In the Know
Years ago

The BASA Top Job

With the resignation yesterday, the talk now is who will replace the top job. I hope that they interview extensivly to find a good replacment. Interesting to read that Tim Johnson may come back. He wasn't too bad.

Boti's article

Topic #3929 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

Not trying to stir the pot, but I am interested who people would think be a good replacement.

Reply #45819 | Report this post

Mark Brayshaw (Former Richmond FC C.E.O, and Melbourne Magic marketing manager) , MMM's the cage's James Brayshaw brother

Peter Ali (for basketball reason) by all accounts wasnt allowed to do anything when in the NBL top job so dont hold that against him.

Reply #45824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

honestly for Isaac's sake I think this topic should be left alone

I think he will wear the brunt as indeed we all will if this site is shut down

although I believe we are all interested in the future of basketball.

let's discuss it in real life and not cause Isaac more grief.

Reply #45826 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This discussion is about a crucial topic so I will allow any reasonable comments. Please refrain from discussing past performance, do not mention the roleholder immediately past and keep it positive. I think this can still be an interesting thread if all abide by those guides. If you must use the word "ceo", make it "C.E.O.". Play fair, OK?

Boti's article

The potential separation of the 36ers and the association into separate entities would make the role more desirable for top sporting and business names such as Tim Johnson, Peter Ali, David Spear, James Fantasia, Garry Calvert, Tim Ginever and Chris Moraitis.
What's Paul Maley up to?

Reply #45828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Maley works for a place called KIK Australia with his wife Kari in melbourne

KIK are a media/event type organisation

Reply #45833 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

BOTI NAGY!!

Reply #45837 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Does this signify the major reshuffling of roles and relationships between the clubs the sixers and the fellas?

With pressures on from the government to see some reforms and the top job now available surely the board will take this opportuntity to restructure and move forward in a positive fashion.

Reply #45839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti Nagy, Another stupid post.

Reply #45850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Davis, Chairman of the Board.

See if Lindsay Gaze is still alive, I mean available.

Ray Wood.

Sapwell... Gotta bank on him!

Reply #45855 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

nice!

Reply #45857 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

Come on People, what a load of rubbish. I think you will find that the job is in the bag for Mr. Basketball South Australia, ABL life member, Mr. Jump Hook and all round good guy Paul Belly Ballbags.

Any Thoughts?

Reply #45859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think he would be under-qualified.

He has, and is, doing a great job, but the person to be the Cheif Executive Officer of BASA would need years of experience in the business world, AND preferably a basketball background.

Reply #45861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does the person have to have a basketball background ? What the job calls for is an astute business person who knows how to run a sporting organisation. The principals to do that carry across all sports. I think anyone who thinks that only a "basketball person" doesn't have a handle on what its all about.

Reply #45885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball is a unique sport. We have seen the problems somebody who does not have an international sporting backgrounds has with understanding the specific challenges basketball provides. Plus in SA we have a very club orientated system where alienating clubs can put the association in a difficult spot because the club actualy own the association.

We need a good business perons with some basketball understanding or even international sports understanding.

Reply #45886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, you haven't given one unique feature that basketball has over other sports. Most clubs own their association thus the name association. To think only a "basketball person" knows what it is all about is very nieve !

Reply #45894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't Paul Bell have a business background?

he has or runs his own business, he has been behind getting the academy off the ground and getting funding etc isn't easy ask any club how easy it is to find sponsors.

he has also been instrumental in getting tv and radio hoops programs albiet on minor stations.

why not Rob Lindsay, believe he held or holds a top govt position, has basketball knowledge, calm sensible, affable nature.

Reply #45896 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anonymous #45826, I don't think this topic should be left alone. Its in every Sixer's fan's best interest to know what is happening as far as a replacement for the top job goes. Myself, just like every other passionate basketball fan wants someone who is going to be successful and ensure the survival of the Sixers. It would be a real tragedy if the club folded due to mis management and we would all be hurt by it. I believe that the successful applicant should not only have a good business management background but also a good understanding and enjoyment of the sport. Its a known fact that you do well the things you enjoy doing. Having a passion for the sport is like having an additional qualification for the job as it enhances the success rate.

Reply #45902 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

It is interesting to note that the board in it's August review meeting is tipped to recommend a formal separation of the BASA & 36ers identities.

However, if they only have the 1 C.E.O. for both, I cant see how this would work.

Reply #45905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Passion is important, but business ability is more important. And ideally you would like someone with both.

Passion has only gotten Eddy Everywhere so far at Collingwood!

Reply #45924 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Mark Robinson (former C.E.O Melbourne Tigers and ex 36er staffer) would be a good fit for the new exciting attitude that seems to be in existence with staff, seeing some new ideas get off the ground (through Paul Bauer's group mainly).

Interesting to see that David Spear indicated some interest in Boti's article.

What about Darryl Pearce? Isn't he off running a business somewhere?

Reply #45942 | Report this post

bad PR  
Years ago

You're presuming any of these people would even WANT the role. Wonder if Phillip would've taken the job had he known what was lurking beneath the surface financially. He has been given a bad wrap for trying to fill a leaky jar, and anyone close enough to the organisation to fall into the 'basketball background' and 'passionate' categories wouldn't want to be appointed captain of the titanic. There is a way out, but it involves a separation of entities, re-allocation of govt monies and a better dispersal of current BASA staff.
Peter Ali is the ONLY choice if he is brave enough to take it.

Reply #45968 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Vidmar would take the job, but there'd have to be a huge salary to entice him. Anyone have any idea what the remuneration package would be worth?

Reply #45970 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

You would think it would be near to $100 000. Sepereate identidy is needed to move basketball forward in the right direction.

Reply #46092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Know - i think it would be around double that.

CEO position would (IMO) pay a package worth around $200,000 - $250,000

Reply #46093 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Thats a lot of money. Do you reckon its that high? Certainly would be interested to know an exact figure. Thats a lot of money for what the person does.

Reply #46094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oops. ill try again

my guess/estimate of the package would be

Salary $150,000 - $175,000
Car Allowance $50,000
Bonus/super $50,000 (on top of regular 9%)

Compared to other Company Cheif Executive Officers, its on the lower end of the scale.

It is certainly a tough gig, insetead of just trying to please shareholders, there are fans, sponsors, players, staff to remember.

I dropped my resume in late last week, but think i am some what under-qualified.

Reply #46096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say you probably are, not being able to spell the title of the position correctly.....

Reply #46102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Panther would be in the running for this job. He seems to be an expert on everthing.

Reply #46105 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What about Chris Lucas? He runs a very successful business, and has been involved with BASA for a long time.

Reply #46108 | Report this post

lean to  
Years ago

Everybody keeps talking about the need for the C.E.O to have a passion for the sport and/or the club. What a lot of crap. The C.E.O needs to be an outstanding business manager and people manager. The business management aspect goes without saying whilst the people management aspect will mean that they have the ability to interact with people who are passionate about the sport and generate feedback and ideas from these people. Other sports have had very successful leaders who have had little prior knowledge of the sport and/or organisation. Sometimes it can even be an advantage. Not saying that those close to the sport should be ignored just that it shouldn't be a pre-requisite to be involved in hoops.

Reply #46111 | Report this post

lean to  
Years ago

to clarify - it can be an advantage because they have no pre conceived ideas.

Reply #46156 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754