Dazz
Years ago

Timing of Finals Games

Such a shame the NBL haven't altered the dates for the GF. What they've come up with isn't well suited for TV times and isn't well suited for quality basketball.

Weird to have such a big gap between SF G2 and G3, then a moderate gap, then smash all the GF games together.

I imagine that NZ, would travel early to Perth, but still Auckland to Perth, back to Auckland, and them back to Perth in the space of a few days is a big ask. Jawai will be stuffed by G3.

If you consider that Vector isn't even available, the timing is very puzzling. Not sure what the rush is?
It's not as though people get bored if it goes to 3 games and switch off.

The close timing of G3 in particular is nonsense. Not only is it a big ask for players to back up so quickly, and at such a distance, but there is almost zero opportunity to market and sell tickets. Now I suppose that many people will assume that G3 in Perth will be a sell-out, but what if its not?
And we don't even know what the tip-off time is, so how are Fox (and Nine?) meant to program and advertise? You'd think the NBL would be trying to get the finals onto FTA to help rebuild their profile?

Topic #39090 | Report this topic

Matthew  
Years ago

Thats why I think if the Wildcats win game one they will have won the series. A quick travel for both teams back to Nz and then back to Perth again.

Reply #580856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slightly related, but hopefully the teams make a big push to get some celebs to the games to promote the league's showcase event. Was good to see so many eagles boys at game 3 of the semis and tweeting away their excitement

Reply #580857 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Game three sold out fine in 2014 in exactly the same circumstances.

I'd imagine the only reason tipoff is still TBC is negotiations with TV about the timeslot, it wouldn't be them jerking TV around. To keep it in the same slot they've been using all year would require a midday tipoff in Perth, they might be trying to avoid that.

Other than that...they've scheduled the lower-drawing semis on weekends, to maximise crowds, the grand final during the week because they can without having to worry too much, they've got game three in the live FTA slot...what more could you want? If it were scheduled for the 4th, 10th and 13th everyone would complain about how long it was taking.

Game two will also be live on FTA, so even better.

Reply #580861 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Shame the Breakers are not playing at Vector as well.

Reply #580865 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I realise that this kind of smashed together series is common, doesn't make it right though.

Be interesting to see what crowds there are for game 1. I was s toss-up, but I'm betting on their being a G3, so I will buy a ticket to that.
Although I would still love to see the Cats win in 2.

It is good that G2 will be live on 9-Gem.

Reply #580868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 3 is in the TV guide on 9Gem as 10.30am Sunday Perth time. Hopefully that isn't the actual tip off! Not much of a spectacle/marquee event if it's in a junior sport timeslot.

Reply #580870 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Can't imagine that's right, given Gem's timeslot has been noon WST all season.

Reply #580872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would equate to wa timeslot but 1030 eastern.

Reply #580874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jawai will be stuffed by G3.
Do you mean "Q3"?

Reply #580879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man he will be starving by the half and then have integestion by the 3rd quarter.

Reply #580881 | Report this post

thomnuffy  
Years ago

The NBL app is showing the game 3 time as 1pm Western, 4pm Eastern.

Reply #580883 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

> > Jawai will be stuffed by G3.

> Do you mean "Q3"?

I think they meant pizza 3

Reply #580887 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Viewership TV numbers in NZ for Game 1 may be very low considering it's an 11.30pm NZT start on Wednesday.

Would have loved to see Game 1 in Perth on Friday (because NZers can stay up until 1.30am on a Friday night/Saturday morning), then Game 2 in NZ on Sunday (could have got Vector then I think and game times of 7.30pm NZ/2.30 Perth would have worked) and then Game 3 in Perth on Friday night (11 March)

Reply #580888 | Report this post

In previous years, when game 3 was a week after game 2, people complained that the break between games killed the excitement and momentum. I guess they tried to fix that this year but unfortunately the wrong two teams made it through.

Reply #580901 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Yes it's turned into a snorefest now.

I've heard people say "Is the season still going?".

Reply #580902 | Report this post

Their teams finished bottom 4, I take it.

Reply #580904 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

... or Top 1 ;)

Reply #580908 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

what more could you want?"

A schedule that allows teams to recover and play close to their best basketball, maximises viewer numbers by not being middle of the day or night on a weekday in the respective cities, and that allowed for the best venues to be used would be high on my list.

If it were Melbourne v Illawarra this would work great, but it's not.

Reply #580912 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How many of those things can you achieve while getting games on FTA and not dragging the series out for two weeks?

Reply #580922 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 2012 GF ran over 12 days and produced arguably the greatest GF ever. I would have no problem with a similar timeframe to help produce quality basketball.

Reply #580932 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If it goes the distance it will be 3 games over 4 days and 18 hours. Extremely stupid i think.

Reply #580934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was the lead news story on ABC news sports segment today. LK knows how to grab the headlines

Reply #580955 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gotta say, from a spectacle point of view, if you want basketball fans to watch this regardless of affiliation, then the NBL needs to look at the scheduling.

Game two was very ugly, and it was clear by the 2nd quarter that NZ were struggling in this one. Cats got some confidence, and with the D struggling made it look better.

Obviously from a league perspective, you'd hope next years GF is Hawks v Adelaide (or similar) but if there's travel like this again, they've got to allow for better recuperation.

Maybe the mooted change to allow a DP to travel will change things up, and teams will recruit a genuine 11th man? But as we saw with NZ, its difficult to run that deep on your bench.

Reply #582006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole season schedule has been rubbish in so many ways.. I personally thought this was a frustrating season from schedules, nbl app probs, fox costs and changing midstream, poor rotations, don't mention the refs, it goes on. I have lost interest as thw season goes on and I was andie hard fan and member.. Not anymore

Reply #582029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754