Peter
Years ago

Jerome Randle's future in NBL

Joey was on an Adelaide radio station last night & said Jerome loves the NBL and Adelaide but the club needs a corporate sponsor to have the money to pay the contract he needs (and deserves)

There was a sound grab of Jerome at the MVP awards tonight and he said he is very keen on playing in the NBL next season but he is not sure where yet.

Sounds like other clubs have offered him a huge contract, as they would.

I hope the 36ers can get the job done & get a sponsor as it would be a huge shame if he went to another club, especially Melbourne or Perth who are the most cashed up to make him an offer that is hard to refuse.

Topic #39006 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

$300K+ to keep Jerome apparently.

Reply #578303 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Have heard that $300k figure as well - and also that Adelaide was prepared to pay it. Now to hear they need a corporate sponsor is interesting, particularly given there are people on the board with plenty of money.

Reply #578305 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I didn't think the other clubs could talk with him yet?

Reply #578309 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Officially, no.

Reply #578310 | Report this post

adlfan  
Years ago

I have heard that a consortium of 10 business men own the 36ers, not saying they are all mega rich but surely they have seen what randle has done for the club with increased ticket sales in the short time he has been with them. So surely they could find another $30,000 each to try and keep him. I guess time will tell.

Reply #578317 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know what Gibbo is on but I'm assuming he's gone (if Brisbane are in) and is on good money. Keep Randle, let Gibbo go, give Sobey a bigger role, and go after a 3/4 Torrey Craig type import.

Reply #578320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Randle and want him to stay.

But i cant help thinking if he is going to cost more than $250-300k and the club can offer that much

Would we be better off offering that $250-300 to Ced Jackson, Kevin Lisch, Stephen Holt or seeing if its enough to get a Ty Mckee or Rotnei Clarke or Scottie Wilbekin back to the NBL???

Its a tough one, i just dont reckon NBL clubs can really ever pay more than $250-300k for 1 player, especially if keeping somewhat around the $1 mil cap, i doubt the 36ers can go too much over.

Reply #578350 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know how much anybody gets paid in the NBL, so I don't speculate on actual dollars.
I also don't know how tightly the salary cap is policed, (so many claim that it ISN'T) so I don't know how much clubs actually spend,
For a team with the cash, paying the full cap, and adding somebody like Randle as their Marquee, that's probably not unreasonable. BUT, is Adelaide in that position???

Reality is that Adelaide fell short of the finals this year, despite a good showing, and they'll be looking to improve. Also Sydney have shown what can really happen with a couple of key injuries.

The issue is that if you're prepared to splash that sort of cash, imports are perceived to be easy to come by. If funds are limited (as seems to be suggested) can the 6's really afford to put all their eggs in the Randle basket?

Personally I would be disappointed to see Randle lure away by more cash from another club...

Reply #578351 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Catch-22 is unfortunately that having failed to make the finals, they are in the worst position to chase that big-buck sponsor.

Reply #578352 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

they are in the worst position to chase that big-buck sponsor.

Yeah I dunno about that. Randle brought people through the door, something sponsors love to see. He's a face around town and someone who's connected with the community. I think it's actually the opposite given the way Randle really rejuvenated bball in Adelaide again, in a lot of ways.

Reply #578356 | Report this post

W  
Years ago

I Agree fans love him and he sells tickets. We actually made some money this year! Why mess with that. Im sure a sponser will come forward and realise the opportunity that jerome has created for the 36ers. We updated our stadium, things are moving people!

Reply #578361 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I want Randle to stay in Adelaide, I really do and I'm even more buoyed that the Sixers are prepared to do extra to keep him.

However, from a Sixers as an ongoing concern point of view, how much is too much? If Joey is reaching out to the corporate world 'cap in hand', it indicates to me that the organisation has to consistently achieve and elevated level of income just to afford Randle.

Is this tenable?

If additional income flows into the organisation, wouldn't it be prudent to see it (or at least some) realised as profit to build some reserves for the future? Seems risky to spend every extra cent that comes in.

We all want on court success, but outbiding the Perths and Melbourne could put the Sixers organisation in a precarious financial position.

Reply #578363 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Twitter says Randle to Europe with Brock Motum

Reply #578364 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Eurobasket reporting he's signed with Zalgiris for the rest of this season.

Reply #578366 | Report this post

adlfan  
Years ago

Yeah. Twitter does say he has a euro contract for the rest of the season. So he could still be back in the nbl next season.

Reply #578367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$300K for a midget that everyone will scout next season.

Reply #578368 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ that wasn't me!

Reply #578374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that midget was being heavily scouted already. he is the ultimate fun to watch player that we don't get to see in this country very often.

Reply #578377 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Throw him the cash and take a risk, near sellouts every game towards the end of the season with him. If we keep him and market it right, it should be profitable. BTW if a city of over a million can't get 7,000 to a game with the best and most exciting import in the league then there are bigger issues...

Reply #578378 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know whether major sponsor would come on board just for a single player.
And if they did, would the club want to stick its head in that bear-trap? Star player walks and so does your major sponsor?

At the end of the day, its NOT about impressing fans, its about getting bigger headlines and attracting more fans and attention. Missing the finals is not a good look for that.
First thing a potential major sponsor will ask, is how are you going to spend my money to improve on that?
"Well, we're going to blow most of it keeping the same player we had this year."

Is Randle worth $300k? If Adelaide has the $1M to surround him with decent players, get another half-decent import, and make him their Marquee, then yes.
If their total player budget is $800k, then no.

Reply #578382 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Sign him on around 200k, which is close to what Gibbo would be getting. Get a sponsor to cover extra in return for some marketing with him. Helps the salary cap issue, and gets more exposure for the club.

Reply #578384 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't know whether major sponsor would come on board just for a single player.
Who said anything about a "major" sponsor?

And if they did, would the club want to stick its head in that bear-trap? Star player walks and so does your major sponsor?
Okay, so they lose the money the sponsor was spending on Randle...and don't have to pay for Randle.

What exactly is anyone losing there? Other than Randle, who they lose if the sponsor doesn't come on board in the first place?

Reply #578385 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

How do you attract more fans if you don't impress them??

Randle created a buzz in Adelaide not seen for a long time, even for non-basketball people.

Missing the playoffs is going to have zero impact on the club being able to attract potential sponsorship.

Reply #578399 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Would we be better off offering that $250-300 to Ced Jackson, Kevin Lisch, Stephen Holt or seeing if its enough to get a Ty Mckee or Rotnei Clarke or Scottie Wilbekin back to the NBL???"

Lisch, maybe (though you won't get him leaving the east coast). But Randle is a much better prospect than all those other names and now has a proven track record in ADL.

Reply #578403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you might get better results with Lisch or Jackson, but Randle seems to be more of a drawcard. That said, winning will bring in fans.

At the end of the day, its NOT about impressing fans, its about getting bigger headlines and attracting more fans and attention. Missing the finals is not a good look for that.
They narrowly missed finals, largely thanks to games Randle didn't play in. And Randle brought in fans and got headlines.
In past 36ers history, someone chipped in money to get a star, drawcard player in town. That player left and the sponsor became/remained a part owner. The issue ended up being the source of the funds and not the player leaving. (That sponsor was gaoled.)

If the 36ers put the right effort into their marketing, I think they wouldn't find themselves in this position of "need a new sponsor to justify a marquee player".

Reply #578417 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

The first thing any potential sponsor is going to ask is 'what do we get for our money?' At the moment most clubs can't answer that due to not knowing what Foxtel is going to do with its Live games next season. No sponsor will come on board with 300k+ to impress the 3000-13000 people who pay to watch the games in person, they all want the national stage which they won't get without the Fox coverage.

Randal's is a top player who may be one of the few stars who can look past the big crowds of Perth and bright lights of Melbourne and Sydney, if you have the money you pay him. No one wants to see 3 average players over 1 star.

Reply #578441 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Bright Lights of Sydney? huh? LEts be honest here, how many people on the street in Sydney might be able say the name of any player on the Kings team bar Childress? You might get 10/100.

I think Sydney as a Basketball highlight of Australia has long past run its due date. Sydney HAS to have a team.. thats expected but it seems that few people in Sydney probably give a shit about it.

Reply #578445 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Pay him what he wants !

Reply #578456 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Matthew, ask any ex-NBA, D-League or Euro basket player on the streets of Miami or Zagreb if they've heard of Adelaide. Imports are lured to big cities they know.

Reply #578466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zagreb ?? LOL

Reply #578483 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Sixers board meeting tomorrow apparently where the Randle thing is expected to be signed off on one way or another.

Reply #578496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are the Sixers so deficient in signing sponsors out of all the capital city teams. Now they have to cry on radio for one. Get your act together.

Ok I'll be fair is it the Sixers or Adelaide in general? I've heard there is not much money or jobs in Adelaide and it is the poorest of all capitals.

Reply #578506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754