RMQ
Years ago

Brisbane sign Jervis and Petrie

Watch the fans react: https://streamable.com/4ox4

www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/brisbane-announce-jervis-petrie-as-new-additions/

Topic #39276 | Report this topic

kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha this truly is a golden age for WWE/NBL mashups.

Reply #585271 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

I just read that they've signed Mitch Young as well

Reply #585273 | Report this post

Hadouken  
Years ago

Gibbo + a bunch of big guys.

Reply #585277 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Kickert, Jervis, Petrie, Young and Torrey Craig. Building a nice front court! All they need is some scoring punch at the 2 spot next to Gibbo at the point and it looks like a pretty solid squad to start with.

Cool little fact, Jervis is married to Kickert's second cousin.

Reply #585279 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jervis-Kickert-Craig-Import?-Gibson is more than respectable, with Peach off the bench. Mitch Young can cover the 5 spot at a pinch, I guess. Seems to be a luxury buy rather than a real need.

Reply #585281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal could be headed there or the Hawks.

Reply #585283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should add depends on the Cats decision as Perth is his 1st choice to return to

Reply #585284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are SO full of SHIT.
Now even the NBL and the Brisbane Bullets are MAKING STUFF UP.

Reply #585285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane had to compete from the get go and they will, well done. And yes people are full of shit, thats life anon, but if you are coming to a forum full of us know it alls, then you have really come to the wrong place if your looking for the meaning of life or something!

Reply #585286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hehe, I enjoyed that little clip in the opening post! Better than the Lisch one... IMO

Reply #585288 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

^Haha thanks - Shorter is always better as well. and makes it a lot easier to make!

Reply #585290 | Report this post

djmenow  
Years ago

The Wildcats have announced officially as Jervis is gone to the Bullets so yes it is all official now.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/featured-news/tom-jervis-signs-with-brisbane-bullets/

Reply #585292 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

Im not sold on Brisbane yet.
I hope Jervis is a backup for Brisbanes sake, not sure he is good enough to compete with Ogilvy, Jawaii etc

Reply #585295 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

He is more than capable of competing with Ogilvy & Jawai.
He has signed on a three year deal & been pried away from his home state which makes me think he is going to start along side Kickert.
Lemanjis is obviously high on him. So i expect the big numbers which he is capable to come to fruition.

Jawai is the most over rated & out of shape player in the game.

Reply #585298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have short memories? Jawai was highly influential in the grand final series. And Wollongong could well have been champs if Ogilvy wasn't a non factor against Perth, because of jawai.

Reply #585301 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Damien Martin had a lot more influence on the Grand Final result than Jawai.

Reply #585302 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jawai is out of shape, no question, and has basically been out of shape since his heart issues in the NBA. Hard to question the impact he had on the court a couple of games in the post season for Perth though (and at various stages during the regular season). He's definitely an 'X-Factor' in that you never know which team he is going to hurt most game-to-game.

Reply #585303 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I agree....I think people focus too much on Jawai's negatives (albeit they are glaring) rather than his positives. Let's face it, if he didn't have the negatives he does (much like Randle) then he likely wouldn't be playing in the NBL.

Reply #585304 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Jawai won the championship for Perth....Martin was their best player.

Reply #585307 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

I have a good memory & don't think he was overly influential. He was protected by decent team defence & rotations as opposed to individually 'shutting Ogilvy out'.

I think people like to give Jawai credit just for the sake of it.

Good luck Tom Jervis.

Reply #585313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep when Perth Perimeter D struggled in game 2 and AJ got some nice post feeds in the right spots he destroyed Jawai one on one.

Game 3 was mostly the result of Perth disrupting the Hawks offence before it even got started.

Reply #585317 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

If my memory serves me correct Jervis was a top 10 in the league PER last season. Worthy of more playing time and see what he can do with it! Brisbane need a go to flat out scorer at the 2 spot. Hopefully will get a gun import

Reply #585332 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Ennis to brisvegas. Lock it in

Reply #585335 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Matt knight reportedly re-signing with Wildcats tomorrow according to ten news Perth

Reply #585336 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Disappointing.
I'd really like to know the inside story. Was he really sucked into moving for the mythical "more minutes" or did it simply come down to money?

Not knowing exactly what players get paid, its hard to speculate, but I have worried that the new "5 under $400k" would make it hard for players, like Jervis, who are sitting around the 7th~8th man mark in their existing teams.
As an example, if Perth keep their existing local starting trio, and sign 3 imports, that means that either Wagstaff or the 3rd import is going to be part of that $400k pool. Guys at the bottom, like Kenny & Hire won't be on massive deals, but they won't play for chicken poop either.

Reply #585645 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The five under $400K could be structured like this:

7th: $120K
8th: $100K
9th: $80K
10th: $59K
11th: $40K

It's not making a pauper out of anybody. You could even have your 7th making $160-180K if you're 9th, 10th and 11th were youngsters earning around the minimum.

Reply #585658 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It could be, it could be structured any way, but it all depends on who those players are and what they're getting paid.
For a team like Cairns, (which supposedly stays well under the cap) its probably not a biggy. But if you consider that the NBL has opened the doors at the top end of the floor, with the soft-cap, 3 imports, and Marquee rule, it seems weird to be restricting the bench in this way.
Keep in mind, that this is based on what the NBL assesses the player's WHOLE package to be worth.
Somebody like Wroe is probably more than happy to take the minimum salary, with the Cats proving a car and accommodation, and Kenny would also be happy with a relatively low salary on the same basis. But what will the league assess their total packages at???

I'm still a bit confused as to how this system will work. When does the league make these assessments?

Maybe the issue with Wagstaff/ Redhage/ Jervis/ Hire/ Kenny is that the league will access them at $XXXXX, regardless of what they actually agree to play for.

Reply #585723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754