Isaac
Years ago

Bayless and SAS: Ben Simmons 'definitely overrated'

Obviously both of these guys are routinely criticised for their chatter, but worth a read anyway:

Skip Bayless: "If we're talking about the next LeBron James, the next 'it’ player in the NBA? Yeah, he’s definitely overrated. Because I keep watching and waiting and watching and waiting, and this young man — who seems like a fine young man — just befuddles me more and more. I don’t see the motor, I don’t see the intensity, I don’t see the passion, I don’t see the killer will, I don’t see the takeover intangibles. I keep waiting for Ben Simmons to be Ben Simmons — and he just isn’t it.

“Here I am and I’m criticising this poor (19-year-old) freshman. He’s a freshman in college. But I hear so much. He is the consensus number one pick in the draft. He is the next ‘guy’ in the NBA. And I say ‘well wait a second!’. I read John Gasaway’s report yesterday on ESPN.com in which he ranked 50 college players’ impact in March. He ranked 50 of them. Now this is the consensus number one pick. And Ben Simmons on his list was 33rd in his projected impact in March. 33rd! And this is the next LeBron James? And his capsule said ‘He is the consensus number one NBA pick and it would be tremendous theatre to see him on this stage in March’. As if there’s doubt about it. Well ... there is doubt.
Full quotes at AdelaideNow

Bayless questions his ability to dominate and while "definitely overrated" is a harsh quote to pull, the rest of his comments seem like a fair question when teams are looking to lock in an $xm choice.

SAS reserves from criticism for the coach not pushing Simmons or giving him more opportunities to show his stuff.

Topic #39026 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

From what I have seen of Simmons I don't necessarily disagree with Bayless's comments - I think he is pretty accurate actually.

Reply #578740 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Simmons made an interesting choice to go to LSU to be honest. He chose it because of the assistant coach and family and all that, but geez, they're a weak team (less weak now that some guys have returned from injury).

Simmons is forced to do everything, so he's not learning structure or skills it's just "give Simmons the ball and hope he can do something that will win the game for us".

He doesn't really have that uber aggressive MJ/Kobe killer instinct, he's a bit timid, but that doesn't mean he can't be a destroyer. He just needs to look at Tim Duncan as a role model. To be fair, he does make a few aggressive moves every now and then, he just needs to be more demanding and endeavor to take the game over more than he does. There's no doubt this kid has some serious talent and in the right team with the right mindset, he can be an absolute destroyer.

Reply #578741 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with the comments, but don't know if it's because he's still young or trying to avoid injury or it's his natural attitude or what.
If only he would take more outside shots! He's shown that he can hit the mid-range jumpers.

Reply #578751 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It looks like a pretty fair assessment to me too. He couldn't have really been rated more highly by many people early in this college season, and the results LSU have put up wouldn't be helping anything.

As KET said, he's not learning much either. He can make it look so easy against some opposition at college level, and then hasn't been able to really take over when his team has needed him to.

He's clearly still an amazing prospect, so no need to be too critical either.

Reply #578754 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

His skill, athleticism and general ability is IMO NOT overrated. He is skilled, athletic and has serious ability in all the major aspects of the sport.

I do however agree with Bayless' references to his lack of killer instinct and motor. But i don't think it's because of a lack of passion.

But yes, he does go into periods of extreme passiveness, almost happy to be a passenger and pass the ball around the perimeter.

Again, how much you want to read into this is up to you. It could be something as simple as a lack of fitness (have to remember he is literally doing sometimes 5 guys jobs..some sequences he does just about everything).

Reply #578767 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

Agree 100 per cent with those two. I watched the Alabama game yesterday and jesus... passing up wide open layups at critical junctures of the game. And it's not like the guys he passed to were in any better attacking positions.

I make a habit of watching LSU games but I'm getting more and more discouraged by the crap he's dishing up

Reply #578769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a jumper and hits a few 3's and it'll change everything for him!

Otherwise he might top out at a Lamar oden type guy!

It's looking more likely the Ingram will go number 1 as he really is starting to play better and can shoot it which fits so well in the modern NBA

Reply #578777 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

These guys are like many media people, so subjective, who sit back and try to make themselves more important by being critical of others.

The guy is 19 and has shown the potential to do what very few college players have done this season and his statistics are among the best in NCAA history.

He is unselfish and yes, he is in a team that isn't the strongest so he is isolated at times and some times even looks a little like LeBron James the way he winds up from outside the key, then penetrates to the rack.

He is very much still learning the game and his personality is one that suggests he is more a relaxed and naturally gifted talent, rather than the rah rah and insanely intense type.

So, Ben is Ben, get off his case and watch him as his career blossoms, I am willing to bet it will be a ride worth taking...

Reply #578791 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Watching his game it is clear to see that he is supremely talented, but he never seems to get out of first or second gear. He was surely be a very good NBA player, but I have the same questions whether he will be a player you can build a franchise around.

Reply #578793 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just want to add this, I would also love to see him take some more long and medium length shots.

I agree with this in the article and am sure his coach encourages it, but for whatever reason it isn't apparently on the radar as much as we would like, yet!

Reply #578810 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Interesting point on his jump shot. It's hard to tell where it's at with developing his jumper as he rarely goes to it.

It may come from being a pass first player..I've only seen a few of his games but to me he looks to create/involve others through passing on the perimeter a lot, probably giving up jump shots to do so. He looks like he expects sometimes to receive the ball a bit more when he gets in position on the inside , doesn't always happen in this team.

Reply #578822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is too passive but that might be his personality.

Reply #578840 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that he is overrated.
To me that's much more a statement about the people rating him than it is about Simmons though.
I'd love nothing more than the overrated tag to catch on so that he drops down the draft list. I wouldn't wish the pressure associated with being touted as "the next LeBron" on anyone.

Reply #578858 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

One thing worth noting is that the LSU guards cannot throw an entry pass to save their lives. Ben's good post position goes to waste two out of every three post-ups. Being able to generally move the ball around the perimeter would help free up Simmons too, but they just suck at it. All their heavy-minute guards are scorers/shooters only.

Reply #578864 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

I think Ben Simmons will be about as good as Bobby Simmons honestly.

Reply #578901 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think the media hype will affect Simmons too much to be honest. It doesn't appear to bother him at all and he isn't stuffing up or fumbling or choking or struggling, he is playing highly impressively just without the kind of killer instinct and impetus which people are demanding of the 19 year old. This supports the point above of it's more about people putting these crazy expectations on him oppose to him not being great. Will he be a franchise altering superstar? Probably/likely. Will he be the next LeBron or Durant? Maybe not quite.

Reply #578909 | Report this post

If Ben Simmons is the next LBJ then Brandon Ingram is the next KD!

Ingram is a better all-round player than Simmons - in every facet of the game - and deserves to be the No.1 draft pick.

If you have any doubts about that then I suggest you watch the recent Duke vs. Virginia game from last weekend!

Once Ingram bulks up - forget about it!!!

Reply #578914 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754