Isaac
Years ago

Steph Curry first unanimous MVP pick

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry became the NBA's first unanimous Most Valuable Player on Tuesday, winning the award for a second straight season.

Curry, 28, swept all 131 first-place votes, including 130 from a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters and one from the Kia MVP fan vote. San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard was second in the voting, followed by Cleveland Cavaliers forward LeBron James.
PLAYER, TEAM POINTS
Stephen Curry, Warriors 1,310*
Kawhi Leonard, Spurs 634
LeBron James, Cavaliers 631
Russell Westbrook, Thunder 486
Kevin Durant, Thunder 147
Chris Paul, Clippers 107
After returning from injury in game 4 against the Blazers, Curry came off the bench and missed many of his early three point attempts, including an ugly air ball. However, by the end of the game, he had 40 points including 17 points in overtime - an NBA record.

Posted this before, but I find it incredible that he won MVP last season with 23.8 PPG, then scored 30.1 PPG this season (50.4% FG, 45.4% 3P, 90.8% FT!) and helped his team to the best record in history. MVP^2!

His career mixtape from the NBA's YouTube account is worth watching:

Topic #39360 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Personally, the PPG is one thing. Players have done that in the past.

But i don't believe we have witnessed a player do it shooting the way he has (50-40-90 club). It's simply unbelievable and jaw-dropping.

I noticed some salty T-Mac comments overnight and I do actually feel sorry for him.

Came across his stats from one season in Orlando and it makes for ridiculous reading - 32ppg, 6.5rpg, 5.5apg on circa 46% GF, 39%3 and 80% FT.

Reply #587138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How is TMac's comment not ridiculous, calling the league watered down?

LeBron and Kawhi, CP3, the OKC boys, Draymond, etc - some outstanding players. Then Paul George, Harden, Lillard, Cousins as well.

Curry had his personal numbers, the amazing shooting stats, the never-before-seen team record, etc. No surprise to see a unanimous vote. And he's going to face one of the toughest opposition defenders and special attention every night before he gets those shots up.

Reply #587153 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No i actually agree with you. Just felt sorry for him that he didn't play for a better team/have better players around him.

League is definently not watered down at all. There is amazing talent out there.

Reply #587154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great vid

Reply #587155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ T-MAC couldn't even make the playoffs

Reply #587437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With media exposure increasing year by year (which means hearing a lot more from the stars of yesteryear) I think a lot of these ex-players are making these comments simply as a defense mechanism and to protect their own legacies as they feel threatened. FACT is every year the players are more and more talented.

Reply #587438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754