Dazz
Years ago

Does NBL Fans MVP cheapen real MVP award?

Seriously, who thought this would be a good idea?

Did they make Lisch share his glass of Champagne with Randle too?

If you're trying to build the MVP up to be a prestigious award, why cheapen it by immediately pointing out "hey the fans don't agree."

Seriously, an award based on randoms clicking on the internet is about as low as it gets.

What's next? A "cutest bum" award?

Or how about, after a team wins the championship, we let "fans" vote on who they think should have won?
It could be called the "youse woz robbed" award.

Topic #39023 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL won't read this thread, they're too busy counting all the money Australia Post paid them to have the award.

Reply #578635 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Settle down Dazz. Im fine with them having this award.

I don't think it cheapens the MVP award. MVP is voted on by coaches (credible judges) compared with the fan vote which includes some people with zero clue.

I guess you'd be one of those complaining every year about the NBA All Star starters.

Reply #578636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just needs to be renamed the 'NBL fans choice award" or something

Reply #578645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm liking this hard hitting Dazz. Keep it up!

Reply #578646 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Dazz just exploding! You have the cutest bum I'm sure! It's a marketing pitch, Australia Post sponsored thing that ironically you vote for via the same internet that's putting them out of business with people emailing and all.

Reply #578648 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Slow your roll Dazz...even the AFL has numerous MVP awards outside of the Brownlow - it's a common theme these days and is a way for the fans to get involved and voice their opinion(s).

Reply #578662 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clubs often have MVP awards and then fans' MVP awards. Or Player's Player, etc.

Reply #578674 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't think it cheapens it but the name of fans MVP is silly and 'Australia Post fans favourite player award' sounds much better to me.

I think your issue is with the term MVP and if it is then I somewhat agree

Reply #578790 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I dislike the renaming of this thread. It's removed the sponsor name, and the fact that Dazz used it in the first place is an excellent example of the sponsorship working and exactly why the award is a good thing for all involved.

Reply #578816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of leagues around the world have a Player's MVP in addition to regular MVP. Fan's MVP is fine.

Reply #578833 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not that I'm suggesting we must follow the AFL, but they certainly don't have other awards competing with the Brownlow.
Yes, ever media outlet and their dog has their own award, not the same thing. And they're certainly not announced on Brownlow night.
Personally, I don't put huge stock in these awards.
BUT, its the NBL who are trying to turn their MVP night into a prestigious event.
Then they cheapen it with this crap.

It's like comparing the Emmys to the "TV Week Logies."

It's bad enough that they have the award, but the method of voting is absurd.

Reply #579011 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not that I'm suggesting we must follow the AFL, but they certainly don't have other awards competing with the Brownlow.
Yeah, they don't have an MVP award voted on by the players or anything like that.

Reply #579013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754