Aussie
Years ago

All 9 NBL teams chasing James Ennis

All 9 NBL clubs have apparently been in contact with James Ennis' agent.

He is hoping to secure an NBA contract next season but wouldn't rule out returning to the NBL for a price tag of around $500,000.

Interesting times ahead

Topic #39222 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy figure. BUT he is worth it, besides cracking the shits and littering in the Yarra on the awards night, seems to have matured within the NBA system. Genuine game breaker. Just hope a club doesn't bite off more than it can afford and he becomes a bank breaker. Any team but Perth id like to see him at.

Reply #584297 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

How much was he on before? And where is all this money coming from? Goulding was just signed for 400K. Is this kind of spending sustainable? And are we just going to be overpaying the same players and not actually adding extra talent to the league?

Reply #584303 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

I'm just going to throw it & out there & so no, it probably isn't sustainable.

Reply #584304 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If the NBL want to be noticed and make some waves in front of the Foxtel board, also attract sponsors that are willing to be involved by throwing some $$$ in, then this is the way it has to go.

Where is the choice now that Larry has openly admitted to the plan going forward and successfully led the sheep through the door?

Reply #584306 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

$500k is some serious fk money.

An asking price is all well and good - just depends who's pockets are deep enough then.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does return that he will sign for less.

Reply #584307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort money was Childress on , would've been up there I reckon.

Reply #584308 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, it's a very risky strategy, and even more so heaping more of the risk on one person, but getting recognised, entertaining players and showing them on TV is the way they have to take this strategy.

Reply #584309 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Ennis chasing $500K
Lisch reportedly on $300K a season.

Wildcats wouldn't be in the hunt for Jimmy at that asking price, but Sydney possibly!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/31276416/wildcat-ennis-could-return/

Reply #584311 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

$800k is a hell of a lot of money to spend on 2 players.

Reply #584313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way the NBL is going to attract good $$ deals with TV networks and Sponsors is to go down this path.
To be honest no one cares about our Australian players who are not superstars currently playing in the NBA/Europe. Apart from one or two Australians currently in the NBL there's no one else I'd pay to go see.

The NBL needs to get the best talent available to play in our league and that will come from decent imports or superstar Aussies playing in Europe or maybe the fringe ones in the NBA!

Reply #584314 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remember hearing back in the day when the GC Blaze were chasing Julius Hodge he was asking for $800k.

Reply #584316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Train

Exspecially when the cap is1.1 million, I no there is deduction for marquee but they could be paying out a lot for going over the cap.

Reply #584317 | Report this post

HMMM  
Years ago

Considering he makes over 1M AUD now its hard to think he would only want 500K AUD

Reply #584318 | Report this post

Ugly Igley  
Years ago

I recall seeing a report he was signed to Miami for $508k.

If that report was correct, surely he cant expect that size contract for playing anywhere else in the world if he didn't make it in the NBA.

Then again, if it is $500k AUD, that is only 378k USD.

Reply #584319 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Dont the new rules only allow a marquee spot (and $150k of salary counting towards the cap) to be used on non restricted players? ie not imports

If so, how can any team spend $500k on one player, without hamstringing the rest of their roster?

I thought the same thing about Adelaide signing Randle for $300k before the rules come out.

Makes Illawara signing Lisch as an Aussie player even more valuable.

Reply #584320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Childress would've been paid a fair bit in Sydney. I remember hearing a high figure but can't remember exactly what it was.

Reply #584321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are 4 marquee spots now right? And as far as I am aware they can be used on any player, import or Australian. Therefore a team can sign Ennis to whatever they can afford to pay him, as an import, and only a certain portion of that will count towards the cap.

Reply #584322 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I heard Childress was on $300k?

Reply #584324 | Report this post

Indominous-Rex  
Years ago

I heard less? But around that area.

Reply #584325 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

According to this article on nbl website

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl-announces-changes-to-player-contract-salary-rules/

1. Marquee rule can only apply to unrestricted players (locals).
2. A further 3 unrestricted (local) marquee players can be signed, with only a portion of their salary counting towards the cap.

To me, this means 100% of any imports salary counts towards the cap, with teams encouraged to spend big on Aussies.

Therefore teams would not be able to spend $500k on one import, leaving only $600k available for the rest of their roster. They would be unable to sign anything but budget imports or even if 1 or 2 Aussies were signed under marquee rules this would count as $150k to $350k towards salary cap, leaving hardly anything for remainder of roster, meaning at best you would have budget imports / players.

In Adelaide's case, after Randle, we would have $800k left for the rest of the roster, which would mean we will have to squeeze in a lot of budget players if we opt to get a marquee player or another stud import

Reply #584326 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Also the 2nd, 3rd & 4th Aussie marquee player takes up an import spot.

This stops a team potentially having Aussie 4 marquees and 3 budget imports (which probably cant happen under salary cap anyway)

Reply #584327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary cap is only soft can spend over, but need to pay tax

Can spend big on one aussie have 3 star imports and a $2mil roster, just gotta pay tax

The marque rule just reduces the teams cap figure and tax payable

Thats my understanding of the rules, could be wrong.

Reply #584328 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Childress is still living off that Phoenix amnesty money. He probably played at a discount/budget.

I mean I'm sure he still got good coin, but perhaps not one everyone thinks.

Reply #584331 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the above anon is correct.

There is no salary cap, just a luxury tax threshold. In addition, the cap is calculated by the committee, not by actual player salaries.

So really, there is no salary cap, just the points cap. But if you're willing to pay luxury tax that doesn't exist either.

Reply #584342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way any club pays Ennis $500K. With the three import rule and DECENT overseas scouting (which only the NZ Breakers seem to do well in the NBL at present) you could get three studs for under $500K combined.

Reply #584346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the new salary cap rules going ahead you would think continuing TV coverage on Fox is a lock.

Reply #584347 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Peter, Adelaide have a fair few budget players so would probably be alright.

Reply #584358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im an Ennis fan but if I'm running a team id be thinking why spend 500k on Ennis when I could possibly spend 150k-200k on 'the next Ennis' I.e. a flashy talent straight out of college. Sure there is some risk that it doesn't pan out where as Ennis is a proven commodity say NBL level but for those type of savings I would take that risk. The prather signing this year showed there are other fish in the ocean so to speak.

Maybe Ennis would be worth it to the wildcats given the huge brand names he has here.

Reply #584360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other thing you have to remember is that at a minimum you would expect Ennis to be attending a NBA training camp somewhere. He is still in the minds of NBA clubs as shown by his recent pickup by new Orleans. So if you're an NBL team you'd have to wait until late to grab him a potentially risky move as alternative import options may have dried up by the time you know whether he's available or not

Reply #584361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

overpriced when you consider Delly for example worth 1.2 mil for a season with loads more games in the NBA and a Finals team alongside and against real superstars. this is still Australia with limited corporate sponsorship available too. as said many times before the NBL changes over the last 10 years are all geared up for the millionaire plus owners and now its worse and only 4 clubs have the backing. Wilson does have a load of money though with its alleged offshore accounts so who knows ????

Reply #584384 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Do we have a rough figure on what we got Randle at?

Reply #584434 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Hendo, have heard around the $300k mark. Nothing more than educated guesses though I'd say.

Reply #584436 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So the grand plan for taking the league to the next level basically consists of re-signing the same players we've had previously, but now at double their salaries. That sound about right?
This has got success written all over it :/

Reply #584456 | Report this post

YouuCantSeeMe  
Years ago

Lets all buy property in small mining towns while we are watching the new NBL. Get in on the action.

Reply #584467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"With the three import rule and DECENT overseas scouting (which only the NZ Breakers seem to do well in the NBL at present)"

If you look at NZ's last 10 imports there is a real mix of great, good, bad and ugly.

Awvee Storey
Rick Rickert
Gary Wilkinson
Kevin Braswell
Cedric Jackson
Will Hudson
Kerron Johnson
Darnell Lazare
Ekene Ibekwe
Charles Jackson

Reply #584472 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Childress was reported to have played for not too much 1st season in, and a job for one of his travelling partners, which carried over to the next season also.

I am sure he'll be getting paid well this season but he also has some very good business sense and makes his money outside the game..Computing of some kind from memory.

Reply #584475 | Report this post

Crazy Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure how it works for the 10-day guys? The NBA league minimum, which I think is around $500k USD.
That's about $660k AUS at today's rate. But the D-League is something like $25k USD. If he can't land a longer term gig in the NBA, there's always Europe. He's a still very much a fringe NBA player, so he's not going to give up on that dream unless the offer is enticing. He supports his family, so a solid NBL contract might be attractive at the right money.

Reply #584731 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I think he's shown enough with the Pelicans to be picked up by them or another team for next season

Reply #584732 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think he has done enough to deserve another shot in the NBA next season

Reply #584734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 days pay around 40-60k

Reply #584735 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I believe he is on the fringe. Nearly at the level to stick on an NBA roster for a while but his not there just yet. Look at the Pelicans roster its shambles... Somebody has to score the points

Reply #584736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pelicans have stated they are impressed by Ennis and will look to retain his rights for next season. That sounds like a training camp contact as a worst case for James. Well done to him but there's next to no chance he'll be in the NBL next season

Reply #584741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754