RMQ
Years ago

Wildcats re-sign Knight and Wagstaff

Gleeson's reaction: https://streamable.com/5i9i

Power pair sign new deals

The Perth Wildcats are excited to announce that two big parts of their championship frontcourt will be staying with the team in 2016/17 and beyond.

Matt Knight has inked a two-year deal and will play his seventh and eighth seasons for the Wildcats, while Jesse Wagstaff has also significantly extended his contract with the club.

Knight is arguably one of the most important pieces of the Wildcats puzzle.

The 204cm, 109kg big man has played in four Grand Finals for the Wildcats, winning championships in both 2014 and 2016.

"I'm really pleased to be staying in Perth," said Knight.

“Coming off another championship, we really have a rare opportunity to build a special legacy at the Wildcats and I want to be a part of that.”

In 2015/16, Knight enjoyed a relatively injury-free season, totaling eight double-doubles while averaging a solid 11.5 points and 7.9 rebounds per outing.

Meanwhile, Jesse Wagstaff remaining at the Wildcats makes him one of the most loyal players in club history.

The 29-year-old has played all 217 of his NBL games with the club after joining the team as a rookie in 2009.

His contract has now been extended by two years, which will see him remain a Wildcat until at least the end of the 2018/19 NBL season.

Wagstaff was outstanding in the recent 2016/17 campaign, averaging 9.3 points and 4.0 rebounds off the bench while becoming a championship player for the third time.

He is excited to be remaining in Perth.

“I’ve been here for seven years now and over that time we’ve been pretty successful and kept a pretty close core. I think that stability has been a big part of our success,” he said.

“Being a one-team player does mean a lot to me, it’s kind of all I’ve known. I guess it’s nice to be with that one organisation and it’s something I’m pretty proud of.”

Perth Wildcats assistant coach Adam Forde explained the importance of re-signing these two core players.

“They’ve established a good history here, not just on the court but they’re a big part of the team chemistry off the court,” he said.

“Those two guys really compliment each other. Jesse, with his outside range, can really stretch the floor and shoot the three and Matty’s still one of the best back-to-the-basket dominant bigs in the league.

“To have those two back really ticks a lot of boxes for us.”

Expect more player announcements from Perth Wildcats headquarters soon.

Topic #39283 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How exciting, I was actually worried the 36ers would consider Wagstaff! Dazz will be happy.

Reply #585412 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Worried about Wagstaff? he's one of the best stretch 4s going around! Would have been an ideal cover for the loss of Petrie.

Reply #585414 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kay would be the ideal replacement for Petrie!

Reply #585419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah I dont like his game, cant sit there and complain about how he flops and ruins the game then want him on your own team. Kay would definitely be ideal, as for Wagstaff, glad he stays in WA.

Reply #585422 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I'm crossing my fingers for Kay to the Sixers as well.

Reply #585429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Kay to the wildcats to replace Jervis or will they go the third import here?

Reply #585453 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Burston would be a handy replacement for Jervis.

Reply #585482 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Burston is a 36 year old bust. He is not a good replacement.

Reply #585502 | Report this post

Rashad  
Years ago

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/31390113/wildcats-sweat-on-jawai/

Cats' waiting on a decision from Jawai, however I think he's unlikely to return. They are also in talks with Ekene Ibekwe

Reply #585519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking yesterday after he re-signed, Knight said he hoped to see Jawai back next season so he could remain playing at his favoured power forward position.

"Hopefully we can get him back here, I definitely don't want to move back to that five spot, I was very happy in the four spot this year," he said.

The motum rumour sounding shaky, even more so since the original poster said that would signal the end of knight in Perth

Reply #585556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ibekwe could be a great fit alongside knight since he's a shot blocker, athletic and has a solid mid range game

Reply #585558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was knight playing the four spot a key to him staying healthy last year? Banging against smaller bodies would take less of a toll. His comment about not wanting to play centre would indicate that.

Reply #585559 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

expect to see a damo extension soon as well

Reply #585576 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Motum was never a realistic option. He could command huge money overseas and as mentioned before he has a player option on his contract over in Europe. He could earn way more then he can here.

Perth should really move on from Jawai not worth the time and effort

Reply #585578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know about way more. Didn't the Lithuanian league publish the salaries of what the top earners were on last season and Motum was on something in the $300k-$350k range?

That could've been US dollars and sometimes in Europe other expenses are taken care of. I remember when David Andersen was at his peak in Russia he was on more than $1 million a year but I think it was tax free with free accommodation, free food, free personal cook, all bills paid for etc

Reply #585587 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Speaking yesterday after he re-signed, Knight said he hoped to see Jawai back next season so he could remain playing at his favoured power forward position.

"Hopefully we can get him back here, I definitely don't want to move back to that five spot, I was very happy in the four spot this year," he said.

Ironically, it was starting Jervis (when others were injured) that reminded people that Knight could play the 4 alongside a dedicated 5. He also lacks a little height and reach when compared to some of the 7ft guys.
But with two big guys up front, (and that seems to be the way the NBL is going) it leaves room for a genuine SF, which is why Prather was so successful.

Reply #585728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Knight continue on the guy is battered and concussed the fk out basically. Quite dangerous to keep playing.

Reply #586315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754