LC
Years ago

Melbourne United confirm signing of Cedric Jackson

2 year deal apparently.

This from MU media release:

"Coach Dean was the reason I wanted to sign with Melbourne. We had a quick conversation after the first round of the play offs and I picked his brain a little bit. We then caught up again during the off season in the US and we had a good conversation. He had a good vibe about him as a person and coach."

“With both of us sharing prior NBA experience I think he has what it takes to relate and elevate my game as a player.”

Topic #39354 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/featured-news/cedric-jackson-signs-melbourne/

Reply #587072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salary cap out the door.

Reply #587080 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So Melbourne look to be angling for something like this:

Andersen?/Patton
Majok/Wesley?
Blanchfield/Barlow/Odigie
Goulding?/ Hadziomerovic
Jackson/Tomlinson

That's a hell of a team and pretty well balanced too, although apparently there could be a change on the backcourt bench, don't know if anyone else has heard that?

Reply #587095 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I was under the impression they were still keeping Holt as well?

Reply #587097 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Translation: they offered me the most money lol

Reply #587098 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

LOL, Mystro...spot on!

Reply #587105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lisch and Jackson would be worth spending big on, IMO. Has any single player in recent years seen such success in their NBL seasons as Jackson?

Reply #587125 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Right place at the right time, had the player's around him to make him be that successful. Top player no doubt, say Webster didn't come back this season, couldn't see Nz in the finals.

Also add my argument, no fit damo in two of the five gf he played in.

Reply #587127 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Cats 4 life, no doubt that NZ had the talent but it's an interesting pattern that the only time NZ didn't manage to either win or make the GF was the season Jackson wasn't there.

Reply #587131 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

It's also worth also noting that the year NZ didn't make the finals they had just come off a Three-Peat and had a new Coach but I'm not going to take anything away from Jackson. He's a hell of a player and competitor and will make Melbourne a better team for sure.

Reply #587146 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

ME - there was a rumour to that effect on here.

Based on the NBL free agents' list and this announcement, United have filled 7 spots on their roster. That leaves 4 uncontracted spots on the roster of 11.

Boti Nagy's post about Jackson's signing is adamant Barlow's been re-signed (as per paul's team above) and Wesley's signed, with United simply holding off on making the announcements.

So that would leave two spots to be filled. Goulding and a big (like Andersen, if he was agreeable) would probably be preferred ahead of Holt?

Reply #587147 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Can we get rid of Patton and Tomilson please...

Reply #587148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any team desperately short of local talent would want to go for Holt, you'd think?

But with Townsville out, I'm not sure any team wouldn't be covered by the three import provision? Maybe Cairns in replacing Bruce? Get Holt and then find the cheapest, useful import you could?

I really think this three import thing is going to prove unnecessary without an expansion team.

Reply #587152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Tomilson's a terrible player. Never scores. Nothing on the stats sheet ever.

Reply #587158 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct me if wrong, but I think Jackson has played in the season four years, won four assist titles, played in four grand finals and won four club MVPs on GF-bound teams? If that's right they are truly legendary achievements, especially when you throw in two GF MVPs!

Huge signing for Melbourne, now they've got to make sure they play a style that brings out his best, which I don't think their style from last season would.

Reply #587162 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Once again the NBL pre-season is full of changes and so much predictive talk, love it actually and it does provide plenty to look forward to for next season.

United lost it this past season, falling on their sword by relying on the 3 point game too much IMHO.

Replacing Kickert with Jackson (not a direct replacement, I know), does give them a very different look.

Their bigs are now mostly post players and happy to be in the paint, something we know Kickert isn't as comfortable with, so it remains to be seen how Jackson and Goulding can share the scoring duties and how the chemistry evolves.

It could be a master stroke!

Reply #587195 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Jackson gives them exactly what they lacked last year - an actual PG who can get them running a set in the halfcourt. Blanchfield Should probably benefit the most - he was the odd-man out last year, but with a bit more structure on offense he figures to get more involved.

Reply #587199 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That's a good point also, I agree that it shouldn't be about Goulding because he should still be good enough to make a difference and of course can win games off his own back, however that can also be a team weakness.

Look at the game yesterday between Spurs & Thunder, just as an example.

Westbrook gets heaps of accolades for scoring most points, and he did play very well, but how important was the big Kiwi Adams in the scheme of things to get that win.

He defended and limited the Spurs big men down low, got himself 12 points and without him I don't think it would have mattered how many Westbrook scored. You limit the Spurs players like Diaw and Duncan like that and they need points from the outside, but Patty, Ginobli and Parker didn't quite get it done...

So, for United, if they can establish their inside game better it should make their outside game more effective, the result could be a grand final appearance!

Time will tell, of course.

Reply #587201 | Report this post

TheBeardedMarxist  
Years ago

Should sign Holt as well.

Reply #587205 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So LK's quest to buy himself a championship continues...
Just hope he doesn't get bored when he finally succeeds.

I'm a big rap on Jackson, he has been the best PG in the league for several seasons. But gotta be honest, he's getting on a bit. Not sure he's still worth what Melbourne would have paid?

Reply #587356 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754