Wildcats80
Years ago

Casey Prather MVP

Casey Prather wins the wildvats MVP

Topic #39168 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldve been him then daylight. He did miss a few games, but which Wildcat didnt, they ended up managing thsoe injuries very well.

Dazz I expect a 10 page essay on Prather winning MVP.

Reply #583315 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He was clearly the MVP this season for the cars and it's not because it's a case of him being our best player but a case of us looking horrendous and clueless in games he wasn't available!

Wherever he ends up playing next season I hope he stays injury free.

Congratulations Casey, you deserve everything you get

Reply #583317 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Coming to a hoops forum near you... This Autumn.... "Will Casey Prather return to the NBL?"... Directed by Dazz. Haha

Reply #583324 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Congrats to Casey. Could realistically have gone to Matty or Damo too, but I like this choice. His absence was the toughest for us to cover.

Reply #583326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RMQ thats gold, Dazz loves this stuff!

Reply #583331 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

The best decision of the night was the coaches award to Jarrod Kenny. Well deserved.

Reply #583344 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, thumbs up for me...

Reply #583345 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Where is Dazz?

Someone send help. He must be in strife.

Oh.....and Gleeson is a flog

Reply #583347 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/38876-casey-prather-perth-mvp/

Actually I thought he might have missed out after missing those couple of games towards the end, but after a slow start, he has adapted well and easily become our best most consistent player.

Plus as mentioned, he has really filled the required role to perfection.

Yes, we've had a bunch of good players this season, you don't win a 'ship without them.
Matty made the running early on, and Damo missed too many games to be in the running.

Will he stay with the Cats? That would buck the trend of using one import slot for 1yr NBA development players, although with 3 imports they can still chase somebody else.
Interesting to see what happens. I hope he stays, he is a joy to watch. Hopefully he can work out his hand-fouls and polish up his perimeter shooting, and be even better.

Be interesting to see what options he has. Will he go back to the D-League and try again for the NBA?

Reply #583349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Will he stay with the Cats? That would buck the trend of using one import slot for 1yr NBA development players"

That trend was already bucked when the Cats signed him for this past season considering he was not drafted to the NBA unlike Daniels & Ennis before him.

Reply #583362 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

That's true, but what does a 2nd round pick really mean? Ennis has done the best, getting a full season in the NBA, but they're all effectively D-League players.
What is "hopeful" from my perspective is that Prather did his season in the D-League before coming to Perth, so maybe he has already come to terms with not making it to the NBA?
Wait and see I guess.

Reply #583365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz with the 'ship jargon, you the real MVP Dazz.

Reply #583368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz on the money as usual. Prather still fits into that bracket as an "NBA aspirant", although he is perhaps not quite as front of mind as Ennis/Daniels were in the minds of NBA scouts given he wasn't a draft pick. But he's still young enough, played at a huge college and D-League that people in the league would still know who he is and are keeping an eye on him.

Reply #583370 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The way his game came on in just 6 months he certainly should retain any NBA aspirations he had, yes. With his pre-season jumpshot, no way, but he's far from a liability now.

It's actually quite remarkable to see a player transform their shooting the way Casey did. I don't think I've ever seen an improvement of that magnitude ... or even close to it ... over that short a space of time.

Reply #583375 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

I don't think it was much of a transformation. It was more confidence.

His mechanics are the same, and still not that nice looking.

But confidence wise he turned a corner somewhere during the middle of the season, and from that point on he's been great from deep.

I think his shots too slow for the NBA, and he didn't show he can create a shot off the dribble all that well.

While he may still have NBA aspirations, If I was his manager I'd be telling him to start creating a career/brand in Australia. Big fish, small pond.

Love Prather's game for the NBL, but I don't think he'll make the NBA

Reply #583379 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that his shot is still slow & low and far from ideal for NBA level. But I also still think he'd be quite justified in aiming for higher than an NBL career.
Realistically this league is probably ideal for his skill set, but this stage of his career I'm sure he'd still be curious about how high he can reach.

Reply #583382 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^good point. And I also agree.

Word is, cats have a three year contract on the table. Most likely want to sign him up before free-agency begins.

Reply #583386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, despite the percentages looking good, it's still not a great shot. As mentioned, the motion is a bit slow. The good thing though is that he was enough of a threat that if you left him wide open he'd hurt you, and that is about as much as he needs in the NBL, because his athletic ability is superior to most. Also, he understand good shot selection and took the right ones.

The next step for him would be to develop a pull-up mid-range shot off the dribble. He has a good handle so it's not too far fetched, and teams were starting to sag off him when he put the ball on the floor because they knew he was going all the way to the hole. Abercrombie took a couple of (albeit questionable) charging calls on Casey this way in the Grand Final. If he added a pull-up jump shot that was fairly consistent he'd be a 20ppg scorer in this league pretty easily.

Reply #583429 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Top notch video of Casey Prather
https://vimeo.com/159698810

Reply #583435 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

That's dope. Very Dope! Great stuff - does this guy have a twitter handle so I can tell him how dope that was?

I don't really want to sign up to vimeo.

Reply #583443 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@Harryboy85

"Camera Man, Video Editor, Sports Enthusiast, Lover of Basketball. Studying Film and Broadcasting at ECU with aspirations of a career in a sports media role."

Reply #583444 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Thanks! now... how to rip video from vimeo? haha

Reply #583454 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think anyone truly gives up on their dream to play NBA, at least not at Prather's age.
But at this stage his most likely bet is that he goes back to the D-League, tries to make a name for himself and pick up a 10-day contract. But as mentioned, he's already tried a year in the D-League, and whilst I don't know if anyone was looking, it didn't result in a call-up.
So he can get a decent contract here (plus accommodation, car, etc) or play for $30k in the D-League. At some point the idea of earning a steady income for the next few years must start to look attractive.
Europe might be an option, but the fact that he hasn't immediately jetted off suggests offers are not forthcoming.

Reply #583542 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

He hasn't immediately jetted off because his contract stats he has to stay in Perth until a certain date (Wildcats Ball presumably).

Dreams are dreams. The reality is, although you dream of playing in the NBA, if the reality is you are unlikely to get a secure contract anywhere, then to begin making a living elsewhere.

Reply #583558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754