Anonymous
Years ago

Omar Samhan ditches NW Thunder

Why'd he ditch the NW Thunder? Was it because he put together a few decent games for the crocs and could get more in Puerto Rico?

Topic #39149 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should look at him if Jawai bolts

Reply #582941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would anyone trust a player that clearly breached his contract with NWT? He might get and NBL contract but IMO he is untrustworthy and there is still a question of him being sued by NWT for breach of contract.

Reply #582943 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No doubt after his better than average showing in the NBL his stock rose and his agent fielded a better paying offer.

Reply #582945 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I don't rate him.

Reply #582946 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Neither do I really but a team in Puerto Rico clearly does and that's all he and his agent would care about apologies to NW Tassie Thunder fans but once he got a call from Townsville unless he flopped big time in the NBL it was always going to be unlikely he would fulfil his original SEABL agreement.

I assume NWT would've started making alternative plans the moment the Crocs signed him just in case.

Reply #582949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has dodgy written all over him. I wouldn't touch him at all, from some of the things ive heard. Look at his resume, ALOT of different stops. That's never a good sign.

Reply #582952 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It can also mean he chases the money.

Have you seen Jerome Randle's resume?

Aliaga (Turkey)
Turk (Turkey)
Barak (Israel)
Texas (D-League)
Maine (D-league)
BC Azovmash (Ukraine)
Foshan (China)*
Spirou (Belgium)
Ailaga (Turkey)
Trabzonspor (Turkey)
Eskisehir (Turkey)
Adelaide, NBL
Zalgiris (Lithuania)

*Never played a game

Reply #582955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sure, it could be that. Could also be he has red flags.... who knows.

Reply #582956 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Who says he breeched his contract?

Last I heard he wasn't going to Tassie anyway, but was going to play in NZ.
Even assuming he'd actually signed a contract, (and there is a big difference and often delay between saying "yes I'll come" and actually signing a contract) how do you know it didn't have an out clause?
In NBL contracts have then (for major leagues) its not unreasonable to expect a SEABL contract would have several out options.

At the end of the day, these are players who don't agree to come and play in the SEABL (or SBL etc) because they're looking for a career there. Rather they hope its a stepping stone to bigger & better things. The teams benefit from their stay, but also take the risks.

Reply #582959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Dazz we know the story he had signed with the Thunder and then simply walked out once the NZ offer came along. Untrustworthy at the very least.
There wouldn't be an out cluse for the NZBL either.

Reply #582960 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Samhan is averaging 14 and 10 in PR, so continuing his good end of season form.

Reply #582965 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So a player who moves on to better things is untrustworthy?
What about a team that cuts a player after 1~2 games?

Most of these journeymen type guys leave it up to their agents anyway, so it has nothing to do with trust or honesty.

Reply #583002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's untrustworthy if he signs a contract and walks after getting a better offer for sure.

Reply #583005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, there are some red flags with this guy, BUT in general, its a business so personally Id be getting my agent to maximise my potential earnings for as long possible. Loyalty to a team is for local league players these days.

Reply #583013 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't know about the red flags, but his personality seems abrasive on the court, but could be the best teammate in the world off it.

Couldn't care less about a guy not honoring an SEABL commitment to go make more money overseas in a top level competition, to be honest.

Reply #583015 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He's untrustworthy if he signs a contract and walks after getting a better offer for sure.
So, Wilbekin, Motum, etc, etc, etc, are ALL "untrustworthy"???
Just about every season we hear of somebody who was "signed" suddenly getting an offer to play in Europe.
Plus as I said, chances are he doesn't even know where Tasmania is, he'd be leaving it all to his agent.
Dazz, there are some red flags with this guy
Such as?
Look, as I have often said, I love loyalty and stability. I love guys like Ricky Grace, who came to Perth and never left. But moving from team to team is not a red flag, especially for guys that are still trying to establish themselves.
I don't follow the Euro leagues, but when you look at the resume of anyone that has come form there, it reads the same.
his personality seems abrasive on the court
From the little I have read, Samhan has a great sense of humour and is usually self-deprecating.

Reply #583018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the point in citing examples of nothing to do with 3/5 of FA!

Dazz do you actually know what an EU out clause is? If you do please explain to us all how TF that relates to taking a better offer in New Zealand.

Reply #583019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insert image of Dazz copy and pasting 1000 different documents to do with EU out clause.

Reply #583027 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anonytroll(s),
You're asserting he's "untrustworthy" because he left "after getting a better offer".
I'm pointing out that players do that all the time, including in Australia, and who knows how many hundreds across the sport, every season.
So get a fucking crayon and join the dots.

You're asserting he signed a binding contract, despite offering no evidence he did.

You're also asserting that if indeed he did sign a contract, it would not have an out clause, which is nonsense. Nobody in their right mind would sign on in a BF bush-league without the ability to leave if they get a better offer.
As I have tried to explain to you, professional international athletes don't move to Tasmania just so they can marry their cousins. It's a stepping stone, they are looking to showcase their talent in the very hopes of "getting a better offer."

As to whether you consider the NZNBL to be a "better offer," or the PR league to be better again, well that's a matter of opinion and clearly yours doesn't count.

And if you wish to talk about irrelevant arguments, why do you keep rabbiting on about Europe?
Who has mentioned him going to Europe?

NBL teams can get away with restricting their out clauses, bush leagues can't, otherwise they'd never attract anyone decent. And even in the NBL, they sometimes use buy-out clauses, which means you can leave to go anywhere provided you pay the piper.

Your arguments are based on your narrow opinions of what you think should and did take place, even though you obviously don't have a clue.

Now, I too do not have copies of whatever correspondence did (or did not) pass between him and the Thunder. So I can't necessarily disprove your assertion that he has pledged his life, soul, bodily organs, and first born to Tasmania. (It is after all, difficult to prove a negative.)
However the fact that he is now in Puerto Rico seems to favour my version.

Reply #583030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost me at fucking crayons. Don't swear Dazz, its not nice.

Does this really matter all that much? He changed his mind and got paid to play basketball elsewhere, end of story. Good dudes change teams all the time, bad dudes obviously change or are forced to change teams all the time too. Hopefully he isn't back at the Crocs, not a game winner type. All energy and excitement but not a scary cover for defences etc Did anyone else notice how every time he got pinned with a foul he would look over to Dennis to argue plead his case, every single time.

Reply #583031 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure thats what agents are for....Could almost guarantee they dealt with the issue not Omar...

Reply #583044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL it isn't a red flag.

Has a state league contract with Thunder.

Then gets offered Puerto Rico.

Who turns away an overseas contract to remain in a state league, lmao.

Some butthurt Thunder fans on here needs to get a grip.

Reply #583148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754