drake
Years ago

Rockets need an overhaul

Dwight on a steep decline so he must be let go

Ariza :Averaged 6 points against the Warriors in the playoffs on 18% from the 3pt line..

Corey Brewer: Might be one of the worst role players in the league. Just a horrible player.However his 8 million guaranteed contract for the next two years will make him hard to move.

Terry:Will retier.

Harden :After a slow start to the year after the allstar break led the league in scoring and carried them to the playoffs when they probably should have tanked to keep their 1st round pick instead.Clearly a top 5 player in the NBA and is a keeper . Just need a coach who will force him to play D and move better off the ball.

Beverley:Average role player forced into a starting role because of no other option and Lawson being a total bust.

Capela: Great,great young prospect with size and immense potential to be a double double center for the next 6 to 8 years.

They will have a ton of money and cap space with room for two max players. Get Jeff Van Gundy as the coach to fix the D and just tweak the offence and this team with an influx of two max players and upgraded bench they should have a better year.

Topic #39318 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont care what his stats say, Harden is far from a top five player in the league.

Reply #586116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On what planet is Harden clearly a top 5 player? Steph, Kawhi, LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, CP3 and I'd personally take the second best two way player PG any day of the week over him. I guess you've seen plenty of him though haven't you Drake.

Lead the league in scoring you say, he also set the record the most turnovers ever in an NBA season (ABA one is crazy). Looking at the top 4 teams I couldn't imagine a scenario where Harden can be the best player on a championship team.

Reply #586118 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Trade Harden whilst he can at least garner interest from teams due to his age (still only 26). Means Houston could still get some good pieces for him.

Houston can retain him for a few years if they want, but a) they won't do any better and b) by the end of those few years Harden's trade worth would have declined even further.

He is tracking a similar path to Carmelo. A lot of teams wanted Melo in his last F.Agency..now very few teams do (his contract situation is also another factor i know).

Reply #586125 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

FWIW, I don't have Harden in the top 30 players, let a lone the top 5. That's from a talent POV.

But if i was selecting a team, i'd say that there were 50 or more guys than I would select before Harden.

Reply #586126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden is simply a glorifed professional scorer. He is also a known loser.

Reply #586127 | Report this post

ammo  
Years ago

Westbrook better then Harden? How did the Thunder go without DURANT last season with Westbrook as their leader? Right out of the PLAYOFFS RACE.

Harden dosent play defence but he is better then Westbrook and Paul. Kawahi LBJ,Durant, Curry are ALL BETTER PLAYERS but after that it is a tossup.

Reply #586129 | Report this post

ammo  
Years ago

Macdub you cant be serious? not top 50 or 30? at worst he is top 10. Just last season he was the MVP runner up

Reply #586130 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Harden has 3 issues he needs to address.

1:Defensive awareness which is farsical. He gets caught ball watching and gambles a lot on the defensive end and gets blown by to easily. Needs to learn how to react better and move his feet

Turnovers: He makes a lot of careless bounce passes which are to easy to ready and pick off. Granted he actually does possess pretty good playmaking ability, but he tends to make some silly mistake with the ball.

Maturity and conditioning: This is what is probably is the root of all of his defensive problems are turnovers. Sure he played with a bad ankle all throught the season, but he was rerally out of shape this season and it showed.

BTW, I posted with a handle I have from another forum as ammo.

Reply #586131 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

I also think he really needs a coach who can instill some grit and mental toughness into him. A hardnosed coach like Jeff Van Gundy ill do him wonders.

Reply #586132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would Harden have gone leading the same Durant-less Thunder team? Nowhere near the playoffs!

What a silly comparison.

Reply #586134 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Really? Harden carried the howard less rockets to the second seed in the west with 56 wins and all the way to the WCF's? How is it silly?

Reply #586135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden isnt in the same league as Westbrook, Russ can break a game open in so many ways. Im done, cant read this crap hah

Reply #586137 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Yep no real argument left to be made. That is all you have left?

Reply #586141 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

As I said in the other thread about the Rockets, I think they need to let Howard go and go in a new direction.

I think the biggest need is at pg. Conley or Teague would be perfect here as theyre both good all round players who are ok with not being the man, but are also able to step up and make big shots.

Beverly is good, but in my mind is a backup pg.

Next you need some shooting from the pf or c and let Capela play the other spot. Ryan Anderson would be great here. I said in the other thread Nick Vucevic, who is under contract, but word is the Magic are after Howard, so he'd become available if that is the case.

Most importantly, they need a coach who can call Harden out. No more untested guys with no track record. Jvg would be perfect. Really hope that happens.

Reply #586142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is no one will go to Houston to play with Harden, who would want to play with someone like that.

Reply #586145 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I would ;-)

Reply #586146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its silly to compare how Harden fared with a Howard-less Rockets to how Westbrook fared with a Durant-less Thunder.
It ignores so many other things, like how the remaining Rockets players stacked up against the remaining Thunder players, or that Durant and Westbrook both missed 16 games at the start of the season where the Thunder lost 12 of those.

Also, Howard played 41 games in that season, Durant played 27. Houston won 11 more games than OKC so if either Durant played another 14 games, or OKC didn't play 16 games missing both their stars, then you could say they would easily have won another 11 games.

So yeah, no real argument left to be made...

Reply #586147 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Considering Harden is having a say in the new coach, I doubt they are going to sign one that will bust his balls until he plays decent D.

I think they should trade him if they can get a decent return.

Maybe Boston are interested, one of the Nets unprotected picks would be tempting.
If they could get this years Nets and Mavericks picks from Boston they should go for it.

Get a new GM that actually understands team chemistry ands wants to build a team not just a bunch of assets to use in trades.

Reply #586148 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I respect Harden as a scorer who knows how to milk the refs and defenders' incompetence but I would never have him on my team.

People complained that nobody would go to the Lakers while Kobe was there, and I agree with the comment above that good players won't go to Houston while Harden is there. Same with New York while Carmelo is there.

It might seem fine being paid millions per season to be on the same team as these ball-hogging studs, but if your career is going to go downhill as a scorer because you don't see much of the ball, then I can't see too many young and ambitious players liking it.

Why oh why did they ever get rid of McHale?!

Reply #586149 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Trade Harden NOW while he is still somewhat respected and still has some cache, and get as many draft picks and assets you can for him. The LOLakers will be looking for a new "Star", trade him there for some of their youth maybe, if they're stupid enough to take it of course.

Let D12 go as well, and rebuild from the ground up.

I personally can't stand Harden as a player, especially as a so-called "Star". If I was a GM building a new team from scratch, he wouldn't even get a mention in the boardroom. No point guard worth a damn will ever want to play alongside Harden. It's a death knell for their future contract signing possibilities. Beverly-types are the perfect pgs to have next to him, guys who are selfless and play D. Not many of them around.

Reply #586151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm Harden isnt top 5 in the NBA. He is pretty much the sole reason that team is above the 76er type squads, BUT for the same reason, the reason the Rockets arent even in the same discussion as the top 6 in the West. If the Jazz had beaten that depleted Clipper squad at home towards the end of the regular season, they wouldnt have even made it. The Rockets lost to the damn Phoenix Suns at home... sad team. Sad 'leader'. Drake are you related to the Khardashians, get off the beards nuts. Look at the NBA forums etc he is being blasted for his style of play.

Reply #586153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A quote I read yesterday - "Harden is unique in that he's capable of carrying a team that more or less quits because of him."

Reply #586155 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think some people are far too harsh on Harden. He is a great player. Definitely top 10 in the league right now, and when he plays like he did last season, and more towards the end of this season. Top 5.

He Finished this season 6th in win shares and 4th in wins above replacement.

The aim of the game is to put the ball in the basket and there's not many guys who can do it as well as him.

Now, does he have weaknesses? Sure. But they're not insurmountable.

It is possible to build a contender around the beard, it's just a matter of whether the Rockets can find the right supporting pieces

Reply #586164 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Howard missed 41 games but all throughout that season guys like Beverley and Montijunes also missed a number of games. You think it was only ward missing. Harden was wining games with the likes of Tarik Black and Pappanikolu or whatever thee names were starting. He had even less talent then what Russ had.

Reply #586167 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

That is why he won the PLAYERS MVP choice because he was carrying a bunch of scrubs on his shoulders.

Reply #586168 | Report this post

drake  
Years ago

Cram I think it is widely acknowledged that Jeff Van Gundy a Houston resident will be their new coach and hopefully he is someone that can muster some understanding with Harden that defence matters. Having had to be a fan and put up with last seasons fiasco was tiresome and hard to take.

As for Harden the only thing that is stopping him from greatness is defence and turnovers.If he cant turn it around on the defensive end under Van Gundy who is one of the best defensive minded coaches in a while then the Rockets management need to seriously contemplate the idea of moving him.

Reply #586170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rockets problems start with Harden. He is the most overrated player in the NBA and a world away from being rated in the top 5 players in the NBA.
If you watch Rockets games he just dribbles the air out of the ball while the other players stand and watch, then with shot clock winding down he tries to draw a foul on the defender and go to the place where he scores half his points!!

And to top it off he plays absolutely no defence! in fact its a disgrace the type of defence he plays!! Any other player and they wouldn't come off the bench!!!

Reply #586172 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Harden dosent play defence but he is better then Westbrook

Just stop it.

Reply #586174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP no way is 1 max player going to sign with the rockets let alone a 2nd to turn them into a contender and no decent coach will go near them while head case harden is around killing coaches.

Reply #586180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be somewhat fair to Harden Kevin McFail hardly qualifies as a quality coach. The man might have been better then the interm Coach JB Bickerstaf but that hardly makes him a good coach. Just ask the folks in Minny.

He was a terrible coach. Last seasons success is more attributed to Hardens MVP calibre season then anything McHale did.

Reply #586253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754