Isaac
Years ago

BA statement on Alice Kunek photo

Following activity on social media yesterday regarding Melbourne Boomers player Alice Kunek, Basketball Australia sought advice from the club on the incident.

Basketball Australia CEO, Anthony Moore said, "Having received that advice today, we are satisfied that the Club has taken this matter seriously and moved swiftly to address this with their player.

Whilst poor judgement was exercised by Ms Kunek, we note and accept her sincere remorse."

With the support of Australian Basketballers Association, Basketball Australia will take a leadership position in the education of all basketballers around the country on racial and religious vilification.

“We are in a fortunate position of seeing a large number of our athletes throughout the year in national team camps and national championships.

“We will use these forums to educate our athletes on important topics like this,” Moore said.

Topic #39050 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

argh what a cringeworthy statement

Reply #579683 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Hell this whole thing is ridiculous. Even The Advertiser are all over it, blowing the whole thing up...

Reply #579684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cringeworthy how? I thought that was all it needed, they have blown this up because Cambridge has been getting vocal on Twitter.

Reply #579710 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Cabbage smabbage

Reply #579712 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who's Cambridge?

Reply #579716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

opportunity for BA to appear to be doing something

Reply #579725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and they think she is a Melbourne Boomers player ?

Reply #579727 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Does anyone *not* think she's a Melbourne Boomers player?

Reply #579728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to get things done BA...

slow clap

ImBeingSarcasticRightNow.gif

Reply #579743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony Moore on the Opals:
"No, it's not (a harmonious group) and we actually have a pre-arranged meeting today with Liz’s management," he said.
Doubtful BA's (lack of) statement will soothe things over with Liz.

Reply #579775 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Article written by Liz's manager:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/opals-race-row-should-not-be-swept-under-mat-says-liz-cambages-manager-20160222-gn0otm.html

Anthony Moore:

http://www.sen.com.au/news/02-16/ba-chief-baffled-by-cambage-manager-article#blGuphZwQRYIoS0y.97

Reply #579779 | Report this post

I've got to say, that with all the issues Cambage has had in the past being a good teammate herself, I think she could have handled this a lot better. The real issue is not just about her but she has made it that way.

Reply #579780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quick google search as I haven't heard of the guy managing other players.

Is this the same guy? http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/04/30/pill-peddlers-swisse-deploy-delta-ahead-of-clinically-proven-court-ruling/

Hard not to dry reach while reading the manager's article...

Alice seems to have gone from a player I didn't think had a chance of making the team, to likely playing in Rio...

Reply #579782 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's probably for another thread, but I wouldn't read too much into the constant references to Alice Kunek being an "Opal".

Yes she is in the squad and has made the team before (in times when a number of other players were unavailable) but I don't think she's done anything since then to enhance her chances. I'm not talking about this drama now, I mean strictly in a basketball sense.
After something of a breakout start to last season, she has been pretty disappointing this season despite being given the opportunity of a major role.

Probably foolish of me to assume that poor performance on the court would hamper the chances of a potential Opal though.

Reply #579783 | Report this post

She might have a better shot now that she's black.

Reply #579786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your saying this entire saga was an intricate ploy to hype the Soul Man reboot movie starting Alice Kunek in the lead role?

Liz Cambage is the executive producer.

Mind blown.

Reply #579789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek bring black now will certainly help selection in the squad....

Reply #579793 | Report this post

hahahhahahaa classic!

Reply #579794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good statement by BA...no harm no foul as they say.

This is typical liz looking for excuses and others to blame

Reply #579802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'not a harmonious group' almost makes it sound there are additional issues beyond the Cambage music festival and Kunek blackface.

Reply #579810 | Report this post

That and the fact that there was a pre-existing meeting between BA and Liz/her manager, and the content of her "wonder why I have problems" tweets would make it seem like she is central to other issues, and I think her making a deal out of this incident publicly is further distraction.

Reply #579813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blacklist Cambage from the Opals. She is a cancer.

Reply #579817 | Report this post

Thats the problem now. If she gets cut for deserving reasons, the race card will be played and it will cause more ruckus.

Reply #579820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's definitely her angle now - why else would she be nagging so much over it. Writing is on the wall so let's pull out the trump card. Despicable.

Reply #579822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If issue is only with one player there's an easy solution with steps they could have taken before this.

Reply #579824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's definitely her angle now - why else would she be nagging so much over it. Writing is on the wall so let's pull out the trump card. Despicable."

She's hardly nagging. Nor did she make Kunek dress in blackface and post it to social media (her Instagram was public at the time the pic was posted).

Reply #579825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But she did make it a hugely public play, exercabated unnecessarily further by her manager.

Reply #579828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally think a lot of the attention would have died down more quickly if not for Kunek's non-apologies, followed by BA passing over any weighty statement, and then the Boomer's non-apology.
I'm a bit confused as to why LJ got involved in the mess in one of the earliest articles. If she was going to tell people to lay off the comments aimed at Kunek, she would have been well served to tell people to lay off the racist comments hurled at Liz too.

Reply #579833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I loved every do-gooder criticising the wording of the apology and not the intent of it.

Reply #579836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Words convey intent in written statements. If they meant to say something they didn't write, they should have written it. Intent was clear. It was a PR apology.

Reply #579845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big issues internally as there were in past 10 years!

Certain players/player control everything and expect everyone else to fall inlibe, liz isn't perfect but she was told/expected to do certain things and when she bucked the trend BA & others weren't happy....also a few opals feel a little threaten by how good she is and her thunbing her nose at the existing playing route hasn't helped.

Both sides to blame as liz always whinging and certain players always making it tough on her to fit in the group as she is a threat to them.

Reply #579850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After Rio we she clear it out and hand team over to the 27 & unders as they be the next group to cone through.

Reply #579854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage and kunek are both still under 27 and are the future lol.

Reply #579855 | Report this post

"Certain players/player control everything and expect everyone else to fall inlibe, "

Yes that is how many successful sporting teams operate. They set standards and expect others to follow. I wouldn't call her choosing to not follow those standards "bucking the trend." She just put herself above the team...how many times now?

She is a brat.

Reply #579857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Big issues internally as there were in past 10 years!

Certain players/player control everything and expect everyone else to fall inline"

Care to elaborate.... who and what do they expect of her? Past 10 years, so at this point that's probably.... Jackson and Taylor?

Reply #579862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek won't be making the teM, but she'll be suing due to her exclusion on grounds of racial vilification!

Reply #579873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next crop probably looks something like this...

Lavey/Cole
Jarry/allen/ebzery
Talbot/Blicavs
Francis/penaluna/burton
Cambage/tolo

Kunek is probably next in line at Sg and sf.

Reply #579879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it possible Cambage becomes mad enough at BA over what she still perceives as an injustice for Oceania and now this that she doesn't suit up for Rio?

Reply #580008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754