RMQ
Years ago

Wildcats sign Angus Brandt - two year deal.

The Perth Wildcats have made the first new addition to their 2016/17 roster, acquiring Australian big man Angus Brandt.

The 208cm, 112kg centre/forward has signed a two-year deal with the reigning NBL Champions.

As well as size and strength, Brandt brings excellent energy on the defensive end, while having the ability to stretch the floor and create opportunities for his teammates with the ball in his hands.

The 26-year-old is excited to be joining the Perth Wildcats.

"One of the things I was looking for in a team was professionalism, and to go somewhere that had the facilities and the set-up where I could develop and work on my game and try to become the best player I can be," he said.

“I pride myself on being a hard-worker. Whether we're down 20 or up 20, I like to think I play consistently. I play hard no matter what the situation is.”

Brandt played college basketball at Oregon State University.

In his senior year he averaged 12.7 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game as a starter.

The New South Welshman then joined the Sydney Kings in his first season as a professional, going on to be named the NBL’s Rookie of the Year in 2015.

In his most recent season with the Kings he averaged 8.1 points per game at 51.8 per cent from the field, plus 5.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocked shots.

He is currently playing with Lithuanian powerhouse club BC Neptunas.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson said Brandt has a huge up side.

“His strength is going to be a bonus for us around the basket. He’s only going to mature over the next three or four years and we’re very happy to have him here at the Wildcats,” he said.

“We want him to be a stable force for us. Obviously we hit the post a lot, and we want to bring his passing ability out. What I like is his tenacity to get after the ball. His rebounding is good for the minutes he plays.

“We’re after him to provide an interior force for us.”

Angus Brandt has represented Australia in a series against the Chinese National Team as well as at the World University Games.

He’ll arrive in Perth following the Lithuanian Basketball League season.

Topic #39362 | Report this topic

RMQ  
Years ago

Solid replacement for Jervis. I'd still prefer Jervis though, but I would think Brandt is cheaper.

Therefore more money for Prather, Jawai and new Beal.

Reply #587204 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Totally agree with you rmq but brandt's ability to play the power forward position as well as centre gives the cats that extra flexibility and as you said you would think at a much more marked down price.

Reply #587207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus is a great signing for Perth and a lost to the Kings leaving them without backup to Khazzou.

Reply #587208 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

In time will be much better than Jervis. Has been doing alright over in Europe. Expecting a real breakout season for Angus

Reply #587209 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He's been a starter for more of his NBL career than a force off the bench and I think he'll be quite valuable for us, still would have rather our front court to be Gladness, Motum, Knight, Wagstaff but I think he's a good pickup and hopefully we can still attain Motum or Gladness still.

I find it a little puzzling hearing that he is a budget buy or atleast cheaper than Jervis as I would have guessed that Brandt would be on more as he is younger with more upside but who knows.

Would still love to have Steindl join us now!

Reply #587212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tend to agree with you on that Brandt probably isn't a cheaper option than Jervis. Maybe cheaper than what Brisbane paid to snare Jervis, but that would have been more than the Wildcats offered.

Reply #587213 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I imagine they're on similar money. The reason Jervis left was likely the guarantee of a starting role.

Reply #587225 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

Would love to see Motum in cats colours but are we even sure he's even looking at the NBL.
It's been mentioned in the news Bairstow is so would he be more of a chance to aquire but then hey this is just crystal ball stuff here.

Reply #587227 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Does anyone think this move is more driven by the possibility of Nate not returning or do the little birdies around Perth speak of Nate staying? I understood that Nate has made no commitment yet.

Reply #587228 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

With Melbourne pretty much out of the Jawai stakes you would think it is between Perth and Cairns vying for his services.

Reply #587232 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

I don't think Brandt's signing is a strong enough indicator that nate is not returning to the wildcats.
You would think his decision would come down to family or money or maybe both.
Who knows he could even be in talks with a overseas team either way I'm sure he will make the right choice for himself and his family.

Reply #587233 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

As for this signing, just look at how well Brandt performed as a starter. The guy is a quality player.

Reply #587234 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Yeah I can see him returning to Perth. Perth has a lot more resources to help him to get the best out himself for the rest of his career and most importanty win championships!.

Reply #587235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zzzzzzzzzzz

Reply #587236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I correct in saying Brandt also has three point range?

Reply #587238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

zzzzzzzzzzz

Reply #587240 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sad to see him go, especially to Perth. Really struggled his rookie year, but took huge strides the last 1/3rd of this past season. Dunks everything around the basket, and showed some potential from midrange and maybe out to the 3pt line. Hard to judge his D given how poor we were as a unit. He hustles hard and plays with energy, at worst.

Good luck to him anyway, one of the few bright spots on that 2015/16 Kings team.

Reply #587241 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good pick-up, a quality NBL back-up who will most likely develop into a good starter. He'll learn a lot off Matt Knight.

He's getting some good expreience OS too, even though it isn't at an overly high standard (his team's best player is Jerai Grant), which should give him some new tricks next season.

Reply #587243 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Got be honest, I was impressed with Brandt this season, so I think he's an excellent pickup for the Cats. Very sad to see Jervis go, but good luck to him, and Brandt is a great replacement.

Reply #587300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754