RMQ
Years ago

Wildcats announcment coming tomorrow morning

As per their twitter.

Most likely Martin and Knight.

Topic #39278 | Report this topic

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Martin took up his option as did wagstaff already, money is on knight. Don't think it will be any new additions just yet.

Norton, would be a nice replacement for Martin to take over and lead a new breed of cats.

Reply #585338 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

About the cats get wa born and bred clint steindl........

Reply #585339 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

That would be all well and good if Steindl wasn't born in Mackay

Reply #585341 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Kobe

Reply #585342 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Red74 - I think your getting Stiendl and Cam Gliddon mixed up.
I think Jervis leaving would be the sacrafice Perh made to keep Knight and add Motum. Perhaps the Motum deal will be the announcement.

Reply #585344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Motum would be announced before he concludes his season in Europe.

Reply #585345 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

My bad....

Reply #585346 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Isn't it protocol around here to post wildly inaccurate things?

Reply #585347 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If he does in fact sign, it's going to be interesting to see how Motum slots into the Wildcats. He's got the right personality for it, but he's a big departure from their style of play, being a lot more effective on one end of the court than the other.

Reply #585350 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Channel ten tonight suggested it as Knight.

Would love to have Steindl and Norton playing at the jungle on a regular basis.

Reply #585365 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Prather signing.

Reply #585371 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

Could it be Nick Kay?
Jervis and Jawaii leaving opens up some cash for him and would fit nicely with Matt Knight

Reply #585372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be happy with Kay as the Jervis replacement.

Reply #585373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most likely Knightand Beal coming back

Reply #585374 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Back Court:
Knight, Motum, Prather vs Jervis, Kickert and Craig

with bench of Wagstaff and Hire(?) vs Petrie and Young.

Front court

Martin Vs Gibson/Bruce

Beal vs ?

Reply #585391 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Motum is not coming to Perth. The crap people think up here is amazing.

He still has a player option to remain in the Euroleague for the next season.

Pretty sure a top tier Aussie product in his prime will remain there as opposed to an 8 team NBL competition.

Reply #585394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait so is he NOT coming? Or are you pretty sure?

Reply #585395 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Why would you even think he is coming? Because some anonymous know it all here, who has nothing to even do with basketball circles, said so...?

It's a bit embarrassing sometimes reading the stuff on here & people just automatically assume its true.

I'd say 30% of the stuff on here is solid/accurate info, the rest is just made up to give others a laugh i'm assuming.

Reply #585396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Back Court:
Knight, Motum, Prather vs Jervis, Kickert and Craig

with bench of Wagstaff and Hire(?) vs Petrie and Young.

Front court

Martin Vs Gibson/Bruce

Beal vs ?"

You have your front and back courts mixed up.

Reply #585397 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

^^ i rest my case.....

Reply #585398 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

And FYI the announcement will just be Knight & Wagstaff on 2 year extensions, respectively.

Reply #585399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"respectively."

^^ i rest my case.....

Reply #585400 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Power pair sign new deals

The Perth Wildcats are excited to announce that two big parts of their championship frontcourt will be staying with the team in 2016/17 and beyond.

Matt Knight has inked a two-year deal and will play his seventh and eighth seasons for the Wildcats, while Jesse Wagstaff has also significantly extended his contract with the club.

Knight is arguably one of the most important pieces of the Wildcats puzzle.

The 204cm, 109kg big man has played in four Grand Finals for the Wildcats, winning championships in both 2014 and 2016.

"I'm really pleased to be staying in Perth," said Knight.

“Coming off another championship, we really have a rare opportunity to build a special legacy at the Wildcats and I want to be a part of that.”

In 2015/16, Knight enjoyed a relatively injury-free season, totaling eight double-doubles while averaging a solid 11.5 points and 7.9 rebounds per outing.

Meanwhile, Jesse Wagstaff remaining at the Wildcats makes him one of the most loyal players in club history.

The 29-year-old has played all 217 of his NBL games with the club after joining the team as a rookie in 2009.

His contract has now been extended by two years, which will see him remain a Wildcat until at least the end of the 2018/19 NBL season.

Wagstaff was outstanding in the recent 2016/17 campaign, averaging 9.3 points and 4.0 rebounds off the bench while becoming a championship player for the third time.

He is excited to be remaining in Perth.

“I’ve been here for seven years now and over that time we’ve been pretty successful and kept a pretty close core. I think that stability has been a big part of our success,” he said.

“Being a one-team player does mean a lot to me, it’s kind of all I’ve known. I guess it’s nice to be with that one organisation and it’s something I’m pretty proud of.”

Perth Wildcats assistant coach Adam Forde explained the importance of re-signing these two core players.

“They’ve established a good history here, not just on the court but they’re a big part of the team chemistry off the court,” he said.

“Those two guys really compliment each other. Jesse, with his outside range, can really stretch the floor and shoot the three and Matty’s still one of the best back-to-the-basket dominant bigs in the league.

“To have those two back really ticks a lot of boxes for us.”

Expect more player announcements from Perth Wildcats headquarters soon.

Reply #585401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

farrison you think prather is coming back?

Reply #585402 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Prather coming back is much more realistic than Motum.

I dont think Prather has done enough to generate any significant interest from NBA scouts. At best he may have a summer league offer on the table.

Unless he has a big dollar deal presented to him to head to Europe (which i feel is unlikely also), coming back to Perth makes sense for both himself & Perth.

We will see i guess.

Reply #585404 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/31390113/wildcats-sweat-on-jawai/

Perth still hoping for Jawai and also looking at Ibekwe if that falls through.

Reply #585499 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"Sweating on Jawai" Wow what a pun!

Reply #585531 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Jawai would go through 8 towels before tip offs.

The highlight of games would be watching players reaction to being passed back a jawai used towel. Greg Hire was never amused.

Reply #585536 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If they are looking at Jawai still, I guess Motum isn't a given, unless they hope to play him at the 3.

Reply #585537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Ibekew, Motum, Knight and Wagstaff is a very good frontcourt infact it would be hard to top it but as mentioned Motum is no certainty.

BTW, Perth should cut their losses with Jawai and move on. Not worth the time and effort.

Reply #585539 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know where the Motum speculation springs from?
Sure, the "Local Marquee" rule makes such a signing "possible," but then really it always was, provided the player didn't have a better option in Europe.
Even if the Cats (or another team) had the cash, its difficult to see a player turning their back on a promising Euroleague (or even Eurocup) career, for the uncertainty of the NBL.

For mine, the interesting comment from Marvin was that they could afford to wait on Jawai, because they could always sign an import in his place.
Is he simply referring to roles within the team, or is he saying that Jawai staying would effect the quality of the 3rd import, or indeed if a 3rd import was required?

Interesting to know what their plans are to back up the 5 spot. Anyone know what Luke Nevill is doing? LOL

Reply #585644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please re - sign Jawai.

Reply #585646 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Um, please don't.

Reply #585664 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Considering the number of guys out of contract, it has been very slow for announcements.
I'm assuming Damo is still locked in, but that only makes 3.

I gather the Cats feel they can be patient with their imports, and simply sign new ones if the old don't return. But that also leaves the bench hanging.

Everything fell into place last season, but lightening rarely strikes twice.

Reply #585987 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It is estimated that lightning strikes approximately 100 times each second

Reply #585999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754