What is Liz Cambage's problem??

The muck up with the team camp or whatever it was last year was bad enough .. but does anyone follow her childish, diva'ish stuff on twitter ?

saw one recently that even had Lauren Jackson laughing at her and now this ...

@ecambage
People wonder why I have issues with some @BasketballAus teammates, I've been dealing with these behavior since we were kids
1:26 PM - 21 Feb 2016

Topic #39043 | Report this topic

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Did you miss the tweet before of a teammate dressed up in blackface? Think she has every right to be pissed off.

Reply #579356 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, it's pretty obvious what Cambage's problem is, and in this case she has a fair point.

Reply #579357 | Report this post

the fact she runs to twitter to air this sort of thing says plenty about her imo... and why I wouldn't want her anywhere near my Opals squad.

Reply #579359 | Report this post

You seek out that teammate and you talk about it / berate them in private.. You don't re-tweet it with a "this is why I'm a f*ckwhit sometimes, feel sorry for me" message attached.

Reply #579360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The teammate realised the mistake and apologised pretty quickly.

Reply #579361 | Report this post

inb4 Cambage lawsuit

Reply #579362 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"The teammate realised the mistake and apologised pretty quickly."

Good result then.

Reply #579363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't blame Liz one bit. It is 2016, there is no excuse for blackface.

Reply #579368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To add: Alice Kunek's "apology" was quite a weak attempt at a non-apology.

Reply #579380 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Liz Cambage is Liz Camabage's problem

Reply #579381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh such a non-issue. Political correctness going overboard. But it's okay for black actors to dress up and star in that "Black Chicks" movie or whatever it was called.

Reply #579386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oops obviously meant "White Chicks" movie

Reply #579387 | Report this post

yeah Kunek's apology was telling - "to my followers" of which I presume Cambage isn't one... It's no secret many of them supported Basketball Australia's decision to omit Cambage from the last Opals squad.

Sure Kunek's getup was boneheaded to say the least but imo diva Liz has just pounced on this to leverage sentiment / support for reinstatement to the Opals scene.

If she truly cared about the Opals she'd have dealt with it like a true teammate and kept it private. Believe me, the media will be all over this, questioning the morale in the whole Opals setup.

Reply #579395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what they do - use anything that can be labelled as "racist" as leverage to get attention/sympathy. Disgusting and despicable.

Reply #579396 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Who are "they" exactly?

Reply #579402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's what they do - use anything that can be labelled as "racist" as leverage to get attention/sympathy. Disgusting and despicable."

Wow. Just... wow.

Reply #579404 | Report this post

@ Luuc, sorry I didn't make that clear - the 'they' I'm referring to is / was her Opals teammates at the time. They supported her omission

Reply #579406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. Vents on Twitter for media to pick it up instead of keeping it internal. A classic example.

Reply #579407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Believe me, the media will be all over this, questioning the morale in the whole Opals setup."

If someone has been dealing with racist behaviour from their teammates since childhood, I think that is something that should be questioned in the media and BA should address.

Reply #579411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #579411 wow just wow. facepalm

Reply #579414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh my god white people are so evil and cruel rah rah rah rah rah

Reply #579418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was Briggs the indigenous rapper picking up the photo that has blew this up.

I'm not black so I don't know how offensive black face is.

I know I don't get offended when geisha's put on white face although I probably just sounded very white by saying that.

Alice does seem like a lovely girl.

There does seem to be a push to find things to get outraged about on social media.

Reply #579420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

situation: don't like teammates
answer: find something mildly offensive which you know in this PC world of ours will blowup
revenge: via media once they pick up on it

Me thinks Alice Kunek is the victim in all of this.

Reply #579424 | Report this post

"Me thinks"

I doubt that very much.

Reply #579431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that's funny coming from your PC-infused haze of thought.

Reply #579437 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Clearly the answer is to ban fancy dress parties forever.

Reply #579440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if you were being facetious or not but I agree dress up parties in general should be banned. There is too much risk in them with dressups of Indians, black faces etc. There is no place for them anymore.

Reply #579525 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The 'but black people can wear white face and it's ok' crowd never cease to amaze me. Yeah, sorry, it's not the same thing. I'm not black either, but I don't have to have been to have read a couple of history books and to understand the difference between the two.

Reply #579536 | Report this post

I'm far from politically correct, anon. I just know and understand how and why some things are racist.

Reply #579538 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Everyone is so easy to offend these days. We all know the history of black face in America - when minstrels used to mock blacks wearing polish and paint, and often white actors would play black roles because blacks weren't considered up to the job. However, what that has to do in an Australian context to an Indigenous/Torres Strait woman, I am really unsure.

How much offence can you really feel about face painting? Is the offence even 'real' or do they just act offended because they know they have a right to feel offended by it? A tablespoon of 'harden the f*&ck up' wouldn't hurt too much.

Mocking white people is fine. No one gets all too offended. But don't mock someone who is black. In fact, do not in any way, shape, or form, pretend to be black or society will crush you under its toes.

It is ridiculous, truly.

As for Cambage, she has proven time and time again to not be of sound mind. I am not sure who, in her position, would publicly berate a team-mate while trying to smooth things over with the Opals. If she was interested in really having a harmonious relationship with the team, she would have handled the issue privately.

We have had her drop out of an Opals game for a music festival, drop out of a season of the WNBA for mental issues, and now this. I think the Opals will be just fine without her, frankly. She can peddle her victim complex somewhere else. I don't think it will have any effect on the end result for the Opals later this year.

Reply #579542 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

See my post. It's not the same thing because unfortunately the world didn't begin when you were born. Everything happens in the context of the larger world.

Reply #579543 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Attention and sympathy come to mind.
LJ should have taken her under her wing.

Reply #579545 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I take it Mexican day of the dead costumes aren't racist.

Reply #579551 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The only thing I will say on this subject is that Cambage should never have gone to social media to voice her frustration. All this does is potentially drive a bigger wedge between her and members of the Opals team.

Reply #579552 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"However, what that has to do in an Australian context to an Indigenous/Torres Strait woman, I am really unsure."

http://m.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/opals-forward-alice-kunek-apologises-after-angering-liz-cambage-with-blackface-post-20160221-gmzlg5.html

"Cambage, whose father is Nigerian,"

Reply #579553 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This racism thing does my head in. So just so I can get this down; if I want to go to a costume party dressed as 2pac or Samuel L Jackson(Mace Windu in Star Wars), I shouldn't paint my face black/brown to look like them ?

Reply #579558 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yes. Congratulations, you've got it. Is it that hard to understand?

If so, try read through this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

And then brush up on your pre 1980s world history.

Reply #579560 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The world needs to lighten up.

Reply #579561 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Alas, most of the world aren't as privileged as us.

Reply #579562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kunek needed to lighten up too.

Reply #579564 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Give yourself a ball Isaac!

Reply #579565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol @ the owner of this website.

Ball worthy

Reply #579567 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

white people really should be the arbiters of what is/isn't racist........ *sigh* given the history of black facing and how offensive people find it, can we just agree that black facing is something that poor, hard done by white people can just go without? I mean i know there is a lack of white people for us to dress up as, but we'll just have to push on thru.

The fact that people black facing has been called out OVER and OVER again, but yet high profile people still keep doing it..... well that's just fucking dumb. 1 incident of someone doing something 'racist' doesn't make someone a racist, it does brings into question a person's intelligence...

I mean HOW MANY GOD DAMN TIMES does this have to happen till people learn.

And you know what, if you want to dress up like Kanye all you need is a giant pulsating penis suit.

Reply #579570 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Between Alice Kunek and Rob Thomas it's been an interesting day for race relations in Melbourne.

Reply #579572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop trying to compare white people not being offended with white face as if we all share the same history. Respect the culture even if you don't understand it. unless you know what being black in this world entails don't even try to justify what is and isn't offensive To them. How about she show up at a party as Catholic priest with your team mate dressed like an alter boy and see if that offends anyone. and yes the two are the same, a group of people oppressed, taken advatage of and rights violated. The reason black face is offensive is because it was the mascot for the Jim Crow laws.. Look it up and then continue with your ignorant comments.

Reply #579575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the symbol of oppression for millions of African Americans

Reply #579576 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Very well said whitepodge

Reply #579577 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I struggle with all this and it's not because I'm not intelligent or dumb, I've just never been educated about the terms " black facing " or the origins of the term "monkey". If I was to ever paint my face black/brown it certainly would not have any disrespect attached to it and I certainly don't have a racist bone in my body. I doubt Kunek meant any disrespect by her costume and Cambridge should of dealt with this outside the public.

Reply #579580 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perhaps one of the best videos for "reverse racism". This came out late 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMpPgMGCe8

Reply #579583 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I can't help but think it is turning mountains out of mole hills. If the girl isn't racist and isn't doing it for racist purposes, why should Cambage care what colour she puts on her face? I don't care about history. If you're that easily offended, you need to work on yourself first.

Reply #579586 | Report this post

wayne  
Years ago

People associate 'black face' IMMEDIATELY with the person being racist.

You're all so quick to judge her on that, how about ask her (Kunek) what she was dressing up as, in this case Kayne West.

There was nothing derogatory or offensive in the way she was trying to portray herself, simply a dress party and dressing up as one of her idols it would seem.

Now, if she had of been deliberately portraying herself as something derogatory or offensive, then by all means bring out your pitchforks.

But this racism holy crusade has two sides.

Reply #579587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe anyone is calling her or has called her a racist. Just dumb for doing it

Reply #579588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about you all go live in thecUDA , yes the African descendants were treated terribly fir far too long, but believe me the reverse racism is certainly being followed in modern times.

Cambage seems to forget her mother is white, she has a foot in both camps, and as for kunek, it was a fancy dress costume for goodness sake, it was not a picture of Cambage , this is Taki g PC too far, if you want to you could find offe se in every dam fancy dress costume.

Reply #579590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your a public figure .. Don't do it..and No she didn't offend everyone just a few. That's all it takes.. Her mistake was posting it..kinda like a text message, you can't read tone.

Reply #579592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am black and an American. I also know AK. I was not offended by this. But it was not smart to post it on social media.

Reply #579593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kanye west as an idol? Lol...
Definitely something wrong with that!

Reply #579595 | Report this post

"How about you all go live in thecUDA , yes the African descendants were treated terribly fir far too long, but believe me the reverse racism is certainly being followed in modern times."

Congratulations. You just lost this thread.

Reply #579602 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"How about you all go live in thecUDA , yes the African descendants were treated terribly fir far too long, but believe me the reverse racism is certainly being followed in modern times."

Yep, your done.

Reply #579608 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Blackface does have an Australian history too, it's not just an American thing as I once thought too. So there's right to be outraged at this, but at the same time it's being blown up as something a bit more than it is. It's a bit hypocritical though to call out Alice and not the other girl for appropriating the hell out of the Mexican day of the dead. If Liz wanted to be back on the team, she's not doing any favours by calling her teammates out in public and forcing a view of them as being now racist.

Reply #579618 | Report this post

And on tonight's episode of "When Nutella Facials Go Wrong".

Reply #579620 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Seriously this is an over reaction. The young girl in question was attending a fancy dress party, and wanted to go as her favorite celebrity, nothing more to this than that.It was no political statement, or racist in any terms.

Bigger concern is that she likes Kayne West, that should be considered more offensive.

Reply #579622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought black face was like what the minstrels and the guys on Hey Hey its Saturday did, black shoe polish.

she darkened her skin to dress up.
i thought this was ok, its impersonation, which I thought was a form of flattery.

should all fake tans be banned as well?

look at how dark those body builders tan themselves.

Reply #579625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt kunek even has a chance of making the team. Gotta be 3 girls ahead of her in the Sg and sf positions.

Reply #579626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There at least 10 players better than Nat Burton in her spot but she will probably still make it so who knows with Joyce.

Reply #579628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage is always looking for an excuse or a way out!!

This is a USA based issue and was never a major historic issue in Australia hence some people Just don't know it's an issue in Australia!

Reply #579635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it racist to call her a whinging pommy?

Reply #579637 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

sweet baby Jesus Christ, put all your logical fallacies in the bin.

Blackface is offensive whether you think it is or not, whether you like the cinematic masterpiece that is White Chicks or not, whether you find costumes inaccurate because they fail to convey the correct skin tone.....

It doesn't matter how many straw man you build, how many false equivalencies you illustrate, or how much ignorance you pleed.

BLACKFACE IS OFFENSIVE. It's well established that people find it offensive.

For fucks sake, how many Harry Connick Jnr's need to abuse a Daryl Summers before it begins to sink thru???

You don't have to like Cambridge to realise Kunek is in the wrong. You don't have to hate Kunek to realise she was wrong. You can still like someone and see that what they did was wrong. This action doesn't make Kunek a bad person, but the fact she's a good person doesn't make the action any less offensive to people who find black face INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE. Humans are fallible, we shouldn't execute Kunek she obviously just needs to be educated, and we sure as fuck shouldn't be executing Cambridge for calling it out!

And you know what, if costume party accuracy means that much and you MUST blackface it up; than FOR THE LOVE OF THOR'S MIGHTY TESTICLES DON'T PUT PICTURES OF IT ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

Reply #579659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bravo Reply #579542 bravo

"This is a USA based issue and was never a major historic issue in Australia hence some people Just don't know it's an issue in Australia!"

EXACTLY.

When did all blacks = African American.

Liz dad is Nigerian, nothing to do with USA.

So sad you lot from the PC brigade, you've been indoctrined well.

Reply #579679 | Report this post

Rob  
Years ago

By that logic, should it be ok for Australians to dress up as KKK members and burn crosses?

Reply #579688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, because dressing up as KKK is pretty obvious.

Dressing up as Kanye West for a party, which means you have to put a bit of tan on, isn't.

Reply #579689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By paying homage to a black artist, Kayne West, Alice is now a racist. Way to reverse the intent, PC world.

Reply #579690 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

black face IS an australian issue.... once again ignorance reigns supreme....

Reply #579691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage half Nigerian not indigenous.

Someone please look into the history books of Nigeria to find something in there for us not to do.

Reply #579692 | Report this post

"No, because dressing up as KKK is pretty obvious.

Dressing up as Kanye West for a party, which means you have to put a bit of tan on, isn't."

Ah, so your definition of racism is if its "obvious"? Thats a new one.

Reply #579693 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

black face IS an australian issue.... once again ignorance reigns supreme....

Even if there was such a divide between American racial issues and Australian, why dont you go for a run down the street shouting out n***** at the top of your lungs? I mean it's an american word.... it shouldn't offend anyone.....

p.s. not being a dickhead isn't being PC, it's just not being a dickhead.

Reply #579694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She wanted to look like Kanye so she did so.

Dressing up for a dress up party = racist.

Reply #579696 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

anon #579696 you miss the point at an olympic quality level...

Reply #579702 | Report this post

We had this same conversation two weeks ago about the word "monkey."

If you are unaware of something being offensive due to just not knowing, it doesn't mean that thing has suddenly become offensive. It means you didn't know.

If you continue to do/say that same offensive thing, or look for things to compare it to in order to prove it isn't offensive, thats when you become ignorant.

Reply #579704 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"black face IS an australian issue.... once again ignorance reigns supreme....

Even if there was such a divide between American racial issues and Australian, why dont you go for a run down the street shouting out n***** at the top of your lungs? I mean it's an american word.... it shouldn't offend anyone.....

p.s. not being a dickhead isn't being PC, it's just not being a dickhead."

Fabulous! That's almost a Hitchslap!

Reply #579723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3FzVQi-R8

Never Go Full Retard and get an Oscar nomination just like Sgt Lincoln Osiris.

Reply #579746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"She wanted to look like Kanye so she did so."

You think it's not possible to dress up like someone without mimicking their skintone? Because at an end of season drunk fest it is so important to go for full accuracy. Or are you saying the only thing noticeable about Kanye is his skin colour? Black face IS an Australian issue. There IS a history of it in Australia. The ignorance is astounding.

Reply #579752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just cause people are white doesn't make them racist!

Remember the movie White Chicks?! Cmon we have moved passed all this and things need to be taken for what they are rather than the always outraged PC group of nuff nuffs that Twitter hijack every little issue!

Reply #579763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You say white chicks I say tropic thunder (Robert Downey) and soul man.

Reply #579769 | Report this post

"Just cause people are white doesn't make them racist!"

"Cmon we have moved passed all this "

Comments like the first one just show how much we haven't moved passed this.

Reply #579771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek went to a dress party trying to look like a black celebrity. Nothing more nothing less.
Bottomline is you can NOT blame someone for not knowing what blackface means to you.
We are NOT suppose to know every cultural sensitivity in such a multicultural society. Do you know every jesture every word that offend Italians ? Vietnamese ? Sudanese ? And don't give the BS that your sensitivity is more important.

Reply #579776 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

using movies to justify reality..... come on...... Soul Man and Tropic Thunder used it as a very specific plot devise to highlight specific issues, they weren't a commentary on how black face should be normalised.... and you'll remember that even back in 1986 Soul Man got a fair share of criticism about it...

Has anyone quoting White Chicks actually seen the movie?? I mean it's horrible, but the 'white face' is a parody of all the black face movies etc..

Now if you'll excuse me i'm going to go throw a fat german kid in a chocolate river... and have him fished out by midgets.... because Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.....

Reply #579777 | Report this post

Thats fine, if you are unaware of something, no one can blame you for not knowing.

The issue has become why people, now armed with the information that it is offensive, are defending their right to do it and dismissing as not being an issue. To use your words, that is putting your sensitivity and "rights" to do as you please ahead of those that have asked you not to. That is true ignorance.

Reply #579778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Life would be a lot less complicated if all the blacks removed their blackface.

Reply #579812 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

My view:
If somebody wants to dress up as their favourite artist, good luck to them.
What is telling is that she thought the major component of this was painting her skin dark.
Here's the thing, you should be able to "dress up" as your favourite black person, without changing skin-tone. ie racial features should be irrelevant.

Reply #579829 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I dunno ... take away the black face from that outfit and I would have assumed she was trying to be Bieber

Reply #579831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I dunno ... take away the black face from that outfit and I would have assumed she was trying to be Bieber"

I dunno Luc ... could you even tell she was Kanye even after she said dressing up in blackface was her way of offering him support? I couldn't. Not only was she offensive, she put together a shite outfit.

Reply #579835 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

hahaha pay that.

Reply #579838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The opals program on the way down while the boomers program on the way up...

A lot of problems and bitchiness it seems in the opals squad over the last few years.
It'll Be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years(or after rio) when Phillips, Mitchell, Taylor, snell, ohea, hodges, Jackson, batkovic all retire and the younger girls step into the spotlight.

Personally, I think the girls currently aged 21 and under (the future) will be a much better group than those aged 22 and up (the next opals). I see us losing our spot as world number 2 and dropping back to 4-5 behind USA, Spain, Canada, Russia or france(maybe).

Reply #579847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon when you say the problems and bitchiness in the last few years you really mean Liz skipping out training for a festival. Sure will be problems when you put yourself over the team like that.

Reply #579864 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At the end of the latest Age article:

"Moore also revealed that BA was attempting to resolve issues Cambage has with the sport's national governing body over her axing from the squad last year"

Hard to believe she still hasn't let that one go.

Reply #579875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always see the argument that it's racist because of the historical context, but the historical context is that it was used in another country (USA) to ridicule a different set of races (Africans) using a very specific pattern of makeup and set of mannerisms, which are never used now.

So it should not be offensive to indigenous Australians as a general practice, but only if it is calculated to ridicule them.

The reason you can't just say "let people of colour decide what's racist" is that it assumes that all people of colour have the same opinion and feel the same way, which is itself stereotyping, and also that anyone who does feel offended by something can never be wrong to feel that way.

I wouldn't don blackface to a party because I don't need the grief, but on principle people should be free to do/wear what they like and if the worst thing that happens to you today is that you see a picture of a stranger in the wrong costume on social media, you probably aren't as underpriveleged as you think you are.

Reply #579900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

indigenous Australians = any black non-African American

Reply #579902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ typo - should be "any non black African-American" not indigenous

Reply #579904 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

what's got 2 thumbs and still misses the point after 80+ posts = anon #579900...............

Reply #579912 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Hard to believe she still hasn't let that one go."

Is it really?

Reply #579913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think #900 makes a reasoned argument, whether you agree with it or not. They haven't missed the point, they have a different viewpoint to you whitepodge.

Reply #579915 | Report this post

""Hard to believe she still hasn't let that one go."

Is it really?"

I'm not sure if I am answering this question the way you wanted but if she still doesn't get why she was dumped from the team then she never will, which is the problem.

Reply #579916 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was pretty bitter at the time. Even if you don't agree with the reasoning in a dispute like that, at some point you just have to respect the fact others looked at it differently and move on.

Reply #579919 | Report this post

Yeah, isn't that what we're all saying? She needs to move on.

Reply #579920 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's pretty much what I'm saying, yes.

That was > 6 months ago now.
So I'm wondering what outcome she is hoping to achieve by still (apparently) pursuing this issue with BA. She's not going to be reinstated to the team that competed 6 months ago. Brendan Joyce already said quite clearly that what happened with her back then will have no bearing on her selection chances for Rio. So what is her end game?

Reply #579922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been a few years since the WNBA draft but she still comes across as such a child.

Reply #579928 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Paul, they've missed the point because they skill can't see why it's racist. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just so happens theirs is racist.... and had they bothered to read the other posts in the thread, they're argument has been brutally repudiated already.

Reply #579935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the biggest victims here is the English language.

Reply #579939 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

hahaha i'm typing one handed while I apply my whiteface...... sorry...

Reply #579941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

body builders always bronze up for competitions, really some as brown as that twitter pic.

should they all be labelled racists?

Reply #579957 | Report this post

Oh ffs!

Reply #579959 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

...... sweet baby fucking jesus.... we've hit peak stupidity....

Reply #579962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, they've missed the point because they skill can't see why it's racist."

I think you should re-read the third paragraph of their comment, it's particularly pertinent. This isn't as simple as you would like it to be.

Reply #579967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hard to believe she still hasn't let that one go."

We don't know what she's taking issue. She could be asking why that was something BA and teammates openly discussed in the media whilst they attempt to hush this up and sweep it under the rug.

Reply #579970 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Paul, oh i think it is that simple. Don't do blackflace, it's racist. It's that simple.

Reply #579989 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely one issue is that it's about sensitivity and awareness rather than someone being racist.

If you were unaware of the history and sensitivity of "blackface", and make Kunek's mistake, you're not necessarily racist. Your intent may have been to just dress up to look like someone. No harm intended. If you were aware and did it anyway, you're insensitive.

And though I don't like arguing this sort of issue from a position of majority, I do wonder if Cambage couldn't have given a fellow player the benefit of the doubt and contacted them privately with "Hey, here's a link to Wikipedia's blackface article in case you weren't aware." But if it's one of a string of incidents in her life, it's hard to judge someone boiling over.

That said, it read to me as though there was bad blood between the two players.

An argument could be made that the beat-up in the media raises awareness.

I have stronger misgivings about "cultural appropriation" along the lines of American Indian headwear or dressing as a geisha. Making a lot of the cultural "flavour" of the world off-limits seems like it could be a stretch.

Reply #579992 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reason it's not that simple is instances like Radike Samo and Tracey Davis where the people directly impacted endorsed it.

In the case of Davis, she reportedly took issue with it being described as blackface, differentiating between dressing up to look like a specific person and dressing up to caricature a race.

Your view on this is your view, which is fair enough, but your blanket viewpoint isn't shared by all others impacted by this issue.

Reply #579995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And though I don't like arguing this sort of issue from a position of majority, I do wonder if Cambage couldn't have given a fellow player the benefit of the doubt and contacted them privately with "Hey, here's a link to Wikipedia's blackface article in case you weren't aware."
--
I believe Briggs called attention to Kunek in social media before Cambage. Liz's involvement added in the inter-Opals dimension, but Brigg's has a big following so it was likely to make a splash either way.

Reply #579996 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Totally agree Issac. Someone can do something/say something that is 'racist' and not be a racist/meant it to be offensive. Obviously Kunek didn't mean it, she's a good human from all reports.
For me the problem is more to do with the people doubling down and defending it.
Could Cambridge have handled it on the downlow? Probably. But i can understand why she'd want to drag it into the light of day, especially given how visible the issue has been. Was she motivated by the fact there was bad blood between them? I dunno. At the end of the day though that fact doesn't alter the initial action.

The 'Cultural appropriation' issue annoys me as well. I think it's about context and appropriateness. I think there is a valid argument to be made about the appropriateness of certain activities, e.g. mascots wearing ceremonial headgear, teams being named Redskins etc etc.
I dislike Iggy, but the flack she has gotten from the 'cultural appropriation' brigade is ridiculous. The fact is, if you live in a multicultural society each culture appropriates things from each other, be it music, language, food, dress etc. It blurs the artificial lines that we build around our cultural niches and unites us - eventually. Claiming someone has 'appropriated your music' is rubbish. Music by its very nature has been appropriated since cavemen realised they could bang a bongo.

Reply #579998 | Report this post

It doesn't alter what Kunek did but bringing this issue to light doesn't alter what Cambage has done in the past either. To me it seems like she is trying to justify her input in to the bad blood by highlighting her team mates are racist, and that is pretty immature of her.

Reply #580000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon this will be a redux of 2010, unfortunately.

Reply #580001 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Paul, my blanket viewpoint is shared by a majority of people who have a fair higher melanin count than me........

It doesn't matter what is meant by the wearer of the blackface, it's what blackface symbolises. As an example I'd encourage you to run down the street screaming out 'N****!', some people won't care, some will just ignore it, but the ones that do find it offensive will not give a shit that you were just singing a Lil' John lyric out loud......

Reply #580002 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not talking about the intention of the wearer, I'm talking about the response of those being dressed up as. Their viewpoint is very important in any mature discussion about this, certainly more important than people who purport to speak on behalf of "people who have a fair higher melanin count" than them.

If Samo and Davis see a difference between dressing up and 'blackface' it would be good to hear from more people impacted, rather than those rushing tospeak for them.

Reply #580006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know who Briggs is or what they've said, but the same opportunity to educate rather than shame exists for anyone else.

Reply #580007 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

hard to education though Issac when people don't understand that there is a problem....

Reply #580009 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Paul, well as long as Samo is happy i guess the problem doesn't exist..... *sigh*

Reply #580011 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Another simplistic answer.

Are you saying Samo and Davis (and others who share their viewpoint) should have no say in this because it doesn't fit with your view? Or that Davis' view that dressing up as a specific person is different to blackface isn't worth consideration?

To me their views certainly hold value, as do the views of people affected by this who might see it differently to Samo and Davis. That's why a mature discussion would be good, one that didn't involve people becoming self-appointed representatives of those actually involved.

Reply #580013 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

I'm saying that 1 or 2 exceptions don't make the rule......

I don't right the rules on what offends people, I just listen to what the majority of affected people are saying. There was a time where i didn't find blackface offensive at all, but then i was educated as to why it was and the historical context of it...

Reply #580014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's the point though, we don't know whether they are exceptions or not because we haven't had that discussion as a community.

To illustrate that point, how many examples can you produce of someone who was dressed up as who then spoke publicly denouncing it?

It's an area where I think a lot of assumptions are being made, are there a clearly differing views, hence why I say it's not a topic that can be dichotomised as easily as it may first appear.

Reply #580019 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I find it interesting that we're getting so heated about blackface, yet most will happily enjoy rap music which really puts down women.

Ironic that Kunek wanted to be like her idol Kanye, whose videos and lyrics can be pretty brutal.

Reply #580020 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

There are differing views with everything Paul, just because a handful of people think the world is flat doesn't make the world flat....

Clearly there are different views, i just choose to follow the educated view and I can live with that.

Reply #580021 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess the overriding them of your last few posts is that you know better than Samo and Davis, and have no interest in finding out how man others who are affected by this who feel the same way. It strikes me as ignorant and arrogant.

There is no doubt general blackface is offensive and racist, but when it comes to dressing up as someone specific there obviously needs to be a greater discussion involving those who are actually involved, rather than others speaking on their behalf.

Reply #580022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie, apples and oranges. Not all rap puts down women. All blackface is a form of dehumanising performance meant to stereotype and perpetuate racism.

I looked through her Instagram and last year Kunek went as a Rastafarian for the Dandenong fancy dress. She resisted the urge to paint herself dark then, it seems odd she made the opposite decision a year later after blackface had even been in the media recently.

Reply #580023 | Report this post

I guess what paul is saying is that if I chose to dress up as podge for a fancy dress party by wearing a red wig, pale skin and I painted freckles all over my sun-tan lotion lathered body, then I'm possibly just "making fun" of podge only, and not suggesting that ALL gingers are soulless devil spawn.

Reply #580025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One reason we rush so quickly to the vulgar satisfactions of judgment, and love to revel in our righteous outrage, is that it spares us from the impotent pain of empathy, and the harder, messier work of understanding."
― Tim Kreider, We Learn Nothing

Reply #580026 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Supernintendo Chalmers haha is it wrong that i'm slightly aroused by the thought?

Reply #580032 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

"What dooms our best efforts to cultivate empathy and compassion is always, of course, other people."
― Tim Kreider, We Learn Nothing

Reply #580033 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Kunek went as a Rastafarian for the Dandenong fancy dress. She resisted the urge to paint herself dark then,

You don't have to be black to be rasta.

Reply #580034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am black and I was not offended. But what does offend me are people telling me what I can and can't be offended by as a black person. The reason this still offends people is because racism does still exist. And any outward showing of such hatred is usually shunned. Blackface and the confederate flag are a calling card for white supremacists as well as those who are truly racist in this day and age. So unless you know the person it's hard to know what's in their heart. if a black peron dressed in blackface trust me it would be just as offensive, probably more. I think it's ironic that I don't believe any black person who has commented on this situation has used the word racist or racism. Blackface is not racist. Blackface is insensitive, ignorant and not okay... One day dressing up as your favorite star to include the color of his/her skin will be more socially accepted in all communities. But for right now while racism still exists it's probably safe to say that a white man wearing a full Phila 76'ers uniform with Erving on the back and an Afro wig with a head band won't be mistaken for Justin bieber because he's not painted black so don't do it and for gods sake don't post it on social media. It's not about fair or unfair, liberties, rights, or freedoms, or even political correctness. It's about embracing our differences and respecting boundaries that cause or conjure up hurt in a race of people. So to my people.. The "N" word, Blackface, being called monkey and Kanye west are all offensive to us until further notice and can get you beat up, killed in some parts of the US or vilified in no seconds flat..

Reply #580066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some very insightful and intelligent responses of late in this thread.. except for whitepodge.

Reply #580072 | Report this post

"Blackface is insensitive, ignorant and not okay."

Precisely. And those trying to compare it to a bronzed body-builder are plain ignorant.

Reply #580073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Blackface is not racist. Blackface is insensitive, ignorant and not okay"

This!

Reply #580074 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

Anon #580072, you inspire me.

Reply #580075 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

"It's not about fair or unfair, liberties, rights, or freedoms, or even political correctness. It's about embracing our differences and respecting boundaries that cause or conjure up hurt in a race of people. "

Bingo.

Reply #580076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Blackface is not racist. Blackface is insensitive, ignorant and not okay"

but hold on whitepodge said it was racist and he's the new authority on black people.

Reply #580078 | Report this post

"Bingo."

This!

Reply #580079 | Report this post

"This!"

+1

Reply #580080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love how you guys deflect away from the "it's not racist" comment because you previously claimed it was racist. Insensitive, ignorant - yes, racist - no. Owned but deflect away if you must.

Reply #580081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Love how you guys deflect away from the "it's not racist" comment because you previously claimed it was racist. Insensitive, ignorant - yes, racist - no. Owned but deflect away if you must."

Bingo.

Reply #580082 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

yes... argument destroyed... blackface is ok because someone said it's not racist....I surrender, black face away anon.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2016/02/02/nation-somehow-still-needs-be-told-blackface-racist

Reply #580083 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

"Well if her teammate whose father is Nigerian thinks it's racist, then it is racist," Clarke replied. “Let the people of colour define what’s racist. Let them define what’s offensive to them. If it offended her, then so be it.”

http://junkee.com/buzzfeeds-allan-clarke-perfectly-shut-down-steve-price-on-the-project-over-blackface/73859

Reply #580085 | Report this post

#081, I may have erroneously called it racist in the beginning but haven't done since. Someone else gave a good explanation for the issue and I agree with that. Not deflecting anything.

What you seem to be doing though, even with your admission that it is insensitive and ignorant, is looking for reasons why its still ok to do it. What sort of selfish twisted logic allows you to come to that conclusion?

Considering you compared it to bronzed body-builders then I really don't think you are in a position to be questioning anyone's take on the matter.

Reply #580086 | Report this post

whitepodge  
Years ago

I still think it's racist, as do many others. At best it's insensitive and ignorant - but how is that any better? It's offensive regardless.

Are you that guy at the Reclaim Australia rallies that proudly declares 'Islam isn't a race so i'm not racist, i'm just a bigot'?

Reply #580088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I just point out that BA has already sided with Liz because they do view it as inappropriate. And it is ok for Liz to make a fuss over it because some people take great pride in their race and that is the beauty of being Australian. We come from so many backgrounds to create one culture and because of this we do have to tread a bit lighter than maybe other countries do, however, this I am willing to do because being a part of a multicultural Australia is awesome!
it has been blown out of proportion and it's been quite well publicised but honestly it's a smoke screen to deeper issues in the team IMO.
At any rate we should thank Liz for having the bravery to call out her team mate and move on to more important topics.

Reply #580094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do Australians keep wearing blackface? - BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35601105

Reply #580133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was NOT bravery, a simple phone call or text to AK would have been enough, if you knew AK you would know their was never anything remotely done to deliberately make fun of anyone. And LC knows this too, this was purely her way of making a dam fuss so that if BA don't take her she's got another inch for leverage,
The opals group are already annoyed at LC for her behaviour over the whole rock concert and this was here way of making sure she gets some one up a ship on them.

All she had to do was say, hey mate I'm a bit offended by that do you think you could take it down ..... And AK would have apologised and removed it ..... End of story
But no Big Lizzie has to plaster it all over social media

Look at it fir what it is not what it's being portrayed as

Reply #580145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it time for everyone, Liz and the other Opals, to stop with the Oceania team and musical festival grudges? Who is Skipper right now? She needs to sit everyone down and tell them to all get in line.

Reply #580149 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

It seems to me that it's the people who are now "defending" Alice Kunek who are making this worse. IMO we should give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't fully understand the significance of what she did (as surprising as that may be...).

Instead, there are stupid arguments being had about whether it's OK or not - a discussion which AK has had no part in. It's pretty embarrassing as an Australian when stuff like this happens, but it's worse when the ridiculous debate follows about whether we think things like this should be considered offensive or not.

Reply #580154 | Report this post

Its the same as the whole Goodes saga. People made it about booing and defended their right to boo someone, over not booing a guy who was being racially vilified by sections of the crowd.

Reply #580155 | Report this post

kingpodge  
Years ago

#AuthenticityInCostuming

Reply #580159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think people get a little confused as it's a racial issue that can be a racist act but can also (likely in this case) be unintentional. And though it might be ignorant, I think that rushing to label it as that makes a somewhat harsh judgement on what we expect an adult to know.

Reply #580177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Considering you compared it to bronzed body-builders then I really don't think you are in a position to be questioning anyone's take on the matter."

Bronzeed body builder was another anon.

Reply #580390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the Goodes reference I'm thinking Cambage may be angling for an Australian of the Year award.

Reply #580392 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"After the Goodes reference I'm thinking Cambage may be angling for an Australian of the Year"

Really sadning ignorance, not much recognition so far that Liz showed courage in speaking out against ths ignorance, ffs Goodes nearly quitt after the backlash from his stand against taunts that plagued his entire career, Liz has likely had the same & had enough. Well done Liz, don't put up with it so kids like mine won't have to endure such stupidity.

Reply #580442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't follow AFL but weren't the taunts because people don't like him as a player, nothing to do with race. But then he construed it as being racial?

Reply #580444 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Yes that's right the taunts he experienced from under 10s right through his afl career were all because people diddnt like him. Actually now that's its been mentioned, I'm glad his australian of the year award pissed those same people off so much.

Reply #580472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashion/aussie-model-ajak-deng-officially-done-with-the-fashion-industry/news-story/a5a5b7d87a4bbd9f85457621a63cfd16

it's ppl like the above who use race as an excuse which then makes you question others motives.

Reply #580473 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This might be politically incorrect of me to point out, but, notice how it's never white people resorting to playing the race card?
hmmmm....
#whingersthelotofthem #hardenup

Reply #580474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I'd love to play the race card considering my fashion career didn't get off the ground.

Reply #580475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I'd love to play the race card after my fashion career didn't get off the ground.

Reply #580476 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

'This might be politically incorrect of me to point out, but, notice how it's never white people resorting to playing the race card?
hmmmm....
#whingersthelotofthem #hardenup'

Idiotic

Reply #580480 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz Cambage interview from WWOS

https://www.9now.com.au/wide-world-of-sports/2016/clip-cilg46nmd00020ete10sbeu2k

Well articulated by her, IMO.

Reply #582119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754