Dazz
Years ago

Should Jawai travel to NZ?

Just to continue on the discussion started by Heal & Rucker...

A well-rested Jawai was almost unstoppable early on.
Then he pulled up sore again, and his output tapered off.
It was suggested (by Heal IIRC) that Perth should rest him for game 2, play Jervis and leave Nate in Perth, so he'd be ready for game 3.

Normally, this is the kind of crazy shit that I come up with, but the more I think on this proposition, the more its starts to make sense.

Perth would love to win in 2, but what are their chances? I can't recall when they last won a game in NZ. Plus we know that Nate can't backup in 2 days, especially with the trip to NZ, without a medical miracle. So realistically this is going to come down to game 3.

There's still plenty of potential upside in the Cats. Their two top scorers were very quiet tonight, as was Jervis.

For mine, it comes down to this: Do they think they can win G2 in NZ? If so, throw everything at it. If not, resting Jawai might be a very smart move.

Topic #39101 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You always go for the win. Never ever play it safe, but if he is physically unable to go then so be it. Embarrassing to think he is that unfit for what they paid that Coke the GF series they need to consider such things.

Reply #581244 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

They have to take him, it's doing him an injustice as they are giving him less chance to be Larry Sengstock medallist.

Even a useless sore Jawai is good for 5 tough fouls and if it makes Webster take a tougher shot than drive to the lane then 8 minutes out of Jawai can still be vital.

Jervis and Hire can play extended minutes and Redhage should lift his production as well

Reply #581247 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

You don't rest a player during the Grand Final.
Back yourself in to win Game 2 and you won't even need Game 3.
I'd imagine Jawai would be a little disappointed if the team held him out of Game 2, then they won, so he wasn't there to celebrate with the rest of the team.
If Jawai really isn't fit enough that he can't play 2 games in 3 days when there's a Championship at stake, he should spend the next year at the Biggest Loser ranch. Players like Randle come back a week early from a serious knee injury to try just get their team into the Playoffs, if he can't get up for a Grand Final game, it speaks volumes about his approach to the game.

Reply #581252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree Hendo. So much pussyfooting around the lack of discipline. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a psychologist/trainee with him almost F/T, unless they don't plan to keep him beyond this year. I think players have a responsibility to get and stay fit for their job.

Reply #581256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You wouldn't keep him past this season unless there is a big pay reduction. He has been a major disappointment and I actually don't like watching him sweat and whinge and hobble up the court. Was hoping so badly for the Taipan version. Your right Isaac there has been a lot of pussy footing around the fact he can't stop eating more calories than he burns off. He is fat.

Reply #581257 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm assuming Perth players will be flying first class so they should be able to get adequate rest on the flight.

Reply #581258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Sengstock Medallist? For playing a good first 1/2 in game one? Hahahaha

Reply #581259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLease take Jawai to NZ and back. He needs to be there when Perth sweeps.

Reply #581260 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Back injuries can be a real bitch. But if it's something manageable, as it appears to be, then yes I think Nate needs to play if the medicos clear him.

Reply #581263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hardly been manageable Luuuc. He plays as much as he can which seems to be about 1/2 a game a game. If that's manageable then fine. perhaps he should be paid 1/2 his salary too.

Reply #581264 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I thought it was common knowledge that each Perth Wildcat player has their own private jet. The flight to NZ shouldn't be a problem.

Reply #581265 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If he can give us 15 minutes then that is still 15 minutes less fatigue for the rest of our bigs if the series goes to game 3, and it's still another 5 fouls that we have to help deal with Pledger & Jackson, so I'll take that.

By manageable I just mean that if it's the type of injury that could possibly rule him right out of game 3 if he travels, then and only then would I consider leaving him in Perth. It appears not to be that type of injury though. I'm assuming he's a competitive guy who still likes to win even if he also likes to eat, so surely he would want to play a role in a title win if it were up to him.
As much as he got panned for his SF series I actually thought he was more than useful in game 3, and of course played well last night, so keep going with it I say.

Reply #581268 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

There are really two components to this...
1) If he is carrying a back injury that needs rest etc then that is what drives the decision on whether to take him or not. It is all good and well to say you don't rest players in GF etc. But if he won't be somewhere near full fitness then don't take him

2) Him being unfit and overweight. Obviously this would contribute to his back injury, but if he is not able to be ready for game 2 just because of fitness then I agree that they shouldn't re-sign him.
I doubt whether the decision of whether they take him to Gm2 or not is being made based on the fact that he is unfit.

It is disappointing, from the outside looking in, to not see him improve his conditioning and weight. Although I don't imagine I know all the facts about this. With the professionalism of the Wildcats I'm fairly confident that he would have had all the support required to be in peak physical condition. So there might be an issue/s that have restricted this.

Having said the above, if he had all the support etc and still refused to do the right things that would have got him in shape then he is a knucklehead and doesn't deserve to be signed by any team in the NBL

Reply #581269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats instagram photo at the airport...

No Jawai or Jervis in the pic.. Might mean nothing

Reply #581270 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Stop the speculation, he is at the airport with the team as per Wildcats instagram.

Reply #581272 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

There is also a pic without Jawai in it.

Who knows. Maybe the "Qantas lounge" pic wasn't really the Qantas lounge. Maybe it's a photoshop.

We won't know what Jawai's status is until game day!

haha

Reply #581273 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Normally, this is the kind of crazy shit that I come up with, but the more I think on this proposition, the more its starts to make sense."

This demands a 'Funny' tag.

Reply #581274 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Maybe Jawai just went to the Qantas lounge to get free breakfast and wish the boys good luck?

Reply #581283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they cook it he will come!

Reply #581296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't get into the Qantas lounge without a valid ticket ;)

Reply #581300 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They have to win one more game, and they are most likely to do that with Jawai dominating inside, so I'd keep him in Perth and have him fresh against tired and overmatched opponents in G3 if needed.

Reply #581304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellusional Paul, why even sign a guy you don't plan on playing in a close out game? He has been fat and hobbling all season, he needs to suck it up go out and go to war against the breaker bigs.

Reply #581307 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

So did NZ fly back straight after last night's game, but Perth only flew to NZ today?

Interesting..which one is a better approach?

Agree regarding the comments on Jawai. You don't really have a leg to stand on claiming a back injury if and when that back injury is caused by being overweight - that's kind of like me staying up till 4am every morning and then complaining that i'm too tired to work. If you're own laziness/lack of discipline is causing the issue, it's not a simple case of 'bad luck'. There's a correlation there.

To be fair, even if he didn't have the professional Cats support staff it shouldn't give him a right to "let go" on his weight management and discipline. If ordinary people can achieve workplace success and get themselves into a shape/condition to perform their work property, what's stopping Jawai? I don't have a psychologist, nutritionist etc. but i'm still in shape and fit.

Reply #581308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macdub perfect analogy. That sums it up perfectly.

Reply #581309 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

It's a sad situation if you have to "rest" a player in the grand final series.

Reply #581312 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Not trying to just make excuses here, but it could be the case that his back condition prevents him from doing the work required to get to the level of fitness that he really needs to be at?

I'd say the decision needs to come down to how bad his back actually is, and how he pulled up after Game 1..

Reply #581317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My guess when you carry over 140 kg's on you're frame the back condition will be a given. He needs to shed atleast 15 to 25 kg's for his own long term health.Just the stress that puts on his heart alone would be really bad .

Reply #581322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine how fat and unhealthy he'd be if Fearne didn't spot him on a Cairns street and got him to pick up basketball.

Reply #581325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be deceased within 20 years max with his weight conditioning due to heart issues. If this is his size training every day and playing check back in 5 years into retirement. It's a real issue not making fun, the man is a heart attack waiting to happen and it's a damn shame.

Reply #581333 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not about having a leg to stand on, it's doing what gives the best chance of winning a title, and for mine that's leaving Nate in Perth.

Reply #581335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul you may as well leave a few more back in Perth then. Why not? If you don't intend on going for the win with your actions (sending your best team over), then why stop at Nate. Cotton wool for Martin Prather etc. Such a frustratingly weak minded opinion to not play your best in Game 2 of a GRAND FINAL.

Reply #581360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The set the precedent earlier in the season by tanking I recall.

Reply #581363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically, I think they will take him (I imgaine they already have) but its still an interesting question. Time will tell if they made the right decision.

I'm in two minds.
As many have said, they should go for the win in game 2, and if you're going for the win, then you take him.
But I can't accept the "10 minutes is better than nothing" argument. By definition that's saying he won't be close to his normal fitness, which means he'll be even worse for G3.
So what would you take? 10 minutes of a sore Jawai in each game? or 20 minutes of a dominating Jawai in game 3? To me, that's a no-brainer.
Same rationale applies to the idea of resting the bench. Jervis is under-utilised anyway, and if you're going to G3, then having more Jawi in G3 is better. Problem is that maybe even a few days rest in Perth may not be enough. Hard to call that one.

The question about his weight is an on-going one, but irrelevant at this point. It is only a question of what gives them the best chance in the Grand Final series. When that's over, attention will return to that question.

Reply #581391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was on plane to Auckland of course he is playing it's all or nothing, we aren't talking about a seven game series.

Reply #581394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just saw ABC news clip on this and a reporter asked him if he thought about staying back (he said he pulled up sore after Game 1). He said no way what if they win then I won't even be able to be with my teammates.

Reply #581410 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

That's the ultimate problem isn't it. If he's gonna make the flights, even for moral support) the damage is done and he might as well play.

Reply #581411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah don't underestimate the importance of team chemistry. Jawai is best used in spurts anyway so hopefully they can nurse him through these last couple of games.

Reply #581417 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yes I said Larry Sengstock medallist and I mean it, I sure would put him ahead of Prather and Beal at this stage and most of the Breakers.

His 5 fouls will come in handy and at worst he will be trusted by Trev more than a DP replacement

Reply #581424 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul you may as well leave a few more back in Perth then. Why not?"

Because the others don't have back complaints that could be significantly impacted by two six-hour flights. For me, Jawai at 90% in one game is a potential match-winner, as we saw in Game 1, whereas him at 70% for two games isn't. They only need to win one.

Reply #581426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree with your angle on this. He is travelling anyways now, so someone at the Cats has some sense.

Reply #581455 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754