40th Street Black
Years ago

Most Improved ABL Player

Would have to go to Woodville's captain, Cameron Wilson.

To lose four starters: Ng, Vandenbergh, Whitmore and Bradley,. As well as Ali J(Hammond), had everybody predicting a wooden spoon.

Cameron Wilson from getting 18 minutes off the bench under York, to captaincy and 19pts, 6 ass, 2 stl per game has to be hands down the Most Improved Player and a dark, well-hung horse for the Woollacott.

A rudderless ship at the start of the season to a steaming locomotive, this could be Woodville's Hoosier season,
and it all started with their captain.

Topic #3921 | Report this topic

Wilson's Chick  
Years ago

Well hung ?????

Reply #45698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't you boys go five minutes without talking about a penis???

Reply #45699 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

40th... is this for the most improved player, or best performing team?

For the team that has performed the best, i'd agree with you. Centrals looked the goods early on, but finished poor. Although not everyone predicted them to spoon, given the loss of personal woodville have out performed.

As for the topic tho, i'd give my vote to Ben Madgen. A guy who started the season as the 8th player, coming off the bench, he's now in the sixers squad, off the back of an outstanding season.

Reply #45701 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

Would have to be between Cameron Wilson and Ben Madgen for sure.

Both stepping up to the plate this year and making their mark on the competition.

Reply #45702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Between Wilson and Madgen for me too. Quality seasons from both.

Madgen had a great write-up courtesy of Boti in the paper today.

Reply #45703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*personnel

Reply #45704 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i would agree....but i think for consistencey i would just head wilson's way....great season.

Reply #45707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And for the ladies?

Reply #45710 | Report this post

AceOnTheRiver  
Years ago

I just want to make a point about Woodville for a second.

Yes they lost the afore mention quality players but how people can claim 'you were all wrong about us' crap is beyond me. Prior to the season i tipped woodville to finish bottom only for the following to happen...(in no particular order)

Added Paul Rees - NBL Quality centre, deadly from 3 point land and all around good guy.
Added Matt Elder - Import and solid contributor (I heard he can shoot the 3)
Convinced Puddifoot to play again. I was told (by him) that he would not play this year.
Replaced York with a former NBA player who has won 2 NBL Championships with the sixers. I'm sure this guy knows a thing or two about basketball.

You could take 4 players out of almost any team, replace them with those 3 plus that coach and you'll have a competitive unit.

Great season by the warriors but enough of this "We told you so attitude"

Reply #45715 | Report this post

Ladies Man  
Years ago

For the women, Ali Trewartha would have to be a contender...she always makes an impact, was one of Norths weapons off the bench, and has landed in the Fella's squad before going over to the states...

Reply #45719 | Report this post

picachoo  
Years ago

trewartha for sure no doubt

Reply #45722 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

AceOnTheRiver, u also forget that we lost the majority of our bench players, ben todd, marcus ng (back next season mind u) locky parker, hammo, maybe someone else cant really remember. but that is 8 players that were replaced with all new players that had been play the likes of div 2, 3, 4 and 5 mens or even only under 18's or 20's. so yes we did get some very good ppl in but the rest of the team is also new. so i beleive that attitude is well deserved at this point in time.

Reply #45725 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

Reesy plays 20 minutes a game, and has been good for us. but by no means is he a franchise saver.

Matt Elder has been outstanding and the valuable piece.

We replaced our coach (york) with a person whos had virtually no coaching experience. Although hes done well, it wasnt a guaranteed move, when done.

The players that have stepped up as been amazing. Puddifoot has had his greatest season, enough said about Cam wilson.

Birmngham came from struggling to get a spot last season to soild 15/16 points a game. Greg Pascoe has stepped up massively, provided another option. not to mention mark fuller.

i think woodville has surpursed anyones wildest dreams and even with the addition of a couple of players, they core group has been remarkable

Reply #45727 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

No Doubt - Woodville was put through the ringer pre-season and have come out alright.

Good Attitude shown all round by the club and the playing group to knuckle down and get the job done.

It is hard to rebuild in light of lost players within 3-5 years let alone as many months!!

Now - back it up with a great game Saturday night Woodville - make a GF for this state to remember! Forestville are tough competitors.

----------------

Ali Trewartha - what a revelation this player has been. She performed awesome at the U20 national's a massive strength of that team. Just carried it on througout this season.
GOOD LUCK TO HER!

Simone Nelson has also stepped up another cog this year and became a big part of Southern's team this year...

What about the rookie of the year - Cayla Francis (what an amazing talent there)... the most improved team from last year would have to go to Eastern and whilst a lot of that would be hard work of Cayla, that team has pulled closer together this season.

Reply #45730 | Report this post

harry  
Years ago

benson is great

Reply #45736 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

benson is in my mind the most overrated player in the league.....sturt would be better off without him in my opinion. i am not sure what he brings to the team?

Reply #45744 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Ali Trewartha for women!

And as previosuly mentioned, Cam Wilson or Ben Madgen for the men!

Dark horse picks come from Forestville: Matt Sutton and Dougie!

Reply #45747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Gange

Michael Zorich

Reply #45767 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

u also forgot jarrod graves tack luck, he was a massive piece of our team

Reply #45772 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

jarrod graves is taller than you undersized pf.enjoy it

Reply #45775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gange, Wilson, or Madgen. The usual. Gange could go for Rookie of the year too as well i believe?

Reply #45777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ace on the river

last years team in the main were
(for woodville men)

Tracy York Coach - Malaysia
John Meyer Asst Coach - retired?
Greg Breavington & Graham Gould Managers.

1)Scott Whitmore - retired
2)Eric Bradley - interstate
3)Paul 'Reggie' Vandenbergh - centrals
4)Andrew Puddifoot - retained
5)Darren Ng - Sturt
they were our main starters

6) Mark Fuller - retained
7) Cameron Wilson - retained
8) Lachlan Parker - Balaklava
9) Jarred Hammond - centrals
10) Marcus Ng - Injured
11) Jarrod Graves - shin splints
12) was a revolving door with brimingham/pascoe/reeves and others getting a look in occassionally.

we lost 4 of our starting five.
Leadership from Scott
golden hands from Reggie
at times unstoppable shooting streaks from Darren
inside game and rebounding machine in Eric

so we started the season with a coach was leaving, an assistant coach who last season had been the manager as assistant coach.

we knew we were picking up elder but he played only half the season.

rees was a bonus but he hasn't played all season, injury, holidays, being left off of scoresheet etc
besides he hasn't racked up big minutes.

also remember in prior seasons we lost players to retirement like Jason Bray, Craig Gilbert and Nathan Baggott to football, Ben Todd and Ryan Meaking to injuries

Premiers in 2000, grandfinalists again in 2004 and with a nearly new team grandfinalists again in 2005

Tell me again why i shouldn't be proud of this team, tell any woodville supporter why they shouldn't be proud of this team?

Credit please where credit is due.
One starter, 2 players from the main 10 new coach, new assistant coach, new manager.

and back to back grandfinalists!!

Reply #45778 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

what footy team does nathan boggot play for?

Reply #45782 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

ITS COZ WHERE F***ING GOOD DAM IT!!! C'MON WARRIORS

Reply #45783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woodville west i think - nathan baggott

Reply #45785 | Report this post

jennifer garner  
Years ago

jason dix for sure but my dark horse is danny phillips from west had a solid year and could of racked some votes

Reply #45786 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Put me down for Danny phillips also.
Magden has done very well, but I think that 2 games when head to head, Phillips hit 26 & 30. Very consistent year.

Reply #45791 | Report this post

AceOnTheRiver  
Years ago

Anon. 45778,

posts like that waste my time without an identity. It's ok though, i know you are all just making excuses so that when the Eagles take the title on the weekend you can say to yourselves, oh well... our excuses are x,y,z.

Futhermore i would like to concur with Gertrude on Benson. He can do alot of nothing and not much of anything.

Reply #45795 | Report this post

bloodynora  
Years ago

couldn't help putting my 2 bob's worth in on this one - losing darren ng was a bonus - always dreaded when he was put on court in the 36ers and saw the abl final last year and he was a non event - too soft - if he can't get his shots he's got nothing else

Reply #45798 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

ace on the river the post 45778
was my post

my name probably means didly squat to you as

'ace on the river' means to me.

Mine however is my true name and did I actually say anywhere that it was an excuse IF woodville lose

read again apart from a few typos including ryan meakin's name

I was stating facts about the team and that the club and supporters should be PROUD of the team as back to back grandfinalists

nowhere in that post did i say it was an excuse to lose nor did i say we would win or lose.

Reply #45812 | Report this post

JH  
Years ago

Gee if only i had a bootleg wu-tang tracksuit and a tommy skully. I'd wear it to the game !!!

Reply #45813 | Report this post

travel592  
Years ago

Nathan Bagot plays for Eagles in SANFL

Reply #45815 | Report this post

OLD BULL  
Years ago

That (45778) was a great post Lynny WIELAND, giving credit to team (and Club) that has grouped together to make a success of what loomed to be a disastrous season. What Woodville have achieved thus far is an excellent example for all clubs in the ABL to follow - and it's got a lot more to do with 'team' than it has to do with 'talent'. The chemistry and balance is perfect and I believe they will win the Championship. Behind the leadership and experience of Cameron (most improved) , Andrew, Matt and Reesy, is a Coach and a group of young guys who are going etch their names in the history books. We are Proud Lyn.

p.s. The Assistant Coach was MYERS not MEYER and I am not that sure he has retired.

Reply #45890 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

damn Old Bull does that mean you are a woodville person????

do you mean I was beaten by a woodville person? ie me being passback!

forgive me Old Bull I was typing that when tired hence the bad typos especially on Ryan's name (sorry Ryan)

Reply #45893 | Report this post

OLD BULL  
Years ago

Yes, in a way I'm sorry I had to beat so many forum legends to get my hands on the bronze CustomTel Cordless H530+1 which, incidently, will be delivered tomorrow by Mark MONTGOMERY (ex Woodville Player)

Last year there was enormous pressure on the Green and Gold machine - having finished top - and I believe that pressure eventually consumed us. Different situation this year - different philosophy.

Reply #45899 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

So when I see you tomorrow night walking around with the phone I will know who you are.

Stick around after the games I'll be a tad busy during them.

And show me your new bronze CustomTel Cordless H530+1

Reply #45901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems like woodville didn't need any excuses

Reply #45986 | Report this post

tigergirl  
Years ago

sarah peddle was really good and so was jamie fricker

Reply #75512 | Report this post

tigergirl  
Years ago

sarah peddle was really good and so was jamie fricker

Reply #75513 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754