Anonymous
Years ago

Should Ben Simmons have gone to another college?

LSU getting beat by Arkansas today pretty much shuts the door closed on Ben making the NCAA tournament.(Have to pretty much win the SEC tourney to get in, which is a loaded conference)At the rate they're play now they're going to struggle to make the NIT tournament.
My question is should of Simmons have gone to one of the bigger program's?

Topic #39064 | Report this topic

ME  
Years ago

In a word: yes.

Picking a team that can't win is sure to knock his NBA prospects. Yeah, he will get drafted. But I am thinking it might not be the first spot anymore.

Reply #580040 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Yes he should have. LSU have a very average roster. It would have been beneficial to him in the 1990's as he would be the star straight away and get huge minutes as a freshman (when most players stayed in college at least 2 years).

However these days many players who know they will get drafted leave after 1. Simmons should have gone to one of the powerhouse schools such as a Kentucky or Duke. He would still be the go to guy there too and get better coaching.

It amazes me how David Robinson and Navy managed to do so well in the NCAA tournament with a bunch of Navy players. They beat Syracuse.

Reply #580042 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So, we are worried that instead of a first up NBA contract $15M he may only get $7M, really?

He went to LSU to get court time and exposure, that's what he got and all the family is happy watching him be the No.1, so how after one season being in the spotlight can we now say (in hindsight) that we think he should have gone elsewhere?

Is what it is guys, and it will be what it will be...

Reply #580043 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

He's still going 1 or 2 in the draft, his upside is so good. He still has aspects of his game to work on, and NBA teams will know this.

Not making the NCAA tourney in his one year in college isn't going to change his prospects too much.

Reply #580047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always a. Arch 22 for any good player going into the usa college system, especially internationals, though Simmons did finish High School in USA.
Do they pick the best ranking school that wants them,
But has a strong team so your minutes may not be what they want but the chances of making the NCAA are good and they get better coaching or do they go for a lower level one with a weaker roster where they star but are unlikely to make it all the way .

Don't think not making NCAA is going to effect him that much but, if he's struglling academically and doesn't finish college, what if his basketball career takes a huge injury and he can no longer play.... He needs an education, NBA will still be their in another 3 years.

Reply #580048 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Once he works out for the teams with the top 3 picks they won't care about his team not making March Madness.

They may be more concerned with his attitude in the game he came of the bench.
As that is getting noticed, http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Ben-Simmons-vs-Tennessee-Video-Breakdown-5377/

Don't think it drops him out of the top 2 but depending on the team and GM with the top pick it may mean he goes 2nd.
Brandon Ingram is having a great season and would be the clear top pick if Simmons wasn't already there.

Reply #580053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree...
Lsu is a good team on paper... They just don't gel well together.
Rarely do they feed Simmons in the post and that's partly due to the poor coaching of coach jones.

If you look at the starting lineup... 4 of them them will get a look in the next level.
6'10 sf/pf Simmons- number 1 currently on the draft boards.
6'6 pg quarterman- on the draft boards
6'4 sg blackeney- number 2 sg out of high school. Was on 2016 draft boards.
6'9 pf victor- was highly touted at previous school who then transferred.

Reply #580056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should have went to China and made millions just like Mudiay

Reply #580067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One year overseas holiday getting paid $$$ and no stupid NCAA amateur restrictions would be my choice.

Reply #580070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. He's going number 1 so whatever he has done has worked.

If you don't think he will go number 1 then bet against it and make some $$$ because most have him at clear favourite for number 1.

Reply #580084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. Averaging around 20/12. Had 23/12/6 today. Shaq av' 13.9/12 as a freshman at LSU.

Happy enough here. Go Ben.

Reply #580087 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Reply #580087
re: Should Ben Simmons have gone to another college?

Not really. Averaging around 20/12. Had 23/12/6 today. Shaq av' 13.9/12 as a freshman at LSU.

Happy enough here. Go Ben.

Choppy.

Reply #580089 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He's definitely going #1 unless something major occurred.

Should he have gone to another college? I suppose so, i've made a post about this before.

Reply #580091 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Ben's stats might be better than Shaq's but how tough was Shaq's competition, and how good were his team-mates in terms of taking minutes and ball off him?

Having said that, I don't think Jones is a good coach, although he may still have been the type of coach Ben needed at this early stage.

Reply #580099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people here don't get it.

It's not about the money, or about his individual stock. His stock would've stayed the same, wherever he went.

He should've gone to a different school because he'd have a better chance of winning. He's got one year in college, and he's wasted it on a losing team. If he went to a bigger/better school, he could've used his one-and-done year to compete for an NCAA Championship.

Just think, if you had one year in the NBA, and one year only. Do you choose the Warriors or the 76ers?

Reply #580104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie,

Shaq's freshman year he was teamed with the more senior Stanley Roberts. Roberts was thought to have the brighter future of the two.

That was their one year of sharing the big man spotlight together at LSU, Shaq's sophomore season he averaged 28 & 15 @ 63%.

Reply #580106 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

There's a big difference between getting coached by Jerry Jones then Coach K or Calipari. He was going to get minutes and exposure where ever he decide to go.

Reply #580112 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

#104 I think it's you who maybe doesn't get it. I don't think winning at NCAA level is that high as far as his priorities go.

Does it matter that Christian Laettner is considered one of, if not, the best college player of all time with his 2 national titles given his (relatively) poor pro record?
Or that Pippen, Rodman, Ben Wallace etc went to Div 2 schools?

Ultimately it's what he does after this year that's going to define his career.

Reply #580113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this topic was a salad it would be a shredded mush from all of the tossing

Reply #580116 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Just think, if you had one year in the NBA, and one year only. Do you choose the Warriors or the 76ers?"

If you only had one year you would go where the money is, as that one year would need to set you up for the rest of your life. No point winning a title and making $200k if you can come last and make $2mil.

Reply #580117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from maybe Melo, every player is trying to win a title rather than getting paid as much as they can

Reply #580119 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have to think that NBA teams aren't run by complete idiots. I imagine they put a lot of time, effort, and money into their recruitment.
Maybe a guy who would be on the fringe of getting selected benefits by extra notice, but you have to figure that teams are looking at Simmons already.
So assuming they think he is wonderful, but unable to produce the miracle needed to get his team over the the line, will they think any less of him because of the college?
Ironically HAD his excellence lifted his entire team into contention, that would have be a gigantic plus for him and would make made his choice of college inspired.

If you're arguing that his inability to be judged on his tourney performance counts against him, its not logical. If he plays in the tourney and does better than expected, sure his stocks go up. But you can't expect that he'll do better than expected.

Now yes, I understand that he needs the appropriate competition in which to show-case his talents. Winning MVP of the Idaho BF-league probably doesn't count for much.
But he's starting as a freshman in a Div 1 team, it doesn't get much better than that.

Furthermore, whilst I don't know the strength of his competition, had he gone to a stronger program, would he be getting the same minutes?

Reply #580120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stopped reading at the end of your first sentence. Obviously haven't seen what the Buss idiots are doing to the lakers

Reply #580122 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

He went to LSU due to friend of the family being an assistant. Heard his dad say so at one of the games. Big mistake IMO.
I've heard commentators say the other players on the team don't give him the ball when they should etc. Obviously after an NBA gig also.
I don't think Johnny Jones is a very good coach in that company as he can't have the players playing for him if the above is true. Help D is a missing factor in the LSU team.

Reply #580126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have been better off going to St Mary's with the other Aussies. Weak conference but at least they will be playing in the tournament. LSU is a joke

Reply #580143 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The coaching at LSU is the biggest problem IMO.

Reply #580150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Y do people in Australia think St Mary's is a good school? It's good for our second rate prospects but not too line guys like Simmons! LSU is very poorly coached which is why top prospects head to program run by top coscks see Duke, Kentuncky, Kansas etc. if your a 1/done prospect you should be getting the absolute best coaching you can get from these types of programs.

It's no disrespect to SMC but they ain't in the conversation with those other programs

Reply #580152 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

LSU's offense in the halfcourt is so terrible that there's a chance that Simmons regresses in his one year of college rather than develops... Should've gone to Kentucky.

Reply #580166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randy Bennett is an awesome coach... And it's a great school!
Ask delly and patty..

Reply #580167 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

The other point with LSU's offence is that other teams look like they've worked out how to defend them better, and maybe LSU haven't adjusted too well.

Reply #580168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol 580152. Since when are Delly and Patty, the Boomers starting guards and rotation players on championship contending NBA teams, "second tier aussie talent." I would say they're the creme of the crop. St Mary's would wipe the floor with LSU and has a better coach.

Reply #580178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, I would love to see that game

Reply #580198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both mills and Delly as freshman weren't recruit...Mt talking bout were they are now!

Oh and look at the Aussie talent at SMC now, plenty of future seabl players in that crop!

Reply #580216 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Yes Should of gone to Duke!

Reply #580222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were both the number one rated recruits in Australia for their class. The fact that that bigger teams didn't recruit them really comes down to incompetence on their part. And you have to give Bennett credit for developing them, especially Delly. He wouldn't be in the NBA if he went to a cellar dwellar like LSU for the sake of playing in a big conference.

I'd rate Pineau, Landale, and Naar as easy NBL caliber players. They would join about ten other Gaels playing in the NBL. Hardly a bad program, despite those who can't look past conference affiliation.

Reply #580226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact those two are our starting guards tells you about the quality of Australian basketball, not about the state of Saint Mary's program

Reply #580228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rating in Australia?? Ha ha really...they weren't on any of the major!!! College player rankings as freshman

Reply #580231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of you do not know Dave Julie and Ben.Dave is a VERY smart man and he knows exactly what he is doing.Coach Jones is a great bloke,most College coaches are aholes..Benny is young and coming along nicely.This has been good for him.The tournaments will be nothing but a memory when he plays NBA.It Ha been good his godfather is there and Dave and Julie have been there all season,so please do not pretend you know the family........Good luck buddy......

Reply #580256 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

I don't know Dave, Julie or Ben. I don't care if Johnny Jones is the only non asshole coaching a college team. But he is not very good. LSU were up 18 or so and nearly got run down. To hear the commentator (Dan Dickhead) criticizing Jones or any other coach is not usual, but he was relentless yesterday. Their D is terrible and is coached better by most junior coaches in Australia.

Reply #580909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Simmons-honored-in-Australia-43924260

In part here is what it says: LSU freshman Ben Simmons was named the 2015 Australia Institute of Sport Emerging Athlete of the Year at a gala awards event Tuesday at the AIS Sport Performance Awards (ASPAs).

Now don't get me wrong, this is awesome for him and well deserved I am sure. I just wonder how much time he spent at the AIS and how much coaches there actually put into his game compared with others?

Not saying he doesn't deserve such an award, but it is about the AIS, not just about his basketball achievements.

Reply #580995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754