Dazz
Years ago

Bevo vs Gleeson

Contrary to what some may think, I'm no big lover or hater of either. I don't know either personally, so I have nothing to judge them on but results.

I thought Bevo did a good job when he was here. It's a little hard to judge, there are those who would say that he underachieved with the squad he had, that's always the problem when you make GF's but don't win.

In previous seasons, when he was in town, Bevo would hold court in the Bar across from the Arena, telling all and sundry that the players were on the verge of revolt. I personally thought that was poor form, but that's about as far as my "personal" opinion goes.

I think Bevo has done a good job this year with the Hawks, I would have given him coach of the year, but from a very small field.

I'm the first one to question Gleeson strategies I don't understand, and some of his rotations leave me scratching my head. But again I come back to judging on results.
I don't understand why the Cats can dominate at home, and suck on the road, even against 3rd rate teams, but at the end of the day he took us to equal first.
For me though, with the squad he has, these finals are the big test. IF they make the GF, its HCA, and from there it SHOULD be a flag. Anything less is underachieving. So no, not impressed by the report that Gleeson has already been assured of another multi-year contract.

A coach has a number of duties; tactical, strategic, motivational. So far in this series, I am scoring it 2-0 to Bevo.

Topic #39056 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is basketball so you win a banner not a flag.

Gleeson is riding the system Bevo put in place so of course the latter would feel hard done by.

Reply #579808 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Interesting discussion point, and from my opinion it is near on impossible to compare coaches. The playing group, support staff, league, scenario of injuries etc are vastly different. Each coach would have their different approach in many areas that may or may not be successful at that point in time.

I think claiming that Gleeson is riding the system Bevo put in place is incorrect. 3 of the starting 5, and over half the team is different.

The offense and defense is similar in some areas but different in others.

With Martin, Knight, Wagstaff, Hire all coming to Wildcats during the Bevo era then there is some strength to the argument that Gleeson benefits from having this core group.

But if this is the core of the argument then every coaching change would be the same. Is Steve Kerr benefiting from the work Mark Jackson did? Does Ross Lyon have to thank the coaches before him (obviously Dockers haven't won GF but are much improved), and conversely can Byron Scott lay all the blame on the coaches before him.

Both Gleeson and Beveridge have had great success in their NBL careers and both will continue to have success. Bevo is more of a players coach while Gleeson is more of a 'boss'. Each method can be successful depending on the needs of the playing group.

One thing that everybody has to agree, both Bevo and Gleeson do a hell of a lot better in timeouts than Dean Demopoulos. Seriously, have you ever seen such a train wreck. I watched the telecast in Gm2 v Breakers and thought Demopoulos had fallen asleep mid timeout. You could see how uncomfortable his assistant coaches were when there was like a 20sec awkward silence...

Reply #579815 | Report this post

"Gleeson is riding the system Bevo put in place so of course the latter would feel hard done by."

And Gleeson got them over the line by recruiting players that Bevo would never have done.

Reply #579823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice crystal ball you have there.

Getting over the line? Both have won only one championship (the two seasons the NZ dynasty didn't make it).

Reply #579827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawais helped a lot eh

Reply #579859 | Report this post

"Getting over the line? Both have won only one championship (the two seasons the NZ dynasty didn't make it)."

Those two sentences are not remotely related to each other

"Nice crystal ball you have there."

Crystal balls are for predicting the future, not seeing in to the past. Thats what a time machine is for. Learn to science, idiot.

Reply #579861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So your crystal ball told you if Bevo never got fired he would have never signed players of the same calibre/or better than Gleeson has? Idiot.

Reply #579890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And Gleeson got them over the line by recruiting players that Bevo would never have done."

So you know exactly what would of happened in an alternate universe where Bevo was never fired? He doesn't sign the same or better quality as Gleeson? Okay oracle Chalmers. HAHAHAHA You really are something.

Reply #579892 | Report this post

So you all know that Gleeson, in an alternate universe without Bevo as his predecessor, wouldn't have achieved what he did achieve with the team he joined?

Reply #579903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you know that Gleeson, in an alternate universe without Bevo as his predecessor, would have achieved what he did achieve with the team he joined?

Reply #579907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty retarded if you think Gleeson didn't greatly benefit from the system Bevo left behind

He was ok with Crocs & Tigers until hitting gold.

Reply #579908 | Report this post

You stated he only achieved what he did due to inheriting Bevo's system. Its your claim to prove, not mine.

Reply #579910 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Everyone outside of Perth appears to like Bevo and loathe Gleeson.

Dunno how that would've differed when Bevo was in Perth and Gleeson at the Tigers.

Gleeson always makes a dick of himself during the game.

LOL @ the Demopolous observations above. Pretty accurate but I'd still give him another year. Timeout coaching probably isn't everything but his sure are bizarre.

Reply #579921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chalmers knows best.

Reply #579924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demopolous timeouts are bad but no one can top Westover's.

Reply #579925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ROFLcopter other/neutral fans never liked Gleeson when he was at the Crocs or Tigers either. It's his personality.

Reply #579926 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like Bevo but my memories of his days were having players like Cam Tovey and a team full of unathletic players (remember fans going bat shit crazy over Redhage dunk following Damo's dunk). Of course that was also an era that Lisch got molestered every single play and got no calls.

Then Tovey retired to become an accountant or something as equally boring as his game and we got the opportunity to get a second import and we have had Ennis, Daniels and Prather.... A lot more excitement.

I don't hate either but I think I cringe more over Trev's antics...

All in all, I was hoping that we would pick up Joey Wright or Shawn Dennis after Bevo... I think it's time for a new coach too.

On a different subject, Murray Arnold won coach of the year in 1991, won the championship and didn't return the next season and he is still the only coach of the year in the Wildcats history... Is that surprising and should Bevo or Trev got one of those with this team?

Reply #580136 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Murray Arnold coached in 92 as well.

Reply #580137 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Without being arrogant, Perth SHOULD win their 7th championship this season. They should win tomorrow night, and they should be able to win a home series against NZ.
That said, Gleeson has been out-coached in the two games so far, so I'm not holding my breath.
If we don't win, questions must be asked.

Reply #580243 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

My biggest gripe with Gleeson is his lack of "under pressure" plays for away games. So many times you see him give up when the Wildcats are down in the 4th. Rather than calling a time out or injecting bench players, he sits with his arms crossed, looking completely disinterested in salvaging the game.

Having said that, his play in the Round 7 CNS game to Prather for the inbound and layup (rather than the "just get it to Beal" adage) was good.

Reply #580244 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gleeson does seem to be a "stick to the plan, play the percentages" kind of guy. The Cats are good at managing their rotations throughout the game, but its frustrating when a hot player gets subbed because its his turn for a rest, or watching our bench get shredded whilst Gleeson does nothing to steady things.
I get it, you want the bench out there so that your starters aren't knackered by the 4th quarter. But they need to be at least close to holding their own. Sometime you can see that the opposition has deliberately extended their starters to build an advantage, and yet Gleeson doesn't respond.

And his time-outs are perplexing to say the least. When the game is on the line, he just yells and berates. He only seems to calm down and actually structure plays, etc, when a game is already over in the 4th.

And I have to say, going apoplectic because the Refs stopped the game when Lisch went down, did not endear Gleeson to anyone in Perth.
I liked that so many of the players went over to give him a pat as he was leaving, Gleeson should learn from their example.

Reply #580261 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Thank god for Gleeson out coached Bevo. Go wildcats

Reply #580569 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If Cats win this championship (and ok that's a big if)
Gleeson will do what no other Cats' coach has ever done.

Reply #580580 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It wasn't Bevo out there turning the ball over and not blocking out on missed FTs. Hawks players lost this game, I don't know what more Bevo could have done from the sideline.

Reply #580581 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Gleeson > Bevo :P tonight atleast

Reply #580583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson prevails. Granted he has the deepest tea in the league at his disposal, but over the 3 game series he made the better adjustments in the games.

Reply #580603 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hawks had the superior plan the first two games, but they were never a hope in G3 in Perth without a fit and firing Lisch.

Reply #580604 | Report this post

Ted  
Years ago

Maybe Bevo's family will finally stop thinking the Wildcats playing group is somehow 'his boys'. Sorry but that family is far too hungry for attention for my liking. Gleeson, on the other hand, carries about his business without rubbing up to the media and the only time I've seen his wife in the media was raising awareness for breast cancer.
I'm sick of all these silly comparisons between the 2 coaches. I think Perth fans on a whole would be very happy to have Gleeson and I'm sure Illawarra is happy with Bevo. Leave it at that.

Reply #580702 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No question that Gleeson had the boys back on track last night. Cats mastered the boards, dominated inside, and punished the Hawks on turnovers.

Reply #580714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance Bevo could return to Perth in an assistant coaching capacity?

I'm guessing he'd like to be closer to his family, but it seems Gleeson's job is secure.

Reply #580718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would expect that Mrs Gleeson wouldn't want to be anywhere near Perth.

Reply #580735 | Report this post

Ted  
Years ago

Why? They're settled here with kids in school and she has a good job.

Reply #580744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Wildcats will also investigate an abuse incident from a Wildcats supporter towards a group of Hawks supporters including members of Bevo's family."

Reply #580762 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"verbal attack". I'd like to know what was said. Could be the difference between a serious threat, and a storm in a teacup.

Reply #580819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's already been defended as nothing Dazz by the Perth people. You are yet another one. If the Cats are investigating that should mean something surely.

Reply #580822 | Report this post

Why don't we wait and see what the outcome of the investigation is before we conclude that either they were verbally abused for no reason, or that they are just having another whinge. There are two sides to every story.

Reply #580828 | Report this post

No, the investigation will reveal if it's just a whinge or not. Thats what investigations are for.

Reply #580832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The decision has already been made to investigate the complaint. Not to investigate whether an investigation is needed.
"towards a group of Hawks supporters including members of Bevo's family" GROUP, not an individual.
Allegedly it could have been you for example.
Nothing to see here? Bull.

Reply #580840 | Report this post

Oh dear.

Yes, an investigation will take place based on the complaint. That investigation will hopefully reveal if the group were unfairly and harshly abused, or if they were just whinging about whatever they could because they lost, or they might find that both sides were partly to blame. That's why I said let's wait until the investigation is complete before determining what happened because, you know, that's the entire point of it.

Allegedly you could be the dumbest person alive for example.

Reply #580842 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754