Isaac
Years ago

36ers target energetic big and combo guard imports

Boti's recent story says that Joey Wright is keen to get an "energetic big" as one import. The other spot would be a Dave Thomas type if the club could get college-graduate Peter Hooley as a viable backup PG, or a Lisch/Beal type otherwise.

"We'll look for an energetic type of big guy," Wright said of one import target.

“It’s not that important how big he is because it’s more about performance in this league, than height — as long as he can run the floor, get rebounds and defend the post.

“How much money we can spend will determine how tall he is.”

Wright said he was considering Hooley, 24 and 193cm, initially as the back-up point guard to Randle.

“Can Peter back Jerome up at the point? I don’t know but that’s a possibility,” Wright said of the directions he was considering exploring.
Full story

Topic #39178 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

"energetic type of big guy" - Ibekwe?

Reply #583511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need a rim protector we're way too soft inside. A Gladness type would be perfect someone who can at least act as a deterrent but he would probably be out of the 36ers price range.

IMO, that should be more important than a SF import.

Reply #583513 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Beal to 6ers confirmed

Reply #583515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey considering Hooley like he doesnt have any other options. I dont think a kid like that would be happy to go through the college just to come back and play for Wright in little old Adelaide. I think he will have more options.

As for the import types, hopefully they can recruit the right guys, and someone helps Joey heavily with the import choices. He doesnt have a great eye for it imo. Randle is a true diamond in the rough at 5'9 the other he have brought in have been ordinary.

Reply #583516 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

They should just find out who Sydney have rejected and go after them.

Reply #583517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ray turner is the man for the job, I think the nz breakers wish they grabbed him know after looking back on their tall import for this season.
2015 wa MVP-! Winning championship at Rockhampton rockets this guy is a friggin jet

Reply #583520 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

RMQ, you're joking, right?

Reply #583522 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yes, he is

Reply #583523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohhhh Dave.

Reply #583525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ray Turner? Are you joking?

Guy is barely 6"7 if that, hyper athletic but will get murdered at the NBL level.

Reply #583526 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Turner is 6'9" and is beasting in Japan

Reply #583528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On sushi? How good is the Japanese league? Lets not underestimate the level of the NBL. Takes a very good import pedigree to change a teams destiny in this league these days. I don't know who that guy is people are suggesting, just pointing out that playing well in Japan doesn't mean much.

Reply #583529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DaHuzy, i've played against him and there is no chance he is 6"9. 200-201 cm at most, he is super athletic though.

Reply #583530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Wright was unsure whether Hooley could backup a big-minutes guard, is it likely he's going to get loads of offers superior to playing in what I presume to be his home town?

Reply #583534 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

This is all based on an 11 man roster though ?

Reply #583535 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

+1 for Gladness

Reply #583540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea id say they are talking the 11 man roster, Hooley would be the 11th man by the sounds of it they are going for something like

Randle/Hooley
Import/Teys/Sobey
Creek/Walker
Import/Petrie
Johnson/Hodgson

I like the suggestions of Gladness or someone similar as the big man

For the sg spot i like Joeys suggestion of either a Dave Thomas or Lisch/Beal type, sort of happy either way, both ways have there positives imo, my preference would be a Dave Thomas type, Prather or Craig would be great gets in that spot imo.

Sounds like Joey is on the same page with mmany fans on here with the roster make up, which is great to see!

Reply #583541 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

""energetic type of big guy" - Ibekwe?"
Nate Jawai?

I don't think they can be chasing somebody like Gladness or Ibekwe.
They need somebody to replace Petri in the starting line-up. Probably more of a Conklin type.

I assume from all the talk about a combo, that Gibson is gone?

Reply #583544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Beal leave his situation in Perth( best team and franchise in the league) for Adelaide?

Reply #583545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money talks.

Reply #583546 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So, 3 imports is a goer then?

Reply #583547 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Energetic and Nathan Jawai aren't 2 things that go together.

Reply #583548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ibekwe and Randle sounds like fun and throw in Waxy, Creek and DJ and thats an athletic exciting team... What do you think fellas ?

Reply #583549 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

;-)

Reply #583550 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Randle/Hooley
Import/Teys/Sobey
Creek/Walker
Import/Petrie
Johnson/Hodgson

Can't help but think that unless you're getting stud imports, that team isn't going to have the depth at key positions to do any better than this year.

Assuming the 3 import rule, teams are going to have class players coming off the bench (Perth, NZ, United, Hawks etc.). IMO, Teys, Sobey, Walker, Petrie, Hodgson doesn't exactly cut it under the new league (but I could be wrong). Hooley could be pretty good, but haven't seen enough of him to judge fairly.

Reply #583553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know why people think we're going to re-sign Walker, right after the season finished Boti said don't expect Ere, Gibson & Walker to be back next season.

Reply #583554 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I wouldn't keep Walker if he is unsigned, I just think he plays with a low basketball IQ. That said, I had it in the back of my mind that he is already signed for this season.

Reply #583556 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Anon, since then Boti has written an article specifically saying that Walker may not be leaving the club and that he is keen to return.

Reply #583557 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

MACDUB...like any team, import choices are crucial. Take your Breakers for example, with and without Ced Jackson.

Reply #583559 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Beal wouldn't "leave" Perth. He would simply become future endevoured at the Wildcats.

Beal's value lies in becoming naturalised.

He's had a successful stint. 3 years, 2 championships.

But he's an import and can be replaced by a younger, better model with less "baggage".

That said, in his favour is that he is a known commodity, and therefore a lower risk signing.

I don't mind if Beal stays a Wildcat for another season, but wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at another club looking to take less risk with their import signing.

Reply #583560 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tornado,

Sorry I did contradict myself there by saying that if they have good imports (hence a good starting 5) they can win it all but then saying that they don't have the necessary depth to win it anyway.

The correct point I really wanted to be made was the lack of depth IMO with that above squad.

Imports generally cancel each other out.

Reply #583563 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think their depth is a little inexperienced but I think the talent is there. To be successful they would need improvement from Sobey and Hodgson along with greater output from Teys which we know he is capable of.

I don't think their depth is all that different to Perth or NZ talent wise, more so the experience and consistency that is lacking.

Reply #583564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin would be in for the long hall and a solid olayer no worse than the Reds out west !!!! When it comes to elbows and physicality. Good guy.

Reply #583586 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

RMQ,
Without knowing what caps will remain in place, its difficult to speculate on the value of naturalisation.
If we assume caps would still aloow Cats to have their pick of 3 imports plus Beal, then yes, big value to naturalisation.
I still recall back in the late 90's when we had 3 naturalised players, and the league started to somewhat enforce the cap, requiring us to source budget imports. We did well with Lichti, whom IIRC was a friend of Vlahov, but then filled the final slot with SBL imports like Moose and Dewey Michaels.

As you say, Beal is a known quantity. He's not the best import out there, but for teams sick of rolling the dice on the likes of Thornton, he'd be a good value pickup.

Reply #583608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that Hooley will be happy to play a back-up PG spot once he attempts the NBL. What team is best suited to him?

Reply #583749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754