Tornado
Years ago

Clint Steindl to sign with the 36ers?

Fellow former Crocodile Nick Kay has also been heavily linked with the Hawks, while Clint Steindl looks likely to join the Adelaide 36ers and Mitch Young looks appears set to join the Brisbane Bullets.

Article: http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/ex-croc-mitch-norton-finds-new-nbl-home-with-illawarra-hawks/news-story/41d0d46368e772e584f09b7c30b53900

Topic #39294 | Report this topic

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Clint looks like exactly what the 36ers need.
A tall SG with good shooting % will be great next to Randle.
36ers were missing some good 3pt shooters last season, if they can pick up an import that can shoot 3s as well it will make Randle very hard to defend.

Reply #585661 | Report this post

The Wombat  
Years ago

I'd heard it was down to Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane.

Really thought/hoped he'd wind up at the Bullets.

Reply #585663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope this is true

Reply #585665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid signing imo, effectively replacing ebi ere & giving us 3 point shooting we have needed.

If walker sticks around

Would mean we could replace Gibson & petrie with imports

So looks promising

Hopefully at worse they can get lance hurdle to replace Gibson (someone more dave Thomas mould ideal imo) and ibekwe (rumored to be talking to him) for petrie

Those moves should all be basically minor upgrades and should put us in playoff contention again.

Id be trying to sign bj anthony as 11th man if possible too.

Reply #585667 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good pickup for Adelaide if so. He should be one of the most coveted free agents out there, IMO.

Reply #585668 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Provides length in the back court which I think is important given Randles deficiencies.

Can cover both the SG/SF positions.

Also provides that outside threat which we sorely lack and is important for Randle not only to keep the lanes open but to provide him with someone to dish to on the perimeter.

He has all the attributes to thrive in Joeys run n gun style.

Reply #585673 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I would be super happy with this pick up. The few games that Ebi was knocking the 3 we looked unbeatable. If Steindl can provide that consistantly, it is going to be fun to watch.

Obviously a better defender than Ebi too, which isn't hard.

Reply #585676 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Don't go too crazy guys, according to Boti there are other teams throwing more money at him...

Reply #585686 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ have been also chasing Kay while he's over here playing NZNBL and are expected to meet with Rob Loe.

Rueben TeRangi has been told to explore other options after he told the Breakers what he was expecting to resign for and Tai Wesley is exploring his options after he turned down NZ's first offer.

NZ have hoped that Ced Jackson would return but aren't going to get into a bidding war with United.

Shea Ili and Finn Delaney are going well in the NZNBL, Ili is expected to find himself playing backup PG but Delaney may find himself with a contract but other options include Leon Henry and Duane Bailey.

Reply #585699 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Sounds like a bit of a shake up for NZ, they have had a pretty settled roster for a while.

Reply #585701 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Webster, Penney, Abercrombie, Vukona and Pledger they'll be settled enough.

Reply #585702 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Perth needs a big, why not Wesley?. He and Knight down low would be a pretty good combo.

Reply #585718 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Are we seeing the upshots of the new cap regime i.e. players getting a bit more money orientated than in previous years.

Can't help but think in years past, Te Rangi, Wesley, Pledger and Jackson wouldn't explore/sign on with Aussie clubs as it appears they will do. I put Pledger in that group because he did explore Brisbane.

Wesley was getting a damn good run of it with the Breakers i thought and probably would have even more seniority this year with Vukona continuing to age.

Te Rangi still has upside but if you look plainly at his ANBL stats, they make for absolutely horrible reading and can understand if he wasn't in demand by an aussie club. Don't get greedy Reuben..you have to recognise you may not be as good as what you think you are. If you give up the Breakers deal, it will be 10x harder to try get it back..especially with the talent coming through.

Reply #585733 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Could Wesley not coming back to the breakers have anything to do with Vukona choking him in an NZNBL game recently?

Reply #585738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is so overrated...minus defender and doesn't give enough on O as needs to be sat on wing hoping his man rotates and he gets wide open look.

Gives very little else

Reply #585740 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agreed TeRangi will probably find he isn't as in demand as he thought he would be.
A change in scenery may do him some good but I can't see any clubs wanting to throw much cash his way based on his output and then his recent off court history.
Bailey was playing well in the UK and is back now for the Southland Sharks and could be a viable replacement.

Reply #585747 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

What is TeRangi thinking? If he is not keen on suiting for the Breakers again he'll find himself out of the league.

Reply #585766 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I am not even sure what Te Rangi does to qualify himself as a basketball player.

Reply #585767 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

He's good at running into screens

Reply #585768 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

in his defence Rueben is still pretty young

Reply #585772 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Part of me is annoyed that a thread about a Townsville player signing with the 36ers has turned into majority chat about the NZ Breakers. Is the 36ers off-season really that boring?

Reply #585776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly KET it is non existent. But if you say so the same old know it all a will come down hard from their keyboards. 36ers are being very lazy in many ways this off season.

Reply #585779 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

MACDUB - can't be sure it's a money thing. Too many confounding factors - impending change of ownership, change in coaching, Penney returning, internal disharmony during the middle of last season.

KET - so far, yes it has been that boring. I note this thread didn't originate from anything the club put out. In the club's defence though, the 36ers only have 6 player spots to fill and have most of their starting spots already filled (if you can trust the NBL free agents' list - Tom Jervis says you can't).

Reply #585794 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Apparently other clubs are throwing more cash at Steindl....

Joey is waiting for all the money chasing to die down but in the meantime is talking to some very good names by all reports.

Reply #585799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only hope its the likes of Ebe again, he was spoken about this time last season as a potential star and the other one that was woeful, then got injured.

Reply #585802 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Not sure the Breakers are being sold but more so people have been invited to invest in the franchise.
The new Coach was the former assistant and one of the franchises longest serving players and Coached Reuban in Southland so I don't think there is any instability there driving these issues.
TeRangi wants more money and a bigger role but his performances to date don't support these demands so the Breakers have invited him to test the waters elsewhere.
The market will determine his worth.

Reply #585808 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love Clint Steindl and really hope Perth are trying to throw money his way as he has the ability to really get the Perth fans out of their chairs with his athleticism and his shooting ability... It's just getting that out of him on a consistent basis.

Now someone I don't like, Rueben Te Rangi, yes he seems useless on a basketball court but he will still be one of the youngest players in the league and if I'm not mistaken he is still Developmebt Player age so I think if he can get his shit together and his shot to drop then he could be very valuable.

As for Adelaide and their offseason movement... Didn't Townsville make more noise than the 36ers?

Reply #585809 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

TeRangi is 22 this year I believe

Reply #585821 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah that's what I thought Mystro, two years younger than what some DPs will be this season, it's certainly not all doom and gloom for the young fella.

I'm guessing you've seen a lot more of him than I have (Mystro) so what does Rueben do that's elite or does he just do a lot of things ok?

Reply #585826 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

In the NZNBL he is able to bully players with his size and strength but in the NBL the players are just as big and strong. His outside shooting percentages have fallen dramatically from season to season after having a very good rookie campaign with the North Harbour Heat and he just hasn't really played up to his potential.
A few people have said that he has always just relied on his natural talent rather than work his ass off to improve his game and the reason he chose the Breakers over the College pathway was that his grades weren't up to scratch. This was from a couple of people who played in the same age group with and against him and a girl who's playing NCAA now who played a lot of the same age group tournaments as TeRangi.

He sounds lazy to me.
As you said, at 22 it isn't all doom and gloom but he does need to get on track quickly if he wants to make the most of his opportunities.

Reply #585827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ will need a PG wth similar skills and class of Cedric to bridge the large gap with Perth. Losing Cedric is a huge blow. Having said that It will be interesting how Cedric co-exsist with Goulding and Holt. All ball dominante players

Reply #585828 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ will sign another import PG and Shea ili will play backup. They have decent scouts in the US and have the money to get a decent player if Ced does in fact leave.
Penney, Webster, Abercrombie, Vukona, Pledger is a pretty good start.

Reply #585829 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Of course the last time Ced left they got a dud replacement. It's always a bit of a gamble

Reply #585831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So yeah the 36er recruiting drive has been phenomenal... Only rumour worthy of interest has been taken over by NZ and terangi the bloke who beat the shit out of some one after a local league match... Go you 6ers go

Reply #585837 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Speaking of which, is that impacting his play? I seem to remember he dropped off significantly right around the time that happened.

Reply #585850 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Prewster is a free agent and playing well in the NZNBL for the saints and would be a solid replacement for TeRangi.
TeRangi's performances did suffer around the time of his court case for assault.

Reply #585851 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

After losing Gibson and Petrie why can't they find the cash to offer Steindl ?

Reply #585854 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Master Chief...feel they can get better for the money with the import spots.

Doesn't make sense over paying for a player when you can get as good or better for less.

We have some good players on the books already with 2 import spots left to fill....patience isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reply #585862 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I would be going for Steindl plus the two imports though.

Reply #585870 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Master Chief...I agree but at the right price. Pay too much for Steindl and it can/will affect the level of import(s) you can recruit.

Reply #585884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it might be worth being a bit more aggressive towards Steindl. I dont know what other teams are offering though so not really qualified to judge too much.

I just find it interesting that Adelaide can't trump these other teams that have already spent some serious coin on their roster. Especially with guys like Hodgson, Sobey and Teys not likely to be breaking the bank.

If they simply can't afford him plus two good imports than so be it.

Reply #585886 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Steindl is exactly what the 36ers need and hoping some gun 3pt shooting import falls through the cracks just isn't going to happen. Our recent history of picking dud imports says it all. The Randle's rarely happen.

Cortez Groves
Craig Winder
Troy DeVries
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
John Williamson
CJ Massingale
Scott Christopherson
Jarrid Frye
Daequon Montreal
Kenyon McNeail
Ebi Ere

Reply #585887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac is right imo, the 36ers are really bad at picking imports, like its depressing how bad. Joey Wright talks a good game, but on his watch alone DQ Ebi and the one that did his shoulder (but was shite before that), worries me as a season ticket holder. If a Steindl type is available pay him the import money, his sheer presence will spread the defense for Randle to drive.... Basketball is a simple game, keep it that way.

Reply #585888 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

"We've put the brakes on and will wait until the dust settles," Wright said of the frenzied free agent market.

“That’s not to say we’re not talking with anyone, we’re in conversations with a lot of free agents but right now everyone is chasing the highest dollar.”

Wright remains unconcerned at the heightened off-season activity and spent the weekend in Melbourne watching SEABL matches.

“There’s a lot of recruitable guys in the SEABL and the calibre of player there has been upgraded,” he said.

Wright also will make his annual pilgrimmage to Las Vegas to attend the NBA Summer League in July, confident he again can assemble a contender.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-play-waiting-game-until-nbl-free-agent-dashforcash-dust-settles/news-story/7bfc187a6fa32a4bbd7c0c2f345ec86b

Reply #585915 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

FWIW I thought McNeill was a good signing based on what I saw of him before the injury. I think they were a bit unlucky there.

Reply #585920 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I would be happy to have him back to form a sweet shooting backcourt if it meant they could go hard at a quality defensive 4 man

Reply #585922 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

AngusH - IIRC McNeail, Williamson, Frye and de Vries all had injury problems.

Reply #585927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DQ as well, that complete dud was one of Joey's picks, from Dandenong after another 'pilgrimage to Vegas'... pretty sure he just puts a party trip on the 36ers $$ smh.

Reply #585928 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's weird, for some reason people seem to think that the changes have somehow opened up a bunch of cash for 2nd-tier local players.
If anything, I think the opposite is true.

Apart from Brissy, there's probably no more cash to splash around than in previous years. Yet teams will be chasing extra imports and/or "local" marquees. And by "local" we mean guys who would otherwise be playing in Europe. Whilst at the other end we now have the cap applied to the 5 lowest paid players.
These 2nd-tier guys are going to find it harder to land a starting spot, and there's really only a thin island between the top 4~5, and the bottom 4~5.

Reply #585955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754