AyJay
Years ago

Police probe basketball coach over match-fixing ..

"Police probe basketball coach over match-fixing allegation

POLICE have launched a match-fixing probe into a high-profile basketball coach.

Basketball Australia referred police and Canberra's National Integrity of Sport unit to allegations of inappropriate betting on basketball games.

The basketball match-fixing inquiries are the latest to stain Australian sport along with tennis, cricket, soccer, AFL and NRL.

Accusations include the high-level basketball coach betting against their own team." etc

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/police-probe-basketball-coach-over-matchfixing-allegation/news-story/17cd5406790804f0114087fd67abb78a

Doesn't sound good.

Topic #39081 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Sadly very NBL team has looked absolutely bloody awful in atleast one game this season

Reply #580596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its wnbl apparently

Reply #580598 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It is not related to the NBL.

Reply #580620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just a warning. If the article isn't naming names, you probably shouldn't either. You are responsible for what you post. Anonymous or not, you can be traced if the law wants to find you.

Reply #580622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not very hard to work it out!

Reply #580624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL team goes in liquidation prior to season end; blackface; Opals strife; now probe into coach betting. 2016 off to a dramatic start for Basketball Australia.

Reply #580625 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Doesn't seem to be related to the NBL.

I was thinking though, the biggest form of match fixing is absolutely smashing the salary cap, which NBL teams done over history countless times.

Reply #580634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Herald Sun also confirmed that Queensland Police have been made aware of the match-fixing allegations and are investigating.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/02/27/05/33/australian-basketball-hit-by-match-fixing-allegations#IDP2p5X6ltOBXQ65.99

Reply #580635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

High profile coach??? there are only 2 in my estimation. one from ACT and one from QLD

Reply #580636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said 630. You hit the nail on the head.

Reply #580640 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Might damage the WNBL reputation, I'm
sure it will heal in time ?

Reply #580643 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

oh Train....

Reply #580648 | Report this post

Spot up  
Years ago

I would have thought the commentators last night might have mentioned it. They didn't though. Bit odd.

Reply #580675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone can make any allegation provided they can back it up legally. No need to avoid the issue what so ever provided you can prove it in court. Feel free.

Reply #580684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People in QLD....keep this team !

Reply #580693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

previous post was intended for the WNBL thread

Reply #580695 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure that truth is a defense in a defamation case? At least not in Australia.

Reply #580698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? Truth is probably the biggest defense, seeing as how defamation is the spreading of false information and all

Reply #580700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hence Isaac giving a warning for people to watch what they say. If you just repeat some rumours and state them as fact, but don't have any proof as to whether they are true, you're going to have a hard time using truth as a defence.

Reply #580701 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Australia has largely uniform defamation laws across all jurisdictions. Under the mostly uniform laws, there is a defence if a defendant can prove that the defamatory statements or imputations are substantially true. Note the above poster's advice. If you post something and get sued for defamation, you'll have to prove the truth of what you posted.

Also, repeating stuff other people have said, even if it's in the public arena, can still be deemed defamatory if it ain't true.

Reply #580703 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

To change the topic slightly its interesting to note BA has no integrity unit or investigators to deal with this situation.

Reply #580705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA has very little of everything.

Reply #580706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering who it is being investigated - and I'd wager most people in the basketball community know who it is - I completely agree that people need to be very careful about what they say, even if under what they feel to be total anonymity. At least until the name has been made public.

All I will say is that if these allegations are proven correct - and my mail is there is some very strong evidence to back them up - then whoever is being investigated will find themselves completely ostracized from the sport in this country, not to mention it will wind up being one of the biggest stories we've ever seen in basketball.

Reply #580737 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

actually

"BA has very little of everything" is actually quite a lot e.g. .0001% of infinity is still infinity.

Now "BA has very little of anything" is probably quite small, and "BA has very little of anything of use" is even smaller still.

Reply #580748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article probably shouldn't say 'high profile'...

I follow the league although I couldn't tell you the names of a few coaches.

Reply #580749 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, think it's in some US states that truth is not a defence? I remember reading about it ages ago.

Reply #580880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they should look at owners/ref as NZ could show two game tapes in particular were reffing was extremely questionable

Reply #580886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" think it's in some US states that truth is not a defence? "

That is what Donald Trump is relying on :)

Reply #580896 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's technically true that truth isn't a defence in the US, but only because the burden is on the plaintiff to prove falsity (and, if a public figure, actual malice). Truth being a defence means the burden is on the defendant to prove truth.

Reply #580920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754