Asics Gel
Years ago

Hawks Announce Nick Kay Signing

It appears this rumour was true, Nick Kay has signed with the Hawks.

The thing that I like is that it is another two year deal. Good to see the Hawks building a team to mould together with an eye to the future.

http://www.hawks.com.au/featured-news/nbl-rookie-of-the-year-nick-kay-joins-hawks/

Topic #39333 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

As good as Kay looked last season I don't like this signing due to who is already on the roster.The Hawks need an athletic 4/5 who can defend, run the floor and rebound.

AJ, Kay, Ellis and Forman leave no room for an import big. Interior D and rebounding have been the number one weakness of the club since ...well since many seasons ago.

Would have preferred Steindl if I had the choice in the 3 with an athlete import 4/5 and a stud import 2.

Reply #586307 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

^ I totally agree, like the signing but I really wanted the Hawks to go far a import PF that could rebound, hopefully they still do I hate the thought of Forman and Ellis having to guard opposition bigs.

Reply #586364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import 2 like Clarke speed and range, import 3 athletic with handles and range backed up by Connrad and cheaper import 4/5 athletic to rebound and block/change shots (Charles Jackson type)and that gives us a very solid team IF we can afford it....

Reply #586365 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay has a real chance to blossom into one of the best PFs in the comp, so I struggle to see why a Hawks fan wouldn't be happy... It may not be the best fit on paper, but with the right imports there's no reason why they can't balance it out.

Reply #586370 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

I like Kay's potential. Everyone looking at his NZNBL stats at the moment seem to forget he is in his first year as a professional athlete. Backing up from the NBL season proper would be taking its toll on his body right now.
I think next season in a situation where he won't have to be THE dominant big he will really flourish.

I am not sure where all this Rotnei Clarke talk comes from, but in my opinion I would be surprised if they did sign him considering they have Rhys Martin, Mitch Norton and Kevin White on the books already. Not much height in the backcourt.

Reply #586372 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Kay is an outstanding addition. I just can't fathom Bevo's thinking with signing both Ossie and Ellis. Maybe he's planning on utilising Ossie as an 11th man? I nmy opinion Kay has the potential to develop into the next Matty Knight - minus the flopping hopefully.

As for Clarke - he approached the Hawks again but his manager keeps dicking Bevo around so it's not going to happen. They were in talks with Maric also but he wants a little too much - I'm sure other clubs could afford him though.

Reply #586376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the thing with Clarke is that he is a flat out scorer with deep range, yes he is small but great speed, his D was a little weak so hopefully improved in Germany. Possibly use an import 3 to play some minutes at the 2 against bigger guards and have Connrad at the 3. One thing for sure is we are going to need a scorer after loosing Penny & Lisch and Rotnie can definitely do that. Cant wait for some import signings, c'mon Bevo do your thing mate.

Reply #586378 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm struggling to see how any Hawks fan would be complaining about this signing... I'm sure most Kings fans would gladly take him off your hands...

Reply #586383 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

Wookiee, I am sure a lot of Hawks fans are well aware of the Kings attempts to steal their good players.
Not sure of one time it worked for them though.
Hubbard? Withers? Thomas? Saville? Lisch?

There must be something special in the waters of the Illawarra.

Reply #586385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie, the Kings fans would love to hear a heart beat is ticking at the moment. There has been absolutely nothing coming from Gaze or the team about signings.

Its becoming a joke already!

Reply #586388 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Haven't they already got Khazzouh, Hill, Garlepp, Lisch and Cadee? Add one Aussie and three imports and the main rotation is done.

I wouldn't expect too many import signings in April or May when a lot of comps around the world are still going.

Reply #586389 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

To be picky though AG, in this case it wouldn't have been picking off one of your existing players, it would have been competing for a FA so different case all together :)

I agree hearing about a heartbeat would be good... We've heard stuff when there's been stuff to hear, so it's not really a case of lack of communicating moreso that other teams are being successful in their moves and the Kings aren't...

That might be the main rotation Paul but I'm hoping that we can do better than having Hill in there with the others...

The way it stands is we need to fill two more guard spots, SF positions and at least one or two more quality bigs if Gus isn't returning...

Not sure if we need to have three imports, I really think that having 3 in your starting line up isn't really Aussie basketball, but that's just me... Would love to try to entice Madge back even though he seems to have really enjoyed Belgium, but with a bub on the way?

I just really hope they've got something good and local up their sleeves as the lack of any communication and Gaze still at least publicly focused on the Tigers, and other great local options already locked in, isn't filling me with a lot of hope...

Reply #586399 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you'll find Hill is a pretty decent back-up in a decent system, which you'd imagine Vickerman will introduce. Khazzouh, import, Garlepp and Hill is a good frontcourt so long as they get the import right.

Reply #586402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754