Wookiee
Years ago

Kings 16/17

Ok, so that was a pretty disappointing season to say the least...

Looking forward to season 16/17, the situation I guess is...

- Jules, Jeromie and Gus are all signed for next year...
- We finally get to get rid of Thornton...
- The Markovic Experiment (finally getting an experienced local PG) was a bust...
- We went through two coaches, both of which weren't up to the task...
- The Ownership/Management groups were more meddlesome than an Italian mother-in-law...
- When Chill was healthy, he was still one of the best players in the league...
- The team lacked any defensive identity...

So moving forward, the way I see it simply is...

First and foremost, the Ownership group needs to hire a top level head coach and get the frack out of their way... They need to pick their own team and none of this band-aid solution rubbish... They're not going to win a championship next season, but need to be able to build towards it and have the full backing of the owners and management... Think Perth, NZ, and Hawks from this season...

If he remains healthy throughout his D-League stint and wants to come back, bringing Chill back needs to be the next priority... Great for the team, great for the league... Can't wait forever though, and contingencies need to be thought of well in advance just in case he holds out too long or gets injured again...

More balance to the team, but also a focus on defence has to be made... Multiple 30+ quarters this season is just a bloody embarrassment...

An actual fit to play experienced PG is needed... Cadee was a shining light for a lot of games this season, but needs more of a floor leader as he's not that yet, if he'll get there at all... A Lisch or Rotnei Clarke type (or just the latter!) would be ideal as could take a lot of the scoring load as well, although my bias is out there on show, but I still think Damo is worth chasing hard if he doesn't take his option up for next season... Immediate defence and leadership and just an all round great person to have on your team... Would be tough to get him out of a championship level team with amazing crowds and facilities and support from the management... But you don't get if you don't ask...

Getting tougher up front as well wouldn't hurt... I haven't seen the numbers but the Kings rebounding for and against was terrible. Getting some young toughness with a look towards the future and having a coach that can light a fire under Jules would be great... Kay sounds like he's available, and even though I'm bias towards NSW country boys, he's been a standout this season...

Would like to see Tommy back, but as many others have mentioned, his D isn't quite up to scratch... I think Hill was an incorrect signing, even though he tried hard and was a victim of inconsistent minutes like Ellis was previously...

Going forward, I would love a team like:

Damo / Cadee
Clarke* / McCarron
Childress* / Steindl?
Kay / Hill? (or Garlepp if we can ditch Hill)
Khazzouh / Brandt

Damo and McCarron would strengthen the backcourt D, hopefully Kay could help the front court with a fire lit under Tommy and Jules... If not Steindl, Prewster actually was ok in teh tail end of the season once he found his place a bit more... If we could get the others, McCarron could spend some time at SF as well if needed, so if Chill goes down, that spot could be better covered...

If I'm dreaming (and most of the above is) a Knight/Kay combo would be even better...

I think everyone can agree that if the Kings had Lisch this season, when Childress went down, things wouldn't have been as bad, so the addition of someone like Clarke is really key... Can run the floor, keep the team on track and still put up points... Plus again, a great team guy as well... It's all about balance... All the eggs were put in the Childress basket and when that went to kaka, the team didn't know what to do...

Not sure of Webster's status, I initially thought that with the whole drama over there, he might want to get out of town for a bit if hew wasn't back on his initial 3yr deal with the Breakers (if we could get a Vickerman/Webster package) as his scoring would offset Damo's lack of such, but with a new bub just arrived, no chance...

So that's probably a lot of waffle, but if we can chase Damo and Clarke hard, they would make a HUGE improvement to the team... I'm not sure how Sydney stacks up against Spain, but as a Kings fan, I've developed a liking for Metro State players and think that McCarron would be a great addition... A hard worker on D that can get to the basket at the other end...

None of this will happen though if the main point of the ownership group pulling their fingers out doesn't happen...

Topic #39019 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Bring back Brian Goorjian

Reply #578453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ THIS

Reply #578457 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

or prime Leon Trimmingham.

Reply #578460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter was up to the game and the ownership group and T Hudson refused to let Cotter pick his own team. Childress needs to go and bring in a stud.

Reply #578461 | Report this post

I really don't see how he is good for the league, unless you're going down the "any publicity is good publicity" path. He is a high profile player for sure but his numerous displays of petulance aren't a good look.

Reply #578463 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Numerous displays? I know he had the one incident (the flying elbow one) but what else has he done Chalmers? Or are you just a Perth fan tryna hate?

Reply #578468 | Report this post

I don't know what tryna means.

The flying elbow and his poor attitude with that was bad enough. But also he has tweeted shit about the league and the refs on at least two occasions, and he also was suspended this season for following, abusing and threatening refs.

Reply #578470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do you think would be a good coach for this team? And who can stand up to the (Bully Hudson) board.

Reply #578478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he has tweeted shit about the league and the refs on at least two occasions" Which part of that is wrong?

Reply #578480 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If we can avoid the nonsense of Bring Back Brian as I think that has been done to death, yes?

I agree that management screwed Cotter over, but it's not like he had a whole team of chumps, he still didn't have the best effort during games and couldn't or wouldn't fire his team up... His key players (before getting injured) weren't used properly and they started off the season absolutely crap on D and it didn't get better... The only positives that I can think of are the rumours that he wanted to cut Thornton pre-season, but was overruled...

It doesn't change the fact that the Kings need a significantly more qualified head coach to make any headway... The only acception I'd make would be if we can tempt Nielsen back if Trev's multi-year offer comes good... He's been learning under some really good organisations, is probably the most identifiable local Kings player and could actually be a drawcard for fans and players...

Supernintendo Chalmers, I think you're using "numerous" incorrectly... Two incidents (the latter re: refs was justified and happened in the same round as Cedric Jackson's F-bomb on live tv as he screamed at the refs wasn't it and he didn't even get called on it?) and I can't remember him ever tweeting shit about the league. He's not alone in tweeting about the refs, NUMEROUS players have done that numerous times, and he's done it a LOT less than Unitard players, so that shouldn't make him stand out... Randle had a bitch about the refs and no calls on him in his farewell letter, didn't he? Have you been saying that he's not good for the league as well?

He's brought some ex-NBA credibility to the league and has helped with the recruitment of Hakim Warrick, which I think you'll agree has turned out ok? Getting Al Harrington in was a big boost as well, and even if not all of them have been huge successes, it still gives the league some extra credibility... Not saying that he's the be all and end all saviour, but it's helped...

Reply #578488 | Report this post

A big name NBA player tweeting that "these refs are the worst I've ever seen" or similar has far worse impact that a unknown United player saying the same.

Reply #578490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't reckon the Kings would be in a better shape than Townsville, maybe worse. Lots of share holders makes hard to run. Hudson and Childress I don't believe are the problems, will be an interesting post season.
Re coaches a lot of the players improved under Connolly, Cadee and Brandt a lot. Who's next ? Ain't many out there .

Reply #578494 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I doubt his criticism would have much impact, especially when he's right... I think you're making a huge deal about nothing, especially if it was only once or twice...

Reply #578497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After getting the wooden spoon the Kings can rebuild slowly through the draft.

Reply #578498 | Report this post

Who determines that he is right? Kings fans?

I'm not making a huge deal out of anything. I have stated the things he has done wrong in the two seasons he has been here. Been suspended twice, rubbish the refs at least twice, bagged the league once - thats five separate incidents, and why I used the word "numerous."

Is that what you want from your highest profile player?

Reply #578499 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

It's not ideal, and agree it's not a good look, but doesn't mean he should be punted from the league.

Reply #578502 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

If you're going to group a few tweets in with his actual incidents of note, then you're not being rational...

After getting the wooden spoon the Kings can rebuild slowly through the draft.

#tankforsimmons ?

Reply #578504 | Report this post

Coming from the guy who thinks chasing down and threatening the referees was justified...

Reply #578505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ everything above. Kings have always and will continue to be a mediocre placeholder for the city of Sydney in this league. Bar the Goorjian era they are doing what they've always done - been all violet and crumbly-like. Business as usual, carry on.

Reply #578508 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

These days I wonder if Chalmers is just a troll..... Smh.

btw "tryna" means trying, I thought you'd know that.

You name all the bad things he's done for the league, let's name some good for things.

Brought in Warrick, Harrington and James. Has basically become the face of the league. Last season (2014/15) brought a lot of new fans to Kings games and has down right been one of the most talented players in the league....

As for the coach, if Dennis is available I'd be going hard for him. I'm sure we can offer him more money then the Crocs can.

Next season, we need a good import PG, so someone like Clarke, Randle, Holt or even Sanders would fit the role. Also with 3 imports coming into the league next season, it would probably be smart (if we resign Childress) to either get a backup SF, or a starting 2 guard who's big enough to play SF. Like Prather

Also, I don't know how much money or points cap wortho would be demanding but if we can't get back Garlepp (or even if we can) Wortho could a decent pickup.

If we're going to want to do well, we need someone to lead the bench. So maybe a back up import of sort to lead, if not someone like Stiendl or Wortho would be great off the bench.

I say keep Squiddi, but try and get rid of Hill and go for someone like Wortho or Walker.

Reply #578519 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Brought in Warrick, Harrington and James.
Citation needed on Warrick, and James...was not a good thing.

Has basically become the face of the league.
Really?

As for the coach, if Dennis is available I'd be going hard for him. I'm sure we can offer him more money then the Crocs can.
Can you offer him enough to make up for the fact that he's coaching the Kings, though?

Reply #578523 | Report this post

Funny, I don't actually wonder anything about you.

"Has basically become the face of the league. Last season (2014/15) brought a lot of new fans to Kings games and has down right been one of the most talented players in the league...."

If only you'd stopped and thought about what you were about to post before tryna make my point for me.

Reply #578524 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

You wouldn't happen to be a Wildcats fan Chalmers?

Reply #578525 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Also what you're telling me is that he's done more bad for the league then good?

Reply #578526 | Report this post

I just looked at the NBL website. His face is nowhere to be seen. Obviously its the wrong time of the season for the Kings but on the awards decal which shows one player for each team, they went with Khazzouh.

Reply #578527 | Report this post

I wouldn't say more bad than good but its not like he has used his profile in a wonderful manner at all times like some people would have you believe.

Reply #578528 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I can kind of agree on that, but at the same time, he's only had really 2 incidents (now that I think about, as I hadn't remembered the second suspension), however I don't really, recall any tweets. Personally I liked him while he was here, however I wouldn't mind if he left.

Can we get back to the original thread topic now?

Reply #578529 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Wortho too comfortable in Cairns. Family support and good personal sponsorship. However, Melbourne could be made a drawcard as he likes the media work.

Reply #578530 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings will bring back Childress if they are able to, no question. If he's healthy and does well in the NBDL (and possibly NBA) then it's probably not going to happen.

We need to upgrade our backcourt, bring in an import PG with professional experience, a legit 2-man (Madgen?), and have Cadee as first guard off the bench.

Might be controversial, but I let Tommy walk if he's a FA I think... our perimeter D has been woeful and you figure Julian and Brandt are our 4/5 next year, which puts Tommy out on the perimeter again on D where he just can't close out on guys quickly enough and sags off bigs who can shoot (Kickert). I'd be OK with him in a bench role, but I think he could easily sign someplace else with a better defensive culture and probably start and average 16ppg. I just think we don't have the team around him in Sydney to make up for his deficiencies.

Reply #578540 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I am a Cats fan and think Childress is great for the league. For better or worse he got the NBL some coverage and attention (His elbow made SportCentre).

Love your optimism Wookie but I think you'll struggle to get Martin, yes he is from NSW but if he's heading home (which i doubt) he's going to Bevo in the Gong.

Knight is the Cat to chase, if Jawai returns and Beal naturalizes Knight may be the one who gets forced out as Jervis is starting to demand more minutes.

After living in Sydney for 2 years and seeing the Cats vs the Kings and the Hawks everytime the biggest change that needs to happen next season needs to be in the game night entertainment department. olympic park or entertainment centre, it didnt matter the crowd was flat. The announcer is crap, saying 'who's ball' 30 times a night and coming up with nicknames like J Chill is just sad and the crowd seems bored. With the move to olympic park the kings nned to start owning western sydney and get the young familys in the Hills and Penrith areas involved.

Reply #578557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So whats your coaching experience Angus? Garlepp is one of the most improved Kings players and there ain't anyone in NSW that can fill his role. If he is a FA who would you select to replace him?

Reply #578594 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Khazzouh / Brandt
Garlepp / Hill
Childress* / Prewster
Import* / Faithful
Cadee / Import*

Reply #578622 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Imports needed for starting PG and PF.

Childress in or out doesn't bother me but you have to have a quality backup to cover his inevitable injury.

Reply #578641 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Can't get a starting import PF, already gonna have Garlepp (if we get him) and Hill (who's contracted) there.

I'd like to see an import
PG
Childress and an import backup SG who is big enough to play SF if Childress is injured. Like Prather

Reply #578691 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Next season, we need a good import PG, so someone like Clarke, Randle, Holt or even Sanders would fit the role.

Yeah, I was a fan of Sanders when he was here, he was like Damo-lite, but like with Damo, we'd need to have the scorers around him to make up for his deficiencies in that area... And the downside of Sanders over Damo is that you're using an import spot, however this is much less of an impact if the 3 import rule comes in... But that's another mess all together...

I like the Wortho idea and would really love to see him see out his career where it all started, he still looks to have a lot of ties to the people here when he plays here, but I would wager that like bowtie says above, too settled up there (plus one year on his contract?)

He'd be my first choice tbh... Like most other options though, I don't think that the main sticking point would be about the money, it would be a guarantee of no interference from above...

Citation needed on Warrick, and James...was not a good thing.

I'd disagree with Warrick, but definitely with James... not a good thing at all...

We need to upgrade our backcourt, bring in an import PG with professional experience, a legit 2-man (Madgen?), and have Cadee as first guard off the bench.

The strength of the backcourt will be determined if Cadee starts or comes off the bench... Having him first off the bench to provide that kick would be great... I think it's too soon that Madgen would come back (keep your dirty mitts off him, SA fans!) after only one year overseas... Would love it if he did though, and hope he's true to his word that once he's done overseas he'll come back and chase that championship with the Kings...

Might be controversial, but I let Tommy walk if he's a FA I think...

You make all good points, really, and I think very valid if we're needing him as a starter, but if we can have him off the bench (same as Cadee) then I think that would be good... I know he might be able to get more ppg elsewhere, but it's those sacrifices that players make that make a team stronger and contenders...

Reply #578692 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Love your optimism Wookie but I think you'll struggle to get Martin, yes he is from NSW but if he's heading home (which i doubt) he's going to Bevo in the Gong.

Yeah, I agree for sure... But you never know with budgets and which players will be returning... I'm not sure how they're set to be able to spend as much as they did this season next season... Like I said, you don't get if you don't ask, and if I was the Kings, I'd be making my intentions very much known as soon as (legally) possible... If not even sooner...

Knight is the Cat to chase, if Jawai returns and Beal naturalizes Knight may be the one who gets forced out as Jervis is starting to demand more minutes.

Yeah, you'd think something would have to give in that situation, surely... Knight is still at a top level that he'd be able to dominate on a different team, but also, depends on how comfy he is, if he's still got that drive to do whatever it takes to get that win, of he's ok with being a cog in the machine...

the biggest change that needs to happen next season needs to be in the game night entertainment department

Gonna have to agree to disagree, the biggest change needs to be management/owners, then coach then defensive mentality, but agree that the EC seemed like a dead space a lot of the time... But the positive at least for moving out to Homebush has been that the vibe has been a LOT better during games and the players have noticed and have been responding that the atmosphere is so much better, but agree that more needs to be done outside the arena to make it more of an event... I proposed getting a bunch of food trucks out there (there's apparently a decent food truck culture in Sydney?) on a fan page, but things to do for kids is pretty light on... Face painting, more of those shooting games for kids, getting companies out to give free stuff away, kids don't care whose name is on a balloon or a pencil case, they just want free stuff!

More work definitely needs to be done getting families in the door, they do good community work with the players, but that needs to translate to bums on seats... School night games will definitely have an impact on that though, We got our early bird pricing for tickets already and there's no decrease from last season where they split the venues, so I'd like to know their thinking behind that, maybe with near capacity crowds to end the season at the current venue they think they'll get the walk up numbers to make up for lower memberships?

Childress in or out doesn't bother me but you have to have a quality backup to cover his inevitable injury.

Like I said above, if we had have chosen Lisch instead of Thornton, that would have provided a lot more cover when he went down... I know, I need to Elsa the whole Lisch thing...

Reply #578693 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Can't get a starting import PF, already gonna have Garlepp (if we get him) and Hill (who's contracted) there.

We're letting Tommy walk ;-) (see AngusH post above).

I agree that the team needs a more reliable outside shooter so that's your 3rd import spot if that's the way the league is going. Is that official or just the usual wishful thinking from fans of the richer clubs (i.e. Wildcats)? Anyway, an import SG who can hit the 3 & was big enough to backup at PF when needed would be the ideal fit.

My issue with the Kings teams in recent years is that they've had far too many "combo" or "tweener" players who did not excel at any specific role. Cadee & Garlepp are 2 that I think fit into that category. Versatility is great to have but not at the expense of quality & the Kings have had too many "jack of all trades but master of none" for my liking.

Reply #578699 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ anon 594;

No head coaching experience, just someone who watches a lot of games. Garlepp is great offensively and was probably our most consistent scorer. Scoring has not been the problem for us though. We are a sieve on defense inside and out, but our perimeter defense is particularly attrocious. Frantic overhelping, closing out on non-shooters, etc. I'm not laying the blame all on Tommy, but he is a bad perimeter defender and has been for years.

Slide him to the 4 spot and he's just not a good enough rebounder and not strong enough to guard guys on the blocks, although he does put in the effort.

Kings biggest focus if they want to go from wooden spoon to contenders should be defense, rebounding, and getting a steady playmaker, in that order.

Reply #578742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please get over this Beal naturalising phurphy.

Reply #578780 | Report this post

Isn't he naturalising?

Reply #578782 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

@D4444, from what I've heard, the 3 import rule is (most likely) going to happen, unless the NBL decides other wise, but as of now I think it is happening (although it hasn't been officially announced).

As for Garlepp, I wouldn't be surprised if he went over to Brisbane and if letting him go means we can get someone like Motum, then it would be worth it, but I'd prefer to keep him just in case.

If the Kings are going to at least try and win, Cadee needs to be benched. I know before the start of last season I said we should've given him a chance, but it's clear he can't lead a team.

Like I said before, we need an import PG, but not a scoring PG, or a PG coming straight out of college, we need an experienced PG, and it would help if he's played in the NBL. So Holt, Wilbekin or even Sanders would be great for that role, except I'm sure there would be some other point guards that are still yet to play in the league out there.

I think having an import SG that can play SF (kind of like Prewster) could be beneficial if we resign Childress, but if we're unable to retain Childress then what would our starting 5 look like? It would be smart to have at least one import off the bench, just to make sure our bench has some extra power.

You'd think our lineup would go:

Import PG/ Cadee
Aussie SG/ Mccarron
Import SF or Childress/ Prewster
Garlepp/Wortho or hill
Khazzouh/ Brandt

The still lots of questions and possibilities with this roster, but if we we're to go with an Aussie SG who would we go for? Like Wookie said, I don't think Madgen will come back so soon, so who else would you put there?
Goulding? Stiendl? I really can't think of any.

The only team position that's set is the Centre position.

Reply #578982 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'd disagree with Warrick, but definitely with James... not a good thing at all...
I wasn't saying Warrick was a bad thing, just that I hadn't heard anything indicating Childress was involved.

Reply #579012 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Yes Rex, I agree about Cadee not being starting quality.

The problem I have with the roster you suggest is bigs. As AngusH correctly says, defence was a huge issue last season as was rebounds and your bigs on that roster suck at both. You need to insert somebody who can monster the boards and provide a defensive presence under the basket.

I agree that you need a SG would can switch to SF (that's what I meant to say in my post above but it somehow came out as PF which is a big ask for a guard)

Reply #579027 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

Yeah that's true. We can't let go of Khazzouh though, he's too good, Brandt is still contracted, so we're kind of stuck at the centre position.

Jeromie Hill actually crashes the boards, but as for Garlepp, you share a good point. Who would take his spot? Motum?

Reply #579028 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

That's why my original post had an import PF.

Reply #579032 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't see why Brandt and Khazzouh can't start with an import 3. Khazzouh both have some range on their jumper, so it's not going to kill spacing, and both guys can rebound, block shots, and defend inside. Bring back Vandenberg and have him and Hill backing up 5/4 spots, with Prewster at the 2/3 and Cadee first guard off the bench.

Reply #579065 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You would need an outstanding defensive coach and very good perimeter defenders to make that work.

Reply #579067 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree, but the Kings need both of those things regardless of who suits up at the 4 or 5 spots!

Reply #579073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vandenburg, not seabl quality, rumour was he was a management pick. Kings got appoint coach first and go from there.

Reply #579075 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That was the word on Vandenberg when they signed him, but he looked like a legit backup in his limited time for the Kings. Not overly skilled but very long and looks to throw everything down around the hoop... a lot more mobile than I expected.

Reply #579077 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would like to see how he went if he got his body into professional condition. He definitely showed some potential and wouldn't be the worst pick as a 4th big for a team if they can get him in shape.

Reply #579078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He only throws it down on small guys, any one that got size he's backing away. Spent 5 years in good college system and at his size should dominate, if kazzu and Brandt still there just waste of a spot.

Reply #579083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You Kings need a GREAT coach

Whos available?
Dean Vickerman (Great Coach)
Sean Dennis (Great Coach)
I read Derek Rucker is going hard for it? (Not sure about that one)
Is Brendan Joyce available? (Great Coach but may have burnt too many bridges)

The only problem you Kings have is your pathetic board, who actually think they are doing a great job. So whoever the coach is, has to deal with that S%$T. (Good luck)

Poor Damian Cotter had no chance!

It is no secret that you are the laughing stock of the league!

We all feel sorry for you, but doesn't look like things are going to change to soon.

Go Hawks!!

Reply #579532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the kings need a coach with playoff experience and strong enough to be straight up with management

They should be targeting guys like Vickerman, Bevo (pretty sure he only signed for 1 year), Joyce, not sure what guys like Stacker and Westover have been doing since leaving the NBL but if they have been coaching overseas they could be worth considering,

not sure if id go for Dennis, he has done great with Townsville, but he doesnt really have the runs on the board as far as wins and playoffs to withstand the heat of this job, and it appears that the kings expect wins even if there whole stating 5 is basically out injured, so if im Dennis id prefer to stay in Townsville.

Not sure which assistants/untired NBL coaches are upto it, the only one id look at is Matt Nielsen, as he has the profile and history with the kings, has assistant coaching experience with Spurs and Wildcats, being 2 top clubs in their respective leagues.

One way to bring in Nielsen is to have someone like Vickerman come in as his lead assistant.

I wouldnt go down the Rucker path, unless he has coaching experience elsewhere and id like to see him involved in NBL coaching somewhere first, he is a knowledgeable commentator and was a great player but not sure if thast makes him a great coach. If they go down this path he would also need a Vickerman type assistant

Reply #579555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neilsen it is. Joyce. No. Rucker. WTF! Untired NBL coaches is good too. Drugs kicking in eh

Reply #579568 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Nielsen built big house in Perth, kids at school, well settled. Garlepp's best place is Ilawarra or Brisbane, from his point of view. Sydney taboo for married guys with family unless born and bred. Expenses are horrific. Ellis had his brother, one reason why he signed. Couldn't have been a Perth DP on nothing.

Reply #579604 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The only non-HC experienced option I'd go with is Nielsen, but as bowtie suggests above, he could be well settled in Perth, but we've seen that before, and with Trev getting an extension and if the right approach was made, you never know... He would be a great drawcard and I still have hope, but otherwise, Vickerman and Dennis would be great options... Vickerman has the runs on the board and getting more as we speak, and Dennis is a proven no-nonsense coach who knows talent and how to get the most out of it...

With Vickerman being a Melbourne boy, and DD not getting his team a championship that was well paid for, I wonder if DV will slot straight into there?

Like any other coach, the ownership/management needs to get the hell out of their way, without question...

sigh... getting pity from Hawks fans? Kings fans have hit a new low... lol

Reply #579631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone says you need runs on the board but then are ok with Nielsen. He has no runs either.

Reply #579651 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Kings fanbois have a blind spot for anybody wearing purple thus Nielsen gets a free pass. It was the same with Heal until they decided he had to go.

Reply #579654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense.

Reply #579666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can stay in Perth. He's done a good job with Jawai.

Reply #579670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rucker certainly a good commentator, at what level has he coached ? Certainly no his crap when talking.

Reply #579686 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Don't think Rucker will tolerate the board's interference, at any level. He will also need money to spend. Will not suffer fools gladly....and there's quite a few to deal with.

Reply #579705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks bow tie, sounds like just what's required.

Reply #579707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be fooled into thinking because Ruckers can commentate he can coach. It is a far different arena with enormous pressure and expectation from players, owners, fans and sponsors.

Rucker is a great self promoter and if given the opportunity he would sell ice to the eskimos, hence the reason why he's on the foxtel commentry crew along with mates in the foxtel office.

But as far as a head coach, he would struggle to gain respect from the players not to mention he enjoy the after game night life.

Reply #579755 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@ D444444444 - Nielsen is the only one that gets a pass as he's been learning from the best organisations in the NBA (Spurs) and NBL... He's not the top of my list, I'd much rather experienced head coaches, 100%, but if they couldn't get them, then the next step down would be Matty, for a variety of reasons... If you can't get Vickerman or Dennis, what other options would be preferable?

Reply #579762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotter was experienced and despite what many people think he can coach. You can't be HC of the Kings no matter who it is if you aren't totally autonomous in your job.
Until the Kings management give that freedom to the new HC it will be cellar dwellers again.

Reply #579767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you want Nielsen. Jawai has regressed under him.

Reply #579888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard the 1st rumblings of DV to the Kings today.

Reply #579933 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not sure that Nate is the best measuring stick though... Came in out of shape, hasn't improved a hell of a lot, has he? Always been a bit casual with his attitude and he is one of the biggest sooks on the team (although he DOES get roughed up a lot that doesn't get called because he's so solid)

Heard the 1st rumblings of DV to the Kings today.

From your mouth to the Basketball Gods ears... Do they have to change over to fly to Perth for the Grand Final? Maybe Kings fans can accost him there, in a good way :)

Reply #579937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best decision ever was Perth signing Jawai.

Reply #579938 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, and Tom Jervis is awful.

Reply #579960 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think Kings had some good players, just really stuffed by injury. So if you can make the appropriate sacrifices to the injury Gods, things will look up.

Priorities:
1: Identify whoever said no to Lisch and ban them for life.
2: Get a decent coach.
3: Secure Childress.
4: Get Childress to find you a shit-hot SG.
5: Find somebody to backup Chil at the 3.

Coach-wise, I'm not sure who's lined up for Brissy, but I'd be talking to Lemanis.

Based on the current squad, I would be happy with something like this:

Brandt / Vandenberg
Garlepp / Hill
Childress / Prewster
Import SG / Faithfull
Cadee / Carter

I have no idea who is in or out of contract...

I think Vandenberg & Faithfull show promise, and would obviously benefit from full seasons, and some continuity.

Pointswise, I assume Tommy will get a loyalty discount, and hopefully Brandt & Cadee can retain their 6-point ratings.

Obviously I would move Thornton on. You can do so much better in an import.

Personally I would be looking to upgrade Prewster, depending on cash and points, especially since Chil ha sthe habit of getting injured and leaving a massive hole at the 3. I'd consider bringing journeyman Brad Hill back if he's still mates with Garlepp. You'd hope there's be someone better out there, but good uncontracted local players don't grow on trees.

Reply #579969 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Coach-wise, I'm not sure who's lined up for Brissy, but I'd be talking to Lemanis.
Lemanis has signed to coach Brisbane. I don't understand how you don't know that, given the first half of that sentence.

Based on the current squad, I would be happy with something like this:

Brandt / Vandenberg
Garlepp / Hill
Childress / Prewster
Import SG / Faithfull
Cadee / Carter
That roster includes literally zero point guards.

Reply #579975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That side runs last again, Vandenburg is only big development player at best. Prewster and Faithful get into foul trouble to easy.
The Kings got to sort out coach first and quickly if possible.

Reply #579986 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Wow... so much wrong in that post...

If you look at the third line of the original post, it says: "Jules, Jeromie and Gus are all signed for next year..."

So no PGs and you don't have our top big man in Khazzouh in your line up? Are you one of those people in real life that just talks and talks and talks and doesn't care what they're actually saying?

Reply #579987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth deserve you Dazz.

Reply #579990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam grugan is a former Bankstown boy who has been assistant to Shaun Dennis at Townsville last few years . Might he be a chance at the Kings job.

Reply #580037 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously Lemanis would be highly sought after, hence why I mentioned Brissy, as they would have already been out chasing a coach. If indeed he has already signed there, well that's good for them isn't it. Sydney will need to look elsewhere.
Does anyone know what Vickerman is doing? He appears to have continued the good work at the Breakers.

Ok, let me restate that: I know that 3 players are contracted, one of whom suffered a serious injury, other than that I have no idea who is contracted for the other 7 or 8 positions.

As I said "Based on the existing squad."
What is the point in suggesting a squad including Damian Martin, Matt Knight, or various other speculatives? Yes, there are better players in the NBL than what you've got, if they want to move to Sydney, grab them, but there's no point suggesting a dream team that isn't going to happen.

As it happens, my original post was going to read:
Khaza / Brandt / Vandenberg. LOL
Yes he's a damn fine player, and if he's fit then obviously he plays, but Brandt is good value also.
Yes JV is a rookie, but sometimes that's all you can fit on the bench. If you go 45~50 points for your starting five, that only leaves you 20~25 for your bench. You can't stack it with 8 pointers like Brandt.

I DID overlook the possibility of the "3rd import" speculation. If that happens, and you have the cash, then there are new possibilities.
Assuming not, where should you use your 2nd import slot? Naturally, that's a big question.
Historically, NBL teams have tended to chase high-scoring PG's, and many teams still do.
That leads into the next question, of who runs your point?
Ok, I know there are some Cadee haters amongst Sydney fans, and pity help the fool who suggests you keep him at Point. Personally I like him, and think he'll continue to improve, but that's only my opinion. You could chase an import PG, and Cadee could probably hold his spot as an SG, but he's a bit small. Again, just my opinion.
Carter is a reasonable backup PG. He's not flash, but he's experienced. If he moves on in his quest to play for every NBL team, it's not a big loss. A couple of options that might be available from the Cats are either experience in Kenny, or a rookie in Wroe.

As I said, of the players I listed, the first player I'd be looking to move on is Prewster. I only listed him because he's an incumbent. I think getting yourself a decent 3 for the bench (or even a stretch-4) is important. I actually think that somebody like Hire would be a good fit, but it comes down to availability, points, and cash.

That side runs last again, Vandenburg is only big development player at best. Prewster and Faithful get into foul trouble to easy.
Yes, Faithful is a rookie and as raw as an egg, but players have to develop somewhere, and as mentioned you only have 20~25 points to spend on your bench. Hence the choice is between inexperience, has-beens, or crabs.
I believe that with a few tweaks, a decent coach, some good fortune injurywise, and some continuity, Sydney can be competitive. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater every year, and trying to buy in a championship team, doesn't work. Especially if you don't have huge buckets of cash.

Reply #580093 | Report this post

Tl;dr

Reply #580097 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Isn't Vickerman going to be Lemanis's assistant coach in Brisbane?

Reply #580102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many, many players for the Kings have always had the potential. Few have ever developed to that next level. Vandenburg plays seabl and is just passable. If he was any good he would be in the NBL already, not a fill in.
NO local players on the horizon and in what ever configuration the Kings turn into, there will be few true locals.
No the Kings don't need yet another Bankstown boy.

Reply #580107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cj Bruton is Brisbane assistant coach I beleive.

Reply #580108 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

sigh... kids today, ey?

Obviously Lemanis would be highly sought after, hence why I mentioned Brissy, as they would have already been out chasing a coach. If indeed he has already signed there, well that's good for them isn't it. Sydney will need to look elsewhere.

Yes, they've been out chasing a coach, 4 months ago, back in October, when they "indeed signed" him... and CJ Bruton as his assistant...

Ok, let me restate that: I know that 3 players are contracted

As I said "Based on the existing squad."
What is the point in suggesting a squad including Damian Martin, Matt Knight, or various other speculatives? ... but there's no point suggesting a dream team that isn't going to happen.

The point? That's the WHOLE POINT... The point is to improve the team, you look at who could be available, and you go "this person would make my team better"! You sort of did that with Hire, but you chose pretty much one of the only players on that team that there would be ZERO chance of leaving that side of the country... But good effort... I have to ask you though what the point is of just rehashing the same old team and suggesting that it would be good to use them again and not "throw the baby out with the bath water" just for the sake of keeping some continuity? No...

Look at the points and look at what they've been contracted for for the season just past:

Markovic [8] / Cadee [6]
Thornton [10] / Carter [5]
Childress [10] / Prewster [?]
Garlepp [7] / Hill [3]
Khazzouh [8] / Brandt [3]
Total = 60 + Prewster

So that's a lot of wiggle room moving forward... Jules, Brandt & Hill will retain the same points values as on multi-year deals... Cadee might go up to 7, Garlepp was an 8 this season but was on a multi-year deal, so it's important to get the imports right for 16/17...

With players like Damo and Knight still on 10pts for other teams, if missing out on Damo, it could be worth re-investigating Jesse Sanders as a third import, he could also be less than 10pts since he's played here before. Forget Cadee as a starting PG and suggesting Wroe and Kenny? Jesus... The Kings faltered without a proper experienced PG with Markovic out for most of the season (even with him, some will say), so NOT going with an experienced floor leader is a huge mistake. I'd hate to have to go with three import starters, I think that's a dodgy look for a local league, but Sanders could be an exception...

NO local players on the horizon and in what ever configuration the Kings turn into, there will be few true locals.

Jules and Brandt are both locals, hopefully we can keep Cadee, so a third local, what other teams overload their roster with locals other than NZ? Besides that, if Garlepp moves on, Dan Trist has been doing ok overseas, maybe he could be an option?

Kings need defensive strength and more scoring options if a star player goes out (again) as part of the faltering was that when Chill went out, we had a dud second import in Thornton who couldn't hit the side of a barn with a tractor...

Whether we get Chill back or not, the Kings still need to get another high power player to help carry the load...

Reply #580125 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Khazzouh 8? (should be a 9, as under the rules he would be rated based on Europe, not Lebanon?)
Garlepp, if out of contract, should come in around a 8/9, and personally I think he's well worth keeping.
Chill (or another import) is 10.
SG or PG import = 10
Cadee (If you keep him) should come in around an 8. Or a similar player, or a 3rd import @ 10.
So your starting 5 comes in at around 44~48 (which is not atypical) leaving 22~26.

Fortunately Brandt & Hill are contracted, and should both still be 3's.
Going the 3rd import (or an ex-European gun on a 1yr deal as a starter) might be a good strategy for next season, as I'd expect these two to increase significantly.
So say 16~20 to fill your remaining 3 bench spots. That's not bad for bench players, just depends on who's available, and what you want/need.

As mentioned, I'd move Prewster on, and make a backup 3 your next bench priority. I only suggested a Hire type, somebody who plays good D, can grab some boards, can be offensive when he's hot, and would cost the earth. As to who's actually available, well that's the big question isn't it.

Obviously securing your PG is a priority appointment. I rate Cadee, and think he has further potential. But that's a personal opinion, and furthermore another season or 2 as backup to import PG wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't pin any hopes on Markovic.
So an import PG, leaves you looking for either a 3rd import or a local SG. Cadee scores well enough... I don't know how well McCarron is doing in Spain, but if he's heading home Brisbane will be all over him.
Backing up your PG? Well if you can move Cadee (back) to the bench, that's sorted.

One of the issues you will face is that Brissy will be out there chasing any local talent that's not nailed down. They've got a head-start, and if they have already signed Lemanis, then they're ahead again.

Reply #580138 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Khazzouh 8? (should be a 9, as under the rules he would be rated based on Europe, not Lebanon?)
Why would he be based on somewhere he's never played, instead of somewhere he has played?

Reply #580139 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Exactly... The rules state I think that the higher rated place that a player has played gives the higher rating (ie. NBA[10] over Europe[9]) but Jules was rated as an 8 coming in to this season, so I left it at that...

It's hard to pin down exactly the biggest spots to fill and I think it all comes down to whether Chill comes back, which might not be known for some time... If he was to guarantee that he'd be back unless he gets an NBA gig, I'd take him at his word and hope he doesn't get injured playing in the off season (if he does) and build around that.

I agree that faith should be shown in Cadee to grow his PG skills, but he's still developing and shouldn't have the pressure to run the entire team AND to score... As some others have said elsewhere, if he's paired with someone like a Lisch or a Clarke, then I'd be ok with him starting, but the strength of the team will be if he comes off the bench most games...

Coach first and foremost with management stating in contract, no mucking with THE COACHES team...

If Chill is locked in, definitely PG... If Damo stays in Perth, or goes closer to home at Illawarra (who knows what sort of budget they will have after pushing the limits this season), they need to chase Rotnei, do whatever it takes... He carried an entire Hawks team on his back when he was here, but need to appeal to him culture-wise just as much as anything else...

There's not many local options for an experienced PG... Markovic won't play another game in the NBL, he wasn't even at the last Kings home game with the rest of the team, so there's obviously been a break with the team and his personal issues have been more widely known now...

So that leaves an import... If we can get Clarke (or someone REALLY screws the pooch with Lisch in Illawarra) then we could go local for another starting guard spot or even promote Cadee full time, especially if we can get someone like McCarron (who seems to be doing quite well in Spain) as the third guard, thent eh 4th could even be Indy Faithfull if we get desperate... I know McCarron is a Brissy boy, but as stated elsewhere, I doubt Lemanis will be able to use his National Coach creds for much longer, even though playing in front of family could be a drawcard, he shares an agent with Jules, so we have both a good and bad foot in the door as the agent would know the Kings rep pretty well, but if that changes, could be key... The trouble with Mitch would be what would he be rated? Returning from Europe (to get him back from Spain would be a challenge in itself, even though I'm a huge fan of Sydney, I think Spain might just be a LITTLE bit nicer?) but he's by no means a 9pt player, so hopefully could get reviewed?

Back up to Chill (if we get him) I think could still be Prewster IF he's rated cheaply AND we can get a super 2nd import as well, then the pressure would be off and he could focus on D and hitting the open shots, which he got better as as the season went on... Otherwise might need to chase someone like Steindl? Not the best defender, but a much better shooter...

Bigs are tricky... I'd prefer to ditch Hill, as nice a guy as he is, and maybe try to chase Nick Kay hard, especially if Matty Knight is comfy in Perth... I know we have Gus, but Nick just seems like that tough big guy who just puts his body on the line and is a solid scorer...

Dream Team:
Damo [10] / Cadee [7?]
Clarke* [10] / McCarron [7?]
Childress* [10] / Prewster [?]
Knight [10] / Hill [3]
Total = 68 + Prewster

Hmm... Swapping Garlepp back in for Knight gives us maybe 2 more points, but that's not much...

Ok, so realistically, no Damo... promote Cadee, and...

Cadee [7?] / Faithful [1?]
Clarke* [10] / McCarron [7?]
Childress* [10] / Prewster [?]
Knight [10] / Hill [3]
Total = 59 + Prewster

So that leaves easily 5-6 for Prewster and a few more points if we can't re-rate Mitch down or Cadee goes up a stupid amount... That's three very solid guards, McCarron can spend time at the 3 if needed like Madgen did, and that's three very good bigs that can cover each other and Chill can stretch to 4 for the smaller more athletic teams...

Oh, and pray/sacrifice to the Basketball/Injury gods constantly... there's probably more than a few virgins on here that we could chuck on a pyre somewhere...

Reply #580162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the word after the last home game is chill wants to stay, depending on nba and the Kings getting there house in order.
Until the coach is in place it's a bit hard to guess who will stay unless contracted already. Cadee improved a heap but another point guard import should be sort.

Reply #580165 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah, everything all comes down to the coach... Just a shame the best option is still playing Finals...

Hopefully while Chill spoke up in positivity about Joe as a coach, he spoke up more about the management and ownership getting this shit in order or he won't be back as not much else would put a fire under them I don't think...

Unless the import PG is a known, top level quantity, it would be good to try to fill as many spots as possible with top local talent, if available...

Reply #580171 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Points system wise, the Kings should snap up the dreadlocked kid Moller. He'd be worth 1pt I think? And even though he's 6'9" he plays as a 3-4 man.

Watch a few Sutherland Sharks Waratah games this season!!! The dude even plays a fair bit of point in the local div1 games at Sutho.

Home grown talent, tall, fit, has handles, unselfish, is a beast on the boards & can dunk! : )

I'd also like to see Weeks & White back, and if whoever the coach is plays them in similar roles to Bevo, then that's giving you some depth & most importantly guys that put in 100% every game!

Perhaps most importantly, need a dominant PG (like all the posts above) to run the team. Caddee had some really promising signs this year, but I think he plays (& creates) much better on the wings & off the on balls out wide.

Oh, and yeah..... Need to give the HEAD coach control of the team!

Reply #580230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Kings are trying to keep Moller under raps, though a mate told me that bevo was talking to him after the last Kings,hawks game. I would think he would be a nil points and as Harvey said through one of the commentaries it's nice to get one back.

Reply #580233 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with Moller, Air Delay (as it IS good to get one back, especially if he's a Hobbit!), but then you lost me with White... He had his chance and it didn't work out... He's doing passable in Wollongong because he's surrounded by nearly every other player on the court being a shooter... He might have found a fresh start at the Hawks, but he was never any good as a King and I think if he is any part of the 10 man roster, that will be a step back...

Reply #580270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's amazing though that white, Ellis and weeks have played there parts very well under good coaching and man management.

Reply #580287 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ellis and Weeks always had that push to be better though, and with their limited minutes, I thought did really well... I agree that having a proper coach and game plan really helps (queue the pro-Cotter camp with their "but Cotter is a really good coach!" malarkey) but White always got more than his fair share of minutes, just never did anything with them... Couldn't hit the side of a barn, and had one season of good defence (I think got Kings DPOTY?), but then went back downhill again...

Reply #580302 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I've watched White in the Waratah League & reckon he's good value if given the right role.
If the Kings have 4 scorers/playmakers around him, white would be good for them.

But it will all boil down to getting the right coach & letting the coach coach! It seem liked the head coach this season didn't or wasn't getting to run the subs? Anyone else notice that?

Reply #580404 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

But in saying that Wookie, you make a pretty good point & I like White being a Hawkie & don't want him to leave : )

Wouldn't mind seeing Moller in the red & White too!
Knew he was training with the Hawkies too before picking up the rookie contract with the Kings.

Won't be surprised if Bevo makes at play at him for next season... Especially with the rookie points allocation to him.

Reply #580405 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The PPR rules regrading some returning players are a bit silly, I guess that's why there's an appeals process. In theory DKD would be rated an 8 for playing in Brazil.
Kober, grab an atlas and lookup Poland ;-)
(Although I don't think 1 point either way is going to break the bank.)

I actually rate Garlepp. (That's not to say you wouldn't swap him if a better offer comes along.)
The problem with Knight is his minutes. He's still a 10 point player, and he's had a fantastic year in Perth but he's not a huge-minute player, and he has been injury prone in the past. With Jawai & Jervis, and 3 forwards on the bench, Perth have plenty of back-up. Plus loyalty means he's only an 8 for us.

1 question worth discussing is whether JK could move to the 4 (as Knight has done)? Allowing you to start both him and Brandt against some line-ups...

I know McRae supposedly had his issues at MU, but somebody like him in the 2 spot (assuming he's gets no more NBA chances and gets tired of the D-League.)
Or somebody like Wilbekin at point.

A healthy Chil is the best player in the NBL, but if Ennis were available and not headed back to Perth he would be a fantastic option. (Or if Perth take Ennis, that would free up Prather...)

Reply #580608 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kober, grab an atlas and lookup Poland ;-)
Why? He last played in Lebanon. Pretty sure that's not in Poland.

Reply #580609 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I've watched White in the Waratah League & reckon he's good value if given the right role.
If the Kings have 4 scorers/playmakers around him, white would be good for them.

Yeah, but Luke Cooper and Graeme Dann all played well in Waratah... That's a considerable step down from even SEABL...

The problem with Knight is his minutes. He's still a 10 point player, and he's had a fantastic year in Perth but he's not a huge-minute player

That's actually a really good point, but with Gus and Jules on board, those minutes could still be managed in a similar way, I'd imagine...

It's going to be an eventful off-season, hopefully for the the best... Hanging out for a new (awesome) coaching announcement first though...

Reply #580892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graham Dann had a very good Nbl career, there used to be a end of season games between Waratah winners and runners up against the Victorian winners and runners up, ten, fifteen years back and the Waratah guys did very well. It's probably not as consistently strong as seabl but there will be some good teams and coaches.
Waratah games start this weekend.

Reply #580915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz, McRae currently has a 10-day with Cleveland. Had 8 points in today's game.

Reply #580923 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ok, so apparently, according to Foxsports writer...

The @SydneyKings' announcement of a new head coach is less than a week away. I'm told it's a 'done deal', and a contract is being finalised

From the conversations I've had, it's more than likely going to be a legitimate (potentially long-term) coach

So it will be really interesting to see who it is...

No doubt JvG has been pretty active in the FA market like every other team, so at least the coach is locked in and they can start working to build the coaches team...

Reply #583776 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Marty Clarke?

Reply #583778 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

hahahaha...

Don't even joke about that...

Reply #583784 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So from the Torrey Craig thread...

Torrey Craig to the Kings, heard they are very interested only cause i know who the coach will be.

Wouldn't be a Taipans assistant coach who used to be the Hawks longtime head coach by any chance?

Couple of points there... Torrey Craig as a potential import... Gordie as a potential coach and branching off that, if true, the pondering of whether Gordie is still in contact with Rotnei Clarke...

There's no doubting that Torrey was underused at Cairns and when he was left off the chain, performed really well... He's not a direct replacement for Chill, but if Chill DOESN'T come back, and we can grab at least one top shelf import first, then I think he could be a pretty solid addition...

And Gordie, no doubting his coaching skills, I just thought he got a bit set in his ways near the end of his time at the Hawks, but considering the crap that was going on, I'd be grumpy too... Would he bring an exciting brand of basketball to Sydney? I'm not sure... Would I rather him than Joe or another OS unknown? Yes... If we can't get Goorj, which is most likely not the case, then he's better than the other coaches we've had since the return, so if he's happy with JvG and how he's going to run the team and JvG is happy with him, then I will be ok to let better basketball minds make the calls...

Plus... It COULD improve our chances of bringing Rotnei Clarke back to the NBL and THAT would be worth it x10

Reply #583905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Funny that it should be mentioned... There was a post on Hoops recently that made me think of Marty Clarke or Mark Radford as Kings coach.

Reply #583909 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Way to spoil my (forced) day off, Isaac :(

Reply #583911 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754