Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats retain Jarrod Kenny for three seasons

The Perth Wildcats have re-signed 2016 championship player, Jarrod Kenny.

Kenny, who impressed in his debut NBL season, will remain a Wildcat for another three seasons.

The popular New Zealander is very pleased to be staying with the team.

"The Wildcats took a chance on me last season and I will be forever thankful for that," he said.

“To be offered a mature-age contract and then go on to win a championship with a great group of guys in my rookie season was really a dream come true.

“I'm very excited to be coming back to Perth next season. It’s a rare opportunity to build a legacy and I’m determined to be a part of that.”
Full story

Decent backstory for Kenny who didn't crack the NBL until aged 29-30.

Topic #39358 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, he was a lot better than just about everyone would've expected, I'd guess.

Reply #587129 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Him and Damian Martin had a funny Facebook exchange last week.

If the Kangaroos won the RL, Kenny would have to change his Facebook picture to an Australian flag. If the Kiwis won, Martin would have to change his Facebook picture to a Kiwi Flag.

Loe and behold, Kenny's profile picture is an Australian flag ;)

Reply #587130 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Kenny rose to the occasion and proved his doubters (myself included) wrong. Well done securing a longer contract and finding a home at the Wildcats.I look forward to seeing him play in 16/17

Reply #587133 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Welcome back Jarrod. Good to see him back.

Reply #587134 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Should we read anything into Kenny signing announcement being made before other players with more tenure with the club?

Reply #587135 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That he had fewer suitors and didn't ask for as much cash? ;)

Reply #587136 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

AngusH is right.

No brainer for Kenny and his expectations were probably lower than most and given he wanted to reward Perth for their belief in him, he probably didn't sit on an offer too long.

Other Wildcats players probably have a few more demands/expectations and want to test the open market a bit more.

Natural employee behaviour. Good analogy is like a recent grad/first year working jumping at what an employer offers vs. someone in their late 20s with 4-5 years experience exploring other job opps. before jumping at the first one.

Reply #587137 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I would say most of the Wildcats team have verbally signed but are waiting to here on what Jawai, Prather and Bealare doing before the contract gets drawn up. Can't see Martin, Hire or Redhage going anywhere.

Reply #587145 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like the signing as she is a proven backup point guard and the house below him is very limited... Corey Maynard (love his effort) and McDonald (didn't see him much) are about the only non contracted point guards and as for clubs, I can't see him going to Sydney and keeping Cadee as a starter so I'm sure he jumped at the chance.

Smart move by the Wildcats to announce someone as they are no w 3-4 (can't recall if Damo is announced) and the club is still trying to get memberships.

My desired team would still be

Gladness/Knight
Motum/Wagstaff
Steindl/Hire
Prather/cheap import sharpshooter(even a Christopherson type)
Martin/Kenny/Maynard

That team has three that can play C, 4 PF, 3SF, 4SG and 3 PG... I like that we have that opportunity to play big or small and switch defenses and the like, Knight won't have so much workload on his shoulders yet keeps Gladness honest.

I know I'll cop shot for saying Christopherson but I don't think 36ers ever really gave him much of a chance but I actually mean that he came to the league as one our highest credentialed shooters and I like that we have another shooter with Steindl and Wagstaff and Motum

Reply #587149 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Why on Earth would you want a Christopherson type?

"The Mircowave" barely hit a shot while he was here. Could possibly have been the worst import "shooter" I have ever witnessed.

Reply #587150 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Proud, you shouldn't be proud of that post.

Christopherson wasn't really a "highly credentialed shooter". He was meant to be a good shooter, but he hit nothing when here and looked like a child among giants out there. There is no place for him in the NBL. He wasn't hard done by and he got all the opportunities one could expect - certainly more than Massingale.

Christopherson should just stick to to Mongolian B league.

Reply #587151 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind seeing a team looking like this.

Martin/Kenny
Import/Stiendl
Prather/Hire
Knight/Wagstaff/Redhage
Jawai/Ibekwe

Reply #587159 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Gladness is the ideal backup C in the NBL and could be a good replacement for Jervis, but if they lose Jawai as well Perth will need a better import than Mickell alongside Knight if they're going to contend.

Reply #587163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please keep Jawai.

Reply #587167 | Report this post

Some_fulla  
Years ago

How much would would he be on per season then? 50-60k?

Reply #587171 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I said Christopherson as when we first heard about him he was touted as being like 38% 3FG%, I can't remember FG% and I'm sure FT% was like 95%... I'm saying that I'd like them to have someone that may not cost much but will hit open 3s and his FTs... Not after someone clutch but solid enough to keep Prather or whomever else playing SG honest and yet push for more minutes themselves.

Perhaps I should have said a Dale Ellis(end of career) type

Reply #587173 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Whoops that was meant to be 48%3FG shooter

Reply #587174 | Report this post

Big J  
Years ago

Proud - are you Christopherson agent or mum?

Reply #587178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think either would be proud.

Reply #587179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was solid, but had his ups and downs. 3 years I feel is slightly too generous for a guy of his age and the performance he delivered last year, unless it's at a dirt cheap rate that they wanted to lock up.

Cats need to be wary of hampering future flexibility simply in the name of "bringing everyone back". The league is evolving quickly and what is a championship roster today could look very different in two years time.

Reply #587181 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Harshest paul comment ever. Hard to disagree though.

Why would any Perth fan be listing Knight off the bench? Wagstaff is starting calibre too though supposedly he likes coming off the bench (though I think he's just saying that).

Reply #587187 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Knight is injury prone, he may be 29-30 but he certainly won't be playing at Redhages age so my thinking is that you keep questioning him to make sure he stays at a high level of play and I don't think 20 minutes a game is that insulting.

I agree that he is one of the best PF/C in the league and should have been all NBL first team last year.

I think if you go in with the mentality that he HAS to start then your limiting who else you can have on the team.

I'd be happy to have Gladness coming off the bench but the point I'm making is that training will be brutal for starting spots with my roster and I hope it brings out the best in everyone.

Nope definitely not Scotts mother or agent, just a believer that guards should be able to 'hit water if they fall out of a boat' and Earnest Ross, Drake U'u types don't do it for me

Reply #587190 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Ross & U'u were simply gimmicks.

Reply #587193 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nope definitely not Scotts mother or agent, just a believer that guards should be able to 'hit water if they fall out of a boat'
So your solution to this is the tenth-worst shooter in NBL history?

Reply #587194 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Ross would have had a better stint here if he was in better shape.

While at Perth, his playing weight was well above his college days which probably didn't help and indirectly lead to his Achilles injury i would think.

His college stats were very impressive.

He was with Ballarat huh? Can anyone shed some light on whether he was/in shape with the Miners and how he looked?

Drake U'U simply wasn't that good - don't mean to sound harsh, but his stats on a mid-major team were fairly average.

Reply #587196 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Judging by stats alone, Ross has done well for Ballarat so far - 21.9 PPG 6.4 RPG .365 3pt%.

Reply #587197 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I would consider Jawai will stay as he appears very happy in Perth. Rookie player and potential future big Vague should also stay and be developed into the next replacement for the Wildcat's power forward brigade too...

Good to see Kenny stay, he is so solid, there when you need him and I bet he is a top bloke to boot!

Reply #587198 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Just throwing some names out there possible targets for the cats i would like to see.

Ben madgen
Cameron bairstow
Stephen holt (possible un-restricted)
Angus brant

Reply #587200 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Your wish comes true....

cats have signed Angus Brandt.

Reply #587203 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Well that just made me a happy little vegemite.

Reply #587206 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Kenny proved to be a brilliant pickup, and a very capable backup PG. Gleeson will challenge him to shoot more next season (so, great minds, as they say.)

He is a very necessary part of the team, and really had no other options besides the NBL, so I'd suggest both parties were happy to ink a deal. Plus he would know that he has to snare his slice of the bench-cap, so he'd be happy to sign now.

Martin's exact contract status is a bit of a mystery, but he's locked in. I suspect that when the dust has settled and all contract are known, they will ink a new extension.

Jawai is wanted, but they are waiting to see if he gets a better offer (ie Europe) in which case they will use the 3rd import slot to replace him.

Prather is wanted, but they are waiting to see if he gets an NBA offer. Otherwise they'll go import scouting.

Not certain on Beal. It's probably a bit of a two-way wait, to see if he gets a better offer, or if they can find a better SG.

Hire is probably sniffing out other offers and they'll be waiting to see how the squad develops. He was really the square-peg last season, so there is reason to wait and see.

Redhage is poised for retirement. It just depends of whether there is a spot left for him, and if so whether they can pay him a salary that isn't a total insult. If he re-signs, he'll likely be the final piece in the puzzle.

Wroe showed promise. He may be under consideration for an "11th man" spot, or another year as a DP.

Kernich-Drew was kept around as a training player. He also is a chance at the 11th man spot.

Reply #587337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754