Dazz
Years ago

Player Points System - 16/17

I'm not sure when these are actually published. Supposed to be within 2 weeks of the end of the season, but who knows.
I can already predict some problems.
I just recently read an old article on this, it made some very good points regarding restraint of trade.

As far as I know, the NBL has never officially detailed the system used to derive the player points. Allegedly it is based on a combination of a statistical formula similar to Tendex, and ratings from all the senior coaches.

The problem with Tendex, and anything similar, is that it works on a "per minute" basis. That has the potential to really screw up the results.
Lets say you have two players with a similar Tendex rating. One averages 30 minutes a game over 28 games, the other averaged 5 minutes and only played a couple of games. If you rely solely on the statistical formula, then both get the same rating.

Not only does this have the tendency to overate bench players, but it's also unfair to injured players and their replacements. Nobody doubts that a fit Childress is one of the best players in the league, yet many think he should not be re-signed because of his injury record. Should a guy who managed only 18 games last season and only 13 this season, be rated a 10?
It's particularly bad for local players, because then the replacement mostly comes from the bench. So a guy who played only half the season gets rated a 10 because he was good when he played, and yet the bench players who stepped up to replace him also get over-rated.

When you look at some of the points allocated last year, they just make no sense.
At the top of the scale, it is ridiculous that there are local players who can't get a game elsewhere rated at 10, whilst players coming back from Europe are only 9. Ogilvy was rated a 9, and Luke Nevill an 8.

I appreciate that to some extent the points are a prediction. For example, Jervis receiving 8 points (even though averaging only 15 minutes) is saying that he's good enough for a starting spot. But, is that really fair? Judging a player on what he MIGHT achieve?

On of the issues the article highlighted was just how this was negatively impacting player's careers.
Is used the example of Teys who apparently (according to the article) had a player option. After a breakout rookie year, he could have negotiated a better deal (either with Adelaide or elsewhere) but was compelled to exercise his option because his existing 1 point rating made him more valuable. Somebody like Nevill is another example. Teams looking for a backup centre for their bench, especially those lacking a genuine 7-footer might have been interested, but not at 8 points. Even Jervis. Most of us would agree that he's PROBABLY good enough to get a starting gig elsewhere, but at 8 points will teams take the risk?
The article postulates that this is in fact restraint of trade, which is in fact illegal in Australia.

Topic #39041 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Points system is terrible and needs to go...

Reply #579173 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Always hated it. A system designed for parity just inhibits the league improving to its full potential. It has too many inconsistencies so creates unfairness anyway. Hope they scrap it from next season!

Reply #579291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz I can assure you that if a player who plays less minutes and performs well isn't penalised by that. The system isn't literal for every players PC, that's where the human intervention and sense comes in.

Reply #579315 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The points system is good. How they determine the value of the points is flawed.

Reply #579324 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Thought you might be interested in some of my points calculations. I use a limited tendex, and a bit of a thumb-suck, to get numbers close to the NBL.
(This is not my opinion of who is best, its my estimate of the NBL.)
Andrew Ogilvy - 12
Casey Prather - 10
Cedric Jackson - 10
Charles Jackson - 10
Chris Goulding - 9/10
Corey Webster - 10
Damian Martin - 8
Daniel Johnson - 10
Hakim Warrick - 9
Jason Cadee - 8
Jermaine Beal - 9
Jerome Randle - 11
Jordair Jett - 9
Josh Childress - 12
Julian Khazzouh - 11
Kevin Lisch - 11
Kirk Penney - 10
Mark Worthington - 8
Matt Knight - 10
Mika Vukona - 8
Nate Jawai - 9
Omar Sanham - 10
Oscar Forman - 6
Rhys Martin - 7/8
Stephen Holt - 9
Tai Wesley - 9
Tom Abercrombie - 9
Todd Blanchfield - 7/8
Tom Garlepp - 8/9
Torrey Craig - 9

(Obviously number above 10 are for interest only.)

I'll be interested to see what Childress ends up with. He should imho get a discount for his injuries, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Reply #579584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a discount for injuries? In the time he played apparently he was a 12. If he plays a full season every chance he would still be a 12 or more.
The point of tendex system is to show what a player plays per minute. Childress has shown he can play to that level consistently and should remain a 10 point player.

Reply #579600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My package has limited room to move in spandex.

Reply #579650 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

My biggest problem with the points system is that it rewards the rich teams who break the salary cap. It makes it very easy for them to keep guys on their roster at a reduced loyalty points value while still paying them more than they could get on the open market from most other NBL sides, where they would also cost them an increased arbitrary 'points' value.

I would rather either solely have a strict salary cap with a 'Marquee player' provision, something that is hard to enforce and probably not realistic, or just stop pretending and go to a Euro model where the rich can spend what they like, with more controls in place to try and stop teams shooting themselves in the foot by trying to get in an arms race with Perth and NZ.

Reply #580638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the loyalty bonus system was re introduced is beyond me.
The salary cap enforcement has never been able to be done. Nothing will change there.
A simple points system with no discounts is the way to go.

Reply #580641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754