Dazz
Years ago

Damian Martin - 200 Games

Tonight was Martin's 200th game for the Wildcats.
If I'm counting right, he is only the 10th player to achieve that milestone, and he did it in style tonight.

I'm not 100% clear on his contract status. He originally would have had a 1yr player option available, but supposedly he signed a new contract this season (to take advantage of his lowered points.)

Either way, and despite people claiming he would leave to follow Bevo, it is hard to see Martin leaving the Cats. He's 31, and probably has a couple of good years left, and I reckon he'll want to serve them out in Perth.
The Perth fans adore Martin, he got another standing ovation tonight. That's a hard thing to replace. 300 games is not beyond him, and there's plenty of space at Perth Arena to hang his number.

Topic #39034 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would he leave? He is the face and the Capitan of a team that is the best resourced club in the league and just might be head to their 4th GF series in the 6 years he has been at the club. This tradition and record is probably going to continue next season and beyond.

I cant see him leaving Perth.

Reply #579016 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

He is a true champion.

Was nice to see his 3 point shot working for him last night.

Reply #579026 | Report this post

Melbourne Tiger  
Years ago

Yes I loathe Perth, but think Martin is a champion player and seems to be a champion bloke.

Reply #579029 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will go down as a legend, there hasn't been a player quite like him before. Darnell Mee had some similar defensive skills but went about it in a very different way.

Hard to see him leaving, he's like a king in Perth, has great mates on the team and they're successful year in, year out.

Reply #579037 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Martin is an absolute champion, hope he never leaves the Wildcats.

Reply #579039 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Martin is a champion.

The only likeable guy that the Wildcats have.

He's just one of those rare guys that everybody loves- incredibly competitive on the court and seems to be a top bloke off it.

Reply #579049 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It just does feel so wrong that he plays for Perth, though.

Here's this all round nice guy, who even his opponents both respect deeply and clearly like- you can see it on court.

But here he is with a thug like Wagstaff, wankers like Gleeson and Redhage, Jawai the big cry baby, etc.

Martin should really follow Bevo- it'd make more sense of the entire universe. He doesn't fit at the Cats- even though he's been there forever.

Reply #579050 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Calm down LV. The Perth guys are really nice blokes, even if they're easy for oppo fans to dislike for the way they play.

Reply #579056 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Gleeson is legitimately a wanker- I've explained why in the other thread. Using obscenities so loud that everyone in the venue could hear it, and during a meaningless pre season game was totally unnecessary. That's just one example I personally witnessed- typical when you watch his sideline antics. It didn't surprise me at all that Tragardh and Dillon asked for early exits from their contracts because they hated playing for him so much.

I'm sure those other guys might be nice when you meet them, I suppose it's a case of not liking guys who play for the opposing team. I hated Wortho until he became a Tiger- then I liked him.

Wagstaff is seriously a thug, though.

Anyway back to the point- Damo is a champ. Like Gaze, I've developed a "significant man crush".

Reply #579059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol a tigers fan calling other teams wankers. The tigers had a few cheapshot artists. remember greere or ehatever his name was? howabout the mentally ill ray Gordon?

Reply #579060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, do you think Martin would hang around if all the Perth players were the wankers you say they are?
If you call Wagstaff a thug, then you could label another 30 NBL players with that tag.
Suggest you grow some man things and stop playing in the women's social comp.

Reply #579070 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

FYI I do play socially, including against ex NBL guys.

One man's thug is another man's never-say-die favourite tough player.

If Wagstaff and Redhage run into Mika Vukona again, we'll see who's tougher!

I'll admit that Kickert could definitely learn a lesson or two from all of those guys.

Reply #579072 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I get why some people dislike Wagstaff, but he is no thug.

Reply #579087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you hate someone who makes his own boardgames :P

Reply #579412 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Damo has really stepped it up for the finals.
In the regular season he averaged 4.9 points, 33% 3p shooting, 3 assists, and 1.8 steals.
In the finals: 7.7 points, 55%, 5.7 assists, and 2.7 steals.

Great player.

Reply #580724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754