Ugly Igley
Years ago

Grizzlies waive James Ennis

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/grizzlies/Grizzlies-re-sign-center-Ryan-Hollins-waive-James-Ennis-370805481.html

Topic #39105 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

I hope Perth have their cheque book ready :P

Reply #581282 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That would be something

Reply #581287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three imports

Martin
Beal
Prather
Ennis
Knight OR Jervis

You can already book a GF birth with that loaded team

Reply #581294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the 36ers are calling ennis and prathers agents to see if we can snare either of them

Reply #581298 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Lisch, Ennis and Prather

or

Beal, Ennis and Prather

OR

Ennis, Prather AND DUNIGAN!

Reply #581311 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

A Beal, Prather, Ennis combination would be heaven.

Reply #581315 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isn't there still going to be a salary cap?

Reply #581318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis, Prather and Baron Davis sounds better.

Reply #581320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is a long-term Hawks player or will probably sign with the Kings depending on what Bevo does. I cant see him moving back to Perth.

Reply #581321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at locking in a GF with three imports. Haven't you heard all clubs will get three imports not just the 'Cats.

Any club can turn around their fortunes massively if they hit 3/3 studs.

Reply #581326 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Lock him up asap!

Reply #581345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They are looking at increasing the cap. Plus there is the marquee rule anyway. Plus some teams already ignore the cap including the amount that I heard that they'd possibly increase to.

Reply #581358 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Isaac: Which teams? You should send your concerns to the NBL straight away! They need to know.

Isaac: If they do increase the cap, add the asian player spot and so on are you expecting any major changes to happen. Will townsville hang in there? How would Adelaide go?

Reply #581364 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I struggle to see how the Asian player rule will benefit any team but I'm sure Perth will find a way.

Reply #581383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean NZ will. Tai Wesley vs. Earnest Ross. LOL

Reply #581386 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Can somebody that follows NBA explain exactly what this means?
My understanding is that Ennis has been mostly assigned to their D-League affiliate anyway? Does this mean he's nolonger connected with the Grizzlies in any way?
What are his chances of remaining in the system? Picking up 10-day contracts like say McRae?
More to the point, what are his chances for next season? Presumably he'll go back to the D-League and keep trying and then Europe would have to be an option?

Reply #581395 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Questions for Perth:
Can they keep Prather?
Is Ennis better at 3 or 4?
Can they lure Lisch back?
Was the story about Beal getting naturalised just a furphy?
Is Martin contracted?
Would any of the above crack the sads if asked to start on the bench?

Reply #581396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STFU?

Reply #581397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo has a player option. I'm sure he will be a Cat next season and finish his career as a Cat HOF

Lisch would be unrealistic as stated before, his wife is from NSW and most likely ill stay in that region.

Ennis is big enough to play the 4 in the NBL. He will command big dollars in Europe and Prathr coming back ho knows?. He certainly looks like he loves it in Perth

Reply #581398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No furphy with Beal.

Reply #581403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Martin
SG - Lisch
SF - Prather
PF - Ennis
C - Knight
6th - Beal (can back up both guard spots)
Jervis at C if the Wildcats want to give a bigger look.

Thoughts?

Reply #581405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that line up would be awesome offensively but would get killed on the glass which is one of Perth's biggest strengths

Reply #581407 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dazz,

When a player in the NBA is waived they go onto the waiver wire where every other team starting from the team with the worst record can decide to sign the player on the contract terms they were on with their previous team. If every team passes then he becomes a free agent and will no longer have ties with the Grizzlies or any other team.

He can go back to the D-League (or anywhere else for that matter). You don't actually sign with a specific D-League team, you sign a contract with the league (up to about $25K a season) and then the various teams can pick you up. This just happened with Baron Davis trying to make an NBA comeback he signed a contract with the D-League in January but no team picked him up until today when the Delaware 87ers (Philly 76ers affiliate) signed him.

If you're Ennis realistically with the Chinese league wrapping up (their league MVP Michael Beasley is about to sign with Houston) and the Euro leagues coming to a close he's best trying to sign on with a D-League team and hope another NBA team likes what they see and picks him up.

Next season who knows.

Reply #581409 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Thanks Zodiac,
So does anybody play in the NBA off-season? What about the Summer League, would he be chance of getting a gig there?

Anon #403,
Do you have any further news on the Beal story?

Anon #405,
Yeas, that would be one truly awesome line-up, especially if you consider that Knight could start at centre, and also backup the 4. SO if you come up against a team with a massive line-up on the court, we could run Ennis, Knight, and Jervis.

Anon #407,
Sorry, but I disagree.
Ennis is one of the best rebounders we've had in recent years, Knight is our leading rebounder, whilst Jervis leads in rebounds per minute
Martin, Prather, Hire, and Wagstaff are also good.
Although Lisch may be a pipe-dream, he is also better rebounder than Beal, so reality is that the line-up suggested would be awesome on the boards.

Reply #581412 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It would have its good and bad nights.
Ennis at the 4 is a bad idea IMO. Why put him in that position? He'd get abused like Oscar Forman does. He's just about the ideal 3 IMO.

Reply #581413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree, Ennis would handle himself at the 4 much better than Forman. Better rebounder and defender. If I'm not mistaken he was just about the leading rebounder for us when he was here and that was playing at the 3. How many "beat you up in the post 4s" are there in this league anyway? The toughest time he might have is guarding Matt Knight at training!

Might also be tough keeping the Vukonas of the world off the boards, but he wouldn't be a pushover.

Reply #581415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why put him at the 4? Because he would be able to hold his own on D, and would probably destroy whoever is on him down the other end, starting outside and either shooting the 3 or blowing by with superior quickness.

If we played a small line-up like that we'd probably see a fair bit of swarming, pressing defense too, which with Martin, Prather and Ennis on the floor could work pretty well.

Reply #581416 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He's an excellent rebounder, no doubt. Guess what, so is Damian Martin. That does not qualify him to play the 4 spot.
Yes Ennis could do it, but it's making poor use of his skill set IMO. Additionally he is a foul-prone defender, which is far more costly at the 4 than the 3, because in the paint he'd be physically challenged constantly. He'd get his share of swats, and he'd also spend far too long on the bench in foul trouble.

That's the way I see it anyway. I really don't see why he wouldn't be played at the 3 spot. Makes much better use of his athleticism being able to get a running start at rebounds rather than being camped underneath them and having to use strength for positioning. It's just not his game.

Reply #581418 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Guys, you do realise that Ennis is over 2.0m?
He's actually taller than players like Conklin, Vukona, etc, not to mention his greater athleticism.
The question would be his strength, and bulk. At 95kg he's probably a little light for a PF, but that's nothing a bit of time in the gym won't fix.

Anyway, the question is IF he could play the 4, and the answer is yes.
Most of the better teams try to incorporate some flexibility, and that proposed line-up would. Even your "starting" 5 rarely plays together for more than half the game.
The great advantage that Ennis brings, is that he could play 3 or 4. A rotation including Ennis, Knight, and Jervis would put aside any concerns over being beaten up.

Anyway, the line-up mooted, awesome as it may be, is simply a wish-list at this point.
The only known points of Perth's team next season are Martin, Jervis, and Wagstaff. Still a lot of what-ifs to be answered.

If the question is "who would you prefer at SF, Ennis or Prather?" The answer is "both."

Reply #581422 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the game was going to be called the same way it was when Ennis was here last he could probably play PF, but I don't see that happening again when the league's motto in hardball!

I think you can use him there in spurts, but to play him big minutes is just going to wear him down, teams will make him defend on-balls and post-ups relentlessly, and he's a guy who gets a bit lost defensively as it is.

Reply #581427 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I doubt Ennis would come back to the NBL.
He seemed pretty pissed about that whole MVP thing.

Geez, I hope he does come back though....beast!!

Reply #581433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think the "MVP thing" would stop him coming back, if anything it would give him a reason to if he's ego really is that big.

Reply #581439 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

I think the Cats should be looking to sign Prather before going after anyone else at this point. Especially when the cap increases. Get you're own house in order before anything else.

Reply #581445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis has been suggested to line up at the 4 on the assumption prather stays. Of the two he is more capable. Obviously it will be matchup orientated and you don't have to play him there the whole game. If you're playing a tan which is beastly inside then you might play the knight/Jervis 4/5 combo more. But you might open/close with that 'A' lineup with your biggest weapons all on the floor.

You guys realise the warriors best line up is the one where they play curry/klay/Iggy/Barnes/green. And just switch everything. The results are outstanding but they only use this lineup to finish the game mainly.

Comparing Ennis to Martin isn't fair. There is an obvious height/athleticism difference there

Reply #581447 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Depending on which of those purported rule changes get up, it could be a whole new ball-game. 4 local Marquees could really change the face of the team.

Reply #581459 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

My concern is how many teams are gonna burn out trying to fund their teams to basically 'catch up' to the others if these new rules come in. Adelaide, Townsville even Cairns could crash and burn.

Reply #581465 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

One other thing.

Am I wrong in thinking that one of the main reasons Ennis picked the NBL was because it was to help out his family financially? (I have this faint memory of him only having a single parent / illness ? and a lot of siblings.?)

Id love to see him back in Cat's Red as much as the next fan

Reply #581468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathew I'm with you, even the Kings don't have a lot cash. I can only see three clubs that this benifts, NZ, Melbourne and Perth.

Reply #581469 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Sydneys owners and their presence in decision making have been almost as mysterious as the collection of Owners of the Wellington Phoenix in the A League. Ill never understand either.

Its possible these rules changes wont happen. Kestleman would obviously be canvasing each club.

Reply #581473 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Guys, you do realise that Ennis is over 2.0m?
He's actually taller than players like Conklin, Vukona, etc, not to mention his greater athleticism."

And Vukona is 6"5.5 and Conklin is 6"6 - so by your logic Vukona and Conklin should play SG/SF?

Height doesn't simply dictate position. Vukona and Conklin can't play SG/SF because they don't have the skill to play that position.

Equally, Ennis isn't suited to PF because he doesn't have the skill to excel at that position.

Vukona and Conklin have never played SG/SF AFAIK and never will, so why expect Ennis to just change position at the drop of a hat?

Reply #581476 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

My understanding of the new rules (yet to be officially announced) is that there will be a tax when clubs go 'over the cap', to be distributed to the clubs that are less financial, so teams like TSV and CNS will benefit from Perth and NZ overspending.

It may not be enough to help them win championships but will help make the league competitive without the smaller clubs having to jeopardise their finances.

Reply #581488 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Matthew,
Yes you are correct about his original reason for choosing the NBL over D-League.
That said, he is also on records about what a pleasant surprise it was, how much he loved Australia and Perth.
If he's a chance of another NBA contract, there's no question he'd prefer that. He would presumably hope to pick up a gig in the Summer League and impress enough to get picked up again. If that doesn't happen, he would presumably consider other options including Europe, NBL, etc.
Depends on what rules get up. Simply changing to 3 imports, (or even staying at 2), would make him attractive as a marquee player. However if we chance to the touted "4 marquee locals" rule that could chance everything.

As for whether he should play 3 or 4, we'd just have to wait and see.
Ignoring everything else, in a perfect squad, he would be BEST (ie awesome) at SF, but there's no denying that he COULD also play the 4. (Whilst accepting that he would struggle if he came up against the equivalent of Knight, Motum, Kickert, etc playing at PF.)

As I said, even assuming we could lock him in as coming back to Perth, we have to wait and see what the rules are, and who else Perth locks in.
As for other teams chasing him, assuming their squads are wide open, they'd be better chasing him for the 3.

Reply #581493 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I don't understand how a team like Cairns can be considered "less financial" when it's one of the only teams to post a profit.

Just because it reportedly chooses to spend to a budget shouldn't mean it benefits from other teams' spending.

Reply #581499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it is set in concrete that Cairns will benefit from other teams overspending.
We should be mindful the NBL is owned by the owners of NBL teams. It is in their best interest to have an even comp and relatively even playing field and not have teams uncompetitive or in danger of folding. The long term aim must be to have a TV deal where the NBL is paid for TV rights. Having competitive teams in many centres will help this.

Reply #581517 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't understand how a team like Cairns can be considered "less financial" when it's one of the only teams to post a profit.

Just because it reportedly chooses to spend to a budget shouldn't mean it benefits from other teams' spending.
The tax isn't supposed to prop teams up that can't afford to stay in the league, it's supposed to help teams spend money on their roster if they can't afford it.

If you're over the cap, you pay luxury tax. If you're under the cap, you receive luxury tax. What other money is coming in or going out doesn't matter.

Reply #581729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Prather dosent improve in game 3 his asking price$$$$$$$$$$$$$ will go down. He has been just pathetic in the first two games.

Reply #581732 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

What if you can afford it but choose not to spend to the cap? That's what I don't understand.

If a team is profitable, it should be able to spend to the cap shouldn't it? Or is it profitable because it doesn't spend to the cap?

Reply #581733 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Currently the tax imposed for marquee salary over the cap is 25%. As far as I am aware, that money is simply collected by the NBL. Whilst many people have discussed the idea of returning the tax to poorer clubs, I have read nothing to indicate that was implemented.
Going back and reading an interview with Fearne when it was announced, there was no mention of Cairns receiving a benefit.

Even if it were, its only 25%.
There are probably only 3 teams that could afford to spend big, but let's say there's 4. Say they overspend on average by $500k. That's a total overspend of $2M, and a tax of $500k. Spread between 5 other teams that would be $100k each. Handy, but not equalising.
Even if you doubled that, it would give the lesser teams an extra $200k to compete with those spending an extra $1M.

The rationale behind a single marquee player, is that grabbing one Euro~quality player, or super-star ex NBA player, whilst obviously advantageous, is only marginally so. So even if you had the cash, a $500k will be better than a $200k player, but not twice as good, and not enough to make your team unstoppable.
But up to 4 marquees? The ability to stack your 5 with $400k players? She-it.
On top of that, with upto 4 marquee players, that still leaves you with $1M to spend on 6 players, so you can still afford a couple of $200k+ imports.

Reply #581735 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And here's the other thing. I know a lot of dribblers say "oh the NBL is shit, all our best players are in Europe or America". But so what?
Is spending a lot more money on players really going to translate to more bums on seats or TV revenue?

I realise there are those who follow the careers of individual Australians, like some form of religion. And you CLAIM that you would hate the NBL less if Andersen, Broekhoff, Motum, Newley and Maric were all enticed home. But how many extra bums on seats would they really attract?

People at the moment are going nuts over Randle, and that's great. Does anybody really care that if you had $2M to spend on salaries, you could
have gotten a more expensive player?

People complain that the league is "dominated" by Perth and NZ now. Do we really want to see what happens if these proposals got through?
Do we really want to see MU buy a couple of 'ships, then collapse into a black-hole when LK and his mates get bored of pissing their money away?

Reply #581737 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

On top of that, with upto 4 marquee players, that still leaves you with $1M to spend on 6 players, so you can still afford a couple of $200k+ imports.
At present, the marquee player still counts against the cap for $150k (or $250k, I don't recall). They're not free. I see no reason that would change.

Reply #581739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People complain that the league is "dominated" by Perth and NZ now. Do we really want to see what happens if these proposals got through?
Do we really want to see MU buy a couple of 'ships, then collapse into a black-hole when LK and his mates get bored of pissing their money away?

This in a nutshell, get sustainability in all clubs and try and get twelve teams solid.

Reply #581745 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"If a team is profitable, it should be able to spend to the cap shouldn't it? Or is it profitable because it doesn't spend to the cap?"

It just means it has a budget and sticks to it. Just because CNS make a profit doesn't mean it is a huge profit that they can throw away to spend to the cap. It just means they budget well and don't make a loss, meaning they are a sustainable team.

Reply #581783 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Currently the tax imposed for marquee salary over the cap is 25%. As far as I am aware, that money is simply collected by the NBL."

Money is distributed to clubs who are under the cap.

Reply #581793 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

People keep saying that (and I think its a good idea) but I have never seen anything official.
Besides, As I said, distributing 25% amongst upto 5 teams doesn't make equality.
Furthemore, if it is only distributed to teams UNDER the cap, then that is a long way short.

Kober, I have never heard that. Everything I ever read said the Marquee player was a free hit above the salary cap.
If they are going to introduce 4 marquees, then they obviously can't be worth $250k each to a $1M cap.
Even $150k would make no sense.

That said, I have still only seen that one article suggesting this 4 marquee rule change, so who knows what the details are. Maybe a teams can't have both? Perhaps the number of imports reduces the spots available for local marquees?

Reply #581799 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Wildcats are yet to decide whether they will take advantage of the new marquee import rule, to be introduced next season.

The rule will see nine players at each club contracted under a salary cap of $850,000, with a marquee player allowed to be paid outside the cap.

But any money the marquee player is paid above a $150,000 ceiling will attract a 25 per cent luxury tax, which will go into a central pool to be redistributed by the league.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/22830729/wildcats-confident-of-keeping-key-players/

Reply #581801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754