Dazz
Years ago

Will the NBL increase the Games to 32?

It's been suggested (in the Cats ticket thread) that the NBL will increase the games played to 32.
ie, continue to play each team 4 times.
I don't mind the idea, I think its manageable, and preserves the fairest way of deciding splits.

The season used to be 30 games in the 48 minute era, so two extra games isn't much.

We only dropped to 28 when the league shat itself and we dropped to 8 teams, BUT when the Kings came back and we went back up to 9 (before the GC Blaze folded) the league did not increase it.

Topic #39161 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

They might. They might not. No one knows.

If membership prices stay the same but there's more games great.

If there's more games and membership prices go up then that's reasonable too.

Wait and see Dazz. Wait and see

Reply #583084 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Less is more, shorten seasons allows players to play in Euro and get ready for the NBA summer leagues. Rather, less games at a better standard than more games.

Reply #583085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah let's go to 32 games, great idea.

Reply #583089 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Less is more. I actually felt like the season got too repetitive this year. That wont change until we get 10-12 teams. I am in favour of maybe even dropping more, and getting down to playing each team 3 times. There will be no question who wins a series then.

Reply #583091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they will increase the games, and i think they should

Isnt part of the revenue model including the expansion, getting the league to where teams play more like 40 games to increase revenue through gate takings by playing more games whilst leaving player salaries (a clubs biggest expense) at a similar level, one way which they plan to make the league more profitibale.

This is pretty much the NBA model, pre the massive TV deals they now have, lots of teams, and lots of games.

Could also keep the season tickets at a similar cost so it becomes cheaper per game, which might encourage more people to sign up.

Obviously they would need 10-12 teams to get around the 40 games mark

But id leave the formula of every team plays each other 4 times, until they hit the 40 games mark

I thought the season was fantastic and not too long at all, but maybe thats just me, i am a basketball junkie, the more times you get to see your team play the better

Reply #583093 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't get the whole "less is more" argument.
How does playing less games make the quality any better???
Quality is driven by the players, players are driven by cash. So only way to
improve quality is to increase cash, which means more games not less.

playing each team 3 times.
There will be no question who wins a series then.
There's no "question" now.
A 4 game series is fair, 3 games isn't.

Reply #583095 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Once we hit the 12 teams mark, which I believe to be the perfect number. I would be Preventing Perth from travelling to NZ all the time too. I would also increase to top 6.

I would play each team 3 times for a 33 game season, while also adding in knockout tournament during the season with some asian teams. Possibly 4 teams from Asia to start to make it a 16 team, 4 round format.

So every team plays minimum 34, maximum 37 during the season. Then finals should be 1 & 2 rest, then play winners of 3 & 6, 4 & 5. Culminating in a grand final series of 5 games.

Reply #583096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if there is 9 teams next season Dazz. WTF!

Reply #583097 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How does playing less games make the quality any better???
Quality is driven by the players, players are driven by cash. So only way to
improve quality is to increase cash, which means more games not less.
"Only way" is not true at all. Shorter span of games is attractive to the higher quality players. They can fit in a stint before or after another contract.

Look at Big Bash - quick, intense season seems to work for them.

Local players (and probably imports too) want to play more games and have less trainings. It's all work for them, really. One ex-player thinks that teams have too long to scout each other and prepare which makes for fewer offensive advantages.

People often talk about the NFL season. They have 32 teams across two conferences but play just 16 games each in the regular season. 17 week season with one bye week for each team. Then single-elimination games in the playoffs. Their attendance and TV numbers are huge.

Personally, I think the NBL should play 32 in a condensed season if possible, and then save the concept of fewer-impact games for a separate tournament developed with Asian clubs.

Reply #583109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im with 'ME' play each team 3 times, you want more games, add more damn teams. Playing the same team 4 times, is so repetitive. A mini best of 3 series, can be marketed very well if that 3 rd game is the series clincher. Keep it simple.

Reply #583110 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"getting down to playing each team 3 times"

NBL decides finals seeds based on outcomes of head to head series for the regular season. That makes those series influential and important.

A best of 3 series in the regular season means one team gets home court twice. The home court advantage in NBL is too great for that to be acceptable to clubs, I would think. Home teams were 2.4 times as likely to win as away teams in 2015-16. In 2014-15 the home team was 1.4 times more likely to win than the away team and that was consistent with the preceding 3 seasons.

Reply #583113 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I would be very surprised if they didn't increase it to 32... I think that would be the preference over decreasing the total amount of games and playing each team 3x. More basketball (and even-game series between teams) is definitely my preference.

Reply #583114 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Would this decision already have been made?
Clubs would surely want to know this before they start setting prices and accepting payments for next season's memberships (which has already started)

Reply #583119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One of the problems this year was having teams play each other so close together. Having two home games against each opponent is not unreasonable, but they should be dispersed where possible throughout the season.

Reply #583127 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

They really need to look at the schedule closely before finalising it.

The 36'ers had a stretch of 9-10 weeks over Christmas where they played 1 home game?!?!!? WTF

How the hell do they justify that?

Reply #583131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussiebballer the gap in the schedule was so the Dome could be fitted with new lighting and scoreboard cube.

Reply #583137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less is more = WTF. The season is way too short. Now Grand Final is in early March, it was mid/late April not too long ago.

Reply #583138 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Aussiebballer the gap in the schedule was so the Dome could be fitted with new lighting and scoreboard cube.
No, they just decided to take advantage of a break that was already there.

The fixtures last year were done really late, as the TV deal had to be negotiated as well, and by that time there were venue availability issues. They've been quite open about this season's fixturing not being up to the standard they wanted, that being due to time constraints, and plans to have it sorted out better this time around.

Less is more = WTF. The season is way too short. Now Grand Final is in early March, it was mid/late April not too long ago.
It's still the same number of games.

Reply #583149 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The lighting and Scoreboard was done after Christmas, what about the 4-5 weeks before Christmas when they had 1 home game?

Maybe they wanted as many home games after the upgrades were finished.

Reply #583150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #583153 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"I am in favour of maybe even dropping more, and getting down to playing each team 3 times. There will be no question who wins a series then. "

Yeah no question at all, the Home Team!

Reply #583177 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Thunder Jam...

But that's exactly the reason - I prefer a fair home-away series to a weighted one each season.

Reply #583184 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

" I actually felt like the season got too repetitive this year."

I think that scheduling was a big part of that. There were 12 occasions when two teams played each other twice within a week. That only happened 5 times the season before.

Also, the first head-to-head contest of the minor round was decided only 7 weeks into the season (before the end of November). The second was decided a week later. So those teams had played each other 4 times in 7-8 weeks. The previous season, the first head-to-head was decided on New Year's Eve, 12 weeks into the season.

Those scheduling problems largely flowed from the late timing of the acceptance of Kestleman's proposal by the NBL Board and clubs. That won't be an issue this season so scheduling should be better.

I favour a 32 game season with 4 extra games to accommodate Brisbane's entry. Those could be added to the Christmas/New Year period, which was light on this past season. In the period from 16 December to 2 January, there were 3 rounds containing 12 games (5+3+4). The previous season between 18 December and 4 January there were 3 rounds containing 16 games (6+4+6).

Reply #583196 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Gotta keep the four game season series in the NBL... Not sure anybody mentioned this but if you are a season member then you get to see the league MVP twice during the season... In the AFL you may not have the Brownlow medallist play against your team at home all season (think your a Brisbane fan and they only play in Gold Coast for example).

That's something that should be marketed the most and players want more games and less training

Reply #583274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does 32 game work if there is 9 teams?

Reply #583286 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...because 8 x 4 = 32?

Reply #583289 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754