Anonymous
Years ago

Ben Simmons won't be playing in Rio

Ben Simmons informed officials for Team Australia on Friday that he will not compete for the country's basketball team in the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

"Ben Simmons will postpone playing with the Australian Olympic team this summer in order to concentrate fully on his NBA activities following the upcoming 2016 NBA draft,'' Simmons' agent Rich Paul said in a statement. "Australian Olympic Team training and competition takes place at the same time as the various NBA summer development programs, and therefore, Ben will look forward to his national team participation at some time later in his career.''

Topic #39241 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And so it begins!

Reply #584569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is team USA I'm afraid, just watch

Reply #584578 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

He can't be his already played for the boomers his locked in

Reply #584580 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He can skip the trainings and still play. Not really a valid explanation. Could've just been honest and said "I don't wanna get injured because I prefer millions of dollars over Olympic medals"

Reply #584582 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I thought this was a given. That Bogut podcast a while back made it beyond obvious that he was not going to play. I think he is a little dirty from being left out last time and it would not be a bad thing for himself to have a one track mind given the pressure he will be under when he comes to the NBA. That said Olympics always seems to be a positive for guys and would have been nice to get him with the other boys.

Reply #584584 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Good decision imo. Get your pro situation worked out. There'll be plenty of opportunities down the track to rep Australia. It's not like he would have been playing major minutes anyway.

Reply #584586 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

This doesn't affect the Boomers chances one iota. He was never going to play many minutes. Worry about it for next World Cup.

Reply #584590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not being a part of the Boomers is the best things for Simmons concentrating on the draft is the smart thing to do.

Lets hope the Boomers can achieve a medal in RIO with the team they select. 2020 Olympics for the Boomers will be a near guarantee of a medal with the current college players who will have a few years of NBA experience under their belt.

#2020Boomers #OlympicMedal

Reply #584609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: Ben Simmons won't be playing in Rio
He can't be his already played for the boomers his locked in

What he played in was a tournament wasnt it? not an official comp, so yes I think he is eligible for USA

Reply #584621 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He has played for Australia at a junior world championship and a senior Oceania championship so he is ineligible to play for the USA unless BA release him and FIBA agrees to it AFAIK.

Not playing in Rio is a good move that will benefit both Ben and the Boomers. Ben can focus on getting his NBA career started and the Boomers can pick the team that will best help them win a medal.

Reply #584636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754