Pointybits
Years ago

2016/17 Illawarra Hawks

There is little doubt that Player Agents are trying to fill club orders at the expense of the high flying Hawks. The team finished just 1 loss behind the 2 biggest spenders, who both have structural problems, plus Brisbane has named R Martin as a player of interest several weeks ago.
The big question is who will stay? Is there enough cash to maintain the team? is the Coach up for another year or 5.

Topic #39075 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they're in a decent position, even better if Lisch stays and is naturalised. Just one spare import spot gives them a decent backup plan if anyone moves to Brisbane.

The need was rebounding and interior strength and though I don't know anyone's plans, should Davidson retire, there's a straightforward option there to swap in a rebounding import. Given the players like Bevo and the team had a decent season, there shouldn't be much dissatisfaction. Maybe Martin and/or Coenraad go to Queensland for starting roles.

If NZ weren't fairly loaded, I think there could be a risk to lose Penney but while Webster and Abercrombie are there, that risk is reduced. Maybe Webster is reluctant to hang around, however.

If they can upgrade or patch holes with imports, they're not at the mercy of a tougher local marketplace catering for a new team which couldn't be said of most other teams.

I'd try for much of the same:

Lisch/Martin
White/Weeks
Penney/Coenraad
Ellis/Forman
Ogilvy/Import

If Martin goes, import combo guard. If Coenraad goes, Ellis can play SF/PF and an import can come in playing PF. They wouldn't need either to be scorers, so there'd be loads of options.

Reply #580341 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It pays to have a likeable talented coach that players would come to play for...

Any chance that Damo makes the big trip from the West? I'd prefer him in purple of course, but you'd think that this would be his last big contract, closer to 'home' and another chance to play for Bevo...

The big flag is the available cash... What exactly did the NBL do financially for them to get them into the league this season? Was it just wiping debts? It looked like the crowds came back this season, but was there enough of them? Has Spenceley exhausted his available free cash or will it have to be a budget team again next season?

FA season is always fun to follow, but I think other than the Kings, the Hawks will be my most interesting team to watch what happens... Unless Perth loses most of their free agents and they have to recruit more than their usual one or two players...

Reply #580356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should Davidson retire? I don't think he has a choice, doubt Hawks would re-sign him.

Reply #580369 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Boomers job will be vacant, I wouldn't be putting too many eggs in the Bevo basket.

Reply #580371 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There won't be much to do over next summer, I suspect even if he was Boomers coach he'd still be coaching a club.

Reply #580372 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I would LOVE Damien Martin to come over!!!
I hope the squads stays largely unchanged. Though they definitely do need a rebounder... Maybe a strong 4 man to complement AJ.

Reply #580407 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Damo would be a great addition if they can get him I agree. The 2 main things that could have turned semi final elimination into grand final participation this season were an upgrade at the point guard spot, and a 4 man who could have physically matched it with bigger opponents when necessary, and even the latter issue was handled pretty well by the Oscar/Cody tag team.
With a healthy squad from day 1 the Hawks could easily have finished top 2 so it's not like major changes are needed.
P.S. You're not getting Damo OMG get real!

Reply #580411 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Looking like the 3 import rule will come in next season, so that changes up every roster. Also likely force someone like Davidson to retire or be a temp injury replacement like Brad Hill was this season.

Lisch wants to stay, so does Penney. I don't see Forman going anywhere else. White will stay if the Hawks want him back. Weeks will get some other offers so who knows and AJ hasn't really hinted at anything either way. Rhys Martin has wanted more $ for a few seasons and could take off to Brisbane, however his wife now has a great career in radio in the Illawarra so that could play a factor. Tim's fitness career is getting some traction as well, so likely to stay. No idea with Ellis.

Reply #580414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis I believe is playing in wabl this off season, recon cats could be into home. Had a very good season after showing not much at the Kings.
Hope the side does not lose to many, would be a shame.
I not certain if bevo has resigned yet.

Reply #580421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you mean SBL

Reply #580422 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Re: Bevo re-signed. Everyone on the Hawks roster is a FA at the end of the season.

Reply #580423 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think Bevo is just coaching at NBL level until the end of Rio so he can get the Boomers job. He's surely next in line for the job.

Reply #580448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant believe I had perth missing the playoffs and the kings in.

Reply #580558 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Not sure if this means a great deal but the two happiest teams just by body language were the Hawks and Crocs this season. Unsure if the dramas in the offseason played into that but if you're happy amongst team mates then surely that will be making it harder for players to leave.

Would anybody want to re-sign a fully fit Tyson Demod?

I can imagine that Oscar is used as a spark off the bench for the remainder of his career and he seems like someone that would make the most of that.

Weeks earned my respect in the same way that Sobey and Maynard also did through playing hard and work ethic, looking forward to seeing how all those boys develop.

Lastly, if you're someone from say Cairns (definitely not naming names) and you basically looked miserable and like a complete shambles and you see what's happened at Illawarra this season, would that make it a more attractive prospect?

If Coenraad left for Brisbane, would Stevie Weigh off the bench be good compensation (surely his asking price is much less than in Adelaide) or would a 3/4 import that can defend and rebound be a better target ?

Reply #580601 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Such discussion really needs to begin with a list of who is contracted. And also need to know who might have Euro-
out clauses.
Somebody above suggested that everyone is a FA? That's diabolical if true.
Not only will they be scrambling to re-sign everyone, but a few guys will get increased PPRs.

Lisch's family reasons are obviously a strong motivator, but every team in Australia will be chasing him. They may yet decide to re-ignite their love-affair with Perth, or decide Sydney is a better local than the Gong, or MU may offer him $500k as a marquee player. :-(

Ogilvy has gotta be a chance to head back to Europe, or if he's out of contract somebody will chase him as a MP.

Penney is still an awesome player, but I suppose at some point there will be questions about how much longer he can play. Problem is that he'll be close to a 10 point player.

Weeks has certainly been the surprise-packet of the season, and is worth keeping even on increased points. But again other clubs will also be shopping for bench players.

I like Martin, he does some good stuff out there, but I'm not sure he's still up to running the point at NBL level. His loyalty discount is handy, and if he's happy to move to the bench I'd keep him, but if Brissy is offering him more money to come home, that could be it.

Demos should remain basically a free player in terms of his PPR. Worth keeping on your bench if short of cash and points. (Assuming his knee recovers.)

Davidson is nearing the end. If the 3-import rule does not come in, the stretch of a 9nth team might find a place for him on the Hawks bench, Especially if Bevo looks to spend up big on starters. But like Demos he's really only an option if they are out of points or cash.

With guys like Forman, Ellis, and Coenraad, it's going to come down to who you can get for your starting line-up, and what that leave you to spend on your bench. You don't really want to see any of those guys starting.

Reply #580607 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lastly, if you're someone from say Cairns (definitely not naming names)...Stevie Weigh
Uh huh.

if [Martin]'s happy to move to the bench I'd keep him
Does reality matter to you at all? Or do you just spout off whatever nonsense you like?

Reply #580610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be so sure that Bevo will come back. Spenceley runs that club on a shoestring budget and not sure that he's willing to pay the kind of money Bevo will command on the open market. Have heard whispers that the Kings have been chasing him HARD.

Reply #580632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that's true and he brings Lisch, a lot Kings problems solved.

Reply #580637 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bevo turned the Kings down, and the Kings turned Lisch down, once already. What's changed in Sydney?

Also, describing a team with Lisch, Penney and Ogilvy as being on a shoestring budget is hilarious.

Reply #580661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenraad to Brisbane along with Garlepp and Jawai is certain.

Reply #580662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol @ Koberulz. Typical arrogant keyboard warrior who thinks he knows more than he does. If you knew anything you'd know that Spenceley has a front office of exactly 2 full time staff, including the GM, and Bevo is the lowest paid coach in the league. And that despite the three names you mentioned the Hawks didn't even spend to the cap this year. But don't take some anonymous person's word for it. Do some research.

As far as the Kings are concerned, in my opinion nothing has changed and I would be shocked if Bevo signed with them. But that doesn't mean that after the worst season the club has ever had that they aren't going to throw a ton of money at the best coach in the league. Also doesn't mean he'd be silly enough to sign with that abortion of an ownership group.

Reply #580670 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

3 import rule is going ahead.

Reply #580672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oscar says big players were playing "under their worth" this season. So anon might be on to something there.

"When you bring someone like Bevo in and you have the positivity that we have and the inclusiveness of everyone involved; you've got big players playing for well under their worth," Forman said.

Reply #580673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey don't argue with Kobeklutz he's the expert on every team in the league

Reply #580683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many people know so much. Dazz, Kobe, Nat, Matt, Paul, Luuc where does it stop

Reply #580685 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Somebody stated above that everyone was a FA. One reason for that can be that the players are expecting an improvement in their salary prospects.

Lisch's primary reason for returning was family. He contacted Sydney first and was rejected. It's not unreasonable to suggest that he signed for less than his current value. Neither he nor Ogilvy or Penney would be playing for peanuts, but commentators have often quipped that Bevo spent all his money on 3 players. If you look at the lack of a 2nd import, and the calibre of the players he signed/ kept to fill out his squad, that gels with the notion that he's on a limited budget.
You'd hope that with their improved season, there's a chance at a bit more money.

Reply #580688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how do you know he contacted Sydney first Dazz?

Reply #580694 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, describing a team with Lisch, Penney and Ogilvy as being on a shoestring budget is hilarious.
Lisch tried to get a job in Sydney, got turned down. Took what he could get in Wollongong. Ogilvy had something lined up with Melbourne (I think it was) that fell through. Not sure about Penney, but both of the others were likely about as cheap as first-team players go.

Reply #580882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754