Master Chief
Years ago

Adelaide sign Majok Deng

Sorry guys couldn't get a link to work. Boti has story up.

Topic #39353 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

MAJOK Deng has completed a thoroughly impressive US college career and later this week should be revealed as another big NBL signing for Adelaide 36ers.

The Sudanese-born Adelaide forward has starred at University of Louisiana (Monroe), the 208cm senior leading the 2015-16 Sun Belt Conference in scoring, averaging 19.0 points per game.

Deng, 23, also led the Sun Belt in blocks (1.9 bpg), was third in minutes (37.5 mpg) and offensive rebounds (5.3 orpg), fifth in three-point field goal percentage (42), seventh in rebounding (6.9 rpg) and eighth in free throw percentage at 79.

He finished sixth in the US in scoring among internationally-born players.
Full story

Reply #587036 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sixers putting together a nice roster!

Reply #587037 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

The club has done a good job fooling us this off season.

We've got two quality college guys and came close to Newley

Deng taking Walkers spot ?

Reply #587039 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

We never spoke to Newley. This is a great addition and will be a key piece in the future but I doubt he makes much impact in his rookie year. Expect the Sixers to announce Trevis Simpson as their import in the coming weeks.

Reply #587041 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Tom, not saying you're wrong but articles by Boti and Aussie Hoopla suggest Adelaide were close.

Reply #587043 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrL-G_dHN2Y]

Some highlights for all of you. Has a 3pt game, looks like he can shoot it a bit which is handy for a big. Solid size with wingspan will be handy on both offence and D

Reply #587044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His shot blocking, rebounding and athleticism is what intreigues me the most, if that can translate to NBL this is a great signing,

36ers are putting together an excellent young core, with alot of potential over the next few years with guys like Drmic, Creek, Deng on the roster

Reply #587047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would like to see Starling as well. Hear he wants to sign up for Aussiehood

Reply #587051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Listed at 6ft 10 and 185 pounds, very thin, Adelaide look like building team for the future.

Reply #587054 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well I am sure he will be a backup to Johnson and an import centre, so he will be fine I am sure.

Reply #587058 | Report this post

Asics Gel  
Years ago

Not meaning to offend, but watching that highlight I felt like I was watching Manute Bol highlights.

Long shot blocker with a 3 point shot.
Problem was, he would often be outmuscled in the post and I think this could happen to Deng a lot.

Reply #587059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A guy with that build needs handles to be able to get to the rack, not post up against bigger bodies. Thinking Durant style of play?

Reply #587062 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He is a real talent, and with Drmic also on the squad, some serious three-point shooting added to the 36ers!

Reply #587071 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With Johnson, Hodgson and an import PF to come, he isn't going to be expected to carry the load. Exciting signing, even if it may take him a little time to develop.

Reply #587073 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If this guy is going to be the back up PF spells the end of Walker's chances of being re-signed.

Reply #587079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I for one am more than fine if Walker doesn't return. Too many brain fades. Hopefully this guy can become a player and make some sort of immediate impact. Atleast happy to see some new faces in the team
Not the same old recycled Joey Wright types! Bit of optimism...

Reply #587087 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I just think it's great to see new faces in the league in general, and some welcome returns.

Reply #587090 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm not an ADL fan, but surely the signing of Drmic is just as good if not better than signing Newley.

I mean, you could argue Drmic is not far behind Newley.

Throw in the fact that Drmic is young and it has the potential to be a better signing than Newley i would have thought?

Reply #587103 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Exactly how I feel MACDUB.

Reply #587106 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Newley is a Boomer and has been playing in one of the best leagues in the world and is just 31 years old. I doubt very much Drmic is close to Newley RIGHT NOW, but in a year or two, who knows. As a scorer? Maybe. But Newley's strength is his overall game across the board.

Looks like Adelaide are going a different route - almost the Cairns/Crocs route, rather than try compete with the payroll of other sides and splash on big names, bring in young guys and develop them instead (although I doubt they were cheap). Could be a smart move, and definitely less risk than the WIN NOW AT ALL COSTS moves that seem to be happening.

Reply #587110 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I see Drmic as a young Newley but with a better shot...

Reply #587112 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Deng looks like a pretty versatile player for his position. Wonder how much playing opportunity is factoring into these college guys signing with Adelaide.

Presumably they add an import PF, but if Deng is good enough, he could grow to own that starting role in a year or so, depending on who's around him.

Reply #587124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754