koberulz
Years ago

Wildcats vs Breakers, pre-series thread

The only positive of it being NZ vs Perth again is that game three, should it happen, will be hilarious due to the tight schedule and lengthy travel.

Can't stand the thought of NZ winning another one.

Topic #39080 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

As much as we've had discussion about how close and competitive the league is, in the past seven years there have been five different teams in the grand final in four different matchups (five if you count Cairns and NZ switching HCA) resulting in two different champions.

And the grand final matchup that has occurred in three of those seven years occurred in the semi finals in a fourth.

And Perth has played Illawarra/Wollongong once in the grand final, and three times in the semis.

Reply #580613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hoping and praying for the Breakers to win this series. I don't like either team all that much but the Breakers story is so much more fascinating as far as where they were to where they are right now with this season. They were toast and yet now they are equal favourites to win the thing! Good luck to them, think they have the Cats number so should be good stuff from a beautiful supporters point of view

Reply #580616 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Breakers would have had almost 11 days off between games.

Will rust be a concern?

Reply #580631 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Rust could be a concern but they have had lots of opportunities to train together and rehab any niggles and injuries and head into this series fresh.
They also will have lots of confidence in how they have not only turned their season around but also in their finals record against the Wildcats.

NZ have cut the nets down in Perth Arena just as many times as the Wildcats and did it first.

Reply #580639 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

This time we have a full team and hca, see how we go against the tall blacks. Perth is the best team in the nbl and Nz is the best team in the ibl international basketball league.

Reply #580642 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

"NZ have cut the nets down in Perth Arena just as many times as the Wildcats and did it first."

Well - I suppose one more time won't bother perth too much as long as they win gane one and get to sell ticket to 2 games, that will make it a win for next season where they will have 3 naturalised players, one Oceana (local) and 3 imports.

Unless united sign one of the two naturalised and the oceania prospects.

Reply #580647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth for mine as a hawks fan. It's really tough to choose but perth for me is the best team we've faced and the HCA might be the decide it at the end. Every game should be within a few points.

Reply #580649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Perth be the best team in the NBL when they didn't finish top of the regular season. Whats the IBL by the way?

Reply #580657 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anon0657 - An where is the team that finished top of the ladder now ;)

Reply #580658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2010: Perth def Wollongong 2-1

2011: NZ def Cairns 2-1

2012: NZ def Perth 2-1

2013: NZ def Perth 2-0

2014: Perth def Adelaide 2-1

2015: NZ def Cairns 2-0

2016: Perth vs NZ

Reply #580669 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, NZ won the championship in 2013 (with HCA). Obviously that is the most important factor here.

The scheduling is weird, but I think both teams should be fit for game 1. My concern is games 2 & 3. That's a lot of travel in a short space of time, especially for somebody carrying an injury like Jawai.

I am reasonably confident predicting games 1 & 2 will go to the home teams. Game 3 will be a war of attrition, and the result is anyone's guess.

Reply #580681 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Meh, if Damo hadn't done his achilles in the semi-finals that year we'd have defended home court in Gm 2 at least.

Reply #580720 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

1st Grand Final series the Wildcats have a full squad & hca.Makes all the difference.

Reply #580753 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perth had HCA in 2014. I think a full squad as well?

Reply #580756 | Report this post

I assume he meant against the Breakers.

Reply #580757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Game 2 is at the North Shore Events Centre? You would've though the Grand Final deserves some Vector action.

Reply #580767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats fans have been offered seats in Block 1 or 10 at NSEC Category A. Breakers fans who are familiar with this venue would you opt for Block 1 or 10?

Reply #580768 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vector is booked out for the Madonna concert.

Reply #580769 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Yeah I was surprised about the Vector situation also. Its a shame.

Reply #580771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't they just choose a different day for Game 2? This is supposed to be the league's showpiece event and premium stadiums should be a priority over second rate stadiums. Could have a wed-sat/sun-friday series?

Reply #580777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the game was on a Saturday or Sunday it would give Perth fans a chance to watch it live instead of being at work.

Reply #580803 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not a huge factor; we're all unemployed over here these days.

Reply #580807 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, Wildcats have played in 4 GF's in the past 7 years, we have won those with HCA, and lost those without.

Reply #580817 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

And you haven't defeated NZ in a final yet

Reply #580818 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, all our series against NZ have gone with HCA...

Reply #580820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But NZ has beaten Perth in a grand final in Perth. The Wildcats haven't been NZ in a grand final on their home floor.

Reply #580825 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Battle of the Boards is going to be critical. These must be close to the top 2 rebounding teams. Perth were very quiet on the boards in game 1 & 2, but improved in 3. A "healthy" Jawai and an aggressive Jervis are crucial.

Reply #580830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Such a shame the NBL haven't altered the dates for the GF. What they've come up with isn't well suited for TV times and isn't well suited for quality basketball.

Reply #580834 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Isn't well suited for quality fans either now that the Wildcats are in there.

Reply #580838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Paul, why have they opted for such a schedule? Just when we thought lk knew what the fans wanted

Reply #580845 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Who knows, maybe Fox said they wanted to be done by March 6? But if that was the case, they should have squeezed the SFs closer.

Reply #580847 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Why couldn't NZ get their venue sorted out before the playoffs, like the other teams have. Did they not have the foresight to at least pencil book Vector Arena for the entire playoff duration? Knowing full well that they are a contender and had a very good chance of getting to the GF.

I dont know how venue booking works, and it may be more complicated, but I would have thought that a regular tenant like the Breakers would be able to reserve the arena for the playoff duration, so all dates are available.

The thought of not only having to watch a showpiece game at the worst stadium in the league, but also as well as it being on at 2:30pm on a work day for Western Australians just adds to my overall dislike for the NZ Breakers.

Unless Vector becomes a full time venue, I hope this is the last time NZ make a grand final for a long time. Two years in a row a GF game is played at NSEC is an abolute disgrace to a league that is rebuilding its credibility.

Reply #580848 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think Madonna booked it in a fortnight ago, I imagine that date has been taken for quite some time.

Reply #580849 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's good for TV in the sense that game three will be live on FTA.

Semis were on the weekend to help with crowds, the grand final has more drawing power so they can get away with weekday games.

Reply #580850 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know how venue booking works either, but it seems like common sense to me that you can't just reserve a city's premier venue for a block of time on the off chance that you might be using it for one night within that block, considering acts like Madonna would be booking many months in advance for a show that is guaranteed to sell.

My question was going to be whether Trust Stadium (which certainly looks nicer on TV) would be a better option, but I see now that it only holds an extra 500 people than NSEC. I had it in my head that the difference was greater.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that the NBL is always going to struggle with this type of issue. That's the uncertainty of sport.
I hope that in the background they did look at rescheduling the games to timing that was more appropriate for Perth-NZ travel. Even if Vector was a no-go either way, it looks like there's nothing at Perth Arena until 10/3. Pretty sure that a GF game 3 in Perth would pull a decent crowd regardless of what day it was on. An extra day or 2 would give people more time to get organised to be able to attend.

Reply #580851 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ ahh yes, fair point about game 3 and the FTA TV situation

Reply #580852 | Report this post

Perth are already selling tickets to game 3...

Reply #580853 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

GF dates were clearly designed to suit Foxtel requirements. Just a shame its going to backfire on them when not too many people in Perth will be able to watch Game 2.

Wednesday, Saturday (at Vector), then following Friday night in Perth would have been far more sensible for players, fans and TV audience.

Oh yeah that's right, the football starts to get in the way...

Reply #580854 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

lololol

Reply #580855 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Chalmers: where are Perth selling tickets to G3 of the grand final. I can't see that on ticketek at all?

Reply #580860 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Chalmers is confused...

It's next year's Grand Final that the Cats are selling tickets to! ;-)

Reply #580869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't get healthy Jawai, you can have a fat one but that's about it. Won't be a game 3 in this one, Breakers will win it in 2, the hca thing won't be an issue.

Reply #580873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can't get healthy Jawai, you can have a fat one but that's about it. Won't be a game 3 in this one, Breakers will win it in 2, the hca thing won't be an issue."

Why do I get the feeling this poster is twice as fat as Jawai?

There's no way NZ win this in 2. They have zero chance of winning game 1 in Perth.
There is a possibility that the Wildcats will win in 2.
But I think it will take them 3.

Reply #580876 | Report this post

thomnuffy  
Years ago

[quote]They have zero chance of winning game 1 in Perth.[/quote]

I am still haunted by them winning game 2 of the 2013 GF in Perth.

They definitely have a chance - maybe not the most likely outcome but definitely a chance.

Reply #580884 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Bench will need to play a big part in this series with games so close together. Who has the best bench ? My initial thoughts were Perth with Kenney, Wagstaff, Redhage, Hire and Jervis but it's hard to discount the Breakers bench when you have players like Jackson and Wesley coming in.

Reply #580889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth deeper bench but NZ better quality players on the bench

Reply #580890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good series preview on the NBL website

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/hardball-podcast-ep-19-grand-finals-preview/

Reply #580891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pudgy but by no means that fat, and I'm no professional athlete either. No chance in game 1, wel you lost all credit there alone.

Reply #580916 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Before anyone says NZ have no chance, might want to think about what people were saying about them before the Melbourne series and how that ended up.

Reply #580921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, to say the breakers are no chance is just hopeful bravado fan talk.

Reply #580924 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Writing off the Breakers is just setting yourself up for disappointing. Especially when their opponents are the team that got pants by the Crocs three times this season including once at home.

Reply #580925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Martin V Jackson matchup ill be epic and probably the deciding factor but the boards is where this games/series will be won.

The team that hits the offensive glass and gets more second chance opportunities will prevail. Perth has the deeper frontcourt but the Breakers rebound really well as well.

Depth and talent is Perth by a bit, but the Breakers wining know how and how to get it done when it counts will be huge. This could be the greatest GF battle where 2 or maybe al 3 games go to OT.

Reply #580938 | Report this post

Anonymouse  
Years ago

And it could be like just about every other game between Wildcats and Breakers that really matters.
i.e.. Breakers win easily.

Reply #580939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB or mystro atleast stop posting as anon

Reply #580941 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, some ridiculous claims by anonytrolls on both sides.
Really don't understand the mentally of some people? Jumping up and down like a spoiled brat doesn't make the universe bend to your whims. Repeating the same inane claims ad nauseum doesn't make them any more true.

It would be nice if we could actually discuss the GAME, instead of just randoms claiming "Perf is gonna looz cos thay suk."

Really stupid part is that these would be the exact same anonytrolls claiming that the Hawks were going to wipe the floor with the Cats in game 3.

As I have said, right from the start, this the NBL and finals to boot, anything can happen.
IMHO odds are in favour of the home team in the first two games, and game 3 is wide open. I have put my money on game 3, I'll be there come what may.

Reply #580942 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bench will need to play a big part in this series with games so close together. Who has the best bench ? My initial thoughts were Perth with Kenney, Wagstaff, Redhage, Hire and Jervis but it's hard to discount the Breakers bench when you have players like Jackson and Wesley coming in.
It's hard to say. Perth's bench players have had some great individual games, but lack consistency.
Hire has not scored a single point in the finals, despite averaging almost 13 minutes.
I keep waiting for the Veteran Redhage to step-up (like Vukona has done, and like Forman did in G2) but its looking less likely. (As an aside, a championship win would be a nice note for him to retire on.)
Wagtaff and Jervis are both capable of having big games, and we're going to need it. We need jervis to get aggressive on the boards and on the put-backs, and we need Wagstaff to hit some 3's.

If you see Martin, Kenny, and Wagstaff hitting 3's early, that's a good sign for a Cats win.

There's also no escaping the likelihood that this will be a dour defensive game, with 80~90 points enough for a win.

And as mentioned, we need a big effort from Jawai, especially in game 1. He will only get worse with the travel, so if he can't deliver in game 1, its effectively series over for him.
We need Jawai, Knight, and Jervis to get Jackson in foul trouble early. He's fouled out in both finals, and if we can get him in trouble early, that will give us a chance on the boards.

Reply #580944 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Brakers is gonna looz cos thay suk

Reply #580949 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Repeating the same inane claims ad nauseum doesn't make them any more true."

Says the guy who didn't know of Rhys Martin would be okay with moving to the bench next season.

Reply #580957 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ah yes, another completely off-topic personal attack from kober.
You really need to see a therapist about this obsession.

Reply #580963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man you same blokes are so odd and child like! No one even talk about the games anymore, just try to correct each other!!

Reply #580967 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Ticket sales for Game one are not looking very special. According to ticketek, you can buy up to 10 tickets in most blocks. I would of been expecting Level 4 to be opened up by now.

Reply #580981 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

....and right on queue, the 4th level is opened.

Reply #580986 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I feel the reason NZ smashed United is in no small part because Pledger played smart and had lots of fouls to play with and because Melbourne are soft as marshmallow.

I can't see Perth being as soft but if Pledger can stay out of foul trouble then he will remain a big target on offense and be able to stay with Kawai on D.

I like the Wildcats but Corey Webster hasn't been scintillating in 2016 and that scares me.

Reply #581163 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754