proud
Years ago

Collingwood to enter netball side, NBL next?

Rumour going around that the Collingwood Magpies are not only looking to expand by getting a women's AFL team but want to enter a team into the transTasman netball championship next season when it expands by a few teams... Mentioned on ABC's offsiders program last Sunday.

Does anybody believe that a WNBL or even NBL team may also be a viable option.... If they share sponsors and can advertise them 12 months a year then the output for a NBL side should be paid for by the extra eyes on the sponsors...

Does anybody think any other club in Australia could try this (supposedly Richmond were trying) but I think South Sydney have a vast supporter base as do Canterbury ?

Topic #39330 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could be interesting but I doubt it would happen. In Europe the owners of teams like Barcelona own both the Soccer and Basketball teams.

Reply #586287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been rumoured for a while.

Reply #586299 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Richmond bid was simply a back-door effort by former Dragons owner Mark Cowan. It might be different now LK is in charge, but there was no way the NBL was letting Cowan back in.

The Collingwood idea actually makes a lot of sense.
They have money, and know how to run a professional sporting outfit. (Two attributes that seem to be sadly lacking in the NBL.)
The AFL are possibly less likely to oppose Collingwood. (The AFL, not the clubs, owns all the trademarks for each club, and opposed Richmond's desire to use the Richmond Tigers brand, but the Pies are much more powerful.)
They have by far the biggest Victorian supporter base, probably only second to the Eagles in the nation. If they could switch even a fraction of those to watching NBL in the off-season, they would be off to a flyer.
Competition for new fans in AFL is intense in Melbourne. The ability to promote the club to potential new fans throughout the year, could be of benefit.
IIRC Black & White were the colours of the Magic, so they could perhaps resurrect that Brand.

Reply #586300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Netball is a complementary product, basketball is a competing product. For that reason I can't see it happening.

Reply #586301 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I love the idea of the one club style that lots of europe has.

Would be awesome to have one brand something like this:

Winter Oval: AFL
Winter Court: Netball
Summer Oval: Cricket
Summer Court: Basketball

The problem is of course that there are 18 AFL teams and there is absolutely no way you could have 18 cricket, basketball and netball teams.

My dream scenario:
15,000 seat indoor stadium next to the Adelaide Oval.
2 Adelaide Sports clubs both having teams in the 4 codes.
The Adelaide oval precinct would be a hive of activity and I think all markets could work together well.

Reply #586303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No thanks, I don't want a club playing global Olympic sports I follow like basketball and football then donning hte same colours to play a trivial local boofhead game.

Reply #586311 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Does anyone remember the Collingwood Warriors in the NSL? They lasted one season. Remember Collingwood is the most hated sporting club in Australia.

Reply #586321 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Netball is a complementary product, basketball is a competing product.
How so?

Reply #586343 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Anon, the trivial local boofhead game you refer to is soooooo far ahead of competing global sports in this market that it's barely worth a comparison.

However, basketball as a summer sport doesn't really need to compete with it. There should be enough support for a second NBL team in Melbourne without any link to Collingwood (or anyone else) being necessary.

Reply #586348 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Remember Collingwood is the most hated sporting club in Australia.

Yet another reason it is an excellent idea.

Reply #586351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Attendance would be an issue. The only time Collingwood supporters are inside is jail time. And the rest of Australia could not stand any more of Eddy.

Reply #586353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly, I got to the word Collingwood and couldn't read any further. What is this thread about?

Reply #586355 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The idea of making this post was to say that they are open to going into other sports.

I don't recall Collingwood in the NSL but I certainly remember Carlton.

I don't really like the idea of having two clubs in Adelaide with an entrant in NBL/AFL/BBL/ANZ but I think it would really help the rest of us hate Port Adelaide more.

As for Collingwood having an NBL team, keep in mind that they have a captain that loves basketball and I'm sure he could help sell the product to their members and I think a Collingwood vs United would be a fierce rivalry with United say they are for everybody bar Collingwood and as for the idea of including Magic as part of Collingwood, that could be cool as a heritage round jersey

Reply #586384 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I remember Collingwood in the NSL. I believe Zoran Matic left the coaching job at Adelaide City to take the reins at Collingwood, IIRC? If I'm right, big mistake Zoran.

Reply #586390 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Oops, just looked it up. After Collingwood folded, he came back to City. I guess I don't remember as well as I thought.

Reply #586391 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

This could only happen if Eddie were to suddenly get hooked on basketball or if he were to see it as a business opportunity to further grow his ( Collingwoods) brand at a relatively low cost.
A possible impediment might be how they view the current deal with LK.
In the AFL no body tells Collingwood what to do, but in the NBL LK has control...for another couple of years.

Reply #586550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754