Anonymous
Years ago

Do teams ever have more than 10 players?

Under the rules, teams can have upto 12 regular players, provided they fit within the points and salary cap. So I reckon from time to time there would be teams that could afford to sign an extra rookie or two on 1 point. Does it ever happen? Would there be any advantage?
Teams could still only have 10 players per game plus they already have the option of using two development players at home. It would give them extra depth but they already have the ability to use development players for injury cover and signing replacements for more serious injuries.

Topic #39096 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Townsville signed 11 players last season and I think Cairns may have too with Sobey/Maynard as 10-11.

Corbin Roe for Perth is known as the Wikdcats 11th player.

NBL rules state that the home team can suit 10 players and 2 development players and the visiting team only their 10 contracted players.

I'm not sure what happens in playoffs with that rule.

Basically yes you can sign an 11th player of which is basically a DP that the team invests in and he is the first picked if injury occurs.

Reply #581058 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the NBL are looking at allowing teams to take 11-12 players on the road next season.

Reply #581060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thx

"Basically yes you can sign an 11th player of which is basically a DP that the team invests in and he is the first picked if injury occurs."

I wonder what the advantage would be over being a development player? Possibly age? I think they have to be under 24? If next year Wroe is too old Perth could potentially still sign him as their 11th player, however his playing time would be limited. As a development player he can suit up for their home games.

Reply #581078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would it it work if you had eleven or twelve signed, could you drop players not performing like football or if you're in the ten no matter how bad you are going you still travel?.

Reply #581083 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I dunno but you have to wonder how many Jarrod Kenny players are out there that would be great reserve players but aren't allowed due to age restrictions

Reply #581159 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why not have one or two local A grade players suited up for the away team, instead of paying for an extra 2 DPs to travel who aren't going to get minutes anyway. They're really only there to cover worst case injury or foul out scenarios that rarely eventuate.

Reply #581164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you had 11 or 12 signed, then yes you can pick your 10 on a game by game basis.
It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for a team like the Wildcats that are very top-heavy. Drop one of their forwards when he's having a rough patch, and bring in another guard for the bench.

IIRC that's how it was many years ago, you had a 12 player squad, but only named 10 on the night.

Reply #581243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IIRC Kings a few seasons ago had 12 in their man roster. On the road obviously with 10 max limit they had to cycle through the 12 to get to 10.

Reply #581337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

main roster that should read.

Reply #581338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754