Tommy
Years ago

Aussies Smash Academy Awards

The Aussies ran rough shot across the Academy Awards today. No doubt they're the toast of parties all across Hollywood right now, earning the respect of the yanks by beating them at their own game.

It's hard to pick a moment that made me the most proud.

It could be Lesley Vanderwalt, who won for make-up and hair design, for her "pop the corks, we're bring gold home" comment to open her acceptance speech. I bet the yanks didn't know how to take this down to earth, salt of the earth Aussie girl.

Or it could be David White, winning for Best Sound Editing, for shouting "Mad Mad Fury Road!!" so loudly into the microphone that it temporarily lost power and for saying he was proud to represent all his Australian colleagues. This was Aussie passion on display for all of Hollywood to see.

And it could be Ben Osmo, who won for Best Sound Mixing, who only got a few seconds at the microphone because he and his two other colleagues were being played off the stage. But what did he say with the few seconds he was given? He said "To all the Australians." Country First!

All Aussie winners showed passion, solidarity and a love of country on the biggest of stages.

At the end of the night, the Australian film won six awards, more than any other film nominated. We may not have won any of the big ones - like Best Actor in a Supporting Role, or Best Actress in a Supporting Role, or Best Director, or Best Actor, or Best Actress, or Best Picture. But we won the most. And I've haven't been prouder of my Australian brothers and sisters in a long time.

Topic #39091 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball website

Reply #580927 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - in fairness, this site allows posters to raise topics of a non-basketball nature that may be of interest to followers of the site. There is an 'offtopic' tag for such non-basketball posts and this thread was correctly tagged as 'offtopic'.

The thread title also makes it clear it's an 'offtopic' thread.

Reply #580983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humble apology

Reply #581000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness, jump on the woman's day Facebook page and not a basketball website

Reply #581025 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

In fairness anon, who are you to tell others how to spend their online chat time?

Aussies doing well on the world stage is big news no matter the sport or if it is the arts.

Chris Rock is one funny black comedian...

Reply #581107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754