RMQ
Years ago

NBL trade scenarios - who says no?

If NBL teams could trade players, what are some realistic trades you would make this off-season?

Topic #39134 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would trade Clint Steindl & Corey Maynard to United for Todd Blanchfield and Kyle Adnam.

Then if I was United i would trade Tomlinson, Holt and Majok for Childress.

What are your thoughts on both sides for those trades?

Reply #582534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another I just thought of - Jawai to Cairns for Loughton and Bruce

Reply #582535 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

If I was Townsville I'd only offer Steindl and hold on to Maynard.

Tomlinson Holt and Majok for Childress - no deal. Don't see how that benefits Melb!

Reply #582536 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Jawai to Cairns for Loughton to Perth is good.

As Perth I'd then trade Loughton plus 1 for Steindl

Reply #582537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would you trade Webster for Steindl straight up?

Reply #582538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just a random one for the hell of it.

Lucas Walker for Tim Coenraad. Hawks need rebounding, 36ers could use a shooter. Who says no?

Reply #582539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's not bad!
Adel could use a shooter to give Randle a bit more space

Reply #582540 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Walker for Coenraad could work.

Bevo could get Walkers attitude right, and Coenraad cuold flourish as a spot up shooter next to Randle.

Reply #582542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Webster for Steindl? NZ would be insane, assuming the bad blood's been repaired. And even if it hasn't, they could surely try for something more.

Reply #582544 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'assuming the bad blood's been repaired. And even if it hasn't'.

Is this what caused mid season rift?

Any more info??

Reply #582547 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If I was an NBL team I wouldn't go near Walker. It's not that he is a bad player, i just wouldn't know how to use him. He's a tweener, a sub-par shooter, inconsistent scorer etc. He needs to find a role and become very good at it.

NZ should ask for a McDonald-Kenny trade ;)

My personal opinion is that Cairns doesn't have anybody that i would want on my team - is that just me? I don't know what it is but when i look at that team, they just strike me as players who are either on the decline, regressed substantially or you have reservations about how well they could go in another system (Gliddon, Bruce, Loughton, Weight etc.). It's strange but I just don't see any Cairns players (except for Craig of course who is a stud) as THAT desirable. Has that isolated Fearne system devalued them?

Reply #582549 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'd take Matt Burston on my team anyday, can still remember when he played for the 36ers briefly.

I would also take Wortho if the circumstances were right i.e. money, his role to be specific etc.

Craig is a no-brainer, would love the 36ers to snaffle him we'll' give them Ere & Walker for him ;)

Reply #582551 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

orbit, already enough out there about it.

From Cairns, I think Burston is a valuable defensive centre. Also wouldn't rule out Gliddon or Bruce, Worthington at the right price or Craig. Bruce seemed pretty useful to me.

Reply #582559 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Isaac, which thread?

Ive missed it all...

Reply #582570 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dozens of threads, plus a column on the FIBA website.

Reply #582571 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^he's not asking about comments from Dazz ;)

Reply #582572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress and Connolly package deal for lisch and bevo. Sydney gets two franchise culture changers they desperately need to reboot. Hawks owner spenceley loves American hype and flair and gets that in spades in Childress and Connolly, two natural showmen. Childress is a genuine franchise player too who might just need a fresh start after a bad run of injuries

Reply #582574 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If such a system were in place, I wonder if we would need to see 3, or even 4 way deals?
Team needs a SG, has an extra PF to trade, someone else has the SG, but wants a PG, etc...

Whilst we're at it, what would your team offer for Greg Hire?

Reply #582576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Greg hire for Cody Ellis deal seems to make sense. Wollongong were starting Ellis at the 4 late in the season but hire would help solve their rebounding woes. He is not as good of a shooter but that's less of a concern when you're surrounded by the Hawks army of elite shooters.

Meanwhile, the cats are good enough on the boards as it is and could use more shooting to keep the floor spread for jawai and knight. Ellis is also the son of a club legend

Reply #582578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season i would have traded Ebi and Gibbo for Torrey Craig and even given Cairns some cash too.

An NBA one i would love to see (sorry for going off topic) is Chris Paul to Cavs for Kyrie Irving,

Who says no??

Reply #582579 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

For Greg Hire I'd offer a few bottles of Gatorade.

Reply #582590 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree with MACDUB in relation to Lucas Walker , he seems a victim of the lack of clubs, I could imagine him being a star at a Geelong Supercats type team like Simon Kerle was, went from benchwarmer to scoring 50 or more. He struggles to know his place and if he was 2nd or 3rd best player then he would have some terrific games undoubtedly... Remember he has won player of the week awards throughout his career.

I like Burston a lot and his body standing up wa my issue with him but his career in Cairns has been very good, not just production but staying on court.

I'd love to find a way to get Steindl to Perth.

I think during the season I said Jett for Holt but Jett became more of a shooting guard throughout the season.

Kickert and some extra marshmallows for Wagstaff and Hire

Reply #582596 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Surprised nobody wants to trade Markovic out of Sydney so far

Reply #582597 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'd be tempted to trade Webster for Torrey Craig.

Think Craig could be a stud in NZ's system.

Craig would bring added defence. You could run him at SG.

Thought we got too reliant on three point shooting at certain times throughout the year.

Would value having someone who can attack and penetrate like Craig.

If hypothetically, we lost Webster and Ced, I wouldn't mind this lineup:

Holt/Illi
Craig/Bartlett
Abercrombie/Te Rangi
Vukona/Wesley
Ibekwe/Pledger

Reply #582600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit offensive to Cairns to offer Ebi!

Reply #582601 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Webster had a down patch, but you're talking about the league's leading scorer up until that point, at a fairly efficient rate too. No way would NZ trade him, but if they did it would be for someone elite or they'd be selling themselves short.

Reply #582603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've heard about how progressive this new NBL management is - do you guys think there is any chance of trades becoming a reality in the future? Even if it's only permitted in the off-season like AFL? I guess the NBL hasn't had the stability and guys with long-term contracts for this really to be an issue in recent years.

I'm pretty sure that I've read that every Wollongong and Perth player is potentially out of contract this off-season (pending decisions on player/team options). Which makes trading a bit redundant I guess when such a high percentage of the player pool are free agents.

But stability I think is starting to increase.

Or perhaps a mid-season trade window?

Reply #582700 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Post Christmas trade period would keep the NBL relevant in a period where they are not seem not heard

Reply #582722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would trade RMQ out of Perth.

Reply #583170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For Greg Hire I'd offer a few bottles of Gatorade."

Too generous imo.

Reply #583172 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Heck no. RMQ is a proven performer and has plenty of good seasons left in him yet.
And that's without bringing his DJ skillz into the mix.

Reply #583174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't want to trade him because you omitted the DJing. Add it in and you want him gone.

Reply #583175 | Report this post

AnonyMoose  
Years ago

RMQ - Why, oh WHY would you trade Loughton?!? A known WA kid (Joondalup) and then get Steindl instead. One of the biggest knocks on the Cats is their very distinct ability to not connect with the WA Basketball public through recruiting kids from WA (Burston, Bruton, Cattalini - his best years IMO were in adelaide; Gliddon, Loughton, Wortho, DJ, Armour... the list goes on!) Now you have that chance and you want to trade for him - wow you really are some kind of special.

#170 & #175 were on the money, maybe we trade you and your POOR DJ skills out of WA - Yes POOR, that's why the Cats don't want you because you have the crowd reading ability of a blind, deaf mute kid with low social skills! & your likeness for anything top 20 rather than real music is also a drawback.

Reply #583179 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who cares where players come from?

And...Armour? Are you serious?

Reply #583182 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754