Anonymous
Years ago

Marvin: Gleeson can have as long a contract as he wants

Interesting comments from Marvin in today's West saying gleeson can have as long a contract as he wants. Whilst 2 titles in 3 years deserves to be rewarded hopefully Marvin doesn't get too carried away. He is still the boss and should be making calculated decisions.

He also feels this year's recruiting had no mistakes and consequently they will try and bring everyone back. I don't mind that approach generally speaking but would caution that other teams will be looking to improve.

Finally he said on face value he doesn't envisage it being too difficult to bring everyone back. Wonder if that also applies to prather?

Topic #39131 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Link to the article:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/31037249/cats-focus-turns-to-gleeson-deal/

Reply #582330 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

To their credit the Wildcats didn't really make any recruiting mistakes this year.

Greenwood's judas move was blessing in disguise too.

Kenny - solid pick up and we really lucked out with him

Prather - the anti-Daniels and the "Ennis-type" we needed last season.

Jawai - X-factor.

The team ended up being balanced quite well, so you can argue that the exact same team next year should be able to get the job done.

Can't see us keeping Jawai though.

Reply #582332 | Report this post

"but would caution that other teams will be looking to improve."

Same thing was said last year, and the year before that...and the year before that...

Reply #582333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You reply to that Chalmers as though it won't matter what teams do to recruit Perth won't be beaten? If that wasn't the correct interpretation then what did you mean by it? Gleeson like any coach these days is a only as good as the talent. If the cats Keep bringing in solid imports then Trev will look great. He doesn't seem the type to be able to work well with a lesser roster though. In fact he would struggle big time and whinge more than humanly possible.

Reply #582338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have always thought Gleeson was a solid coach and usually gets good results with a talented roster, he did really well in Townsville imo, with less resources than he would have had in Perth

Similar to Joey really

I dont think Gleeson, Joey or Bevo would really win heaps with a weaker roster to be honest, at best they would be like a Shawn Dennis at Townsville this year.

Given he has won 2 titles in 3 years, Bevo only won 1 title with Perth in longer, and he seems to be happy to have the more entertaining, athletic imports, which i beleive was one thing Bevo and Marvin had differing opinions on, with Bevo prefering to stick with just the solid Aussies and ran with guys like Tovey or Weigh instead of a import sf,

So Gleeson seems like a good fit, and if they can keep most of the roster together they will be tough to beat.

Kenny was one of the best value pick ups for mine, and he should have a long term career in the NBL, he clearly shoulda been in the NBL already, so good pick up by Gleeson and the Wildcats.

Reply #582344 | Report this post

I'm not saying Perth can't ever be beaten. I'm just saying that the same comment gets trotted out every off season. Have a look at the teams with the most titles in the past 7 years, then look at the teams with the most stability. I am putting more value in keeping a strong roster together than teams chopping and changing to try and "improve".

"He doesn't seem the type to be able to work well with a lesser roster though. In fact he would struggle big time and whinge more than humanly possible."

So you're not familiar with his years in Townsville?

Reply #582345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very wel aware, those teams were very talented.

Reply #582348 | Report this post

Ted  
Years ago

"He doesn't seem the type to be able to work well with a lesser roster though. In fact he would struggle big time and whinge more than humanly possible."

Clearly a very uneducated comment. Gleeson won COTY in Townsville and made the playoffs 5 years in a row with a similar budget to what Dennis has. Another thing that often goes unsaid is that Gleeson also managed to better the previous year when he was in Melbourne and that was with very trying circumstances.
He's the best coach in the NBL and clearly Marvin can see that and doesn't want to lose it.

Reply #582350 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I am a self confessed Gleeson critic. I just don't think he is a great "in game" coach. When things arent working to the game plan or for some reason things aren't going our way he always seems to be a play or 4 too late to call a time out or make a change. I guess though with the talent in the roster multiplied by the large coaching staff behind him scouting etc the game plan is usually on point anyway. Just sometime I feel like he waits to long to make a change or his out of time out plays seem to not hit as often as they miss.

But you can't argue with winning so I guess I will be ok with it and just keep quiet when we get a turnover out of a timeout or are down 10 before making a move.

Reply #582353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys those crocs teams were talented! Don't be so naive, you won't to talk roster depletion look at the Sydney Spirit and what Bevo did with them. Ffs, like said above he isn't that good a in game coach. Cats fans wanted him gone half way through this season. Short memories

Reply #582355 | Report this post

I don't think you'll find too many Cats fans happy to see him stick around.

Reply #582357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats fans are no different to any other sheep like fans. They will be on his nuts starting with Martin who had issues with him earlier this year having to correct something he said in some interview if I remember correctly. He reminds me of Phil Smyth, throw the studs at him and he can run the ranch, once the studs leave, different story.

Reply #582362 | Report this post

Ted  
Years ago

@582355 well good on Gleeson for putting a talented team together on a limited budget then. Are you the same poster that continues to compare Bevo to Gleeson? If so, move on.
This isn't a story about Bevo. If he hadn't been so greedy, he could still be here.

Reply #582363 | Report this post

The only positive thing I can say is that I thought he coached well in the final few games of the season, then for most of the finals. He was a complete tool in game 2 of the GF - even more than normal.

I would prefer another coach.

Reply #582365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ted no I'm not but doesn't surprise me that someone has previously compared the 2. To say they had a tight cap to work with is highly doubtful, Jawai wouldn't have come cheap alone. Cmon

Reply #582368 | Report this post

Ted  
Years ago

I was referring to his time in Townsville, noone can argue that he had much money up there. Cmon. Do your homework.

Reply #582369 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Bring on matt neilson

Reply #582370 | Report this post

Ted  
Years ago

Matt and Gleeson have a great working relationship and Matt has himself admitted that he's not ready for a head coaching gig. There's a hell of lot more that goes into coaching a team that what you see on game night and clearly he's very good at his job from what Marvin says. Good luck to him and I think it's great to see him being rewarded for a job well done.

Reply #582372 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Marvin is a canny operator. Don't mistake euphoric gushes made post championship for him losing his marbles.
But yes, I think its clear it was always Perth's intention to retain Gleeson, and winning cemented that.

Reply #582376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To supernintendo, NZ were the champs last year and Perth improved their roster and chemistry by adding jawai prather Kenny they are now the champs. So yes it is said every year for a reason. Now, this does not mean if you bring back the same team you can't win. Teams have gone back to back and three peated before. But you'd probably either need to be a dominant team, or rely on others not improving that much or having your improvement come from internal as opposed to new players. I think Perth can fit in that latter bracket given the injuries and fitness concerns this year around key players such as Martin prather jawai.

My point was to be cautious by getting over consumed with this year's title and have tunnel vision to bring everyone back at any cost without considering the landscape of the league and your competitors. The gleeson can have as long a contract as he wants comment does smack a little bit of that. He has been very good but sports can change quickly so be careful before handing out huge long term deals.

Not to mention with the rumored three import rule and marquee players rule it is conducive to the arms race heating up and competition quality getting stronger.

Finally, the cats also have quite a few players around the 30 age mark. This can be the time players start to decline so be cautious handing out long term deals which may handcuff the club in a year or two.

Reply #582387 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gleeson is a flog.

Reply #582389 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Annoynomous. That was a decent post. You should get a username to not be confused with other Annoyns.

Reply #582394 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Gleeson is a dual championship winning flog"

There, I fixed it for you.

Reply #582397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SC knows it all. THe Wildcats were well coached all year and if Marvin wants him,STFU everyone else. He's always right.

Reply #582398 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol.

No point arguing with tossers.

Everyone knows Gleeson sucks.

Reply #582399 | Report this post

#398 where did I say anything remotely close to that?

Reply #582400 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nobody is pretending that Gleeson would have won with say Sydney's injuries, or without the squad he has.
But how much more can you ask of your coach than to win the championship?
He's done what no other Cats coach has ever achieved and won two rings in 3 years.
Why on earth would the Cats want to replace him?

The posts by all the Perth Haters above are the definition of pointless.
So Gleeson's a flog, Jawai eats too many cheeseburgers, Wagstaff is dirty, Redhage flops, Dolla aint worth a dime, blah blah blah.
Just so funny how such a shit team, with such a shit coach just won another championship.

Reply #582404 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Fuck up Dazz. Lol

Reply #582406 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Every one blames the coach when things are not going the way we want, end of the day he is the the man in charge.

Unless you guys have been pro coaches and I don't mean at your local rec center you have no f##kn idea what you a dribbling.

Call him what you want, he just got another championship ring, so as long as he gets the results, he can stay.

Copter you ban yourself off here

Reply #582412 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

He's still a flog.

Reply #582413 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not a huge fan of Gleeson I don't like the way he goes about it always whinging (even more so than our Joey) but the guy has won 2 titles in his 3 years with the team.

People used to go on like Bevo was some messiah yet he only won 1 title in his 4 years as coach of the team.

Reply #582418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz god shut up.

Reply #582420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really hope the Alex Loughton rumors are false. He is finished. Pls don't offer him a deal Marvin.

Reply #582421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to put the computer away Dazz. Don't you have a Australia wide wildcats parade to get organised or something?

Reply #582440 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

So much butt hurt on this thread.

Reply #582464 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Dazz - resident Hoops troll feeder haha

Reply #582466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dazz,

Wagstaff is dirty, Redhage flops
Couldn't those things be true and still contribute to the success of a team?

Reply #582472 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Cats have been a good team for a long time and the key has been stability.

They've become a championship team when they’ve added the right pieces alongside the longstanding core. Knight, Redhage, Wagstaff, Lisch/Beal, Martin. They’ve had that group forever, and became dominant when they added the right pieces alongside them (Ennis in 2014, Prather and Jawai in 2016). They fell short when the pieces didn’t quite fit as well, or weren’t quite good enough (Daniels, 2015) or when they had injuries to core players (Redhage, 2011, Martin 2013. Redhage missed the 2015 playoffs too but it wouldn’t have mattered).

They’ve also had stability in the coaching ranks. They had a brilliant coach for four years. He left and they replaced him with someone who is right for their situation: Gleeson is a good coach under the right circumstances: when he has a mature, professional team who can withstand his hard attitude. Perth is that kind of team.

There’s more to it- eg: I haven’t even mentioned their depth. Depth has been a key to their success to. It helps them sustained pressure across 40 minutes of basketball which fits with their game style. How many NBL teams had had the luxury of having Tom Jervis as the 3rd best Centre on their roster?

But stability has been a major key. So yes, keep Gleeson. The interesting decision will be on Redhage. Knight and Martin are no brainers- both still at their peaks. Both continually a major part of the Cats success.

Reply #582483 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Redhage might have played there long enough and with success to make the decision with them. Gleeson might say "You're old and won't get much time at all" (or whatever his view might be) and Redhage can decide if that sounds of interest or like a waste of time. They have enough depth at his position to cover any issues.

They'd be silly to change the rest, bar Jawai. For what they're spending, they could probably find someone to play more minutes. Maybe that's where an import comes in - a replacement centre to help them get it

done again.

Reply #582484 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't want to have the same team back next season, I want us to improve and mind you Cairbs 'improved' their roster last season and went backwards.

I don't want to see Redhage return and I want us to chase Ennis hard (I think Dolla with a chip on his shoulder because he is 6th man is what will bring out the best in him). I also think that Perth have a great culture and if that means that other players want to come here, then we'd be silly to not look at them.

Would be fun to have another rookie of the year contender in the squad.

Rhys Vague is a DP and 19, is he going to be a decent player ?

I don't mind Trev but I think he makes a brilliant assistant coach, so if Forde, Nielsen and the other dude give him great insight before he addresses his team during time outs then Trev fits the criteria we need as I think he recruits well and scouts well and seems to encourage a good culture

Reply #582513 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Every Fan wants to see improvement, I'd just prefer it to be gradual.

If the PPR system is scrapped, then Redhage retires, period. Hopefully he stays fit, so he could come back as injury replacement if needed...

Vague looks promising, but would need to see a lot more of him to really judge.

Reply #582515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone so keen to send redhage into retirement? Yes he's declined since his best days but his role is a lot smaller these days and I thought he was reasonably effective in the role, especially in the grand final series! If he's happy to play that role then why not keep him? I think he's done enough for this club over the years that he should have a fair say about when he's finished

Reply #582526 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/38616-how-much-longer-can-redhage-play-on/

Reply #582527 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"a replacement centre to help them get it"

Ekene Ibweke would be nice.

Martin/Kenny
Lisch/Hire
Ennis/Coenraad
Knight/Wagstaff
Ebekwe/Jervis

Reply #582528 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Dazz is actually spot on!
Redhage should sign a 2 year off the bench contract.
Proud - Cairns improved with Wortho but losing Wilbekin made that move less effective. He made us last season!

Reply #582532 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Redhage should stay. Every championship team needs that savy bench veteran.

Reply #582533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, maybe my "done again" replacement-centre joke was too subtle? ;)

Reply #582543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns didnt improve they lost Wilbekin and Starks proved to be a lesser version.

Reply #582584 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gleeson is still a flog.

Reply #582591 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

ROFLOGcopter

Reply #582608 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Have a look at the teams with the most titles in the past 7 years, then look at the teams with the most stability."

This. Perth and NZ are the obvious ones, but the Hawks under McLeod overachieved by keeping a core together. There will always be changes, but if you're onto a good thing stick with it as much as possible.

Reply #582609 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@ROFL: have you ever met him?

Reply #582640 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I have met Gleeson. At a Members function after the game, he had a talk to a lot of people (Ive only ever attended 2 because like most people I head into town after the game to get home).

He spoke pretty honestly (it was mid Jan and the game was vs Sydney when Prather scored 27). I saw him in there for about an hour talking to people and the players mixed around with the members. I didnt get to ask him anything, but was certainly listening in on conversations he was having with people. Hes the kinda person who speaks from the heart and probably more often than not lets his passion control him.. I dont mind that. Not every Coach can be cold and calm.

Reply #582646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good insight Mathew, sometimes external images are not what they are. Never judge a book by its cover. :)

Reply #582649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame that so many people judge TG and will never meet him yet they always are so right.

Reply #582650 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Spot on Matthew.

I know him really well in fact he's on my good mates list & he is an absolute cracker of a bloke!

Whilst working he certainly gets on the refs a bit & his players but he says he has too.

Off the hardwood i love the bloke & look fwd to our next beer.

Oh a haters 2 flags mean he can also coach! Period!!

Reply #582668 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The fact that Marvin is keen to have Gleeson back for as long as he wants speaks volumes. He obviously sees a lot in him. Haters gonna hate but he's obviously a decent coach.

Reply #582670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised. Marvin has no idea or is just talking sh_t. Just a management theory guy.

Go on give TG a contract for life then. Doubt it.

Reply #583162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that Marvin likes him means TG doesn't rock his boat. That's all.

Reply #583169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any sports administrator with half a brain doesn't say a coach can stay as long as he likes. LMAO how amateurish!

Reply #583171 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Any sports administrator with half a brain doesn't say a coach can stay as long as he likes.
Yeah, you do, when said coach has just won his 2nd ring in 3 years, is out of contract, and a multi-billion dollar company has just taken over a rival team and is knocking on his door.

Reply #583180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, you don't.

Gleeson is not the single greatest coach to have ever existed. He can be replaced if he leaves. On the other hand, being stuck with him thirty years from now is a potential problem.

Reply #583183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:52 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754