Dazz
Years ago

Points ratings of NZ NBL players?

aka "Dazz's plan to knobble the Breakers"...

Just joking...

I'm curious as to what PPR is allocated to somebody like Kenny? Is there a de facto standard applied to guys from the NZ-NBL?

(Technically, he should be a 9, having played ONE game in Germany, but I assume he would have appealed such a rating.) Under the rules, "Other International Leagues" are 8 points. ROFL.
But subject to appeal "on the basis that the perceived playing strength of the league where they were contracted to play does not warrant that rating."

So do that get a rating from the NZ-NBL, or just come in as a 1?

I'm just curious, because at the time of signing Jawai, it was reported (by Boti) that Perth had released and re-signed Damo, to take advantage of his drop in points.
But even without doing that, they still had 2 points spare, enough to sign Kenny if he was a 1

Topic #39087 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the Dazz million threads leading into the gf series stuff begins! Kenny should be a 9 rich my friend very rich

Reply #580725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daz NEEDS his OWN sub-site.

Reply #580726 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think Dazz has a good question and I'm interested to see if anyone can enlighten us.

Reply #580728 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Exactly the same as an Australian or Pacific Islander who has played at a similar level.

Reply #580730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enlighten us? Cue Chalmers and koberulz... Your all welcome

Reply #580731 | Report this post

*you're

Reply #580732 | Report this post

I'd copy and paste the section of the points cap rules on this issue but the anon above decided last week that doing that isn't a good thing.

Reply #580733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoop there it is!!!

Reply #580773 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure what people's problem is? I have simply asked a question.

Perhaps I wasn't clear about the question though, maybe I should improve the title. I'm referring to what point are allocated to somebody who has played in the NZ-NBL, not somebody who was simply born in NZ.

Under the rules, any non-specified foreign league is worth 8 points. (Subject to appeal.) Clearly that cannot be the case for NZ, so I wonder in the NBL has adopted a de-facto rating?

In Kenny's case (ignoring his one game trip to Germany) he got his degree in Auckland, so never attended a US college, so he wouldn't even get a 3 point rating from that.

I suspect that the NBL simply ignores the NZ-NBL status as a national league, which would make Kenny a 1 point player, but can anyone confirm?

Reply #580808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

60 cents each or 8 for $3

Reply #580809 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Dazz - is the nub of your question whether NZ NBL is defined as an overseas league for the purposes of the salary cap rules? AFAIK the rules aren't explicit on that point but it seems unlikely, given the ratings attached to NZ players over the years and based on the spirit of the rules.

On the Kenny question, he played a single game in a second tier German league. I would expect he'd have had a good case to be re-rated under the rookie rule. i.e., as a 1 point player.

Reply #580811 | Report this post

Deeez Nuuuts  
Years ago

So Dazz, step up on they azz
and give these muthaf***as a blast from the past

Reply #580813 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Peter John, yes & no. I guess it's whether they regard the NZ-NBL as a "national league" and have assigned ex players a defacto points rating (less than 8) or whether they simply ignore it, so players are rated as rookies.

I suspect the latter is the case, making Kenny a 1.

My curiosity was piqued because of speculation over Martin's contract status. It was reported prior to the season by Boti, that the Cats had released and then re-signed him to take advantage of his lower points, but if Kenny is only a 1 ten it wasn't necessary.

If he IS only a 1, I hope we got him on a multi-year contract! :-)

Reply #580823 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yorn

Reply #580836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz should get the nickname 'the instigator' with the amount of topics he starts out of nothing topics! This is a true yawn subject I must agree.

Reply #580875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They'd ignore the NZ NBL and just lump those guys in either anyone coming out of the SEABL/etc. It's very possible that the "foreign league" thing was just overlooked.

Doubt Kenny would be more than a 1 or 2.

Reply #580877 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah, I imagine that would have to be the case.

Reply #581037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't you worked that out Dazz based on your previous posts about other players under your interpretation of the Tendex rule?

Reply #581043 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Makes sense that they wouldn't group the NZNBL, SEABL etc. as a foreign league and allocate points accordingly because they are clearly inferior leagues.

In any event, the NZNBL is not really a "foreign league". If a NZer counts as a local in the NBL, then surely the NZNBL should be classified as a local league? (notwithstanding that non-NZers also play). Depends on the wording of "foreign" though i suppose.

Also, the NZNBL is starting to be beneficial for Australian players so it's not just for the benefit of NZ players. Blanchfield, Garlepp, Cadee have all benefitted from NZ stints and Kay will be the benefactor this season.

Reply #581073 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754