Isaac
Years ago

Coach of the Year: Shawn Dennis

Is anyone unhappy with this pick? He seemed to get some serious mileage out of that roster, even with the struggles and sacking of the reigning MVP.

Topic #39010 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman is coaching a team that is already a proven championship winner and although up and down in form has made it to finals for most of the season it could be said they underperformed.

Demos......... Melb have also bounced around but have made finals with an over the cap team and has coached overseas has improved the side but at what $$

Connerly, personally I think Knight & co are coaching this team and Connerly is the front man and they have a horrible record.

Joey Wright IMO has under achieved found wanting under pressure without being able to come up with a better game plan to get the team playing well. Starting with a zone against NZ so so costly and what was with Larkin for 3 seconds.

Dennis in comparison even though they finished lower IMO got the best out of his guys and continue improvement and has a core group which could take them further next year.

Beveredge has improved illawarra but bringing Penny and Lisch to any team would do that. But he does bring out the best in his teams.

Gleeson, like Wright IMO lacks game plans when the wheels fall off. Reactive not proactive I can't see Perth winning a this year with Gleeson coaching but I may just well have to eat my words and I don't think many Perth fans like him either.

So yes I think Dennis deserves the accolade and Boti has been hinting at it for a while.

Reply #578391 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vickerman was rolling until the Webster thing disrupted them and they temporarily lost their way. Bevo is very much liked at the Hawks. But yes, top four teams are fairly stacked.

I think Adelaide finished about where I expected, probably better-than based on their initial roster.

After one of Townsville's early games, I expected them to lose every game by 20+ and drop out of the competition mid-season due to failing crowds and funds. Dennis did really well - good pick regardless of their finishing position IMO.

Reply #578392 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

The thing you can't overlook is the incremental improvement in Townsville through the course of the season. A coach is meant to unite a group and get them improving as a cohesive unit. Their offence was an absolute rabble early on, some of the worst I've seen in the NBL in years. And the only reason they would keep teams below 100 is because other teams switched off for large portions of the game and the Crocs played at such a slow pace. They also found themselves down double digits in the first quarter in eight or nine of their first 10 games, which is pretty ridiculous.

Dennis is deserving because you saw the great improvements before your eyes, and the chemistry up there is amazing. Jett and Samhan have both already told media that they want to be back next season

Reply #578395 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

What is the method of voting for this award? If this applied to the MVP, then Randle would have won it (no disrespect to Lisch).

I'm not suggesting SD hasn't done a great job with the roster but team success has to play a fairly big role in the award, and that's why I think it should go to Demos.

Imagine the outrage in the NBA if the Milwaukee coach got COTY because they cracked the Warriors unbeaten start to the season.

Reply #578397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbóurne were forecast to be a borderline top 4 side and finished top in a stacked league. Demopolous should've won it

Reply #578411 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

By Round 1 United were favourites to win the comp, but what's overlooked is the number of new faces in Melbourne. Demopoulos did a great job getting that team to jel. They flat out blew up that roster in the off-season.

Also, not that I know the behind-the-scenes personalities of anyone on the team, but generally when there are a bunch of stars they all want their slice of the pie and some can get disgruntled when they don't get that. Especially a guy straight out of college looking to make his mark. For that, I applaud Stephen Holt. He seems super mature. Great job by DD to manage his men.

Reply #578413 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm not unhappy with the pick. Unusual to see the coach of a bad team get it, but SD did pretty well with the "talent" at his disposal.
There was no obvious pick for COTY in my mind.

Reply #578418 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Dennis was my pick. Great effort with such a young team, especially in the second half of the season to keep winning instead of running out of steam.

Bevo and Demopoulos did well with new rosters or in DD's case, in a new league. Wright also did well. So they would have all been in the mix too.

Reply #578423 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Note when I say winning, I mean "Not losing almost every game" which is what I expected them to do!

Reply #578424 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

Tough one, Bevo maybe taking Hawks form bottom to 3rd.

I like Dennis but when all is said and done he took a team from 8th to 7th and that probably said more about Sydney then Townsville.

Having said that Townsville were really good to watch this year.

Reply #578425 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Without starting new Topic, anyone know where Peter Crawford (Townsville boy) is these days?

Reply #578426 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No one did a great coaching job this year, but you can't give coach of the year to a guy who has shown no year-on-year improvement at the helm of a team that has finished last or second last in each of his seasons in charge. His teams consistently rank near the bottom of both offensive and defensive efficiency. His coaching was much better this year after his first few in Tsv were absolutely incompetent (despite rave reviews from hoops fans everywhere for god knows why).

That is not coach of the year material.

The problem is there are few actual basketball fans following the Crocs any more so he just gets a good wrap from the "we have to support our team" homer crowd who dont really know the game.

Reply #578427 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Mick, I'm reminded of that old saying about horses and jockeys.

Doesn't matter if you're Damian Oliver or Michelle Payne or Glen Boss or whatever, if you're riding a donkey then you're not going to win the Melbourne Cup.

Given the roster Dennis had at his disposal, 11 wins is a great result. Demopoulos or Bevo would've had to notch at least 21 wins to get near Dennis IMO.

Reply #578433 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

bowtie, I think PC is still here in Adelaide. A few months ago I saw him walking out of a car park in the city and people have said he's been helping out with coaching the Lightning this season. Not sure if he's still here though.

I was actually hoping Shawn Dennis would win COTY but thought they would give it to Bevo instead. For what he had to work with and how hard they played Dennis deserved it. That roster should've been lucky to win 3-5 games and they won 11 games. I just hope this wasn't their last season but if so a good way to go out really.

Reply #578438 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

LV you said it yourself, if you are riding a Donkey you don't win.

Having some good ones doesn't make you coach of the year, the team was not a donkey (Sydney were) they had some talent but not as good hence position.

Congrats great job finishing 7th. ???? Surely team selection is part of that process ??

Reply #578439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michelle Payne road 100 to 1 to win the Melbourne cup, don't think 2nd last should be coach of the year. Bevo for mine.

Reply #578442 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Cheer up, Mick!

Reply #578443 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

Given the Crocs player budget, SD did a remarkable job putting a team that was consistently so competitive on the court.

Reply #578444 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Good choice IMO,great job with a low budget team. Making playoffs shouldn't be the reason you get coach of the year.

Personally think all the award winners this year was pretty spot on.

Reply #578446 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am reminded of this saying:

'Are your players afraid to lose or are they inspired to win?'

Coaching at any level one can ask him or herself this question and if the answer affords you the compliment that your players are out there playing to win and you as a coach can inspire them rather than always berate them, then you are more than half way to being a decent coach...

Reply #578448 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Considering the ups and downs and how close the season was, also how many upsets we had this season it isn't an easy choice.

I am happy with it, however a couple of standouts could count themselves unlucky this season.

Close call for coach of the year, one I wouldn't have liked to make, but as I have said I don't mind this choice...

Reply #578450 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

The way Joey carried on against NZ in relation to Larkin, a DP player who hasn't seen any previous minutes, was pretty pathetic in my book.

I think that was a small but important detail to acknowledge when being critical of the season.

Interesting that everyone seems to love playing for Joey given the way he seems to carry on sometimes.

Reply #578455 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but the problem is if you give Dennis an all star roster of vets they will all end up hating him and won't win many games. 7th or 8th is his ceiling regardless of what roster he coaches. He has proven that in his time in Townsville. He is the Scott Skiles of the NBL. He'll get a young team to overperform and a veteran team to underperform. Why should a guy with a winning record so far below .500 (both this season and his career) even be in the conversation?

Reply #578464 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Mick, how can you possibly say that Dennis would finish 7th no matter what?

We're talking about coach of the *year* not coach of the century or coach of the decade.

If we use your logic, well Trevor Gleeson stunk it up in his one year in Melbourne. Everyone hated him and he left after one unsuccessful season. Did that mean he should never win COTY? Of course not.

Dennis did more with what he had than any other NBL coach this season. That’s why we’re all saying he was a deserving winner. That’s all it comes down to.

Reply #578465 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Mick, persistently slamming people isn't a healthy way to live!

Provide us with facts if you want to peddle such irregular opinion. Don't just be a contrarian troll, man!

Guess Oscar Wilde was right when he said, "man kills the thing he loves". You're a Crocs fan, don't be so critical of your squad, bro.

Reply #578471 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson was a proven winner over many seasons in Townsville. Dennis has never won in this league as a head coach. Apples and oranges.

Reply #578472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Congrats great job finishing 7th. ???? Surely team selection is part of that process ??
On a budget with the odour of a dying franchise around you. They lost probably their brightest light. Then their MVP had a shoddy start to the season.

They got nothing out of Schenscher. Jett took a while to get going. How many Taipans discards did they take on?

Finished one win behind Cairns who added Wortho and kept a pretty solid roster from last year besides one import.

Reply #578473 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Love that quote Bear!

Reply #578474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the veteran team will hate him because they will have to follow instructions not just wing it.

Reply #578481 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm honestly not sure what part of "Coach of the Year" is difficult to understand.

Best coach- the guy who got the most out of his players

This year- Season 2015/16

Reply #578487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #578391 good summary you missed Fearne though. Two words: total fail.

Reply #578503 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And of course, Mick, Gleeson was a winner in Townsville. That was my whole point! Coaches can have good years and bad years. Gleeson may have had a bad year in Melbourne, just like Dennis might have had a bad year last year.

You can't just say "Dennis has never had a winning season: therefore he should never win coach of the year". The point is this: It's possible to coach really well and your team to have a losing record. If you don't have the players, you don't have the players. No one tipped Townsville to get 11 wins, did they? Now, I wonder why that might be?

Reply #578507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sucked at Newcastle too.

Reply #578509 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That was over 15 years ago.

Reply #578521 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gotta be honest, whilst I think he did an ok job with what he had, I don't think the award goes to the coach of the team that finished 2nd last.

If I had to pick, I would give it to Bevo. Considering where the Hawks have come from, he's done a marvellous job. People discount his achievement because of the achievements of his players, but it goes both ways, he has definitely brought out the best in those players.

Reply #578559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo added two All NBL 1st team players and one 2nd team player to the team while Dennis lost their franchise player Blanchfield and then the League MVP (which wasn't his decision) and Bevo's team only won 6 more games for the season. That says a lot.

Reply #578624 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So if Bevo takes the Hawks all the way to a championship, that means he's a SHIT coach because he had a team of champions?
ON that basis we should give coach of the year to Connelly because his players were shit!

At the start of this season, Ogilvy was a bum who spent more time on his back than a hooker, and people were saying Lisch wasn't worth an import spot. Yet by the halfway mark both ere in contention for MVP and DPoTY.
Dennis started the season with the league's MVP, and by the same time he was nothing but an elbow throwing crab. They were given a lifeline after the Martin hit, but instead of getting Conklin to pull his head in, Dennis let him continue.

Don't get me wrong, had Dennis taken the Crocs to the finals with the same squad, I would have applauded. But you can't say that because they were shit, that means the players were shit, and therefore the coach must be wonderful.

Reply #578627 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So if Bevo takes the Hawks all the way to a championship, that means he's a SHIT coach because he had a team of champions?
No, and nobody's saying that.

ON that basis we should give coach of the year to Connelly because his players were shit!
Sydney were almost unanimously tipped to make the playoffs this year, some tipping them as high as top spot. They won six games.

At the start of this season, Ogilvy was a bum who spent more time on his back than a hooker, and people were saying Lisch wasn't worth an import spot.
Are you...are you serious? Ogilvy was the consensus MVP at the start of the season. I don't recall a single negative thing being said about either of those players. If there was any criticism at all it was of Kirk Penney, and that stopped after the second or third game.

Would it really hurt you to operate in the real world for a change?

Dennis started the season with the league's MVP
And absolutely nothing else. All up, a roster tipped to win two or three games. They won eleven. They beat every team bar Illawarra, and had an overtime loss to the Hawks. They beat Perth and Melbourne on the road and came within millimetres of doing the same thing to Illawarra and New Zealand.

They won more games against the top two teams than most people thought they would win against the entire league.

They were given a lifeline after the Martin hit, but instead of getting Conklin to pull his head in, Dennis let him continue.
You have NFI what Dennis did.

Don't get me wrong, had Dennis taken the Crocs to the finals with the same squad, I would have applauded. But you can't say that because they were shit, that means the players were shit, and therefore the coach must be wonderful.
But they, as a team, weren't shit. They won 11 games. Last season that was good enough for sixth spot.

They did this despite losing Todd Blanchfield and Steven Markovic, who were pretty big pieces for them.

I had Bevo as COTY (due to Ellis, White and Weeks, in that order, and not due to the team's record), but I can't argue with the Dennis pick. Those are the two candidates. Nobody's saying Bevo is a bad coach, except maybe in this alternate universe you live in where Townsville won five games and AJ Ogilvy had a bad start to the season.

Reply #578632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754