season or the one after, but would love it to come back if the league keeps growing in popularity and stability.

Reply #578139 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

If they revive the McDonalds Championship with an NBA and NBL team in it, will definitely watch that too if it's part of the NBL broadcast rights for the app and Foxtel.

8 - 10 teams, 1 each from:

NBA
CBA (China)
NBL
4 Euro
South America

The more basketball, the better I say.

Reply #578142 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

KET there is a FIBA Asia Champions League each and every year."

Are you talking about the FIBA Asia Champions Cup? I don't think it's been run the past two years and it hasn't had representation from all around Asia for a long time now.

I think once FIBA get their Euro champions league running they should make an Asian champions league a priority. Given Australia and NZ will be competing in Asia from next year onwards NBL clubs would be involved.

Reply #578147 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

The NBA one Barry interests me and I'm a die hard NBA guy, NBL wouldn't be something if watch.

Reply #578149 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We need to find a way TO make it work
Why? The league seems to function perfectly well without it.

Reply #578153 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I predict that it'll come back in 2017-2018 when there are 10 teams.

North vs South format

You read it here. - Baba Vanga (1996)

Reply #578154 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

That's fair enough, looks like most don't care for one.

Though, I wonder how many people on here complained about the schedule of Wed-Sun games when it first came out, then ended up loving it.

Reply #578157 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not saying I hate it and they shouldn't do it under any circumstances, I'm saying if it's not going to work out there are far better things to spend time and money on.

It's just not that important.

Reply #578163 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The last NBL all-star game in Adelaide was highly entertaining, but in a pretty tight schedule I'm not sure it should be a great priority. I'm with koberulz, more important things to spend money on right now.

Reply #578166 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

If they use the money to help bring in new teams and to also keep all teams stable and at a decent profit, then that would be the better option definitely.

This whole 8 teams thing is pretty embarassing.

Reply #578169 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If you can sell tickets, and/or SELL it to Foxtel, why not. Promote the game, make some cash...

Reply #578174 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But you also have to rent a venue, and get uniforms made, and fly everyone to the venue...

Reply #578188 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

celebrity and hype make the NBA allstar weekend... if you're watching for basketball you'll be extremely disappointed. Unless shooting drills float your boat - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Let's make sure the league is floating on its own first before we start pushing for supercillious additions.

Reply #578218 | Report this post

Hoops should have an all star game. Anonymous posters vs normal people.

Reply #578220 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha I suspect that all the anons are one guy, would be a lopsided affair!

Reply #578232 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unless there have been players posting anonymously in the past.

The named team can at least have Kevin Brooks and Cecil Exum, plus some ABL level players.

I imagine flights and accommodation for participants would be a significant issue with the All-Star game. I'd rather they persist with the pre-season tournament instead.

Reply #578252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think once FIBA get their Euro champions league running they should make an Asian champions league a priority. Given Australia and NZ will be competing in Asia from next year onwards NBL clubs would be involved."

You mean World Club Championship running again paul? If so it would be carrott for FIBA Asia to get their act together as everyone would be keen to qualify for it if an NBA side are involved.

Reply #578512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Anon Army would make you all piss.

Reply #578513 | Report this post

Or give everyone the shits

Reply #578515 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You mean World Club Championship running again paul? If so it would be carrott for FIBA Asia to get their act together as everyone would be keen to qualify for it if an NBA side are involved.
Pretty sure the NBA isn't in Asia.

Reply #578520 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ok, so pick your all-star teams!
North vs South seems as good a mode as any, and you have to base it on 1-5.

So here's mine:

NORTH

Khazzough / Jervis
Knight / Garlepp
Childress / Prather
Beal / Steindl
D Martin / Jett

SOUTH

Ogilvy / Jackson
Warrick / Kickert
Penney / Creek
Lisch / Webster
Jackson / Randle

Gotta be honest, that Southern team kicks the Northern ass

Reply #580282 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Creek? LOL!!!!

Reply #580286 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

An NBL All-Star game would be an utter waste of time and resources. As has been mentioned, the NBA All-Star weekend is all about celebrities and hype. The NBL doesn't really have celebrities involved of the same ilk, and the NBL has never done 'hype' particularly well.

I much prefer to see REAL basketball being played. I went to the last All-Star game in Adelaide, and I had a reasonable time, but certainly not moreso than a regular game. I mean, they had Ben Mastin singing there for god's sake!

Spend that same money elevating the league. I love what I am hearing about teams having three imports, four marquee Australian signings, the option of an Asian player as a local, and a salary cap for the remaining players. This is the kind of thing that will help to bring in fresh blood to the league.

Reply #580290 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think Creek would be a perfect all star-game player, drive & dunk, steal in d kind of player. Entertain the crowd

Reply #580293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754